Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What bothers me most about this past season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

What bothers me most about this past season

Dec 23, 2012, 10:55 AM

Is not so much our loss to the coots...its the fact that I still do not know how good this team is and that is a really really sad statement. I really can't blame Dabo for that because it isn't his fault the ACC has become what it is and does not field very good football teams. So fans like me are stuck pointing to just 3 games where we can judge this team. FSU, USUCK, and the bowl game against LSU. Thank god we got a good draw with a quality team for our final game and one more shot at redemption. We MUST beat LSU or this season will not be known as disappointing it will be known as a disaster. There is absolutely no way of knowing if we are making progress or not because the only teams we are beating are mediocre teams and that is a stretch is saying that. Unless the other teams of the ACC pick it up we will be doomed staying in the ACC. I don't know what the answer is. Maybe its better we will play these type teams and maybe get a shot at a playoff spot at the end of the year and hope we are good enough to win but from a fans perspective I can't stand it. I want to play good teams so that I can judge how good our team is. I don't expect to beat all of the few good teams we play but I do expect to beat some of them and I do expect to beat the coots at least every other year. Thats not to much to ask. There are some of us who don't like Dabo and some that do...one thing that is for certain...none of us REALLY know how he is doing as a head coach and thats mainly due to the teams we are playing. He can swing me if we beat LSU but if he doesn't then things could start going south in a hurry. I would say LSU is the most important game for Dabo in his tenure so far.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What bothers me most about this past season

Dec 23, 2012, 11:04 AM

I totally agree with you how do we know that progress is actually being made playing against acc opponents that are in most part pathetic the only bright spot is we retain a coaching staff that seems dedicated to making this a better football team for the long haul

you could always take emotion out of it and rely on 3rd

Dec 23, 2012, 11:07 AM

parties to make a value judgement.

plenty of experts picked this year's team to finish much worse than 10-2. also, cds has been once again recognized as a finalist for a number of national coach of the year awards because of it of course after winning the bobby dodd in 2011.

doesn't mean we have to be happy with losing to the coots again or the fsu loss, but it might give you an idea of what the non-emotionally invested world thinks of cu and its progress.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason we were picked to finish worse this year is

Dec 23, 2012, 11:21 AM

because the ACC was expected to be better than what was shown this year...much better. Lets face it our best victory was NC State and next in line was Ball State. That speaks for itself. Don't look to much in to that 10-2 stuff...im not so certain Byrnes High couldn't have achieved that with this conference this year. This is why when we play good teams we must win some of them or 10 wins is not that impressive.

i didn't expect to win either game we lost based on what we

Dec 23, 2012, 11:31 AM

had coming back on both lines. most reasonable folks i spoke to looked to 2013 as the year to make a serious move nationally.

don't ever minimize winning; it's not easy and there are too many inexplicable losses in most every program to support it.

byrnes? and bama could contend in the nfl right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i didn't expect to win either game we lost based on what we

Dec 23, 2012, 12:22 PM

deadsolidperfect, I was going to write a comment but you are doing so well in answering the same old questions that posters continue to ask, that I decided to just say "GOOD POST". The answers are given showing advancement by our football team and everybody understands, then the next morning we are right back doing the same thing over again.

65-41-4 is the record against the Coots. Dabo has won Coach of the Year, we won the ACC Championship and have had two 10 win seasons. Our recruiting has been great and, as you stated, next year should be a really good year with the talent we have recruited. I look forward to it!

Merry Christmas! Be prepared to again answer the same questions tomorrow!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post. Some people will never be satisfied REGARDLESS

Dec 23, 2012, 4:16 PM

of what the record is and who we played. Not like every other school in America is playing top 25 teams every year. These people knocking the ACC are the same ones that stick out their chest and say I hope all the ACC teams lose. DUH!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you could always take emotion out of it and rely on 3rd

Dec 23, 2012, 6:08 PM [ in reply to you could always take emotion out of it and rely on 3rd ]

The same experts say we will lose the bowl game.

Re: you could always take emotion out of it and rely on 3rd

Dec 23, 2012, 11:18 AM

The non emotionally invested world is looking at a 10-2 record. They don't see that we have not beat a team in the top 50 and lost to the only 2 ranked teams we played.

yeah, that would be silly for someone who earns a living

Dec 23, 2012, 11:23 AM

to actually pay attention to their trade.

If a team is 10-2 they are going to be ranked in the top

Dec 23, 2012, 11:44 AM

15 regardless of how unimpressive that 10-2 record is. If we loses to all 3 ranked teams but beat all unranked, we have no business being in the top 25 even With a 10-3 record. That is how an objective 3rd party with any sense should see it. There will be too many teams with 4 losses that played better competition that should be ranked ahead of us with the total weakness of our conference sched this yr

losing to 3 top 10 teams does not make you bad or not worthy

Dec 23, 2012, 11:48 AM

of a top 25 ranking. that's just silly.

The main pt is not losing to 3 top 10 teams and

Dec 23, 2012, 11:56 AM

Not all 3 may end up in top 10. The reall point is not beating a single ranked team when yew had 3 opportunities . Also I didn't say bad and maybe we will be ranked somewhere around 22 but outside of top 15 is not a big deal

sure it's the main point. almost no one picked this team to

Dec 23, 2012, 2:32 PM

beat scar or fsu to start the year; find them if you can. lsu would have been included in the list as well.

clemson is here because they are better than expected, that doesn't mean they should win or should be downgraded because they lost to teams they weren't expected to beat.

progress is the issue that started this thread. i am pissed they lost to scar because i felt they made tremendous progress[all things considered] leading to that game and plenty enough to beat them. i'm flat miffed moreso at how cu lost.

if you want to take shots at the coaching staff for the game plan, i'll join in, but i'm not going to sit here and say this team hasn't progressed based on all i know and knew coming into the season.

I guess a lot of what has me down is the coot game

Dec 23, 2012, 3:07 PM

Up till that point I wasn't sure about how good the team was but I did know FSU was a good team and we stayed with them most the game and the game was at their house plus it was early on in the season. I felt good about how we were beating the teams we were suppose to beat but as time went on I saw how bad those teams actually were. I liked how we beat NC State in our offensive performance but because their QB ate us alive I had serious concerns and it tempered the victory for me. So coming in to the chicken game I felt it was a MUST win game for a few reasons. For starters they had beat us 3 years straight and for me thats unthinkable to lose a 4th. We were favored, they didn't have lattimore and then Shaw wasn't gonna play. It was at that point I thought it was a lock and I actually felt really good about that game...so much so that I had a dead even bet with a coot aquaintance of mine at work for 2oo bux. I do not accept the fact they had clowney as the reason they beat us...yea he is good but no way a defensive player determines that victory. Regardless it was at that point I knew that our season was what not what was being said. USUCK is an ok team but they are not all world and no way given the circumstances do we lose that game but we did. The LSU game will tell me all I need to know...if we beat them or even take them down to the last seconds it gives me great hope for next season...if we lay an egg with all thats riding on that game then I stick by my guns and call the season a disaster and don't have a good feeling for 2013. IMHO 2013 should be a make or brake year for Dabo.

Did we lose when we shouldn't have?

Dec 23, 2012, 11:25 AM

You might say we should have beaten USC-east, but we were not favored over FSU by anyone, and we are not favored over LSU. A couple of bad special teams plays cost us FSU. Still don't know what happened against the coots, I refuse to rewatch it and try to figure it out, that is the coaches job.

How good are we? Better than in September, but not as good as many would like. I think the real question should be "Are we improving every year?"

To me the more important question is "Are we developing student/athletes?" Unfortunately, many programs are just an NFL minor league, and I hope we are never in that category.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did we lose when we shouldn't have?

Dec 23, 2012, 12:05 PM

No, we didn't lose when we shouldn't have - at least I don't think so.

Could we have won the 2 that we lost? Yes, certainly. The difference between 10-2 and 12-0 over the schedule we played is not so great as a lot of folks seem to think. It can be measured by a very small percentage of overall effort, skill and sound fundamentals. But, from that sort of 12-0 to a National Championship 12-0 is a bigger jump.

Are we improving? We are greatly improved as a team over a year ago and from the beginning of this year, but some parts of our game need a little help and some parts need a lot.

The encouraging thing to me are the improvements in fundamentals. We aren't there yet, but we're getting better. Playing sound fundamentals with good technique is as much recruiting the right players as it is coaching, so it doesn't happen overnight. With good fundamentals comes being in the right place at the right time, which creates confidence and allows a player to be more aggressive.

I'm comfortable with what I see as improvement in the O-line, D-line, QB and LBs. The receivers are just fine and the RBs are as good as we need. The kickers are very good. We do need a little more improvement from the LBs and a lot of improvement from the secondary and special teams. We particularly need to learn to stay in lanes on kick coverage and we need to work more on pursuit angles and tackling fundamentals.

We pass-block pretty well, but run-blocking could use some help - although it's improving.

>>Still don't know what happened against the coots, I refuse to rewatch it and try to figure it out, that is the coaches job.<<

I was at the game and had a real good view from the 50 yd line at the portal level. I couldn't figure it out then and I can't figure it out now. Apparently the coaches and players couldn't either. After watching the recorded game over and over, there are only a couple of things I saw that stood out:

1) We never should have tried to play a 3-8 prevent with the secondary so deep. It seemed like we didn't want to stop the ball carrier until he crossed the 1st down marker. I DO NOT like that defense - never have, never will. Sometimes, you have to man up and play football.

2) We should not have stopped running the ball. It was working and working well and we should have run more at Clowney's edge.

3) We seemed to forget about the slot receiver slant route.

4) We should have thrown a couple of screens Clowney's way.

5) We should not have punted toward the end of the game when the D was getting clobbered. If we don't believe we can get 8 or 9 yards when we need it, we should walk off the field.

6) Pursuit angles and tackling fundamentals hurt us.

All-in-all, I guess I thought the USuC game was an outlier, but it sure was a bitter one to swallow. I lay most of it for that one game at the feet of the coaches, but on balance I think they've done a good job this year.

You lost me at "disaster"

Dec 23, 2012, 11:29 AM

You're either a coot or a complete idjit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: You lost me at "disaster"

Dec 23, 2012, 11:32 AM

That's not fair! Pick one for him! He cant make a decision himself!

Good point. OK, he's a

Dec 23, 2012, 11:33 AM

coojit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have not achieved any of our goals in 2012 so far

Dec 23, 2012, 11:41 AM [ in reply to You lost me at "disaster" ]

Winning 10 games is not a goal in this conference. We will have played 3 (count them) 3 quality teams by the end of our last game. We did not win the ACC and we have not beaten any quality teams as of yet. We lost to our hated rival for the 4th year in a row and we had them in our house and we were favored. Now if we lose to LSU or god forbid we lay an egg and get blown out how else could you look at our season? Your telling me a goal we had set forth was NOT losing to any teams we were suppose to beat like Wake and Duke? Surely our Tiger program has not sunk that low to have a goal such as that. A win over LSU will make this season bearable and a loss makes it a disaster dude no matter how you look at it.

If it makes you feel better, SC only beat 1 quality opponent

Dec 23, 2012, 11:48 AM

In UGA. :)

Coot!

So are we not a quality win?***

Dec 23, 2012, 11:51 AM

Just go back to FGF. Your arguments would get you

Dec 23, 2012, 4:22 PM

a few "at-a-boys" and make you feel better.

Just quoting you ######***

Dec 23, 2012, 4:35 PM

He said the coots beat one quality opponent, I mentioned

Dec 23, 2012, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Just go back to FGF. Your arguments would get you ]

That he was not counting us as a quality opponent and the typical response of go back to fgf comes. I very much consider us a quality opponent.

Re: Just go back to FGF. Your arguments would get you

Dec 23, 2012, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Just go back to FGF. Your arguments would get you ]

Probably the same attaboys we would have given their disgruntled fans a few years back when TB was handing it to them on a yearly basis right? What is your point?

According to this guy, only if we beat LSU

Dec 23, 2012, 12:17 PM [ in reply to If it makes you feel better, SC only beat 1 quality opponent ]

Comical...

Re: We have not achieved any of our goals in 2012 so far

Dec 23, 2012, 11:48 AM [ in reply to We have not achieved any of our goals in 2012 so far ]

Look, genius, we were underdogs to FSU and also to LSU. In other words, we're not expected to win those games. To say the season would be a disaster is ridiculous. Merry Christmas. Maybe Santa will bring you some good brain cells.

Re: We have not achieved any of our goals in 2012 so far

Dec 23, 2012, 12:01 PM

I just checked, Santa has him on the naughty list. He will be a flyover this year.

Disaster may be a bit harsh but your point of the goals

Dec 23, 2012, 11:49 AM [ in reply to We have not achieved any of our goals in 2012 so far ]

Simply can't be argued. No conf championship, no in state rival wn, and a loss to all 3 ranked teams will be a season that doesn't say much.

Re: Disaster may be a bit harsh but your point of the goals

Dec 23, 2012, 11:58 AM

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time since division play that 7-1 did not play for the ACC championship. FSU is a pretty dang good team. The scoffers can rail, but we tied FSU for the division.

So, actually, one goal is to win the division. We were co-champs of the Atlantic. Now, go ahead and TD me! I will gladly accept any TDs with honor!

No td but come on we could also be the fictional co-coastal

Dec 23, 2012, 12:06 PM

Champs with fsu. We are about to play our 3rd big game and yes we will be underdogs in 2 of the 3 but shouldn't we won one of them.

In the past us Clemson fans EXPECTED to win them

Dec 23, 2012, 12:13 PM

This is a new breed of clemson fan that I am totally unfamiliar with I mean what happened to us. This really is a wait till next year crowd and these guys are calling me a coot...good lord.

Yet didn't win them all.

Dec 23, 2012, 12:16 PM

You're a fake.

Re: Disaster may be a bit harsh but your point of the goals

Dec 23, 2012, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Disaster may be a bit harsh but your point of the goals ]

Oh it can be argued cause they are trying to do it. If I try to bring up facts im simply called a coot not just a concerned clemson fan. Doesn't bother me though...ive sat thru our clemson glory days and I have those memories...these idiots don't have that..they have become the coots with their wait till next year talk and settling for lemons when it should have been oranges. If it happens again next year the same crowd will once again be spewing the same stuff. We are doomed until this fan base demands more and we use to do just that....we demanded more. Those days are gone and it will be our grave.

"Glory days"

Dec 23, 2012, 12:12 PM

You mean when we lost to Duke, Georgia Tech, and NC State? You mean when we always lost a couple games we should win?

Some of you guys are either complete fakes, or have terrible memories.

Yes but we also beat GOOD teams in those years

and we beat the chickens. Give me those years that I call glory years over any thing resembling what has happened this year. I never thought I would see the day when other teams would call us weak and soft but it has come to be and I for one am not happy about it. Yes they were glory years and I cherish them because we were anything but soft then.

Beat the chickens in most years but not all. Occasionally

Dec 23, 2012, 12:20 PM

beat a good team, but not always. Mainly because we didn't play many good teams. The ACC was worse or no better during it's best years. We beat just as many good teams today as we did then. Agreed we were a more physical team, but so what? We still lost to many teams we should have beat.

You have a strange recollection of the past. Makes me wonder if you were even there.

We beat 3 top 10 teams in '81 !! *****

Dec 23, 2012, 6:10 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its guys like you who have no memory of our proud Tiger

Dec 23, 2012, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Beat the chickens in most years but not all. Occasionally ]

history. Those teams back in the 80s simply were intimidating and what we are putting on the field now pales in comparison. Im starting to wonder if it isn't you guys (pumpers) who are the coot fans because all I hear them say is they hope we keep Dabo...makes me wonder.

That's not correct. What I said earlier shows that I am the

Dec 23, 2012, 11:15 PM

one with a better recollection of our past. Intimidating or not, we lost to a bunch of teams we should have beat. Otherwise we may have been in the running for another national title. Nothing I said has anything to with pumping. You make no sense.

Confirmed.

Dec 23, 2012, 12:05 PM [ in reply to We have not achieved any of our goals in 2012 so far ]

"complete idjit".

How long have you been a fan of Clemson? You didn't go to school there did you?

Read this guy's post history.

Dec 23, 2012, 12:04 PM [ in reply to You lost me at "disaster" ]

I'm going to go with "complete idjit".

Yea im an idjit

Dec 23, 2012, 12:11 PM

nothing I ever post has any merit or truth to it. I'll just sit back and watch.

Admitting is the first step to recovery.

"Merit or truth", perhaps on very rare occasions, but mostly just figments of an imagination that stays rooted in a pathetic, sad, and negative approach to life.

Did you go to college anywhere?

Re: Admitting is the first step to recovery.

Dec 23, 2012, 12:21 PM

I am a Texas graduate but not by choice but by circumstance. Where a person graduates from does not dictate where their heart lies and I was born and raised a proud tiger fan and will always be till they plant me. I only want the best for what I consider my university and I am not seeing the best foot being put forward. I am seeing experimentation and wait till next year stuff. Im a 3 yard and a cloud of dust guy Danny Ford lover. Im a control offense and very strong defense guy. Knowing that you should be able to see my problems with where this program is headed.

All evidence shows the program moving forward. "3 yards and

Dec 23, 2012, 12:25 PM

a could of dust" still bought a couple losses per year to teams we should have beat.

Your think and act like a chicken. And don't give me some baseless nonsense about being a realist. All you post are figments of clouded memories and a cootlike imagination.

Re: Read this guy's post history.

Dec 23, 2012, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Read this guy's post history. ]

I keep reading that "we didn't lose to anybody we shouldn't have". Did I miss something. Clemson was a 3pt pick against SC and it was at home. Does that not count as one game lost that should have been a win?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spoken like a true cocklover.***

Dec 23, 2012, 12:21 PM

Pumper Alert****************

Dec 23, 2012, 4:30 PM [ in reply to You lost me at "disaster" ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We play crap teams every year

Dec 23, 2012, 12:19 PM

When is the last time we didn't lose to at least one of them? That is how I know we are getting better.

null

What sucks is SCU is just that much better than us.***

Dec 23, 2012, 4:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Dec 23, 2012, 12:44 PM

The next two games are going to tell us alot about this team...We beat LSU - the ship is righted IMO. We lose the bowl game in bad fashion like last year and then follow it up with a loss to UGA at home at the beginning of next season, the heat might begin to rise for this coaching staff.

Dec 23, 2012, 6:10 PM

How can 1-2 against better thanhorribleteams be "righted".

Dec 23, 2012, 1:50 PM

If we lose to LSU, then this season is a "disaster". Really?
Get a grip....

Let me introduce you to an old friend, meet whitespace?***

Dec 23, 2012, 2:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is how we got handed our but by the coots & lost***

Dec 23, 2012, 2:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I guess a lot of what has me down is the coot game

Dec 23, 2012, 3:42 PM

Another thing about the SCAR game. They always play terrible on the road. We keep talking about ifs and buts. But think about if that game had been in Columbia and they had Shaw and Lattimore. So it could be worse.

Are you as low as your pulse? Coots win and you

Dec 23, 2012, 4:29 PM

still have "tiger envy".

Spurrier could beat Dabo with his 3rd string***************

Dec 23, 2012, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Re: I guess a lot of what has me down is the coot game ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But not without the rampant PE's.***

Dec 23, 2012, 11:17 PM

Dec 23, 2012, 7:37 PM

Regardless of ACC competition, you have to judge the coaching staff versus Top 20 in their tenure. Currently, it's not great... So the bowl game and the matchup versis UGA at the start of the year is pivotal...Dabo is clearly a good recruiter but that only one facet. Losses to SC are smoothed if you play well versus LSU and GA...Otherwise, the rhetoric loses meaning.

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic