Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What are the must sees driving from Vegas to Phoenix?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

What are the must sees driving from Vegas to Phoenix?

Dec 16, 2019, 3:53 PM

Flying into Vegas the 26th. Driving to Phoenix the 27th from there. I know its roughly 5hrs but can add to that by taking in some sites? What is recommended besides the Grand Canyon?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What are the must sees driving from Vegas to Phoenix?

Dec 16, 2019, 3:56 PM

We did it in 2015. There were a few really nice cacti. One or two pretty cool rock formations. And one store about halfway. My recommendation would be if you have a lead foot, use it.

My response 100%

Dec 16, 2019, 6:18 PM

Lol.

Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. And maybe a cave dwelling ruin.***

Dec 16, 2019, 4:00 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hoover ###, Sedona, and Grand Canyon Park

Dec 16, 2019, 4:05 PM

If you want, you can even check out "standin' on the corner" in Winslow, Arizona.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Hoover D.am is definitely worth the stop, but remember ...

Dec 16, 2019, 4:53 PM

... you can’t see much sat all from the main highway bridge.

Take the time to get off and drive down to the road that passes over the da.m itself.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you want to really get a good view...

Dec 16, 2019, 5:16 PM

hike down from the bridge to the Watersports launch site.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the desert***

Dec 16, 2019, 4:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2019, 4:15 PM

Pretty boring drive. Cacti and desert. Wouldn’t stop, just makes the drive longer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In 2016, we stayed at the Palms...

Dec 16, 2019, 4:47 PM

and on the way out of town to Glendale, we drove past The Mirage, Caesars Palace, The Bellagio, Aria, MGM, New York New York, the Tropicana, Luxor, Mandalay Bay, among others. So there's that !!!

Re: In 2016, we stayed at the Palms...

Dec 16, 2019, 5:08 PM

You took the long way, then.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes...just to drive down "The Strip".***

Dec 16, 2019, 5:22 PM

Dec 16, 2019, 4:18 PM

It's not a must, but I would grab an In n Out Burger or two for part of the drive.

Dec 16, 2019, 5:03 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=igG4OrblTeQ&feature=youtu.be

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why is that not a must?

Dec 16, 2019, 6:28 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the must sees driving from Vegas to Phoenix? ]

In and Out Burger is a must. Seek one out while there and enjoy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

coyotes running across the road***

Dec 16, 2019, 4:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Dec 16, 2019, 4:26 PM

Sedona Arizona.A beautiful place

Dec 16, 2019, 4:28 PM

yep pictures do not do it justice

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2019, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the must sees driving from Vegas to Phoenix? ]

If you aren’t driving I suggest a six hour nap. You will not miss a thing! I’m closing in on the big 80 and have been to many,many places but none worse than the drive from Vegas to Arizona. I believe there was a horse farm along the way but no horses OR grass! No wonder the UFOs land out there. No one would see them.

Dec 16, 2019, 4:36 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the must sees driving from Vegas to Phoenix? ]

Sedona is not on that route. If you want to take a detour (many hours), sure, Sedona is cool. The Las Vegas to Glendale Drive is 4.5 hrs alone.

Dec 16, 2019, 4:35 PM

Outside of seeing Hoover ### (which is outside of Las Vegas), there really isn’t much to see between the two cities. You might see some bighorn sheep near Hoover ###. If you don’t mind driving a bit out of the way, you could take I-40 over to Flagstaff and drive down to Sedona through Oak Creek Canyon on AZ 89. It’s a beautiful drive. Right before you start your descent, there’s a turnout with a view. Often, you’ll find Indians (Native Americans if you will) selling some great Southwestern silver and turquoise jewelry on tables set out here. Sedona is very picturesque, especially near the airport at sundown. If you have some more time, drive from Sedona to Cottonwood and then down to the mountain town of Jerome. Jerome is an old mining town with some good bars and restaurants. It’s interesting as the street levels are terraced on the side of a mountain. You can pick up I-15 by backtracking or drive on down to Prescott and pick up 15 north of the Phoenix metro area. I used to live in Orange County, CA and spent a lot of time driving through Arizona. I hope you have a blast out there....and Go Tigers!

Hoover d@m was my answer

Dec 16, 2019, 4:46 PM

Beyond that, desert and cacti.

Someone was flying a Clemson flag from the d@m.

World's Largest Ball of String . . . .

Dec 16, 2019, 4:39 PM

or is it Twine . . . . .

Hard to remember.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Dec 16, 2019, 4:40 PM

Well there's a whole lot of dirt and sand, you really must see it. You quite literally must because you don't have a choice.

Montezuma's Castle is pretty neat if you've never seen adobe

Dec 16, 2019, 4:49 PM

houses built into the side of a cliff.

Dec 16, 2019, 4:52 PM

Hoover ### is cool, otherwise zero must see's on the direct route. It's about as desolate of a drive as you'll find in the US.

Sedona is gorgeous, but I'd recommend doing at least two days to soak it in. A fist full of yellowcaps and a day hike to Carousel Rock will get your mind right.

Agree on Sedona ... worth the effort.***

Dec 16, 2019, 4:57 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I second the Merry Go Round hike...

Dec 16, 2019, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the must sees driving from Vegas to Phoenix? ]

also known as Carousel Rock.

A few words of advice if you decide to make this trek; The hike if about four miles in each direction and about a 1,200 foot of elevation change. The return treak will be downhill. It is a moderately strenuous hike but well worth the time. There is no water source and very little shade, so plan accordingly. Also, make sure you have good/well fitting/broken in pair of hiking shoes or boots.

If you'd like the Sedona experience but you're looking for something a little less strenuous than Carousel Rock, there are a lot of other options (Bell Rock/Courthouse Loop, the Templeton/Baldwin Trail to Cathedral Rock, Little Horse to Chicken Point, and the Chapel of the Holy Cross).

This is one of many Websites describing Sedona hikes. Choose any! You almost can't go wrong !!!

http://greatsedonahikes.com/

You can also see Carousel up close from any number of Jeep tours if that's of any interest to you.

Grand Canyon railway in Williams

Dec 16, 2019, 5:09 PM

Sedona

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Grand Canyon railway in Williams

Dec 16, 2019, 6:22 PM

Meteor crater is about an hour east of Flagstaff if one is into big holes in the ground. There's also Winslow Az, if you are into economically depressed towns that previously benefitted from Route 66. Petrified Forrest is over that way too. The trees don't do much, just kinda sit there.

Birthplace of Obama***

Dec 16, 2019, 6:28 PM

Oak Creek Canyon drive...

Dec 16, 2019, 6:35 PM

...highway 89A to Sedona out of Flagstaff. Not to be missed!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic