Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How are you in a Power 5 conference, getting millions back
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

How are you in a Power 5 conference, getting millions back

Oct 5, 2018, 10:59 AM

from said conference each year, and your football stadium holds <32,000 people? And, Weak Florist's stadium is only THAT big because of some luxury boxes that were added awhile ago. They don't even have the argument of being a basketball school to fall back on, because they have more or less sucked at roundball lately too. Toggles the Mime.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If you build it they will come"

Oct 5, 2018, 11:01 AM

does not really apply to Wake Forest. They are one of the smallest if not the smallest school in FBS. The more seats in their stadium, the more people who will fill them from other schools. They simply don't have the alumni or fan base to need a bigger stadium.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ This. Undergrad enrollment is 5,102.***

Oct 5, 2018, 11:09 AM

Re: ^^^ This. Undergrad enrollment is 5,102.***

Oct 5, 2018, 11:09 AM

Thank you for the actual number

Rice University enrollment is 4001. Their football stadium

Oct 5, 2018, 11:24 AM [ in reply to ^^^ This. Undergrad enrollment is 5,102.*** ]

holds 70,000 people. And they surely are NOT a football school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rice University enrollment is 4001. Their football stadium

Oct 5, 2018, 11:38 AM

I don't know if 70,000 seats makes sense for Rice but it may if they host other non-football events in the stadium (concerts, etc.). Also there is a large enough population in Houston that if lots of people get confused on where they are going and why then they might could fill a 70,000 seat stadium. Winston Salem does not have that size population nor does any city in the area.

Re: ^^^ This. Undergrad enrollment is 5,102.***

Oct 5, 2018, 12:34 PM [ in reply to ^^^ This. Undergrad enrollment is 5,102.*** ]

They were at about 3500 enrollment just 4-5 years ago. They are growing, whew!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: "If you build it they will come"

Oct 5, 2018, 11:12 AM [ in reply to "If you build it they will come" ]

Yeah..our incoming freshman class is about the size of their entire undergrad population.

Oct 5, 2018, 11:14 AM [ in reply to "If you build it they will come" ]

Tulsa, Rice, and the service academies are smaller. But that's it I believe.

Oct 5, 2018, 11:19 AM

Those aren't power 5 schools..

Oct 5, 2018, 11:34 AM

I was replying to TigerO's comment "They are one of the smallest if not the smallest school in FBS."

Re: How are you in a Power 5 conference, getting millions back

Oct 5, 2018, 11:20 AM

well they do have 2 ACC conference championships (1970, 2006) in their history so they are one up on the coots.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2018, 11:30 AM

I’m good with Wake. They had Clemson’s back in the 80s. We’ve played them every year but two since 1933. Lots of history there.

Not everyone needs to have an 80k+ seat stadium to add value.

West and Hatfield say Hi

Oct 5, 2018, 11:31 AM

Remember the 90's? We were a program that had numerous conference titles, a national championship and an 80K seat stadium and were an awful football team. If there were message boards then like now what do you think would have been said about Clemson?

I have no problem with Wake. Tiny school with a decent team without the resources.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: West and Hatfield say Hi

Oct 5, 2018, 11:38 AM

Just a point of information. This message board existed starting in '95 ( West was head coach starting, when spring of '94? )

Oct 5, 2018, 12:30 PM

I live in Clemmons just outside of Winston-Salem and they’re more App. State fans here than wake fans by a long shot.

We always have more fans than wake when we play in their house. I usually buy tickets in the parking lot for $5-10 along the 40-50 yard line just a couple rows back on the Clemson side and by halftime I’ll be sitting behind our team on the front row everytime.

It’s a nice bonus for us local Clemson fans. They took great pride in ending Tommy Bowden’s rein and I did too because Dabo is the best coach ever!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let’s Go Tigers!

Is this about Vanderbilt?***

Oct 5, 2018, 12:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Is this about Vanderbilt?***

Oct 5, 2018, 12:40 PM

Wake would be a great school for Paul Johnson to be the ultimate underdog. Muscoot would never be good enough for Wake but he’s perfect for the cooties!

Let’s Go Tigers!

Small school --> lower fan support and lower $$ support.

Oct 5, 2018, 12:40 PM

Plus, although NC is more of college sports state than a pro sports state, Wake is not one of those schools that fans gravitate toward. People who live in NC tend to choose NC, NC State, or Duke as their team, even if they didn't go there, and Wake isn't nearly as much of a consideration. If Wake were located in a smaller state with little to no pro options and no overly dominant college programs, they would be more popular among the general population.

Plus, not being consistently good at football hurts fan involvement too. Being a small school is naturally going to put them at a disadvantage in terms of alumni involvement and alumni giving, but any big time college program relying almost exclusively on alums for athletic support is in trouble no matter what the size of the school is. Clemson is about 4 times as large as Wake in terms of enrollment, which helps, but we also draw from many, many fans who are not alums. If Clemson only had alums for support, we wouldn't have anywhere close to the facilities we have.

Message was edited by: Judge Keller®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Small school --> lower fan support and lower $$ support.

Oct 5, 2018, 12:44 PM

North Carolina doesn’t understand what it is to be a fan like we do in South Carolina,, their loyalty is with who’s winning now. Coots would have 12-13 fans in North Carolina...lol but true...

Let’s Go Tigers!

Oct 5, 2018, 12:43 PM

I understand the urge to talk crap about our opposing teams, but even though Wake Forest has a small stadium compared to ours their stadium is nice. Wake Forest is also a very small school. We have went to many away games st Wake and while their fans typically don’t tailgate they are extremely friendly and there is always adequate space for Tigers to tailgate. It has always been the same weekend as the fair and we have never had a problem parking near the stadium and setting up all of our tailgating tents, grills etc. This isn’t scar or Maryland anyone traveling this weekend will have a good time and be treated well

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Surprisingly, Wake and Clemson have been pretty

Oct 5, 2018, 2:53 PM

good friends for years, moreso than most other ACC schools.

I doubt that will change, regardless of differences otherwise.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic