Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There are very dangerous people teaching our youth.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

There are very dangerous people teaching our youth.

May 26, 2019, 9:59 AM

Too many college campuses have become cesspools of liberal brainwashing.

https://youtu.be/vZdWD5uGaVo

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, as a liberal arts major, it didn't work on me.

May 26, 2019, 10:49 AM

In general, just give them what they want to hear. Regurgitate it and sound persuasive to their worldview. Then laugh at them behind their backs.

I did take issue once with a history professor on a paper topic. Class was History of the Renaissance. Paper topic was to highlight the mistreatment and oppression of women in Renaissance Italy, or something very similar.

I went on to regurgitate all the mistreatment and oppression he had so diligently taught us. Then I reminded him that they were actually NOT mistreated, IF you consider that they received some of the best treatment of women in any nation on Earth AT THE TIME. Went on to show how horribly women were actually treated in Africa, Asia, etc. at the time, and then showed how well they were treated, RELATIVELY, at the time in Italy. Then I reminded him that for their time, they were perhaps the most progressive nation on Earth with regard to women at the time. Without their efforts, he may very well not even have his contemporary reference point to use to claim they were oppressed in the first place.

Got an A+. Just lit up the entire premise of his essay topic. I carefully gauged his intent with the question. Now for the women who taught about oppression of women in ancient Egypt, and the wingnut feminist English professor, I gave them exactly what they wanted. The lesbian burnt out lawyer from Chicago who wore camo pants and combat boots every day, I gave her what she wanted to hear also. But when you KNOW someone believes something, I at least am suspect of their intentions. I'm one of the types who will never be indoctrinated into anything. You can't be when you educate yourself and are naturally suspect of influence.

College was a joke, and I can only imagine how much more it is now in liberal arts especially. Fact remains that most people see, when they watch the news, the slant and the agenda, and the position. I don't care if it's Fox News or MSNBC. I see people today who clearly get their news from one side, or the other, and far too many just tow a line and are indoctrinated. I sit back and realize as I see it, that our problems are not political, not ideological, but structural and all too common through history. There is no party of smaller government, more freedom, and less federal power. No party that will reduce spending. No party that will remind the American people their vote-buying promises are funded by taxpayers. No one to remind people that they control their lives, not politicians. No one to remind them that no politician will make their lives better, beyond the extent they let them make it better for themselves. Individualism, freedom, and personal responsibility is missing from politics. It doesn't buy votes in a democratic state. And we are not a democracy. FAR too many professors in liberal arts don't understand that. We are guaranteed to fail as a federal democracy. 100% guaranteed. Our founding fathers knew that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, as a liberal arts major, it didn't work on me.

May 28, 2019, 9:40 AM

To clarify, you do understand that subjects like math and biology are liberal arts, right?

The point of the term liberal arts is that it's a generally broad field of study that doesn't directly translate to a single career path, like say, an automotive repair track at a tech school.

Re: There are very dangerous people teaching our youth.

May 26, 2019, 11:38 AM

ENOUGH chicken little

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had 2 kids that just graduated, another is a senior.

May 26, 2019, 12:51 PM

I'm pretty conservative, two of the kids are probably more right leaning than I am. The other, our little liberal, just loves animals and can't stand the thought of anyone suffering.

They went to college to study and learn. Math, physics, chemistry, engineering are not really swayed by politics. The liberal arts classes are easy. Just figure out what the teacher wants to hear or read and that's how you get an easy A.

My oldest had an immigrant from Iran teach her Macro Econ in graduate school. The guy was very far right as far as fiscal policy is concerned. He absolutely loves the USA and thinks its the greatest country in the world. Of course she agreed with him completely.

Children learn hard work and ethics from their parents. Education starts and ends at home. Sure some youngsters are easily influenced by professors, but most are not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's easy to blame someone else for one's children's...

May 26, 2019, 1:04 PM

problems but it's just as easy to say most youth are liberal until the wake up around the age of 30 or so. It's a rebellious thing which is related to a child wanting independence from parents. I expect a touch of this from my children and though I got a bit more than I expected the final chapter in their lives is yet to be written.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's easy to blame someone else for one's children's...

May 27, 2019, 11:19 AM

That is correct. That's why no one over 30 is a liberal. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe college has changed in the last 10 years or something

May 27, 2019, 8:59 AM [ in reply to I had 2 kids that just graduated, another is a senior. ]

But when I went to college, I don't remember anyone ever saying anything political.

same here.

May 27, 2019, 9:08 AM

Of course I did have Professor Chalmers show us #### erotic cinema in his film class, and then of course professor Mumford in Building Sciences like to impress upon is that his wife is subservient and a 2nd class citizen. But that is the worst it got for me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe college has changed in the last 10 years or something

May 27, 2019, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Maybe college has changed in the last 10 years or something ]

Same for me. The most political discussion I had was in the current events class on Monday nights and it was very tame. Several orders of magnitude less than what you guys get into here on T-net.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They purposefully don't say anything political

May 27, 2019, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Maybe college has changed in the last 10 years or something ]

Usually.. The goal is ideological. The philosophy is what they teach. It reaches right down to the elementary level. Collaborative is the term. Group work. There's a lack of emphasis on the individual and a heightened emphasis placed on the collective.

Take the professor who taught the Constitution was a living breathing document. As long as she could persuade you to believe that then she doesn't need to get political. It is not indoctrination to a party but to a philosophy. A world view. If you buy into it then then later when you are political you will lean their direction. The aforementioned professor glanced over the 10th Amendment like it didn't exist. And she's right practically speaking.

I was lucky to have a professor, perhaps the only one I had, who gave equal emphasis to both world views. Then I had other professors who balanced each other out. Like Newsmax and MSNBC would. I'm not sure they have professors capable of educating both sides or even having a duo who challenge from opposite sides anymore. Hopefully they do.

Anyway I never had a professor get "political". But I knew where most stood. There was exactly one conservative in POSC when I was a student. Pay attention to what's unique. Always.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They purposefully don't say anything political

May 28, 2019, 6:55 AM

I think it's a weird thing to say that it's some kind of bad thing that collaboration is encouraged. That's the way the real world works. I work with other people, every day of my life, and so do most others.

I don't remember professors ever giving philosophies, or "world views". They were mainly just doing equations or something.

As Neal stated above, you don't tend to see much

May 28, 2019, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Maybe college has changed in the last 10 years or something ]

ideology in mathematics or science.

Re: As Neal stated above, you don't tend to see much

May 28, 2019, 11:08 AM

Well political ideology, at least. I had a math professor who went to Auburn and problems on the test almost always involved Alabama sucking.

One was the Alabama kicker missed a PAT and the ball ended up hitting Bama's head cheerleader in the mouth and knocking out her last tooth.

I don't even remember what we were supposed to solve. This was back around 2001 before I had the appreciation for Alabama hate that I do now. I wish I'd kept the tests.

This is 100% true

May 28, 2019, 11:23 AM [ in reply to As Neal stated above, you don't tend to see much ]

But in order to graduate, you had to take humanities courses as required by the school. This is where they push their philosophies.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

I don't recall having any idealogy pushed upon me in

May 28, 2019, 11:24 AM

college.

Maybe it was different then.

But you graduated in like 1922, right?***

May 28, 2019, 11:41 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First one not held in the Holtzendorf building***

May 28, 2019, 11:53 AM

I had a professor in "Native American Literature"

May 28, 2019, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Maybe college has changed in the last 10 years or something ]

That gave me a failing grade on a paper. Her reason? My opinion was wrong. The topic was about how wrong it is that teams use American Indians as mascots, stretching from Seminoles, to Indians to the Redskins. I made an argument, with sources as required, that it actually wasnt that terrible and some tribes have support both ways with schools and franchises.

I argued the grade with her and got it bumped to a B-. She said this is the highest she would go because she felt my opinion was alarming, no matter how much I backed it up with evidence.

This is whats wrong with the higher education system.

It's funny how...

May 28, 2019, 9:13 AM

Folks like you have been claiming colleges are this hotbed of liberal indoctrination for decades and decades, yet all these conservative folks keep emerging as graduates of these universities.

These profs must really suck at brainwashing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic