Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We were all sick of the LSU (SEC) vs Bama match ups
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 3,340

We were all sick of the LSU (SEC) vs Bama match ups

Apr 15, 2018, 11:44 AM

Do y'all think the country will get tired of seeing Clemson vs. Bama? If I take my orange tinted aviators off, I can see that being the case.

This leads me to believe that an expansion is needed. Even if it's just two more teams with the 1 & 2 getting a bye as a reward. What you guys think. More football? Am I being selfish? Discuss this amongst yourselves for my pleasure.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We were all sick of the LSU (SEC) vs Bama match ups

Apr 15, 2018, 11:54 AM

I think they’re already tired which warms my little orange heart, cuz based on what my eyeballs see, we’re gonna a problem on everybody’s schedule for a while. Clemson’s been great before, but it was never like this, that’s what I think.

Apr 15, 2018, 11:54 AM

College Football does NOT need to expand any further with games. I love football as much as the next guy but we have to take into consideration these are college kids that have school to do also. This will also bring into the fact of more injuries that could ruin pro careers for a lot of stud athletes. Players are already exhausted after the regular season. If it wasn't for the month off before the bowl games then they'd be collapsing in front of us (exaggerating of course) but it still stands. Every year we get little tidbits of how tired our players are going into week 10-12 of the regular season and all the nagging injuries our guys have from it.

So no, no more games.

As for Clemson Bama games. I've had that same thought during our Natty win and last years Semi but it's not our problem. Other teams need to get on our level if they want something different. It's not our fault that other teams cannot get it together like the Clemson and Bamas of the world. Our own fans may eventually get tired of playing Bama but right now? Heck no. The games have been epic in their own standards.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The "it's not our problem" is the thing...

Apr 15, 2018, 12:12 PM

It feels great as a Clemson fan but we're a small percentage of college football. It can very much become our 'problem' if there is enough of an outcry as there was with the LSU vs Bama rematches. Ratings are king...if the playoff begins losing ratings because people don't care to watch another Clemson/Bama rematch, I'd be willing to bet something will change.

I'm bringing this up because I certainly don't see Clemson or Bama regressing in the near future. We appear to be poised as a perineal player with Bama. If I'm wrong and people will tune in to see us battle it out with Bama, then good. This won't really be an issue. I just wonder if (and when) the ratings would turn.

The concern for students and safety seems like a slippery slope. We could find ways of cutting back to a ten game season if their safety and academics is of true concern.

Re: The "it's not our problem" is the thing...

Apr 15, 2018, 12:25 PM

The thing is, Clemson and Bama are at levels that a #5-#8 team in the country are truly a drop off in coaching and talent in this day in football.

Yeah, ratings determine everything because money makes the world go round. But will adding 4 more teams, say Wisconsin, Ohio State and Miami have really changed anything? The world already saw what we did to a #6? Miami team at the time. What I'm saying is, they can add teams all the way to the #16 rank. The disparity of talent and coaching from the top 4 to the top 16 is pretty wide if you look it and Clemson and Bama would more than likely still meet up at the end and nothing would've really changed except more football.

And cutting regular season games is a slippery slope as well. It'd take away perennial rivalries that are played every year in and out of conferences and people really don't want that.

Apr 15, 2018, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: We were all sick of the LSU (SEC) vs Bama match ups ]

tigerforlife, I know these are just college kids and they have school work and what not, but what about the basketball players? Arn't they college kids too? Don't they have school work too?

Apr 15, 2018, 8:27 PM

College basketball has got a ton of problems at the moment. I don't follow it enough to really have an input on that though. I am really not sure how they have the time to even do schooling when they're constantly traveling and gone for a whole month if they're in the tournament.

Playoff expansion is inevitable.***

Apr 15, 2018, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Re: We were all sick of the LSU (SEC) vs Bama match ups ]

Apr 15, 2018, 12:05 PM

I think that when the current contract run out there will be an expansion to 8 teams. This wil be 2026 at the earliest as that is when the current contracrt expires.

Apr 15, 2018, 12:09 PM

I think it may have been more about watching boring football. If I remember correctly, those were boring defensive struggles with no offense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2018, 12:13 PM

That is very true. I remember a score of 6-3. Can't remember if that was the NC or the SECCG.

Apr 15, 2018, 12:33 PM

It was the regular season game as both are in the West and could not play in the SECCG. LSU won the regualr season and did not cross the 50 in the NC game.

Apr 15, 2018, 12:44 PM

Gotcha. That was one NC I never watched. Had no interest in that snooze fest.

Apr 15, 2018, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: We were all sick of the LSU (SEC) vs Bama match ups ]

You're half right. People could not stand a 9-6 game. That also went into OT! Then when people heard it was the natty game, it wasn't exactly exciting. On top of that, it was all Bama in the rematch. A good bit of the country also doesn't like an all SEC matchup. Ratings for the Bama UGA game say otherwise but I think people watched it anyway because Bama was getting handled pretty well in the first half and it shocked people. Then a freshman comes in the 2nd half and saves the day for Bama. It was a scenario that couldn't be missed but a good bit of people still didn't like an all SEC title game.

What’s sickening is Bama has their chance, blows it, then is gifted another

Apr 15, 2018, 2:49 PM

chance - something no other team would be given.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Seriously TTT, I think America loves change

Apr 15, 2018, 12:15 PM

And I believe TL with his long hair, surfer on steroids looks, and serious passing skills could take Clemson public relations and nationwide interest to yet another level.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2018, 12:17 PM

Everyone was sick of SEC vs SEC when there were other teams just as worthy!! As long as the 2 best teams play, (those were not the 2 best teams), then there you have it.

not selfish

Apr 15, 2018, 12:35 PM

but extremely shellfish ;)

the bama lsu rematch was in the same season-big difference***

Apr 15, 2018, 12:47 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not if the Clemson - Bama games are like the 2015

Apr 15, 2018, 12:56 PM

and 2016 versions. People really got sick of Bama vs LSU because all of the games looked like 2017 Clemson vs Bama - dominant defenses and inept offenses. That kind of game doesn't make for good TV.

Apr 15, 2018, 3:46 PM

Can't imagine why people would be tired of seeing Bama vs. Clemson. They've met three times in the playoff and two of those were nail biters. Soon enough fans can get tired of watching Clemson play Georgia in the playoffs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2018, 7:38 PM
giphy.gif(67.2 K)

Apr 15, 2018, 9:18 PM

To be perfectly honest, I think the move to a 4-team Playoff has been a great move, but moving it past four teams would be a mistake at this time. We've had some real epic national championship games the past three years, but the semifinals have left a lot to be desired most of the time. Of the 8 semifinal games, 6 of them have been blowouts (Oregon v FSU, Clemson v Oklahoma, Alabama v MSU, Clemson v Ohio St, Alabama v Washington, Alabama v Clemson), one game has been good (Ohio St v Alabama) and one has been a classic (Georgia v Oklahoma). Of the championship games, only the first (Ohio St v Oregon) has been one-sided. The remaining three have been all-time classics. To me, that says the following:

1. The playoff committee has mostly nailed it with their rankings.
2. There's a pretty wide gap between the "truly elite" and the "very good" since the semifinal games have been blowouts but the national titles have been classics.

I think as far as publicity goes, it's better to have the almost-in teams complain about not getting a chance rather than have four more games which include several teams which, in my opinion, clearly aren't on an elite level. Until college football evens out more, and we start seeing consistent great games at the semifinal level, we should stick to 4 teams, then go 6, then go 8 teams as needed. But again, this should only happen if we see the level of balanced competition to warrant an expansion.

Replies: 22
| visibility 3,340
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic