Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well. Last night there was this:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 780

Well. Last night there was this:

Dec 1, 2020, 9:45 AM

https://www.wistv.com/2020/11/30/lr-board-trustees-strikes-down-motion-return-hybrid-schedule/

This morning there was this:

https://www.wistv.com/2020/12/01/high-schools-lexington-richland-close-following-high-number-staff-absences/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well. Last night there was this:

Dec 1, 2020, 10:00 AM

I watched all three hours of that board meeting. The superintendent was asking for a return to the hybrid model for 7-12 to deal with the challenges of covering classes for absent teachers. The board was having none of it and voted to adjourn without making any decisions, so here we are.

It basically went like this:

Board members: the safest place for the children is in the schools.

Superintendent: we ain’t got no teachers

Board members: the safest place for the children is in the schools

Pretty much that on a loop for three hours

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well. Last night there was this:

Dec 1, 2020, 10:06 AM

Education administrations really do think of teachers as replaceable cogs - that they can just get more of out of the parts room.

Their disconnect is the major problem in education.

That came up as well.

Dec 1, 2020, 10:10 AM

One boardmember went on a lengthy diatribe about how the district office needed to be exploring alternate options for temporary staffing as it relates to substitute teachers and bus drivers because their current provider of staffing could not find enough people willing to work in the schools.

Several schools in the district have their entire cafeteria staff‘s quarantined right now, and chapin high school has their entire administration on quarantine.

If they could only find enough substitute principals and lunch ladies things could get rolling smoothly

Deleted

Dec 1, 2020, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Well. Last night there was this: ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know of a school district at the opposite end of the

Dec 1, 2020, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Well. Last night there was this: ]

spectrum from Lexington county that is using custodial workers to monitor classes because so many teachers and aides are quarantined

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: I know of a school district at the opposite end of the

Dec 1, 2020, 10:15 AM

It seems to me that the AB cohort model is the most effective for dealing with the staffing limitations whenever outbreaks arise.

Because as you see here the only other option is going all virtual

It's the same problems in hospitals now

Dec 1, 2020, 10:33 AM

The number of hospital beds available is meaningless. We can make 10 million hospital beds available if needed. We can manufacture them, import them, pull them from storage, whatever. Build tents, take over convention centers, whatever. The PROBLEM is a hospital and a hospital bed is worthless without doctors and nurses. You will run out of them long before you run out of beds. In the Dakotas they eliminated quarantine requirements for hospital staff and let staff actively sick with covid treat covid patients, because there were no more nurses or doctors to be found. Otherwise, why even go to a hospital?

You can pluck substitutes and nurses out of retirement if you like, but many of them will not work because they're trying not to get it themselves, so it's difficult to bring in older, retired people to teach germ factories in schools or treat patients with covid. I think the high schools are going to hit much the same brick wall some hospitals have hit in places.

My son is in 6th grade and has been exposed twice. Once at school and once at scouts. Luckily scouts is outside with masks, and was not worried much there. But his friends also got letters from scouts and from school. And these rapid tests that have been shipped to the high schools, I think they're starting to have an impact. The idea is use the rapid tests to spot cases to keep the schools open. What will likely happen though in high schools, is so many new cases will be spotted, and so many more quarantined, that the schools will have to close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I will adress something else that we are starting to see

Dec 1, 2020, 11:08 AM

I keep hearing in the news "1/3rd of the student population is quarantined" or something along those lines.

We are averaging 15 students quarantined per 1 positive case.

So a school of 1000 would only need 23 positive students to be at 1/3rd of the student population gone.

That's what people don't get. They see the number of students not at school and assume they all have COVID. No, one student sent home anywhere from 15-30 of those students.

One thing I learned from the school with our 11 yo

Dec 1, 2020, 11:24 AM

If a student tests positive, it's not the whole class who has to quarantine. They have to have close contact, less than 6 feet, for more than 15 minutes, for it to require a quarantine. And with the plexi-glass, that makes 2 feet into 6 feet+.

or we can spend millions on field hospitals

Dec 1, 2020, 11:29 AM [ in reply to It's the same problems in hospitals now ]

that will never get used. The insanity that is COVID panic is unreal.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

across the country, parents are turning to private schools

Dec 1, 2020, 11:01 AM

as the incompetency of the public school bureaucrats has been potently distilled for all to see as a result of the pandemic.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: across the country, parents are turning to private schools

Dec 1, 2020, 11:09 AM

Here We Go GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

there are numerous stories this week on this topic

Dec 1, 2020, 11:12 AM

even NPR reported on it yesterday. when you take a break from teaching, google it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are private schools doing that public schools haven't

Dec 1, 2020, 11:13 AM

and how has that affected infection rates?

personal responsibility

Dec 1, 2020, 11:30 AM

yup, that is it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would that solve the problem?

Dec 1, 2020, 11:32 AM [ in reply to across the country, parents are turning to private schools ]

They'll have the same problems if not worse, or they may even put more people at risk if they refuse to take necessary precautions. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about the bureaucrat part, but suddenly switching problem won't solve it.

I don't know that there is a solution.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

switching meaning, their kids go to school

Dec 1, 2020, 12:55 PM

vs. falling a year or more behind with fake zoom school.

Might I make a suggestion regarding school staffing...

Dec 1, 2020, 11:24 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNPonfzIMMs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Might I make a suggestion regarding school staffing...

Dec 1, 2020, 12:54 PM

Good God.

Leave it to South Park to go there. That's really kind of amazing. They're almost, what, 20+ years in now and still manage to be the most offensive - if occasionally side-splittingly hilarious - show on TV?

That's dedication to your craft, there.

Whats the big deal with going all virtual?

Dec 1, 2020, 11:26 AM

I don't really follow any of this, but that seems like something some folks like, and others hate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Whats the big deal with going all virtual?

Dec 1, 2020, 11:30 AM

Many of the reported problems have been less student participation/drop in the quality of work, a decrease in instruction and rigor, student interpersonal relationships... among other things.

I think it also puts strains on parents who now have to either stay home or find someone to watch their kids.

But it's also a lot of ###### if you do, ###### if you don't.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You really want some grim stats on top of that?

Dec 1, 2020, 11:35 AM

And I think a recent SC teacher survey showed that something like 22 percent plan to exit the profession after this year because of the situation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/30/us/teachers-remote-learning-burnout.html

I saw that too, and don't understand

Dec 1, 2020, 11:40 AM

Seems like doing the virtual thing would be a lot easier for them.

Re: I saw that too, and don't understand

Dec 1, 2020, 11:42 AM

I would guess probably not for the teachers who also send their own kids to school.

Re: I saw that too, and don't understand

Dec 1, 2020, 11:50 AM [ in reply to I saw that too, and don't understand ]

I have a close friend that teaches high school that says that there is a considerable amount of extra work that goes into teaching virtually. That, with issues that others have posted about (lack of student engagement, technical difficulties, etc), has made many question if they can continue to teach under these conditions.

This was supposed to be my son's first year at a new school, so it has been difficult for him and my wife who has been his "learning coach" throughout this ordeal.

Your friend is correct

Dec 1, 2020, 11:58 AM

I teach 7 virtual classes and 2 face to face classes.

The virtual kids do absolutely nothing. Almost all are failing. The parents that I have contacted frequently have given up as well.

Looking at Greenville county data from last week:

Dec 1, 2020, 11:44 AM

Greenville County incidence rate per 100K (2 Week Average): 405
Greenville County Schools incidence rate per 100K: 202
Total GCS Teachers Positive/Quarantining: 40/150
Total #Teachers: 6000
Total School Population: 85000
Greenville County Teacher incidence rate per 100K (40 confirmed COVID Cases): 667
Greenville County Teacher incidence rate per 100K (accounting for 150 absentees):2500
Total Positive Cases (Average) 171.7
Student COVID positives: 131.7
Greenville County Student incidence rate per 100K: 167
Odds of contracting COVID-19 in a school: 21/10000

In summary, the student rate is less than half of the overall county rate. At the same time, teacher incidence rate is 1.5x the county rate and almost 3x the student rate. I am not sure what factors are causing a higher IR in teachers, but this is alarming as it appears they are catching the disease faster than the general population. Combine this with a 14-day quarantine and you get a serious problem. Like so many other pain points related to COVID, the decisions we are making are far more problematic than the virus itself.

so how come the teachers

Dec 1, 2020, 11:50 AM

at my daughters daycare are fine and not one single issue has occurred since June?

I say its because they are hourly and they need the work/money.

Teachers that are lazy, like FBCoach will suck the life out of their sick days and claim that they are sick or have been exposed so they can stay home.....and still get a paycheck.

There is some of this going on IMO.

Dec 1, 2020, 11:56 AM

The teacher incidence rate is simply too high to be supported by contagion in their environment.

Well somebody is lying

Dec 1, 2020, 12:24 PM

Re: Well somebody is lying

Dec 1, 2020, 12:38 PM

Since when are the teachers making the decisions on going virtual or face to face? You understand that school boards and district personnel make those decisions, right?

Of course you don't.

Or, let me use your FSU analogy

Dec 1, 2020, 12:42 PM

You blaming the teachers for this situation is equivalent to blaming the players for the FSU debacle.

Re: Or, let me use your FSU analogy

Dec 1, 2020, 12:47 PM

Dec 1, 2020, 1:02 PM

First of all, I've forgotten more about that school district and school board than you'll ever know.

Oh no! T3 knows more about a specific school board and district than me! Burn!

What a stupid and irrelevant point. The knowledge of this district has nothing to do with this.

It doesn't matter if teachers "called out the district". They don't make the decisions on closing or virtual or face to face any more than the fry cook at a McDonald's calls the shots or the football players decide if a game is canceled or not.

If you want to criticize someone, criticize those upper level officials. They call the shots.

Dec 1, 2020, 1:04 PM

Dec 1, 2020, 1:18 PM

How on Earth does any human being stay mad as long and as often as you do? Man, it's amazing to witness.

Usually they spontaneously combust at some point. I have this image of you as Michael Douglas in Falling Down, just sorta walking across the city, making friends with everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8b3963VRW4

Dec 1, 2020, 1:26 PM

Dec 1, 2020, 1:55 PM

LOL.

Well, at least you're consistent. ;)

Nobody attacked you, you big baby.

Dec 1, 2020, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Or, let me use your FSU analogy ]

I pointed out that your analogy was ridiculous and that your blame is misplaced. This is like screaming at a McDonald's fry cook because corporate decided not to bring back the ####### McRib this month.

If that's attacking you, I would advise you grow a thicker skin and grow up a little.

Dec 1, 2020, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Or, let me use your FSU analogy ]

Justify what actions? Who is refusing to work and actually getting away with it while also collecting a salary? None of them.

Answer these questions:

Who decides whether a school stays open? The school board/superintendents or teachers?
Who decides if the whole state goes virtual? Any teachers?
Who decides if a school is face to face or virtual? The school board/superintendents or teachers?
Who determines all COVID operational guidelines in schools? The school board/superintendents or teachers?
Who decided that T3 was dumb and gave him bad grades? Well, you got me on that one.

You are the biggest name-calling crybaby when someone points out how wrong you are. Your FSU example was beyond absurd. That's like accusing FSU players of canceling the game.

I'm going to go out on a limb and call DHEC's data crap

Dec 1, 2020, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Or, let me use your FSU analogy ]

Their daily numbers are off about 30% now. I watch the hospital data now for a real time picture because you won't get that from DHEC's numbers. I also know the numbers for my son's middle school are incorrect on your source. Assuming they're cumulative, I know them to be false, and false 2 weeks ago.

When teachers know see what's going on, and what's being ignored, I can see them boycotting. That's how Trump lost. People saw through him as well. People appreciate the truth and honesty. They recoil at lies and deception. Here, from the FB page you cited:

https://www.facebook.com/scfored/posts/858436348257965

I know when my son received his email about exposure, it said a student in his class had tested positive but he didn't have to be tested or quarantined, and just watch him for symptoms. Well, the school nurse said "Get him tested". Several of his friends later tested positive, one in scouts and school with him. And there are many other kids I know in that middle school who have had it, and it's more than seven. And that's the kids. Who knows about the adults. Schools are not following the CDC guidelines, that much has been shown.

Re: I'm going to go out on a limb and call DHEC's data crap

Dec 1, 2020, 4:52 PM

If you recoil from lies you shouldn't vote at all.***

Dec 1, 2020, 5:05 PM [ in reply to I'm going to go out on a limb and call DHEC's data crap ]

This pandemic is built on crap data.***

Dec 1, 2020, 5:06 PM [ in reply to I'm going to go out on a limb and call DHEC's data crap ]

After seeing all the bickering going on just in this thread

Dec 1, 2020, 2:37 PM

I am so glad I don't have to worry about this.

Re: After seeing all the bickering going on just in this thread

Dec 1, 2020, 2:48 PM

Go drive your golf cart too fast, you ####### scofflaw.

Replies: 46
| visibility 780
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic