Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What are the skill sets for CB’s vs Safties? I read
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,715

What are the skill sets for CB’s vs Safties? I read

Jul 26, 2018, 5:40 PM

too many times where a recruit wants to be either a Corner Baxk or a Safety but college may think he should be the other. My guess is Corner would take more skill.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What are the skill sets for CB’s vs Safties? I read

Jul 26, 2018, 5:50 PM

I think that their length and speed has the most to do with it, especially recover speed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2018, 5:59 PM

CBs tend to be smaller, faster and quicker while changing direction.

Safeties are usually larger, stronger, generally not as fast, enjoy hitting more and tend to be better tacklers.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 26, 2018, 6:04 PM

CB - as with a basketball guard, needs to be very agile, quick-twitch to react to WR feints/moves e.g. change of direction without letting the WR get separation. The position requires very quick feet, speed and quickness. Long arms and jumping ability also help. Stamina is important due to long runs covering deep routes. Sometimes called on to blitz, but usually from the edge, so needs agility to avoid the DE or RB (unless the RB has the ball).

S - needs to have speed to cover across the field. Needs to have some size because he's often on a TE and a lightweight S can't deal with tackling a TE on a seam route (see USuC piggy back rides). Also needs to blitz sometimes and has to get past the DE or DT, so speed and strength are helpful. Needs good basic tackling skills. He's a combo LB/CB.

Basically, the CB is more of an athletic, basketball type of defender and a S is more of a head-hunter.

Jul 26, 2018, 6:17 PM

Great reply. Thanks.

Jul 26, 2018, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the skill sets for CB’s vs Safties? I read ]

CB - as with a basketball guard, needs to be very agile, quick-twitch to react to WR feints/moves e.g. change of direction without letting the WR get separation. The position requires very quick feet, speed and quickness. Long arms and jumping ability also help. Stamina is important due to long runs covering deep routes. Sometimes called on to blitz, but usually from the edge, so needs agility to avoid the DE or RB (unless the RB has the ball).

S - needs to have speed to cover across the field. Needs to have some size because he's often on a TE and a lightweight S can't deal with tackling a TE on a seam route (see USuC piggy back rides). Also needs to blitz sometimes and has to get past the DE or DT, so speed and strength are helpful. Needs good basic tackling skills. He's a combo LB/CB.

Basically, the CB is more of an athletic, basketball type of defender and a S is more of a head-hunter.

Yup. The big thing is, corners need to react, safeties need to be able to read. It's great when you get a guy who can do it all - like, say, Alabama's Minkah Fitzpatrick - but those guys are rare.

Actually think speed is somewhat overrated for safeties. It's great and all, but they've gotta be able to read and cover or all that speed means is they're going the wrong way in a very big hurry. Clearly Clemson agrees because we've seen an increased emphasis on cover skills and IQ and length over raw physical measureables when they're recruiting the S spot.

Jul 26, 2018, 6:34 PM

The biggest difference is fluidity in the hips. The new age CB is tall and strong like a safety in order to jam receivers at the line to disrupt the route. The biggest difference is not only recovery speed but also the ability to turn their hips to change direction quickly.

Problem is there’s not a lot of 6’1” a 6’3” guys who can flip their hips and keep running. Why guys like AJ Terrell and Trayvon Mullen were 5 and high 4 stars respectively. Also why it’s comical our “rivals” in Columbia are laughable at CB if they are really moving a 6’4” guy to CB. Tee will run right by him as I’ve yet to see a 6’4” CB lol. Or you could match him up on Rodgers and really laugh at broken ankles.

Jul 26, 2018, 7:05 PM

Who are the little birdies looking at moving? I haven't seen anything pop up.

Jul 26, 2018, 7:30 PM

I’ll leave it at Muk bc I don’t know to spell his name. Fla St commit they flipped who was a 4 Star and by end of cycle dropped to 3 star. Probably bc he isn’t fluid in his hips and wants to play CB.

Jul 27, 2018, 1:20 AM

Now that you mention it I do vaguely remember seeing something about that a while ago. Maybe their thinking he can be like King and get piggyback rides from Ross and Higgins.

ding ding ding

Jul 26, 2018, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the skill sets for CB’s vs Safties? I read ]

He's correct. The biggest differentiator is being able to flip the hips quickly. It's a different type of agility that isn't as important at safety.

A lot of the other posters made some good points but coaches are really focused on the hip turn when evaluating CB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2018, 6:06 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the skill sets for CB’s vs Safties? I read ]

Well I was pretty close for not knowing exactly the difference in the two positions of corner and safety.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 26, 2018, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the skill sets for CB’s vs Safties? I read ]

we've seen an increased emphasis on cover skills and IQ and length over raw physical measureables when they're recruiting the S spot.

I've seen the same trend in our recruiting of CBs - which is something I really like, so the jump balls can be better defended. As you said, good cover CBs who are taller than 6' are rare. But I'll take all we can find.... the taller the better - so long as they have the other skills included.

Jul 26, 2018, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the skill sets for CB’s vs Safties? I read ]

I heard that uSC, is moving the midget to safety; a 5'7'corner.

they need to be long, strong, and

Jul 26, 2018, 10:39 PM

Down to get the friction on

Jul 26, 2018, 11:53 PM

A safety is a fast linebacker. A corner is a wide receiver who can't catch. (Slightly over simplified)

CB-lateral speed & quickness,HIPS>S *

Jul 27, 2018, 9:37 AM

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,715
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic