Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Swinney says covering full cost of attendance "a nightmare"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

New Story: Swinney says covering full cost of attendance "a nightmare"

Apr 23, 2015, 8:18 AM

Swinney says covering full cost of attendance "a nightmare"

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney isn't one to back down from an opinion, and he voiced his opinion on the NCAA's full cost of attendance, saying that prospective student-athletes may make college choices based on the wrong reasons. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What "wrong reasons" is he talking about?

Apr 23, 2015, 8:32 AM

What is "wrong" about going somewhere where you make more money? If that's "wrong," then just about all of us are "wrong".

Cost was a major factor in where I chose to go to college. Did I choose for the wrong reason?

yes, since you asked. Yes you did.

Apr 23, 2015, 8:37 AM

You should have gone to Wake Forest, and you know that.
;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ha...a school on Tobacco Rd. was my #2, but not Wake.

Apr 23, 2015, 8:39 AM

In the end, it was a really easy decision. Like, a $20,000 a year decision.

You got into State

Apr 23, 2015, 8:50 AM

but not Clemson?

I only applied three places, and got in all three.

Apr 23, 2015, 8:50 AM

SC, Clemson, and Duke

Good job Prod.

Apr 23, 2015, 8:52 AM

We give you a lot of h3ll for nothing

LOL...no big deal.***

Apr 23, 2015, 8:53 AM

Shouldn't have went to SC...***

Apr 23, 2015, 5:00 PM [ in reply to I only applied three places, and got in all three. ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We really don't consider NC A&T part of "Tobacco Road"***

Apr 23, 2015, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Ha...a school on Tobacco Rd. was my #2, but not Wake. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Hmmm...not sure I would fit in at NCA&T

Apr 23, 2015, 9:24 AM

If you know what I mean.

Greensboro is a SCARY place

Apr 23, 2015, 11:00 AM

If you know what I mean.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

rassist***

Apr 23, 2015, 10:59 AM [ in reply to We really don't consider NC A&T part of "Tobacco Road"*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#?Soybeanwind

Apr 23, 2015, 8:40 AM [ in reply to What "wrong reasons" is he talking about? ]

I really wish Dabo would stick to talking X's and O's or his backstory and faith.

Re: What "wrong reasons" is he talking about?

Apr 23, 2015, 8:48 AM [ in reply to What "wrong reasons" is he talking about? ]

Big difference, full cost of attendance is now paid for these athletes. No matter where they go they go 100% free.

However, they may look at joe blow U and see that they are getting 6k instead of 3k and that may factor into their decision.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

The question is...why would that be wrong?***

Apr 23, 2015, 8:48 AM

Re: The question is...why would that be wrong?***

Apr 23, 2015, 9:07 AM

because they aren't really making more money as you've stated. The money goes towards the full cost of attendance to said university. In theory, you aren't pocketing this money, so you aren't making more money.

making your college choice based on that perception is the wrong reason to choose that school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Isn't full cost of attendance just an estimate, though?

Apr 23, 2015, 9:22 AM

Like if I got a certain amount that pertains to food, but I ate PB&J every meal, I could profit?

Re: Isn't full cost of attendance just an estimate, though?

Apr 23, 2015, 9:25 AM

I believe it is just an estimate(hence "in theory" in my previous post). Which brings up the problem I believe Dabo was trying to highlight. It could be an unfair advantage for schools that can offer more money based on that estimate.

Well, I would want the amount to be an honest figure.

Apr 23, 2015, 9:26 AM

I'm not sure how that would be determined...perhaps by specific, measurable metrics, or by an independent entity of some sort.

Re: Well, I would want the amount to be an honest figure.

Apr 23, 2015, 9:37 AM

He wasn't very good at getting his point across, but I THINK that's the point he was attempting to make.

Apr 23, 2015, 9:43 AM

That's the exact point he was trying to make, he just didn't make it very well at all. When Auburn's full cost is higher than UCLA's, you know you've corruption somewhere

Apr 23, 2015, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Well, I would want the amount to be an honest figure. ]

It's something I believe the NCAA should enforce and measure through an independent agency that takes into consideration all of the factors at hand.

However, I don't think it'll happen that way because a lot of schools keep that number low to avoid "sticker shock" when parents look at the pamphlets.

Apr 23, 2015, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Re: The question is...why would that be wrong?*** ]

But the biggest portion of college FB athletes don't go to college for the education. They go for a chance to try and become a pro athlete, and that is definitely the very worst reason when considering how many of the 85 scholarship players from every FBS college that go on to have an NFL career.

These Statistics should be posted in every High School and College locker room across the united states. And if the NCAA are really for the student athletes, it should be mandatory that every athlete that excepts an athletic scholarship must graduate college before they are eligible to enter a professional sport. The numbers do infact point to graduation being the best for all student athletes.

http://www.recruit757.com/nfl-dreams-collegiate-reality/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2015, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Re: The question is...why would that be wrong?*** ]

You want it to be fair for every college athlete so they are insured to make more money. Make it a law that every scholarship athlete graduates college at a set GPA so that they can make more money when it really counts. And that is when they have to support themselves and their families. and in these days, the family has already been started for some while they are in college. Ensuring their education is the very best thing that could be done for them while they are at an influential time in their lives!!! Colleges are paying the bill for them to have that 1.6% chance out of 70,147 other players trying to get in the NFL. You want fair for them all equally, make sure they graduate before they are eligible for their 1.6% chance. Their chances will even be better after graduation, and if they don't make it, and 98.4% of them won't play in the NFL. But at least they will have a good college education that will help them have great paying jobs with a chance to retire with an IRA. I love sports especially FB, but I would 1000 times would rather have a Clemson degree than any sport career. FB careers are on average 5 to 6 years. Six years from today will be 2020/21, what kind of salary could I expect without a college degree if I'm even able to work. And most that leave the NFL are broke!!! Give me my Clemson degree and thank you FB for paying for that. And h&ll, I'm glad I didn't make the NFL and live in pain the rest of my life. You want fair for the kids, make ### sure they leave college with their degree, its free!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because of the unfair recruiting advantage that it creates.***

Apr 23, 2015, 10:22 AM [ in reply to The question is...why would that be wrong?*** ]

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

As long as the figure is honest, it isn't unfair, to me.

Apr 23, 2015, 10:28 AM

Is it unfair that Alabama has a recruiting advantage over Kent St., because they've won national championships? Is it unfair that UCLA has a recruiting advantage over Minnesota because it isn't 12 degrees outside?

There are all kinds of recruiting advantages. As long as it's legal, and it's honest, I see nothing wrong with it.

The NCAA needs to establish the amounts....

Apr 23, 2015, 10:31 AM

so that all schools who choose to participate all pay the exact same amount.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

That would be just a general stipend, I suppose.

Apr 23, 2015, 10:34 AM

And I don't think that would be a bad thing. But there is something to the fact that it takes different amounts of money to go to school at different places. So I think a "cost of attendance" figure could be fair, if done correctly.

Re: As long as the figure is honest, it isn't unfair, to me.

Apr 23, 2015, 4:15 PM [ in reply to As long as the figure is honest, it isn't unfair, to me. ]

Prod - you are incredibly naive and based on your clueless comments, I would be surprised if you were accepted into any 4 yr university!

Re: What "wrong reasons" is he talking about?

Apr 23, 2015, 11:32 AM [ in reply to What "wrong reasons" is he talking about? ]

Read between the lines.

What's wrong is some schools are already trying to make a bidding war. The cost of living in Starkville, MS is no way higher than that of Atlanta or Ft Worth.

It's an open door to salary, not stipend.

Re: New Story: Swinney says covering full cost of attendance "a nightmare"

Apr 23, 2015, 8:40 AM

And look who tops the list, scumbags at "Let's Buy a National Championship" Auburn University. Hello Scam, I'm looking at you.

Curious what exactly is covered by this additional $

Apr 23, 2015, 8:58 AM

Why is there such a difference between schools in the "full cost" figure? What exactly are they paying for - and why is Louisville's full cost figure $0?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That list has Auburn higher than UCLA

Apr 23, 2015, 9:23 AM

Does living in Auburn, AL really cost more than living in the Bel Aire area of LA?

methinks somebody lying.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're higher than UCLA also.***

Apr 23, 2015, 11:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Louisville is actually 3rd highest at $5,202

Apr 23, 2015, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Curious what exactly is covered by this additional $ ]

those numbers are wrong.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/full-cost-of-attendance-explained/

TCU and Baylor @ $50K+... Does that have something to do

Apr 23, 2015, 9:56 AM

with church write-offs...?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TCU and Baylor @ $50K+... Does that have something to do

Apr 23, 2015, 11:33 AM

No. Same as USC- they're private schools, so they don't get state funding.

I basically read it as

Apr 23, 2015, 10:14 AM

Dabo being OK with giving them food, clothing (uniform and workout/practice items, not street clothes), academic fees of course, and shelter. Any extra or "full cost" outstanding fees would not be included, hence he sees that as paying the student athlete, which is profit for the kid.

In which case, I would agree with him and it goes along with his disapproval of professionalizing student athletes.

However, the price to attend a university definitely drives the train on where people choose to attend. It was for me and I'm still paying back $60k! I don't necessarily see that as a "bad" reason.

Re: I basically read it as

Apr 23, 2015, 10:25 AM

What you will get from most 17 year-olds is that college A is going to pay me more than college B. Therefore I pick A.
The only way this will ever be fair is that a set amount/month or whatever period is set and all schools give the same thing.

Apr 23, 2015, 11:44 AM

That system is already in place, but you can't give the same thing. Prices vary across the country and rightfully so. A percentage would be more accurate OR just leave it as is with the minor exceptions, like food.

Apr 23, 2015, 6:30 PM

The cost at Auburn being so much higher than at UCLA is one of public transportation around the universities in question. Los Angeles has cheap , plentiful and efficient usages for its students , thus belaying a lot of the costs .
Auburn has Bernie Washington and his wagon.
Bernie has no horse.
You do the math.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Hookers and crack must be expensive at Auburn?***

Apr 23, 2015, 10:52 AM

I agree with Dabo. When someone posted our and SC's

Apr 23, 2015, 11:15 AM

"Cost of attending" numbers, and ours was lower, one of the very first responses was "We have to AT LEAST match South Carolina to remain competitive!" This is a loss for college sports...just my opinion.

Am I reading the chart in the story correctly that the "Costs prev" and "Costs now" represent the difference between the full ride the athletes used to get and the full ride PLUS "cost of attendance"? If so, the idea that the most expensive place to attend is Auburn University in rural Alabama is absolutely absurd and every one will know that. The idea that it's more expensive to get by in Mississippi than in Atlanta is laughable. Auburn says that their student-athletes will get $5,586 per year and Alabama says they will get $2,892? That will last approximately 7 seconds before Alabama "recalculates". Let the overt bidding wars begin...step to the side, NCAA...it's all on the up-and-up. And my passion for college athletics gets dimmer and dimmer. But in the short term, I hope our employees are better at football than their employees.

null

I don't get the Auburn thing either unless there's a huge

Apr 23, 2015, 11:20 AM

demand for off campus housing because there is so little of it, which would make average rent in the area go up.

Do Student-Athletes get any preferential treatment on

Apr 23, 2015, 11:24 AM

On-Campus housing? I know the football and basketball players all get full rides, free room and board.

null

What we all love about college athletics is dying a slow...

Apr 23, 2015, 12:35 PM [ in reply to I agree with Dabo. When someone posted our and SC's ]

death!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$1600 to live in Los Angeles or $5600 to live in Alabama

Apr 23, 2015, 11:25 AM

Take the extra 4 grand a year...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the grand scheme of things, I think the differences

Apr 23, 2015, 12:37 PM

may be minimal if the player is good enough to want to take his talents to the NFL. Then we're talking millions. At that point, there has to be a value placed on coaching and I'm not sure where that is reflected unless you look at coaching salaries maybe. For example, if I was a DL and saw the difference between AU and Clemson as far as payment...yeah, it's a few thousand. But what if I'm better coached, better prepared for the NFL at Clemson and thus raise my draft stock. A measly couple thousand a year is NOTHING compared to the millions a first rounder will make.

It'd be nice to have a cap on things so that this doesn't get out of hand though. Why can't the industry that makes billions cover the remaining costs to meet the highest dollar figure...that would seem like a drop in the bucket compared to the money generated wouldn't it?

Also, where is the additional moneys coming from?

do you guys understand this means the guys at some schools

Apr 23, 2015, 5:26 PM

Literally get a check for $5500 vs $2500 at another school? The basis of the #s is inconsistent so it amounts to an added incentive for a kid to choose TN over us.

Much better explanation of issue with link

Apr 23, 2015, 6:25 PM

Unfortunately this story didn't explain the issue very well in my opinion. This is a HUGE issue for us and other schools. Hopefully, this is a clearer explanation:

Currently schools are allowed to pay for tuition, room and board.

Every school also publishes a Cost of Attendance. The COA includes the tuition, room an board but also an "Other" category. With the new rule, each school will be able to pay their scholarship athletes the amount listed as "Other" on that school's COA as a stipend that the athlete will be able to pocket or use as they wish.

Clemson's COA is published here: http://www.clemson.edu/financial-aid/costs/COA.html

Note the $3,608 in the first column as "Other". This is the amount Clemson will be able to give to each scholarship athlete. The athlete can use it as they wish.

Here is the problem:
* There is no legislated, audited method for determining this amount. As such, you get Auburn at over $5,500 and Alabama at less than $2,900. This means players at Auburn get a check for over $5,500 and those at Auburn get a check for less than $2,900. No reasonable person thinks it costs that much more to do laundry etc at Auburn than it does at Alabama.
* So, the difference amounts to payola. And when you are a poor kid from GA trying to decide between TN at $5,666 and Clemson at $3,608 don't you think it will make a difference?
* The solution is for Clemson to devise a way to make the "Other" COA higher. The problem is that inflates scholarship costs not only for athletes but other students on COA based scholarships. It also make us look more expensive and drops our rankings in publications that assess the value of different schools, such as Money Magazine's rankings.

The good news is that Nick Saban is probably all over this.

The bottom line is that this is a horrid way to do this. If they really want to make it fair they will allow a $3,000 per year stipend adjusted for the Cost of Living (by reported federal measure).

Good explanation - thanks!***

Apr 23, 2015, 9:08 PM

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic