Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why does Bowman transfer feel like a gut punch?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Why does Bowman transfer feel like a gut punch?

Oct 1, 2020, 7:43 PM

We were building offensive dominance one piece and year at a time and RB was the area along with OL that we needed to get deep with 4 and 5* talent. Mellusi and Dukes are decent but they are no Bowman- don’t fool yourselves.

Message was edited by: HBROWN®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What Are You Talking About: No, it doesn't

Oct 1, 2020, 8:01 PM

It feels like Clemson lost a good quality young person who choose Clemson over ever other school in the country. And, it feels like, we hate to see him go.
But, not a gut punch at all. We have some very highly rated RB's in the room. In fact, I figured someone would be transferring honestly. It was inevitable because that RB room is "too deep"!

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/kobe-pryor-215357

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/cesare-mellusi-183267

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/lyn-j-dixon-71582

https://247sports.com/Player/Michel-Dukes-94176/

https://www.highschoolot.com/weddington-5-star-rb-will-shipley-commits-to-clemson/19085501/

We Too Deep to be worried about one player! And of course E.T.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What Are You Talking About: No, it doesn't

Oct 1, 2020, 8:06 PM

And 5* Shipley and 4* Mafah on the way!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2020, 8:24 PM [ in reply to What Are You Talking About: No, it doesn't ]

I like those guys but none of those backs are highly rated. Two were low end 4 star (that’s nothing special for Clemson to land a low end 4 star) and two 3 stars (Dukes was barely in the top 1000). Not knocking them, just stating their recruiting rankings because you said they were highly rated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2020, 8:31 PM

Bowman I think will be special, but don’t get star struck. Development goes a long way and talent evaluators aren’t perfect. 3* Isaiah Simmons and WO Renfrow just recently.

Oct 1, 2020, 8:40 PM

Don't forget Grady Jarrett was a 2*

Some of the best contributors to Clemson footballs rise to the top of college football were 3 star guys( think OL).
DL too really until recently. Vic Beasley as well.

I still remember Sentrell Henderson - flop. Demetrius Summers - flop. There are a bunch of 5 star bust as well. Not saying Bowman would be. Just saying, you and a bunch of other people get caught up with star ratings and it's proven year after year not to be the end all be all to if you will be a good college football player or not. How hard you continue working does!

Oct 1, 2020, 8:45 PM

Yep, Kobe is a 3 star but I like some of the flashes he’s shown so far. TE was a “low end” 4* too.

Message was edited by: TigerJS®

Oct 1, 2020, 8:56 PM

TigerJS® said:

Yep, Kobe is a 3 star but I like some of the flashes he’s shown so far. TE was a “low end” 4* too.

Message was edited by: TigerJS®

Not sure if you all remember - but Travis Etienne was a "back up plan" late "lucky to have find"! They have told that story many a time. He was committed or was a heavy lean to Texas A & M. BTW, E.T. was a low 4 star.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2017/travis-etienne-11589

Some of you will never learn. Kahlil Mack was a 2 star!

Oct 1, 2020, 9:02 PM

I think the coaches hit on more of the 3 star players than other schools and that's a huge reason Clemson can be successful "yet picky" as to who it brings into the program.
Some of these kids have clearly been over evaluated and over valued. It seems to me we have done really well with Travis Etienne.
See his Rivals rating.

Please view this. It's no slam dunk. Your chances are better yes the higher rated the player is; but it isn't the end all be all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjy6slp08F8

Oct 1, 2020, 11:59 PM [ in reply to Re: What Are You Talking About: No, it doesn't ]

Hunter Johnson was a 5 star. He did nothing at Clemson, and had an awful season at Northwestern last year.

Eh, I think stars mean more at RB than any other position

Oct 1, 2020, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Re: What Are You Talking About: No, it doesn't ]

Most 5* RBs are legit ### players.

Re: Eh, I think stars mean more at RB than any other position

Oct 2, 2020, 8:46 AM

It just means more in the SEC too. At Clemson, we develop talent, even walk-ons can make the NFL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Oct 1, 2020, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Re: What Are You Talking About: No, it doesn't ]

Like I said, I’m not judging those players at all. I’m not saying they won’t be better than 5 star guys. I’m simply stating their recurring rankings were not high like the person I responded to said.

Oct 1, 2020, 9:43 PM [ in reply to Re: What Are You Talking About: No, it doesn't ]

That means nothing. Etienne is arguably the best back in Clemson history (I'd guess CJ would be better with Clemson's recent lines as opposed to 2006-09). He was a 3 Star.

Oct 1, 2020, 10:29 PM

That means nothing. Etienne is arguably the best back in Clemson history (I'd guess CJ would be better with Clemson's recent lines as opposed to 2006-09). He was a 3 Star.

Exactly! Travis Etienne is a kid I wouldn't trade for anybody. No matter how many stars they had. I just don't it being as big a deal now as you eluded to as it would have been in the past. Sure, we would love to have kept Bowman. But, this coaching staffs track record with lower star rated players speaks for itself. They will bring in kids who can be developed into a good contributor to the team! They just may not be ready day one! Most RB's aren't - not in a system where they have to learn pass pro anyway!

Oct 1, 2020, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Re: What Are You Talking About: No, it doesn't ]

Did you know Travis Etienne was a 3 star per rivals and was ranked the 213 best player on 247 website. It’s great to be blessed with talent but hard work and dedication take people to other worldly levels.
I hate to see him leave but if his heart isn’t in it then Clemson isn’t the place for him. Clemson was here before him and will be here after him. Side note don’t forget Shipley will be here next year and he’s the #1 all purpose back this year for rivals and 247.

Oct 3, 2020, 1:01 AM [ in reply to Re: What Are You Talking About: No, it doesn't ]

Etienne was a " low-end 4 Star " too . How's that working out ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 3, 2020, 10:17 AM

It’s hilarious how you guys are taking a factual statement, that was said with ZERO judgement about the players they are or will be. In fact I literally said “not knocking them”.

All my post was intended for was to correct the person I responded to who said they were highly rated backs. It’s a fact, not opinion, that they were not. That has nothing to do with their skill level now or in the future. I think they could turn out to be great backs, which has nothing to do with their recruiting rankings.

I know it was very eearly, but I wasn't really that

Oct 1, 2020, 8:16 PM

impressed with him when I saw him play against Wake Forest.

That's quite an observation to make after like 5 carries

Oct 1, 2020, 8:53 PM

Playing behind our backup OL which is pretty terrible right now. He very nearly broke one or two in that game for big yardage. I think a Wake player barely got him by the ankle on one of those. He looked quick as hell to me.

Valid points. I'm probably just a little sour grapes. Now

Oct 2, 2020, 11:54 PM

that you mention it, I do remember the one where he was caught by the ankle. If I'm honest, of course I'd rather he not be leaving. I just remember that run by Belamy in his opener, the way James Davis looked right off the bat vs Texas AM, and I think Etienne was pretty sharp right out of the gate. I was expecting Bowman to be more like those. But as you say, he was playing behind the backup o-line and that makes a big difference.

Re: Why does Bowman transfer feel like a gut punch?

Oct 1, 2020, 8:18 PM

Come on Hbrown. You’re better than that.

Oct 1, 2020, 8:26 PM

You sure ?

Oct 1, 2020, 9:18 PM

??

Oct 1, 2020, 8:25 PM

Out of curiosity, what is your first language?

Oct 1, 2020, 8:41 PM

We'll be fine. every freshman gets homesick and he's been through a lot. Its a shame he doesnt stay for the year and get his feet under him but its his choice. a homesick kid with lots of interest from nearby schools now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2020, 8:44 PM

74TIGER said:

We'll be fine. every freshman gets homesick and he's been through a lot. Its a shame he doesnt stay for the year and get his feet under him but its his choice. a homesick kid with lots of interest from nearby schools now.

Well said. He'll be fine. Clemson will be fine. Nobody got hurt in all this. Hopefully, in fact, some lifelong friendships were formed during his brief time here.
He said it strongly, "it was not about not liking Clemson"! So, no love lost at all! Wish him and his family the best! But, Clemson will be fine. 4 and a 5 star RB coming next season too!

Oct 1, 2020, 9:04 PM

I get what you’re saying...I was as excited about him after seeing his high school highlights as anyone we’ve ever signed at RB...and I looked forward to seeing him get in the games we’ve had and was just waiting for him to explode on a long TD run like ETN did against Louisville his freshman year..:so I get how you feel...but let’s face it...we are a pass first team...always will be...sure ... we like to run and will run but our best players recently have always been the QB and the WR’s ... it will remain that way...as much as I hate to say it, RB’s in college are becoming like they are in the NFL...they are expendable.....just that simple......you still want to have the most talent out there ... but the best talent at EVERY position is not necessary to win at a high level...at CERTAIN positions it is paramount...RB isn’t one of those positions...also it happens to the best...remember Alvin Kamari leaving Bama for Tenn??? Is there anyone better in the NFL right now than him at RB??? Does it really matter in winning championships??? NOPE!!!

probably because u are holding on too tight***

Oct 1, 2020, 9:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Why do your posts make me feel like

Oct 1, 2020, 9:28 PM

I wasted one minute of my life?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2020, 10:43 PM

I felt like as soon as ETN announced he was coming back that we would end up trading one more season with him for three with Bowman and that's what's happened. I'm surprised he even showed up at all. This shouldn't come as a gut punch to anyone. It is unfortunate because one injury to ETN and he's suddenly the feature back in all likelihood. Too bad he didn't give it til the end of the season.

Oct 2, 2020, 5:06 AM

Not going to be the featured back if he hasn’t learned the playbook and gotten pass protection down. Hard to do for a summer enrollee, especially in 2020.

Oct 1, 2020, 10:51 PM

Cause Dabo isn’t the all mighty that your fanbase makes him out to be. You are realizing the the delusional thinking you have isn’t real. Dabo doesn’t run the most perfect program that no one would ever want to leave.

I’m amazed your fan base hasn’t eaten alive the reporters that reported this. Y’all are known for attacking any reporter that mentions a not super positive thing about CU.

Oct 1, 2020, 11:05 PM

Bitter butt sniffer. Sorry your team sux. Not sorry.

Oct 2, 2020, 12:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Why does Bowman transfer feel like a gut punch? ]

Interesting take on this. Hey, think Kirby could have one of the 9 RBs he recruits every year play QB? Maybe even WR too, since he never seems to recruit either seriously. I mean, Fromm regressed every year to be real, but that happens when you have a bunch of tomato cans to throw to. Bad DAWG!

Speaking of delusional thinking...

Oct 2, 2020, 5:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Why does Bowman transfer feel like a gut punch? ]

1. This young mans decision had nothing to do with Dabo.

2. Fan base hasn’t “eaten alive” reporter for simply stating a fact.

3. Yay! Jawja hasn’t had more than two players arrested during the 40th anniversary of their only CFB championship. The one that happened when Reagan took office, 11 years removed from the moon landing. You get the drift. Georgia football. Doing less with more since the death of disco. Bwahahahaha!

At least we can beat SCar.***

Oct 2, 2020, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Why does Bowman transfer feel like a gut punch? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Oct 3, 2020, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Why does Bowman transfer feel like a gut punch? ]

Have fun getting your #### pushed in today because your program ranoff the best qb ever to enroll at UGA.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Oct 2, 2020, 5:24 AM

Probably a bad student and couldn't handle life. It's pretty common.

Oct 2, 2020, 6:33 AM

It happens. Guys get homesick (particularly out of state kids) and not everyone loves a school or its culture no matter how great a school is or How much WE love it.

Oct 2, 2020, 7:58 AM

It dont

Pace will be the awesome.***

Oct 2, 2020, 8:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2020, 8:19 AM

It doesn't, it's a kid who is homesick. Wish him luck and next man up, it's not like we don't have RB's out of the wazzoo! We have the best RB in the class of '21 committed, 3 others who would start at many other Power-5 schools even after ETN leaves. We will be fine, opens up a schollie immediately, but there is a chance he changes his mind and stays also. CLEMSON will be CLEMSON no matter what, we are at that level now. I would hate to try to read between the lines here and assume someone is saying there is more to this than a homesick 18 year old.

because maybe you are internalizing it

Oct 2, 2020, 8:25 AM

don't worry about it

null

because your choosing to worry about something you have ZERO

Oct 2, 2020, 8:26 AM

control over and you don;t trust the coaching staff to adjust

Yep,The kid had the looks of a prototypical NFL running back

Oct 2, 2020, 9:01 AM

size and speed... When we signed him i thought he was the first NFL made RB we had ever signed during the DAbo era. For instance Reggie Bush...college made. Great athlete no one can stop him but in the NFL he was an average player. We usually have a alot of those. Dalvin Cook size and speed imo is a NFL made back. Bowman reminded me of Dalvin Cook with a little bit more wiggle. I agree it was a gut punch.

Bellamy 5* < Harper 5* < Ellington 4* < ETN 4*

Oct 3, 2020, 3:18 AM

Don't get star struck. Gallman was a 3* stud. No one dude tackled him, still playing for Giants.

I know Rencher is walk-on, he is a decent blocker, but I do feel he got more touches than I would have expected. Would like to have seen the future guys play more, but touches likely would not have saved Bowman. If they ain't all-in, let them go. Can't have someone disgruntled (a cancer) on the team. Not saying he was that at all, but if people are stuck in a place they don't want to be, they can definitely become disgruntled!

Oct 3, 2020, 8:53 AM

Don't take it personally. I don't think he left because of you. We will be fine. Next man up.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic