Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What I hope for Clemson, FSU, ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

What I hope for Clemson, FSU, ACC

May 14, 2012, 1:00 PM

I think most Clemson fans, myself included, would love for Clemson to someday end up in the SEC. It appears that is simply not to be as long as conference goals are enlarging the footprint and perhaps starting networks with as many states as possible. Clemson, FSU and GT are just out of luck with the SEC in that regard.

With the SEC off the table, I think the best outcome of this week's ACC meetings is for Clemson and FSU to remain in an intact and expanded ACC. I think the ACC will be considered among the top-5 conferences. How can it not with VT, FSU, Clemson, Miami, just for starters. Eventually the money will be there and so will the national prestige. FSU and Miami are not going to be down forever. The ACC, namely Swofford, needs to get a clue and vote that the new BCS playoff must involve conference champs only. This would improve the possibility of the ACC being represented as well as possible interest from Notre Dame. If the BCS becomes a conf. champ only entry into the playoff, then Clemson and FSU are much better off in the ACC rather than Big12 or SEC for that reason alone.

Having said that, it should also be noted that Clemson must follow FSU if FSU leaves. I would prefer the ACC and the nice contiguous, regional, and rivalry setup of the conference, not to mention the academic prestige. But again, if FSU leave, Clemson can not sit on its hands and do nothing.

I am happy with the comments Mickey made about David Wilkins in today's blog and hope that he is right about his feelings on Mr. Wilkins. Everyone in Clemson's administraion needs to be on highest alert at this time. They need to be ready to make tough decisions that are best for Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's get rid of Swofford first...***

May 14, 2012, 1:12 PM

No disagreement there****

May 14, 2012, 1:15 PM

A lateral move to the Big 12, followed by the almost certain

May 14, 2012, 1:19 PM

formation of a "super conference merger" with the SEC, is where we are headed. Not moving now means we lose (cumulatively) about $15 million over 5 years. And that doesn't even take into account what we could make with Tier 3 revenues.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Clemson should not "follow" Florida State anywhere

May 14, 2012, 1:50 PM

Clemson and FSU should step together into whatever brave new world that's coming next. While I think FSU's getting the attention right now, the feeling all along until about a week ago is that FSU and Clemson have been working as a package deal.

I think that's true****

May 14, 2012, 2:00 PM

Re: Clemson should not "follow" Florida State anywhere

May 14, 2012, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Clemson should not "follow" Florida State anywhere ]

I think there are a ton of hypothetical's being thrown around out there.. and I am sure that FSU and Clemson and perhaps others... Ga Tech, Miami have been in conversations... BUT, at the end of the day, FSU is going to do whatever is best for FSU... they will not, imo, elect not to go somewhere just because Clemson is not included.

So, Clemson needs to prepare to do what's best for Clemson, regardless of what FSU decides.

Re: Clemson should not "follow" Florida State anywhere

May 14, 2012, 9:33 PM

I agree with that, but the second Clemson decides to wait for FSU to make a decision before being prepared to make our own, we're negotiating from a position of weakness if not desperation. We should be doing our best to make it more attractive for FSU to jump WITH Clemson than without. Like it's a totally horrible idea unless they have someone to make the jump with.

SEC would not add FSU and Clemson, it would be to tough

May 14, 2012, 10:06 PM

on everybody. They will go after cupcakes.

I would agree but only if Swofford is let go

May 14, 2012, 2:35 PM

he'll never play hardball and put football first because of his bias for his alumni. As long as football doesn't matter to UNC, Duke, it doesn't matter to him.

I can't stand the guy and hope that FSU putting their foot down today will make Clemson's admin grow a pair and stand up as well. If we do it then I can bet that GT, VT, NC ST will be willing to stand with us. All have greviances against Swofford and all would benefit if he were let go.

Another example, Swofford is too scared to go against Slive

May 14, 2012, 2:54 PM

on the vote on BCS playoff must require a conference champ. That is a no-brainer for the ACC to vote that way and he is tied at the hip with Slive on that vote.

Re: Another example, Swofford is too scared to go against Slive

May 15, 2012, 4:50 AM

and my thought is, that is to keep slive from raiding the acc for # 14 and #15, a little gentlemans agreement,if you will.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That has crossed my mind also****

May 15, 2012, 1:56 PM

Re: What I hope for Clemson, FSU, ACC

May 14, 2012, 3:25 PM

You know it seems that everyone forgets history. Alabama had the Shula years, Florida and Tennessee are not very good right now, USC (California) disappeared from the national scene for 10 years, etc. My point is that this is all cyclic. We don't need to leave the ACC...it is a good fit for us. It makes sense.

Does anyone remember last year? We were set to be ranked in the top 5 and arguably could have played for the national championship if we would have run the table. WE DIDN'T! Going to the Big 12 is going to change nothing! We still have to win the games. Look at Boise...they win games and are ranked every year in the top 5 and they play NO ONE. IF we could just get our heads out of our you know whats and start beating the teams we are supposed to...no one will care what conference we play in.

Finally, somebody with some common sense

May 14, 2012, 3:39 PM

Thanks for reminding me that in order to see the future, one must look back to the past.

The biggest problem with that mentality is that the future

May 14, 2012, 10:33 PM

will now be drastically different that what it has been in the past. With the four team playoff, for the next few years at least, if we are the champions of the fifth best conference, behind SEC, PAC 12, and the two BIGs, we are still on the outside looking in. And waiting for the other ACC teams to become relevant again it will then be too late.

I think the only way the ACC remains our best option is if we KNOW, not hope, ND and PSU will join. Otherwise I say we use the BigXII to try and force an SEC invite, or got to BigXII.

Re: The biggest problem with that mentality is that the future

May 15, 2012, 9:08 AM

No all we need to do is finish in the top four...do you really think that a 11-0 Clemson team is going to be supplanted in a playoff with a 10-1 anybody from another conference? And if both teams are 10-1 with us as one and they play in a tougher conference they should go over us. But how is moving to another conference going to change that? Do you think Clemson is so dominant in our own conference...we barely beat Maryland! Are we going to go into Norman and beat OK and then beat OKST at home? or Texas on a consistent basis? Lets dominate the ACC first or you know what lets just wait for the conference to climb back into dominance again. It is going to happen...it is human nature!

Look there are two type of people out there...those that want to compete at the highest level...and those who want to spend 3 years in college and then sign a big NFL contract. How do you explain all of the 5 star recruits that are going to ACC teams? I'll tell you how because these are the smart kids that see that it is smarter to come to the ACC where they ARE NOT facing the toughest competition every week. If I was a recruit and was being wined and dined by Alabama, LSU, and Clemson I would look at who they already have and whether I would play this year or possibly ever. Can Alabama and LSU replace a player that isn't quite ready? You bet. And furthermore if that same kid came to Clemson he would KNOW that he is going to get playing time. And that would put him out there in front of NFL scouts and pad his stats.

The second factor is that whenever you are successful you become polarizing. There are tons of kids out there who HATE Alabama and LSU because they are so successful. They will go anywhere else. It happens to us in recruiting now...Spurrier says they don't have to recruit SC very hard because most of the players already have their mind made up which team they will play for...and which one they won't. The SC and Clemson rivalry requires you to take sides in our state. The same will happen nationally. Alabama wasn't always great...LSU either...Florida sucks...Tennessee sucks...it is all cyclic. FSU and Clemson are back on the rise. Give it another 5 years and people won't be saying the same teams or coaches are the "BEST". JMO.

May 14, 2012, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Re: What I hope for Clemson, FSU, ACC ]

The problem with your scenario is the new TV deal. If the ACC wins the next dozen national championships, Vanderbilt and Baylor could still bring in $100 million more in TV revenue than any school in our conference over that period. 15 years is an awfully long time, especially when your new contract isn't worth as much as other schools' existing contracts, which are virtually guaranteed to significantly increase shortly.

May 15, 2012, 9:14 AM

I disagree to an extent...the TV deal is big and lets face it money is about the only reason schools have big college football teams, but if the ACC wins ANY national championship things will change again. Why? Because the league will become more marketable. More people are going to want to see the league play. And the league will start getting more and better offers from others. This year proved that a "Contract" is a fluid document. If ESPN refuses to negotiate with the ACC we just go pick up a couple of more teams (or drop a few) and then RENEGOTIATE our contract again for even more money. That is the nature of big business.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic