Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We owe a lot to Pitt.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,502

We owe a lot to Pitt.

Feb 15, 2017, 5:06 PM

I had the privilege of attending both of Clemson's National Championship games in 1981 and 2016. The thought occurred to me today that we have the Pittsburgh Panthers to thank for both of them.

In 1981 had Pittsburgh not lost to Penn State, then we probably could have only tied for first place at best (but probably would have ended up as #2). So thank you Pitt for laying an egg to clear the way for Clemson to be the exclusive National Champion that year.

Then in 2016 I'm sure Pittsburgh perceived our loss to them in Death Valley to be "Sweet Revenge." How ironic it turned out to be that the loss was a major factor in the Tigers stepping their game up to another level, and thus resulted in our second National Championship.

So if you happen to hear any snide remarks from a Pitt fan, be sure to thank them for their support in helping Clemson to both National Championships.

Just a thought I wanted to share.

P.S. Can any of you graphics guys create an Icon picture for me that indicates my attendance at both Championship games??? If so T-mail me.
Thanks in advance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We owe a lot to Pitt.

Feb 15, 2017, 5:19 PM

Also, many of the talking heads felt that voters would select GA as their national champion that year - that is, if GA won their bowl game. These knuckleheads - at least some of them - felt GA would then be NC no matter what Clemson did in the Orange Bowl. That would have been a complete sham, given the fact that GA lost to undefeated Clemson during the regular season. But guess who beat them in the Sugar Bowl that year...PITT! Dan Marino was Pitt's Q-back and threw a 53 yard TD pass to win with (I believe) less than a minute left in the game. So yes, we have plenty for which to thank PITT.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2017, 5:25 PM

I had forgotten that. Makes it even better. I wonder what they can do to help us this year :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean the coot refs***

Feb 15, 2017, 5:29 PM

Feb 15, 2017, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Re: We owe a lot to Pitt. ]

Dan Marino was the first player that I remember CLEMSON going all out to recruit. He visited CLEMSON and his name was on the promotion board of the old movie house declaring "we want you". I don't recall us ever courting a player such as that. Didn't work as he ended up a Panther. The Tigers have never beaten the Pitt team in football. Maybe next time!

Feb 15, 2017, 6:08 PM

So by proxy , we're thanking Joe Pa ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,502
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic