Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What about Christian
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

What about Christian

Sep 26, 2018, 5:54 AM

and the other guys that sacrificed millions and risked injury to come back and try to win it again? Kelly is going to walk away from them.

We have a number of upperclassmen that are playing behind younger players. I don’t see Renfrow getting all the snaps. Why? Because younger more talented players need to play for the good of the team. If he is gone it hurts our team and ultimately I think it hurts him.

I like Kelly and would really hate for him to leave but this happens all the time in competition.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What about Christian

Sep 26, 2018, 6:02 AM

That. was a risk they took by staying, and why they should have gone.

Nothing in life is guaranteed. Risking millions based upon the action of other 20-22 y/o's isn't the safe play. I understand WHY they made the decisions they did, but they knew the risks when they made it.

Nothing is out of play yet for anyone on the team. The season is only 1/3 over. All you can do is take it one game at a time and let everything play out

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Sep 26, 2018, 6:21 AM

I agree with Moosehead. Kelly leaving would really hurt the team. But the team can’t hang in the balance of the emotions of one 22 y/o and I think Dabo has made this team bigger than one person.

And people leaving mid-season is not something you take into account when deciding to go pro or not. That shouldn’t be a risk. In no way do I blame those guys who came back. Money isn’t everything.

I hate it if he leaves but in the words of Barry Switzer, “Come here and win with us or go somewhere else and watch us win”

Sep 26, 2018, 6:38 AM

rking said:

In no way do I blame those guys who came back. Money isn’t everything.

Most people never have the chance to make life changing money (and that's what NFL money is to many). All it takes is one funny fall, or one bad hit to have ones dreams evaporate. That's why I've always said if a young man gets the right draft grade, GO!

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Sep 26, 2018, 6:58 AM

rking said:

In no way do I blame those guys who came back. Money isn’t everything.

Most people never have the chance to make life changing money (and that's what NFL money is to many). All it takes is one funny fall, or one bad hit to have ones dreams evaporate. That's why I've always said if a young man gets the right draft grade, GO!

You do realize these guys (Bryant, Ferrell, Wilkins, and Lawrence) are all insured for career ending injury at a level that most of us normal people would consider life changing money (minimum $1 million up to $5 million). These guys love Clemson and that is the biggest reason they came back.

See story here: https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Insurance-policies-for-players-like-Wilkins-and-Ferrell-How-does-it-work-16605

and here: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/01/17/clemson-defensive-linemen-returning-nfl-insurance/1038160001/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2018, 7:08 AM

Contrary to what Dave Ramsey says, 1 million dollars is NOT life changing money. Particularly if you're 22 years old. It's a nice cushion, but you'll still have to work. 10-20 million that's stepping off money.

Sep 26, 2018, 7:23 AM

Haha Lonnie must be loaded. A million is a bit life changing from my perspective

Sep 26, 2018, 8:10 AM

rking said:

Haha Lonnie must be loaded. A million is a bit life changing from my perspective

Don't get me wrong, 1,000,000 is a lot of money. And it's impactful. But A 22 year old cannot live the rest of their life without working with $1,000,000 in the bank. Would it make their life more comfortable? Absolutely. Is it buy an island and retire money? Absolutely not.

I point to this fact. About 70% of lottery winners end up filing for bankruptcy withing 3-5 years.
People think because they have this windfall they can live like the rich and famous. That simply isn't true.

Sep 26, 2018, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Re: What about Christian ]

Lonnie - I can only speak from experience on this.

My son's friend in college struggled after graduation even though he was extremely smart. His father passed away and left him $800,000 unexpectedly. In his situation, it was indeed a life-changing experience. He invested the money wisely, and is doing fantastically today. He is a great guy and has great work ethics, but he was just not getting any breaks in life. So yes - a windfall can indeed be a life-changing experience.

Sep 26, 2018, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Re: What about Christian ]

1 million invested wisely will generate more income annually than most college grads will earn coming out of college. So, yea I'd say 1 million lump sum would be life changing. With or without a tragic injury, I don't see any Clemson players not working once their football career is over.

Sep 26, 2018, 7:08 AM [ in reply to Re: What about Christian ]

Contrary to what Dave Ramsey says, 1 million dollars is NOT life changing money. Particularly if you're 22 years old. It's a nice cushion, but you'll still have to work. 10-20 million that's stepping off money.

Sep 26, 2018, 8:04 AM

So your argument now is that these guys should not have to work after a football career - be that NFL or college?

I usually don't get into spats on Tigernet but a $1 million (and the projected higher draft pick players get considerably more than $1 million - more like $5 million and up to $10 million according to the Greenville News article) lump sum payment to a 22 year old affords them opportunities the average 22 year old college graduate does not have. If asked, I bet most 22 year olds will tell you that a $1 million lump sum payment would be a life changer for them.

No one, not even great football players like Christian Wilkins, is promised to live beyond the current day much less a life without work. For most folks, $1 million is life changing money because it allows them the freedom to seek opportunities they would not otherwise have. Does it promise one a life without work? No - but neither does $20 million in the hands of someone who does not know how to manage it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2018, 8:43 AM

Of course it's "life changing". I think he's just making the argument that the insurance policy peanuts compared to 1st round NFL money or at least a 5-10 year NFL career.

$1 million is a decent retirement fund, but NFL money is a retirement fund in which you can live in relative luxury for retirement.

Specifically, the insurance policy doesn't seem like THAT big of a factor with players staying.

Regardless

Sep 26, 2018, 8:47 AM

Christian, Ferrell, etc., have different priorities and it's not for us to judge...at...all.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2018, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Re: What about Christian ]

Of course it's "life changing". I think he's just making the argument that the insurance policy peanuts compared to 1st round NFL money or at least a 5-10 year NFL career.

$1 million is a decent retirement fund, but NFL money is a retirement fund in which you can live in relative luxury for retirement.

Specifically, the insurance policy doesn't seem like THAT big of a factor with players staying.

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make.

Look at Marcus Lattimore for an example (the only player I know that had to make use of the NCAA insurance policy). He was injured, twice, and had an insurance policy of greater than $1,000,000. He was drafted by the 49'ers, stayed on a few seasons but never played in a game. I think his salary from the 49'ers was 400K or so each year. He still ended up having to coach high school football, even with the insurance money and his NFL salary.

Contrast that to a 4 year rookie contract for a 1st or 2nd rounder. Even those or 3-4 times what the insurance policy will pay you. If you can make it those 4 years, you stand to make bank in your second contract.

We've always been told, and always thought $1,000,000 is a lot of money (and it is), but in today's economy it's not the same as it used to be.

"Having to coach high school football?" You know for a fact

Sep 26, 2018, 9:11 AM

that he HAD to coach over WANTING to coach? Marcus Lattimore is a quality guy who, I suspect, would want to be doing something that would make a difference . . .like coaching.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Having to coach high school football?" You know for a fact

Sep 26, 2018, 5:57 PM

THIS ***

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic