Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What about the defense?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 682

What about the defense?

Oct 16, 2016, 3:01 PM

After watching the replay of the game I realized that the defense did not help itself in the fourth quarter (when the game is supposed to be won). NC State got the ball at their 25 with one minute to go in the 3rd quarter and marched all the way to score in about 4.5 minutes (11:30 minutes to go in the fourth quarter). DW4 and company were then stopped by the zebras with a questionable holding call on Leggett.

NC State got the ball back with 6:40 to go in the game and kept it with them. The defense could not get them off the field.

I know that everyone is pointing at the offense for not scoring enough points but when the game was on the line the defense could not get off the field. Our fourth quarter defense has not been there when we need it most. Even against Louisville it took a miraculous play int eh fourth quarter to stop them, but one could argue that fatigue was a factor. In this game, NC State's defense was on the field for 90 plus snaps and our defense was there was just 70 plus snaps. Also, we take pride in playing a lot of players so fatigue should not be an excuse against NC State.

I summary, I hope that our defense comes to play in the fourth quarter in the forthcoming games.

Just my two cents.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What about the defense?

Oct 16, 2016, 3:04 PM

The defense was worn down by then, but they played a decent game. The lack of any significant pass rush was concerning, though.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 3:05 PM

worn out, or committed costly penalties?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 3:07 PM

I agree. was the first time this season where we did not control the line of scrimmage on defense. running right at us and we could not stop it or put pressure on qb. even with blitz.
i know you have to have the players to follow suit with state - but they found a formula that worked and others will follow.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 3:54 PM

Everything you wrote is on the money; it seemed like their offense was always one step ahead of our defense; and it not for their many penalties and problems with field goal, and the successful fake punt, they would have scored a lot more.

Oct 16, 2016, 3:14 PM

I agree we looked a little bit more vulnerable than we normally do. And gave up more yards than we normally do. But when you look at the whole picture of the fact that we had 4 turnovers and the defense only gave up 10 points. That's pretty darn impressive.

Oct 16, 2016, 3:56 PM

Yes; but the points scored by NC State does not tell the whole story about how their offense was sort of rolling over our defense (especially in the fourth quarter).

Replies: 6
| visibility 682
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic