Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ga. Tech, not Clemson, Obvious Choice to Join FSU in Big 12
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Ga. Tech, not Clemson, Obvious Choice to Join FSU in Big 12

May 22, 2012, 7:05 PM

May 21, 2012
By Taylor

In a recent article, Ingram Smith (@IngramSmith) stated that Florida State’s departure to the Big 12 was inevitable.  Smith also stated that the Big 12 would likely pick another ACC team to join FSU in conference expansion with the obvious program being Clemson but in a surprise also Georgia Tech being in the mix.  While most think Clemson is the easy choice to depart, the Big 12 will push harder for Georgia Tech and in my opinion, would rather have the Yellow Jackets join their conference for quite a few reasons.

TV Market-The is the most obvious of all the reasons the Big 12 would choose Georgia Tech over Clemson.  While the area of upstate South Carolina has a passionate following to their beloved Tigers, you cannot ignore the sheer size of the city of Atlanta and the huge population difference between the state of Georgia and that of South Carolina.  Georgia has over nine million people while the Palmetto state has a little over four million.  The size difference is even more separated when you look at the metropolitan areas that each school is located.  The Atlanta metropolitan area is the ninth largest metropolitan statistical area (MSA) in the United States with just over five million people.  Compare that to the statistical area Clemson belongs to, the Greenville-Mauldin-Easley MSA, where the population is just over 600,000 people.  Quite a big difference in proximate television markets close to the universities at hand.  No, the majority of people in Georgia are not Georgia Tech fans but the same can be said in South Carolina about the Clemson Tigers.
Location, Location, Location-This is not even close.  Clemson is a nice college town with a beautiful lake.  Its quaint and a fantastic place with lots of tradition.  You cannot beat the Esso Club for a prime game day spot.  On the other hand, Atlanta is one of the hottest cities in the United States right now and is only getting more popular.  There are plenty of activities and events daily plus a plethora of hotels and restaurants to where fans can stay and eat.  Plus the Georgia Aquarium, professional sports teams and the up and coming College Football Hall of Fame, there are lots of activites for out of towners to participate in. You also have to take into account a much larger airport and three major interstates that run through the city to ease transportation.   Atlanta itself would be enough of a reason to add Georgia Tech to its roster.

Football Brand-Wait a second, I thought Clemson was the more desirable of the two athletic programs at hand.  While I admit, the larger and more passionate fan base can be attributed to the Clemson Tiger football program, the more successful athletic program, including football, is the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.  Which team has more National Championships?  Georgia Tech has four compared to Clemson's one with Techs being nine years more recent.  Longer bowl streak?  That too belongs to Georgia Tech.  All-Americans?  Tech again.  College Football Hall of Famers?  Put it down for the Jackets.  Yes, Clemson has more ACC Championships but Georgia Tech joined the conference 25 years after the Tigers did.    Since divisional play began in the ACC, they both have the same number of conference title game appearances and victories (if you don’t count the vacated 2009 Georgia Tech title.)  Plus overall, Georgia Tech has a 50-25-2 record over the Clemson Tigers.  Read that again, 50-25-2.  I know who I would take.
Academic Excellence-While Clemson has just recently been named a top 25 public university in the country (US New and World Report), it has taken many years to achieve that status.  Clemson globally is ranked 601 according to the QS World Collegiate rankings.  Georgia Tech on the other hand, has been a top ten public university for over a decade.  The Institute is also ranked 84th in the QS World Collegiate rankings.  If you are the Big 12, you need a school like Georgia Tech to add academic integrity to what is considered a sub-par academic conference.

Recruiting-This is another area in which the state of Georgia is excelling over its neighbor to the east.  Georgia has widely been considered one of the top four states for high school football players behind Texas, California and Florida.  There are hundreds of division I football players in the state of Georgia, with the majority of those being in the Atlanta area.  Schools like Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Tennessee, and Florida all are invading the Atlanta area trying to get in one the talent of the Peach State. Every school in the Big 12 would love to opportunity to come to the talent rich state of Georgia and recruit players.

Do I want Georgia Tech to leave the Atlantic Coast Conference for the Big 12?  No way.  And in no way am I pushing for the Jackets to leave.  I like the natural rivalries that come along with being a member of the ACC.  I would hate the long road trips that come along with away games to the Big 12.  College football in the South is like nowhere else in the country.  A Georgia Tech vs Iowa State matchup does far less for me than even Georgia Tech vs Duke.  Do I think the Jackets would bolt for the Big 12?  I doubt it but with the ever changing world of college athletics, nothing is out of the realm of possibility.  Conference expansion has been about money and television markets.  With that being the case, Georgia Tech is will be one of the most desired teams in all the land.  If all of this shakes out and FSU leaves for the Big 12, look for the Yellow Jackets to be the other team solicited to head west for greener pastures.

Copyright © 2012 Chuck Oliver.Net

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He will flip flop in a week just like every other moron that

May 22, 2012, 7:09 PM

writes for ChuckOliver.net...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ga. Tech, not Clemson, Obvious Choice to Join FSU in Big 12

May 22, 2012, 7:15 PM

WOW, I really never thought about GT like that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you own a computer?

May 22, 2012, 7:17 PM

Congrats you can write for chuckoliver.net

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you own a computer?

May 22, 2012, 7:23 PM

you also have to scream "Rhonda Rocks!" every chance you get.

That TV market argument is meaningless...

if the local market doesn't watch.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exhibit A: Boston College...***

May 22, 2012, 7:27 PM

Well, Atlanta watches college football.

May 22, 2012, 7:35 PM

Just don't think they're watching GT.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't think people in Boston watch good college football***

May 22, 2012, 8:18 PM

Boston, a pro town all the way.***

May 22, 2012, 10:02 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, Atlanta watches college football.

May 22, 2012, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Well, Atlanta watches college football. ]

yep and they are all watching UGA not GT

Re: That TV market argument is meaningless...

May 22, 2012, 8:56 PM [ in reply to That TV market argument is meaningless... ]

GT would be a good get. They have enough fans to get any futre big 12 network onto cable packages in ga. Ga has more tv sets than sc. Still i dont think gt would be the better choice. Fanbases and passion still count for something and yall blow gt away in those departments. Clemson just fits better into a football culture. GT would be a good addition to go along with clemson.

Thats funny considering its a done

Deal with Clemson already

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The guy who wrote this is an Atlanta native and a

May 22, 2012, 7:25 PM

life long Georgia Tech fan, according to the article. It's just a GT fan's opinion as opposed to a piece of objective journalism, and is presented as such. If one of us were asked to write an article regarding Big 12 expansion, I'm sure it would look very different, and would be just about as meaningful.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

GT has an impressive resume

May 22, 2012, 7:29 PM

They would likely only jump if the conference was truly falling apart.

If you are a CU fan, hard to refute. Not just past, but recent success too over CU's performance. Cu is lucky that GT likely does not want to jump if Big12 is looking to expand.

fwiw, I doubt any ACC schools announce any changes in conference prior to the next off season, maybe later.

I think you may be surprised.

May 22, 2012, 7:37 PM

The difference between GT and Clemson is that I don't believe the GT administration will make the decisions to protect football. I just don't believe it's viewed as much as a priority.

Clemson is in the GSP-Asheville TV market--

May 22, 2012, 7:39 PM [ in reply to GT has an impressive resume ]

msas you're in doesn't mean squat-- that market is Top 40 ..maybe Top 30. Clemson will bring every other TV market in SC-- columbia, charleston, florence as well as CLT---and every little coot will be watching pulling against us when their game isn't the same time. Clemson and FSU will have a tremendous pull in ATL more so than GT and any regional games will find there way on in both the Atlanta and Charlotte market even if it is a third tier or ppv type game.

Most UGA fans don't have the same interest in GT than UCS and CU fans have in each other and no one outside of GT fans-- and they are few gives a rip about them. CU is a bigger brand.

no doubt, I agree with you 100%. I just think

May 22, 2012, 7:55 PM

GA and ATL is just too hard to turn down if available. Do not think GT is interested in moving.

Re: GT has an impressive resume

May 22, 2012, 8:46 PM [ in reply to GT has an impressive resume ]

Our national football reputation dwarfs theirs in the minds of most people today. Their championships are long forgotten. Ours is fresh....and we're going to leave with another under our belts. Kings of the hill one last time. Quite fitting.

This TV market thing is getting thrown around in ways

May 22, 2012, 7:41 PM

that just make you go hmmmmm.

Three points, 1) AGAIN its been shown that a school in a BIG market does not necessarily bring more TV value than a school in a SMALL market. Easy example, Alabama vs. Boston College. Think about it, the size of the home does NOT equate to how many sets are being tuned in. Otherwise, the NORTHEASTERN schools would be the MOST VALUALBE and in fact for college athletics they are the LEAST valuable.

2) AGAIN the TV deals are being structured more and more on a national scale, see the games being covered nationally on ESPN/ESPN2 or whatever channel (CBS NATIONAL for SEC) or possibly SPLIT which brings up point

3) I've NEVER seen split coverage where its not a region but just a town. We would SURELY carry the same region that GT carries including Atlanta in any sort of TV arrangement but we attract MORE viewers (which is what matters).

^^^^ how much more is espn willing to pay for vpi and or

May 22, 2012, 8:40 PM

uva when they already have virginia?

sorry, why would espn want to overpay for something they already have?

what would be the difference in vpi tv sets just because they're getting pounded by alabama or clemson?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree that the TV market argument is totally overblown.

May 22, 2012, 9:29 PM [ in reply to This TV market thing is getting thrown around in ways ]

Just about every home in the world that has cable or internet access will be able to tune into any of the broadcasted games and individual conference or even school networks that are being talked about. It's not the number of TV sets in any given conference area, it's the number of viewers the programming itself generates where it's available. Heck, the ACC's deal with ESPN actually makes the ACC the most accessible college conference worldwide considering the multitude of outlets it has available and the depth of programming they just contracted for.

Networks and airtime are valuable ONLY when people tune in to watch.

If ever there was a classic case study for why the TV market approach is a failed model, look no further than our current conference home. The ACC spans a population base practically the entire length of the east coast, considerably larger than any other conference's population base. And what did it deliver?

Quality contests, iconic stadiums packed with rabid fans, and traditions and history packaged around the participants are what drives viewership across the country. Ask the folks in the bustling metropolis of Tuscaloosa about what their TV market means.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrote by a GaTech HOMER with an agenda.....

May 22, 2012, 7:50 PM

he is one of the typical GaTech/ACC elitist who looks down on "lowly" Clemson. He can't fathom why someone would think Clemson would be picked over GaTech.

I giggled at "Copyright © 2012 Chuck Oliver.Net"

May 22, 2012, 8:20 PM

and you still posted it here...with the copyright notice...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

If Atlanta gave a crap about Tech

May 22, 2012, 8:27 PM

then this would be a very well thought out, informed, decision. But as it stands, Tech is struggling to fill their seats. But how you say? There are more people living in the ATL metro area than in the state of SC. And while Clemson doesnt sell every game out, but attendance is allways high. Thats not counting the rest of Tiger Nation watching/tneting/listening from home. Clemson has a natural big time regional fan base, and our Alumni are AWESOME. Clemsons footprint is much larger than what GaT has in the ATL "market". The Clemson Brand is every bit as good as FSU's in the southeast, and surely not too far behind nationally.
Point being, Clemson and Fl State Is bigtime southern football and everyone knows it. ACC SEC BIG Bla bla bla.
Whatever happens with all this shuffling, if anything at all, rest assured Clemson football will not be left anywhere but in a solid position.

May 22, 2012, 8:30 PM

This is DUMB.
His theory is flawed that anyone cares about Georgia Tech. NO ONE watches Georgia Tech games so the idea that the Big 12 would have the Atlanta market is wrong.
The Atlanta market is watching UGA games. The entire state watches UGA games.
Tech is behind
UGA
Braves
Falcons.

Yea right what good does it do that have the Atlanta market

May 22, 2012, 8:37 PM

when all the TV's will be tuned to the UGA game. GATECH can't even fill a 55K stadium unless UGA, Auburn, or Clemson come and bring 20K fans.

More Clemson fans in and around ATL than GT fans.***

May 22, 2012, 8:40 PM

May 22, 2012, 8:55 PM

http://youtu.be/x0ow4X8tiMI

May 22, 2012, 9:00 PM

NERDS

May 22, 2012, 9:06 PM

http://www.cemetery-hill.com/2012-articles/may/clemson-remains-on-track-for-the-big-xii.html

FSU & Clemson are a package deal! That's is set in stone....

May 22, 2012, 9:43 PM

NM

May 22, 2012, 10:13 PM

Atlanta is a UGA market....there is no tv market for the bees

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic