Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Coaching Clemson that Great of a Job Anyway?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Is Coaching Clemson that Great of a Job Anyway?

Mar 1, 2019, 1:15 PM

From 2008:

In the end 8 or 9 wins wouldn't cut it at Clemson. We'll see whether someone else can get above that hurdle.

https://deadspin.com/tommy-bowdens-firing-is-coaching-clemson-that-great-of-5062698

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Basketball Bored---------------->

Mar 1, 2019, 1:18 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Not a top 25 job?!?!

Mar 1, 2019, 1:19 PM

Does that idiot not realize we won the 2016 and 2018 National Championships?

Why would you even post this?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Is Coaching Clemson that Great of a Job Anyway?

Mar 1, 2019, 1:20 PM

The comments were great. There were morons on there who put the VT and BC jobs ahead of ours. Talk about comments that didn't age well!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some of those comments

Mar 1, 2019, 1:23 PM

Were downright scary! Talk about raising the bar to...oh, knee-level aspirations! Oh, my!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would say it worked out pretty good***

Mar 1, 2019, 1:41 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is Coaching Clemson that Great of a Job Anyway?***

Mar 1, 2019, 1:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Mar 1, 2019, 1:49 PM

Interesting article on how wrong it was.
Tommy Tubberville and Bobby Johnson would have been terrible hires. The only issue with Clemson head job in the future would be who would want to be the guy to follow Dabo; like Saban. Hopefully it won't be an issue at Clemson for a very long time.

Mar 1, 2019, 2:40 PM

I’m not sure about that. Saban has created an atmosphere of fear and causes all around him to walk on eggshells with his Napoleonic complex. His program will definitely slip when he isn’t there to berate everybody around him and somebody new tries that act without the trophies to rest on.

Dabo has built a real culture that as long as the right kind of people are in place could last for a few decades after he steps down. As long as there is no power struggle to inherit what he built.

He didn't understand that it was just a matter of time....

Mar 1, 2019, 1:55 PM

That was the point in time Clemson football had reached a new all-time low.

Clemson "haters" were in full-force writing articles proclaiming that we were never going to catch FSU, or be nationally relevant EVER again.

In 2008 any objective college football fan would have had Clemson in their Top 25, if not their Top 20 college football jobs/programs. Only someone ignoring every metric known to mankind would have argued otherwise.

It's a shame the writer (and many others) of that piece didn't have his hopes and dreams come true. He's probably scratching his head right now thinking "I can't understand why my opinions failed to materialize"?

Clemson was always going to "Be Back", it was just a matter of time.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's none so blind as those who WILL not see.***

Mar 1, 2019, 1:56 PM

Re: There's none so blind as those who WILL not see.***

Mar 1, 2019, 2:58 PM

Its no surprise that Clay Travis was the author of that article.

Were we really not considered a top 25 job in 2008?

Mar 1, 2019, 2:54 PM

I think we would've been. This is my list of jobs that, to varying degrees, would've likely been rated ahead of us at the time:

USC
Oregon - They were starting to get the ball rolling and had Nike money pouring in
Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska - Definitely in decline, but still would've easily been ahead of Clemson
FSU
VT - This was still during Beamer's run of success
Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan
Wisconsin - Not a lock due to location, but they had had way more recent success than us
LSU
Bama
Auburn
Florida
Tenn
Georgia
Notre Dame - It's Notre Dame. Scoff if you want, but it's still Notre Dame.

That's 18 that i feel pretty strongly would've been rated ahead of Clemson by neutrals. Then you have a few you can maybe make a case for:

Miami - They weren't toooo far removed from Butch Davis' awesome 2000-2002 teams. Tons of tradition, but also really crappy stadium situation, fan support, etc. Probably still would've been considered a better job than Clemson at the time.

Texas A&M - Not a great deal of success, but probably on par with Clemson and they have the Houston area to recruit and tremendous fan support. Might have gotten the nod over Clemson at the time.

Oklahoma State - Boone Pickens money and they were starting to turn the corner. Maybe?

West Virginia - I don't think so, but this was right at the peak of the Rich Rod era there. They nearly made the title game the year before.

That puts us somewhere around 20 or so. Anyone else? Did people really think NC State or UNC or Virginia or one of those programs was better than us back then? Clay Travis probably just wrote without thinking as per usual.

Re: Were we really not considered a top 25 job in 2008?

Mar 1, 2019, 4:43 PM

Very good list. I would add Stanford and UCLA, but I think the point really boils down to whether it was a top job or not. IMO, the author was correct that it was not a top job at the time.

The interesting question is what about now? The administration has proven willing to spend on staff and facilities. Dabo has proven we can win consistently at the highest levels. Is that sustainable after he leaves or retires? That has yet to be proven. I tend to think it is top ten job now, but that is a fragile number. Would top-level coaches come? If so, would they stay if offered a blue-blood job? Would a coach at a blue-blood leave their school to come to Clemson? When the answer to these questions is yes, then we certainly have arrived. I do not believe we were there, yet. JMHO.

Mar 1, 2019, 3:41 PM

But that location is also surrounded by other large programs: Georgia, Florida State, South Carolina (arguably), Tennessee, and now, with Butch Davis, North Carolina. So where does Clemson really rank in the college football pecking order? [/q]

Wow, four of the five of those programs are raging dumpster fires... and then the other out-Smarts itself and completely disappears in the... fourth.

Bobby Bentley coaching Clemson

Mar 1, 2019, 3:58 PM

Bwahahahahahahaha

I remeber people saying that back then. Glad he’s in Columbia to help fuel the dumpster fire down there.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2019, 4:11 PM

Whenever I’m looking for brilliant football analysis, I always go to the hallowed Mecca of college football...........Vanderbilt University.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic