Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
About the NCSU game from a Tiger fan who works for NCSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

About the NCSU game from a Tiger fan who works for NCSU

Oct 17, 2016, 11:29 AM

About the NCSU game - If it wasn't for bizarre things like Gallman getting knocked out in the first quarter, Watson throwing the only pick six of his career, fumbles galore, and 4 possessions in the redzone that amounted for 0 points (how many times is that gonna happen in any game ever?), the game would've turned out exactly like people thought. I mean State's offense only had 10 points and that includes OT. Take it they could've easily had 16 to 20, but even so, we should have had at least 37+ points, if not 45 or more. We battled through an unfathomable amount of miscues and strange happenings...and still WON!

State fans I work with keep saying to me Clemson was lucky to win on Saturday. Yeah, they're right, Clemson was lucky State's kicker missed one kick, but State is lucky Clemson kept dropping the ball over and over and over again or it wouldn't have even been close.

Clemson has won 12 out of the last 13 against State. I guess maybe that's luck too?

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were lucky

Oct 17, 2016, 11:42 AM

I'm fine with saying that.

But, as you said, if you're going to employ that sort of logic then they were dang lucky to be in that position to begin with.

Sure, their kicker missed one that would've beaten us. They didn't make a play. We were fortunate they didn't.

But, again as you said, they were incredibly fortunate we didn't make the myriad of plays that were out there for the taking and coughed the ball up when we did. They were fortunate that the dude who forced the goal line fumble was playing after the clear targeting penalty wasn't called earlier. They were fortunate that there was an inch of air under William's arm when he touched the ball after his fumble so he wasn't out of bounds. They were fortunate we missed on at least 3 wide open deep balls.

So yeah, I'll take the luck in winning. We clean up the clear and easy mistakes and that game is a laugher.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We were lucky

Oct 17, 2016, 11:46 AM

Totally agree!

Re: We were lucky

Oct 17, 2016, 11:47 AM [ in reply to We were lucky ]

Plain and simple...they were lucky the ref missed the targeting call on Gallman. That'd have been 15 yard penalty, with the loss of a player that did quite a lot in that game....1st and goal Clemson's ball (instead of NC State fumble recovery).

One correction

Oct 17, 2016, 12:04 PM [ in reply to We were lucky ]

Williams most definitely touched the ball when he was on top of a defender who was out of bounds. I'm still wondering about the specifics of that ruling, but Williams definitely touched it.

He wasn't out of bounds

Oct 17, 2016, 12:11 PM

The defender was, but Williams had not yet touched out of bounds when he touched the ball.

That's why it wasn't our ball.

Think of it this way. When Scott stepped on the gamecock player's hand last year the defender was all sorts of out of bounds, but the contact with an out of bounds player does NOT make the other player out of bounds.

Same thing here. Had Williams hand touched down a split second earlier (out of bounds) then that touch on the ball would've made it a dead ball. But it didn't, and the fumble stood.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry but thats incorrect

Oct 17, 2016, 1:18 PM

William was on top of the out of bounds player and he touched tbe ball. Absolutely no doubt about that.

Reading your reply again, I see what youre saying...

Oct 17, 2016, 1:20 PM [ in reply to He wasn't out of bounds ]

Was that the formal ruling?

There really is no ruling necessary

Oct 17, 2016, 1:42 PM

Until Mike Williams himself is out of bounds (some part of him touches out of bounds) then any contact he had with the ball would be inconsequential to the play as far as rulings go.

Williams was on top of a player and hadn't touched down out of bounds yet, thus the ball was still live. Hence NCST recovery and return.

What did they say after the review? I'm gonna call that a

Oct 17, 2016, 4:45 PM

ruling. I get the logic perfectly, but I thought it was reviewed, no? That would mean there was some sort of ruling on the play.

Interesting point on this play:

Oct 17, 2016, 4:50 PM [ in reply to There really is no ruling necessary ]

** A ball not in player possession is out of bounds if it is touching anything that is
out of bounds.

Was Mike Williams out of bounds? Artavis Scott was not.

This is why they missed the kick

Oct 17, 2016, 11:44 AM

Tank made him flinch !

What a great picture.***

Oct 17, 2016, 11:49 AM

I'm digging the chick with her back turned.

Oct 17, 2016, 11:51 AM [ in reply to This is why they missed the kick ]

I'm actually surprised there aren't more.

Regarding the missed kick...we were fortunate not lucky...

Oct 17, 2016, 11:54 AM

If one has to use the work "lucky" then one must call out all the "luck" on both sides. NCSU had many lucky breaks the biggest being not called for "targeting" resulting in automatic first down and ejection of their player for the rest of the game.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: About the NCSU game from a Tiger fan who works for NCSU

Oct 17, 2016, 12:01 PM

Yes, Clemson was lucky for the missed field goal HOWEVER we did block the previous attempt so the NC State kicker was thinking about that when lining up to kick the "Game Winning" field goal.

So Clemson did in fact have something to do with the mentality of the kicker which may in fact threw him off his game. Plus the coaching staff called a time-out which made the kicker probably overthink the chip shot field goal attempt!

But we'll take the "lucky" win and move on!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly!!***

Oct 17, 2016, 3:26 PM

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic