Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well Ol' Spud announced
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Well Ol' Spud announced

Oct 1, 2018, 9:16 PM

his birthday a while back (60 I think) so I guess I can say it's great to have made it to the big seven - oh. Doesn't feel any different than 69 years old felt last year. But every year has been a blessing , especially since this day comes exactly 48 years and 2 days after surviving 2 gunshot wounds and a miraculous chopper rescue from the side of a Viet Nam mountainside on the darkest night ever - So dark I couldn't see any light when looking up or down while swinging on a rope below the chopper because it couldn't land to pick me up. Med-Evac pilots are among the greatest heroes ever. Even more blessed to be able to attend games like the one on Saturday -Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well Ol' Spud announced

Oct 1, 2018, 9:26 PM

Thank you for your service so we can all enjoy watching the games and yes, debating on tnet too. You are a true American hero.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2018, 9:28 PM

Just got rid of your triple 6's

Oct 1, 2018, 9:27 PM

I'm not too far behind you, but far enough back to have been too young for Viet Nam. I had three older cousins go with two in the Army and one Marine and you could tell it was no place for young men. I think that all of us learn a new respect for life by this age, but your experience has to make even more special. Thanks for your service, I not sure that America ever got around to recognizing what you guys did over there. I'm sure that one of your great joys in recent years has been seeing the Tigers roar. Go TIGERS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2018, 9:35 PM

The welcome us guys received while in places like Walter Reed was much different than what so many experienced. People came in every night of the week to entertain, show gratitude and just spend time with us to let us know they cared. Sadly, almost every G. I. on my ward was an amputee - that alone let me know how lucky I was to come away with only a limp.

Oct 1, 2018, 9:30 PM

you're still a kid.got 2 years on you.as far as feeling different,it's more about your body aging,but not your soul or spirit,so you don't feel different in that regard.can't wait 'til December,because my dad always told me there are no sins after '72.imagine the possibilities.anyway,happy birthday,and enjoy every moment of every day.we've been blessed to have lived as long as we have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Happy birthday, and thank you for your service.

Oct 1, 2018, 9:30 PM

Oh, and GO TIGERS!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Oct 1, 2018, 9:32 PM

Happy Birthday. Thank you so much for your service to our great Nation

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Oct 1, 2018, 9:34 PM

Happy Birthday and Thank You sir !

Oct 1, 2018, 9:42 PM

Huzzah!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Oct 1, 2018, 9:46 PM

What’s those white things on your gazebo pic? Did you build that yourself? If so you did a nice job.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2018, 9:49 PM

Thank you. Those are curtains. Gone now in lieu of two privacy walls and a spa. That is 99% my labor.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Oct 1, 2018, 9:53 PM

Grew up with a boy that flew dust offs in Nam. Had 3 birds shot out from under him. You are correct they were heroes. Glad you made it back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gotta have guts to fly a target that size right

Oct 1, 2018, 10:16 PM

up to the side of a steep mountain where you know you will get shot at. Seems crazy to risk more than one life and such an expensive machine to save one life..... but I guess a lot of things about war are crazy.

Oct 1, 2018, 9:55 PM

Happy birthday and thanks for your service!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I remember right a classmate

Oct 1, 2018, 10:14 PM

in 1964 Darwin Flanders flew medevack choppers. Unfortunately he made one to many flights into a hot LZ one day and didn't make it out. Why on the football board? He was about 5th string end, but a good guy.

I entered Clemson in 1965 - don't know if

Oct 1, 2018, 10:23 PM

he was still there that year. I had a guy on my hall in the Tin Cans a couple of years later who dropped out to join the Marines because he felt guilty to have it easy while many others were fighting.

HaPpY 70th Birthday “65”!

Oct 1, 2018, 10:25 PM [ in reply to If I remember right a classmate ]

Like the Purple Heart you’re sporting.

Gen. George says hello & thx!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: HaPpY 70th Birthday “65”!

Oct 1, 2018, 10:29 PM

Thanks - always good to be recognized by one so recognizable.

Re: If I remember right a classmate

Oct 1, 2018, 11:32 PM [ in reply to If I remember right a classmate ]

It’s an honor to wish a hero happy birthday!

Wow!! Happy Birthday Clover! Everyday since that night has

Oct 1, 2018, 10:29 PM

been gravy for you! I bet you just shake your head at some of the trivial stuff we argue about on here. Here's to wishing you another Happy Birthday on 10/1/28!!

Spud

Re: Wow!! Happy Birthday Clover! Everyday since that night has

Oct 1, 2018, 10:35 PM

My mother turned 90 this summer so family genetics indicate that it could be possible..... but 80 just seems like such a big number when you almost didn't make it to 22. Puts life in perspective. Like you said - lots of gravy.

My father in law got two purple hearts in WWII. Both on the

Oct 1, 2018, 11:26 PM

same day. A bomb blew up a crater he had just vacated, killing his friend who stayed behind, and hit him with shrapnel.Later the same day, he was pinned down in a field by a German machine gunner.He would run a few steps and drop dwon. My father in law,Leon Dodson from Ware Shoals, said that German couldn't shoot for squat. So,the last time he popped up and ran, he tried to make it to the trees, but the German got him. Put a 7mm (I assume) threw his left arm, spinning him around and eventually causing him to pass out. He said when he got shot, all hell was breaking loose! When he came to, he said it was like a Sunday morning. Birds singing,etc. He walked for a while and found some wine to drink in a barn, and eventually saw some soldiers way down the road. He was weak and again about to pass out, so he took a chance that they were Americans and went their way. Lucky for him they were. He was about 5'9",a buck fifty, and ......EIGHTEEN years old.....He lived to the ripe old age of 84 and I swear, I knew him for over 30 years and I never heard him complain about too many things.

I guess getting shot up at 18 gives you a different perspective on things....

Amen to that - so does being the closest person

Oct 2, 2018, 6:28 AM

to your buddies when they get hit or step on a booby trap ( today's IED's) - that happened twice in one day to me. And I rode a tank across a ditch with what probably was at least a 500 pound bomb in it that went off when the third armored vehicle crossed it. It left a crater almost big enough for the APC to disappear into.

Clover, if you come to the next game...come by and see us..

Oct 2, 2018, 7:55 AM

I will let you know where...

Thank you for your service to this great country!***

Oct 1, 2018, 10:32 PM

Oct 1, 2018, 10:36 PM

Happy birthday! By my not so good math, you were there just before my father was. He was air cav flying mostly slicks in 70 to 71. From the little bit he will tell, you guys earned your pay and then some. Thanks for your service!

Message was edited by: Davistiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

My last chopper ride was Sept. 28, 1970...

Oct 1, 2018, 10:42 PM

rode Air Cav choppers many times as they flew us to all kinds of places. Could have been on his chopper if he was in the Duc Pho/Danang area in the summer of '70

Oct 1, 2018, 10:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Well Ol' Spud announced ]

Happy birthday!!! My dad was there from 70-72 on C-130s. He never told much about his time there. He would have been 74 in November. Thank you for your service.

Oct 1, 2018, 10:50 PM

Thanks for your service Clover65. Those medics were some heroes and so were the MASH units.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2018, 11:15 PM

Happy Birthday and Thank You very much for Your service.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2018, 11:47 PM

Appreciate your sacrifice, sir. Wishing you many more birthdays.

Welcome to the 70's, my good friend.***

Oct 2, 2018, 5:57 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2018, 6:34 AM

BLUF: THANKS for your service!

And a late but Happy Birthday to you ‘65! Looking forward to celebrating and sharing many more with you, my friend!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Oct 2, 2018, 7:02 AM

Happy birthday and prayers for many blessings for you and your family. Thank you for your service and being a part of Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2018, 7:24 AM

Happy birthday "65"!! I'm currently reading "Misty" - a collection of recollections of the pilots who flew the F-100 as fast forward air controllers. You probably had a Misty covering for you before and after the chopper showed up to get you out of there. All of you were mighty brave men - even though quite a few were still teenagers!

Thank you for your service!!

For those who might like to read about the F-100 pilots - here are two books that I recommend:

"MISTY" edited by Major General Don Shepperd, USAF (Ret.)

"Bury Us Upside Down" by Rick Newman and Don Shepperd.

Both can be found on Amazon.

Again, thank you for your service!!

Oct 2, 2018, 8:20 AM

Clover65 .... I too was on a mountain in Viet Nam 48 years ago today ..... maybe in the same area as you were (overlooking Elephant Valley .... although I was much luckier than you and was not wounded. I had a squad of Marines and we were there to blow everything up since we were abandoning it as an Observation Post. We had it completely wired (actually all the explosives were tied together with "det cord") with about 4 tons of explosives and called for a helicopter to come get us, as on e well placed mortar round would have blown us all to smithereens. The air controllers told us it was too cloudy to fly, although we were monitoring the air net and knew they were flying.

After a half dozen requests, I finally told a Major at air control that if they did not come and pick us up, I was blowing up the 106 Recoilless Rifle and our Water Buffalo (the tank that holds water) and we were walking off the mountain. We were not staying there overnight. About an hour later we heard a couple of choppers coming for the equipment and us, so we were safely evacuated. A month later 4 grunts were killed and two of my men wounded on that same hill .... a long story (friendly fire called in by a Recon Team).

Thanks for your service and sacrifice!

THANK YOU for your service! And, Happy Birthday!***

Oct 2, 2018, 8:25 AM

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Happy Birthday young man!***

Oct 2, 2018, 11:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 2, 2018, 11:19 AM

Thank-You for your service. I, too, am not far behind you, but just missed that draft in age. As a child of about 14, I stood and watched flatbed trucks loaded with coffins rolling into Bragg. I asked my Grandma what it all was, and she simply replied "Satan". I am so glad you are here with us to share this awesome freedom, and I have no words good enough to Express my appreciation and respect for YOU SIR! THANK-YOU FELLOW TIGER !

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AND

THANK-YOU !

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic