Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Hood: Polls are getting ridiculous
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Hood: Polls are getting ridiculous

Nov 18, 2012, 2:23 PM

Hood: Polls are getting ridiculous

Despite winning 7 straight games, the Tigers are just now getting back to where they were in the polls before the lost to Florida State. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Getting"?***

Nov 18, 2012, 2:25 PM

That "lost" to FSU sucked.***

Nov 18, 2012, 2:30 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

i was already pissed.

Nov 18, 2012, 2:33 PM

NOW I'm pisseder

Re: Front Page Story: Hood: Polls are getting ridiculous

Nov 18, 2012, 2:35 PM

Hey, guys: when you keep allowing like 48 points against you, you can't gain the respect that comes with a top 10 team!!! Next Saturday will be the proof - one way or the other!

Does it fit in your mouth better? I mean 'flat' and all.***

Nov 18, 2012, 2:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes but being florida and barely beating..

Nov 18, 2012, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Hood: Polls are getting ridiculous ]

fcs schools gains respect.florida is way overrated.the sec bias is very clear.only ones who do not see it are the sec homers

"keep allowing" 48 points?

Nov 18, 2012, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Hood: Polls are getting ridiculous ]

As in once this season? And still win by 2 TD's, with a double digit lead for all of the second half?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "keep allowing" 48 points?

Nov 18, 2012, 2:55 PM

in his defense we did give up 49 to FSU also. But were only giving up 24 per game. Not where we should be but progress is being made.

That is true

Nov 18, 2012, 3:03 PM

Forgot that game. Blocked it out of my memory :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't your NFL defense give up 44 in a loss?

Nov 18, 2012, 4:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Hood: Polls are getting ridiculous ]

is there a difference between 48 and 44?

Win next week

Nov 18, 2012, 2:37 PM

That is all we can do. I think when we take care of business this weekend against our hated arch-rival we will shoot up. Would love to see FSU and GT pull out wins as well.

These past couple of weeks have been crazy for college football.

A win over SCar if we are ranked #4 or 5 would be better

Nov 18, 2012, 3:08 PM

This is a good article.

Re: Win next week - Agree - Win and Win Big!

Nov 18, 2012, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Win next week ]

Win Big and BCS is ours! and maybe with just a narrow win?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2012, 2:38 PM

And we are surprised - why? Those who vote are in love with the SEC and/or the other flashy schools. By the way, who does have the votes?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what do we expect out of the polls?

Nov 18, 2012, 2:42 PM

We haven't played anybody other than FSU! I mean really? Who have we played? The ACC is a joke.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Without even considering us, the "logic" of the polls is

Nov 18, 2012, 2:47 PM

non-existent. Two loss teams who haven't beaten anyone of note and struggled against poor teams...that's a joke, for starters.

Re: what do we expect out of the polls?

Nov 18, 2012, 11:06 PM [ in reply to what do we expect out of the polls? ]

You can say that about almost any team with a winning record. It's a matter of opinion. Many said that about Ball St, but they have a winning record. on and on...look at the FCS schools that are playing Div 1 competitively.
Things are a lot more even than they used to be, for a number of reasons.
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2012, 2:45 PM

Clemson does not insist on playing a state FCS school each year, state of SC mandates that both Clemson and South Carolina play at least one other state school each season.

Re: You know they are when UGA is ranked 3rd. Coots

Nov 18, 2012, 2:49 PM

kicked their butts and they are ranked3rd?

Nov 18, 2012, 2:50 PM

Its a joke how much the coaches and AP polls vary. Look at FSU 5 in coaches and 10 in AP. Obviously the people whose career is preparing for opposing teams sees something in FSU that the sports writers don't. Lack of respect

Nov 18, 2012, 3:11 PM

My problem with the coaches poll is that coaches are all pretty busy on Saturday. They don't get to watch a ton of games, and the games they have watched are against their team's opponents, so there is a definite bias in the coaches poll as well.

UNFORTUNATELY, I must disagree with you David

Nov 18, 2012, 2:50 PM

Here is why. Purely and simply, the last time that the National media "believed" in Clemson, Clemson gave arguably the worst performance in collegiate bowl history. Think about it, that was only 11 months ago. I'm a Clemson fan, but they're going to have to dig their way out of this, and as the old saying goes, "if you want respect, you have to TAKE respect." Rankings don't matter right now, anyways, isn't that what we preach? Beat the top 10 team in the nation, and THEN beat the daylights out of whomever they play in a bowl. Unfortunately, the national consequences of losing the way Clemson did last November/January cannot be erased with high octane victories over 6-4 teams. They'll have to beat an elite power (maybe more than once, as Carolina isn't perceived to be Elite quite yet, for better or worse) before they're rewarded with credibility again. They don't have ANYTHING to be ashamed of, the simple fact is that they should have beaten FSU if they didn't want to be perceived as the 2nd best team in the ACC (now try not to be biased, but doesn't that just SOUND awful). Nothing a beatdown of Carolina and whomever they play in a bowl can't begin to correct... but the point is that the national voters can't justify giving Clemson the go-ahead quite yet to a BCS bowl, and we have to admit that if Clemson had beaten Alabama,Oregon,Kansas St,Stanford,ND, then our team would truly deserve to be mentioned anywhere. It just hasn't been in the schedule. So you play the schedule you're dealt, and you dominate everybody. Then you repeat next year.

P.S. Then you send a Christmas card to Boise State... remember how nobody had compassion on them until they started winning against Oregon/Bama/Sooners?

Good job, you should post more often. Win the next 2

Nov 18, 2012, 2:57 PM

and the Final Rankings will reward the Tigers and show the writers/coaches were wrong; lose and then it will prove the polls correct.

I'm looking forward to a great game and a fantastic atmosphere on Sat in DV.

Re: Good job, you should post more often. Win the next 2

Nov 18, 2012, 3:05 PM

usuc has beaten an overrated uga team and lost to a very highly overrated uf team and a decent lsu team. we lost to the then #4 team in the country, at night in tallahassee. to drop as far as we did after that loss was total bs. uf and lsu losses were just as bad for usuc, yet they barely drop. can you sit there and say with a straight face that the polls aren't skewed? fsu will smoke florida this saturday, and we will wax usuc. let the pollsters put that in their pipe and smoke it!

Re: Good job, you should post more often. Win the next 2

Nov 18, 2012, 3:12 PM

I don't care about Polls... I care and we all should care about quality wins against top teams. THAT is what Clemson fans can be proud of. Beat SCAR well on Saturday, and then beat whomever you get as a bowl opponent. Then Next year, light up Georgia in the first game the way Bama lit up Tommy Bowden. THEN and only THEN will they have respect. And respect is better than a mid season ranking

Personally I don't care about rankings until season's end*****

Nov 18, 2012, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Good job, you should post more often. Win the next 2 ]

LOL. You're speaking out both sides of your beak.***

Nov 18, 2012, 3:22 PM

Re: LOL. You're speaking out both sides of your beak.***

Nov 18, 2012, 7:47 PM

Trust me that is not the case...

Re: UNFORTUNATELY, I must disagree with you David

Nov 18, 2012, 3:40 PM [ in reply to UNFORTUNATELY, I must disagree with you David ]

But then who has UGA beaten?? Who has Florida beaten?? Gators should of lost to UL-Lafayette!

Nov 18, 2012, 4:19 PM [ in reply to UNFORTUNATELY, I must disagree with you David ]

Flawed argument. This year is not last year. Every team is different. It's November now and teams should be judged on THIS YEAR!!! I understand using last year in September, but not in November.

Using last year's results, SoCal would be a top ten team, LSU would be #1, ND would not be in the top 25, and so on. Clemson was destroyed in the Orange bowl last year, and nothing will change history. Teams should be judged on what they do, not on what others did in the past.

Nov 18, 2012, 7:44 PM

Yes, but the difference is that Notre Dame has done things this year that Clemson hasn't done yet. I'm not saying Clemson couldn't beat Oregon at Oregon last night. But the voters are going to give preferential treatment to a team that does, in light of the fact that Clemson has proven them wrong in January. How many victories in a row do they need against the ACC (excluding FSU) do they need to deserve a BCS bid? I don't know the answer to that. I don't like it, and you don't like it, and David doesn't like it. And, the fact is that the SEC powers have all lost against themselves, so it is difficult to know how good they really are. The answer is not to whine and complain about the polls in week 12. The answer is to beat FSU in September, and if not, beat USC on Saturday. THEN beat someone else in the bowl game. Eventually winning takes care of itself. This season is about REDEMPTION - until Clemson beats someone big they will have WVU over their heads from a national perspective. We're biased, but honestly, until Tajh and crew win a big game against a top 10 opponent in November, it doesn't do any use crying about what rank they are.

Nov 18, 2012, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Re: UNFORTUNATELY, I must disagree with you David ]

And look...at West Va..they were in the top 5, in Week 7.
Apparently Texas Tech figured out something...and everyone followed.

Sat, Sep 1 Marshall W 69-34 --
Sat, Sep 15 James Madison W 42-12 --
Sat, Sep 22 Maryland W 31-21 --
Sat, Sep 29 (25) Baylor W 70-63 --
Sat, Oct 6 at (11) Texas W 48-45 --
Sat, Oct 13 at Texas Tech L 14-49 --
Sat, Oct 20 (4) Kansas State L 14-55 --
Sat, Nov 3 TCU L 38-39 --
Sat, Nov 10 at Oklahoma State L 34-55 --
Sat, Nov 17 (12) Oklahoma L 49-50 --
Interesting, though, bottom of the ACC, Md had one of the lower scores.
GO TIGERS!!!

I have no doubt that if we had beaten WV last year,

Nov 18, 2012, 5:48 PM [ in reply to UNFORTUNATELY, I must disagree with you David ]

we would be ranked in the top 5

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have no doubt that if we had beaten WV last year,

Nov 18, 2012, 7:49 PM

Yep - like I said, this year is about Redemption. A piece of that can come true on Saturday - with or without a BCS invite.

Nov 19, 2012, 8:52 AM [ in reply to UNFORTUNATELY, I must disagree with you David ]

Well said.

David, I'm curious what would your Top 10 look like? Thanks****

Nov 18, 2012, 2:58 PM

Nov 18, 2012, 2:59 PM

That OB game did more damage than we realize. I remember someone on our OL being quoted during the game saying, "hey, you guys got this man. You don't need to go so hard on us". Said to a WVU defensive platter. Remember that? Glad that #### talk is gone now.

Nov 18, 2012, 3:09 PM

That is mind-blowing to think a player said that. WVU fileted our program that day, and Tajh is taking major steps to remedy that. In retrospect WVU had no choice, as Clemson was one of the only programs in the country that could legitimately come back from 28 points down or more.
Yes, I do think Clemson is better this year over last. However, I wouldn't like to think of them having to Matt Ryan's senior BC team last night... they would have been stretched to the limit against them, we all know that. Right now they just need to keep focus (harder this week than any other week, because of everyone saying YOU"RE BEING ROBBED!!!), beat SC handily, and not whine and complain if they don't get a BCS game on a platter. As soon as they beat the #1-#5 in the nation, AT THEIR HOME STADIUM (Stan), they'll get all of the attention they can handle.

Otherwise, after the season, the only thing they can use as motivation is that they had FSU until the very end of the 3rd quarter.... and ultimately it was on them that they didn't win against a top 5 team at the time, and that the next time they get the chance the top 5 team will get their absolute best shot. "Playing to a standard" doesn't give a rip about mid-season rankings...

Polls are nothing but opinions

Nov 18, 2012, 3:02 PM

And honestly for the most part you can argue all of the teams ahead of us in the polls have a legitimate argument to be ranked ahead of us. I think this is just one of those seasons you have to chalk up to "our schedule, through no fault of our own, hasn't given us a chance to showcase against good teams."

We get heavy credit in my book for winning all the games we were supposed to win and doing so with double digit wins over the last 7 weeks. SO we just need to take care of business next week and then wherever we are sent to play a bowl game, we just beat our opponent.

And moreover, as fans we need to just enjoy the season and the wins. Sometimes I think we, myself included, lose sight of that part.

Re: Polls are nothing but opinions

Nov 18, 2012, 11:29 PM

I believe we've beat the point spread every game until Saturday. 'think this game was 17 1/2, is that correct?

Wish I could block it out

Nov 18, 2012, 3:07 PM

A signature win this coming weekend will help erase it.

they make sense to me

Nov 18, 2012, 3:09 PM

as long as highly-ranked teams equally beat each other up, those teams will cluster.

fact of the matter... clemson aint a top 10 team this year. and last night proved it.

who cares that florida blows, lsu wins by luck every game, and the sec has made a pact to each lose 1 game to help boost their SOS? we would not beat bama, Kstate, oregon, lsu etc... so wait til next year to complain.

Re: they make sense to me Disagree with your loser attitude!

Nov 18, 2012, 3:15 PM

I think if A&M can beat Alabama, we can too. and all the rest you mentioned too! "Ye of little faith..." - what are you going to predict after we beat ##### next week?

Hey that would be a good post if...

Nov 18, 2012, 3:25 PM [ in reply to they make sense to me ]

illogical subjectivity, speculation, and conjecture were considered as parts of a good post.

Nov 18, 2012, 3:23 PM

They have also covered each spread this year except for yesterday. Favored by 17 and won by 14. What else can you do.

Nov 18, 2012, 3:47 PM

You can't give up half a hundred to a team not in the top 70 in the sagarin and expect to move up. Unless you
are in the SEC.

Someone please explain to me who ND and 1/2 SEC has beaten

Nov 18, 2012, 4:01 PM

to take over the top 10. Incest within a conference should not allow a conference to have that many teams up top. ND has played a crappy season and, unbeaten, is #1? I'm not saying Clemson should be #1 but some evidence as to why FSU and Clemson aren't getting the respect that the top of the SEC is getting is ridiculous. And, ND played a large chunk of their schedule vs ACC teams. The BCS has got to go. PLAYOFFS....PLAYOFFS?!??!

ND beat OK away, Stanford, Michigan, Mich. State,***

Nov 18, 2012, 4:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Someone please explain to me who ND and 1/2 SEC has beaten

Nov 18, 2012, 11:44 PM [ in reply to Someone please explain to me who ND and 1/2 SEC has beaten ]

It's interesting, both FSU and CLEMSON put up moderately more points against WF and BC than 4th ranked ND has recently done. 'just an observation.
GO TIGERS!!!

We've beaten no one and lost to the one good team we

Nov 18, 2012, 4:04 PM

played.

UGA beat UT who crushed NC State, crushed Auburn who we struggled with, and beat top ten UF.

I'm excited about our season and we can't help that so many teams on our schedule took nosedives this year.

Clemson and FSU get their shot to move up this week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We've beaten no one and lost to the one good team we

Nov 18, 2012, 4:46 PM

LSU beat Auburn by 2. So should LSU's season be discredited? Look a big part of Auburn's fall was losing to us, losing to LSU. Totaly unfair to compare to beating Auburn now to beating them in the first game of the season.
Georiga is a fraud. They barely beat Kentucky for Christ sake. They where destroyed by South Car, and they beat an overated Florida team.
Clemson played FSU or the road with Gameday there. FSU was a team desprate to beat us, and we controled the game for three quarters. Point is I beleive Clemson is better than Georiga, and if the eyetest was good enough to put Ala. in the title game, then it can certainly be used for comparing these two.

FYI Tenn. Sucks!

But we need to beat someone. UF and UGA may both be

Nov 18, 2012, 5:42 PM

overrated but they've both beaten teams much better than GT, VT, State, etc.

Re: We've beaten no one and lost to the one good team we

Nov 18, 2012, 11:34 PM [ in reply to Re: We've beaten no one and lost to the one good team we ]

SC only beat Tenn by 3pts.
GO TIGERS!!!

We've beaten NOBODY good. Who above us would we likely beat?

Nov 18, 2012, 5:20 PM

Clemson has played just ONE good AQ team, FSU. FSU beat Clemson pretty soundly (especially if you ignore the irrelevant late garbage-time TD, and keep in mind that football games are played for FOUR quarters).

Clemson has only beaten 3 AQ teams that even have winning records (all mediocre 6-5 teams).

Every team ahead of us has beaten somebody good. We've beaten NOBODY. So why should pollsters think we're any good? Because we beat up Duke? Two unranked teams beat Duke and Stanford beat up Duke 50-13. Because we beat VT? Two unranked Big East teams (Pitt & Cinci) and 2 unranked ACC teams also beat VT. Because we beat NCSU, just like 4 unranked teams did?

I think that every team ranked ahead of Clemson would be more likely than not to beat Clemson on a neutral field-- with the possible exception of Notre Dame-- which I consider a toss-up.

But if Clemson beats SCar, and wins a bowl game against a good opponent, I'm pretty confident that the pollsters will elevate Clemson's ranking to the satisfaction of most Clemson fans. Kinda depends what the other teams do too.

Re: We've beaten NOBODY good. Who above us would we likely beat?

Nov 18, 2012, 5:41 PM

Completely disagree. On a nuetral field I think we could play with any team above us. Now I am not saying that we do not lose to them, but to make is sound as if we cannot play with and beat any of them is stupidity. Our offense can score enough points to play with anyone in the country. You forget that we beat the #### out of FSU for 3 quarters. If that game is in the Valley we win.

Re: We've beaten NOBODY good. Who above us would we likely beat?

Nov 18, 2012, 5:54 PM

I'm curious what 3 quarters in the FSU game you are talking about. The 3rd quarter and 4th quarter had 5 straight possessions with no first downs - I think the total yardage in those 5 possessions was 1 yard. The trick play for the TD to start the second half and the late garbage TD at the end of the game have made you think the second half was better than it actually was.

Read what I wrote. Who above us would we LIKELY beat?

Nov 18, 2012, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Re: We've beaten NOBODY good. Who above us would we likely beat? ]

You're arguing against something that I didn't write. Sure we can play with anyone. Sure on any given day we might upset any team in the country. You could say the same about most teams. But we'd likely be underdogs against every team ranked above us. Who is ranked above us that we'd LIKELY beat on a neutral field?

Home field advantage is generally about 3 points. FSU beat us by 12, and they backed off late in the 4th quarter when they were up by 19 with no chance of us making a comeback.

Polls are ridiculous, clueless, a joke..........

Nov 18, 2012, 6:49 PM

Here's some logic since the polls are basically useless: Why don't we refuse to honor the polls since they're obviously broken;all these posts here prove it. Then we can make our own poll right here on Tigernet and show up at the BCS champ game (wonder who will be #1?)and insist we play for NC ?? We can say the polls are stupid. Oh, one other crazy thought, next year why don't we just win the FSU game?

All we had to do was beat FSU and this wouldnt be an

Nov 18, 2012, 9:18 PM

issue. We lost the only showcase game that we have played all year.

Re: All we had to do was beat FSU and this wouldnt be an

Nov 19, 2012, 8:13 AM

I'm a little new at this (blogging), so I'll apologize upfront.

For the record, I agree with everyone who thinks the polls are inaccurate, thinks that the Gamecocks are overrated, thinks that Clemson is underrated, thinks the pollsters are crazy, etc.

As great as this year has been, we've got some issues we must overcome. We had problems at the end of last season, even though last season was the best we've had in a while. The Orange bowl hurt us. The hard fact is that the ACC is a relatively weak conference. BV is on his first year and needs a little time to get the D act together. So, if I was a pollster and unbiased, I'd be a little hesitant to put my money on Clemson just yet. I want to see us higher in the polls, but I can see why some might hesitate as to why we are not.

I think Dabo has it exactly right. We are still in either the second or even the first year of a long term building program. It's going to take a while for the "Clemsoning" thing to become a permanent part of the past. While I'm thrilled at the offense this year, like everyone else, but I'm concerned that we might not be able to stand with the best teams in the country by allowing opponents so many points. The "firehouse" offense works in basketball, but not football. Example; it would have been nice if we could have held NCSU to the 24 points they had at the half, instead they burned us for 24 more. Ouch.

We are on the way. But we still have some national respect that has yet to be earned. We will go a very long way towards doing that by winning our remaining two games, and make a statement doing it. This will have the added effect of silencing our obnoxious foul-lovers. Then the pollsters will have no choice but to give us the respect we deserve.

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic