Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What worries me about Zion..........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

What worries me about Zion..........

Jan 19, 2018, 4:56 PM

Look, I know that most projections have Zion coming to us. I hope that is true but what worries me is that it would be so "Clemson Basketball" if Zion chose someone else. It's just the culture. So many times we have been close to seemingly take it to the next level but for whatever reason...........

Here's top hoping I am wrong!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We obviously want him......

Jan 19, 2018, 4:59 PM

but he is only coming for 1 year anyway. It's not a crazy program changer. I hope he comes, but it's ot someting equal to Trevor Lawrence or CJ Spiller etc.

Re: We obviously want him......

Jan 19, 2018, 5:52 PM

I don't think you could possibly be more wrong. You are talking about a program changer to a program that needs to be changed. He can be CJ Spiller, you know the guy other elite guys look to and say they too can go to Clemson and be successful. CJ Spiller is the reason why Clemson had success in Florida recruiting elite guys in Dabo's early head coaching days. So to think Zion can't have that same impact is asinine. You are also talking about a guy that Drake has worn his high school jersey and who countless NBA stars have gone to watch. You are talking about a guy who's highlight video's get millions of views on Youtube. You are talking about a guy who has more twitter followers than Clemson Football which has been touted as the best social media platform in college sports, not just football. Not to mention the talent this guy has. A guy who averages over 30 points a game on the AAU circuit against other highly sought after prospects. So yeah I think you'd be extremely ignorant to think Zion coming to Clemson isn't as big of a deal as signing a CJ Spiller, Trevor Lawrence or and XT. The only difference is we expect the football team to sign those guys now. This is the best, and maybe the best ever, opportunity Clemson has to really move forward with the basketball program. So yes, to say getting Zion would be a major major get would be the understatement of all time.

Jan 19, 2018, 6:36 PM

Exactly.......we flirt with being respectful. This IS our chance but does history serve?

I am right without question remotest right.

Jan 19, 2018, 10:49 PM [ in reply to Re: We obviously want him...... ]

I have seen it so many times. It will give us a bump, but that is it. We're not going to start getting McD's AA's due to his signing. I have followed basketball recruiting well before followed college football recruiting. Think Ben Simmons LSU or Jonathan Bender at Mississippi State. It's not even similar to Spiller.

See LSU

Jan 20, 2018, 4:29 AM [ in reply to Re: We obviously want him...... ]

Simmons gone, LSU irrelevant again. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have him commit, but he’s not bringing anyone with him this class. If the top SC player for next year is influenced, then that’s another story.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course he’s a crazy program changer.

Jan 19, 2018, 7:22 PM [ in reply to We obviously want him...... ]

He will be our best recruit, by far. Even if he is only here 1 year, he will make us a better team. He will also provide instant credibility for our coaches when they are recruiting other top prospects.

This is a huge deal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

It will be for a brief moment.

Jan 19, 2018, 10:50 PM

It's not what you are thinking. Its a huge deal for 1 year. That is it.

It changes the perception of the program.

Jan 20, 2018, 12:19 AM

C.J. Spiller didn't help us win anything of significance. He didn't even help us win an ACC Championship. But he did give Clemson a lot of clout when recruiting other five star players. Zion would do the same thing for basketball.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

CJ Spiller gave us credibility in the state of Florida.

Jan 20, 2018, 12:40 AM

In college hoops Zion will be seen as the local kid that stayed home before he jumped to the NBA after a season if he is ready. We're not getting 5 star hoops players because of him from elsewhere. If there is one from the upstate again we may. It won't be happening generally otherwise. In football Spiller changed everything. Then again Clemson football was a sleeping giant. No offense, but you don't understand college basketball recruiting as well I know you know the game generally. I definitely respect your Clemson basketball knowledge and passion. Anyway, let's just hope we land him and then hopefully you are correct and I am wrong, but very confident after following college basketball recruiting for so long. It's pretty much the same schools every year getting the 5 star players in hoops, aside from when they stay local here and there. Let' just land Zion first.

I agree, let's get him first and then we can debate his

Jan 20, 2018, 2:23 AM

potential effect, or lack thereof, on our recruiting future. :)

Jan 19, 2018, 8:19 PM [ in reply to We obviously want him...... ]

Why is it a foregone conclusion that he is coming for only one year? I think Zion is different and may want more than just a place to park for a year and get to the NBA. Zion may need work on his game and I am not sure that he can come in and just dominate experienced college players. I hope he can if he comes here, but I think his game needs some work.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2018, 8:27 PM

It would be best if he came for one year, to be honest. If he were to come to Clemson and become a 2-3 year player, it'd be a sign that he didn't live up to the hype.

Jan 19, 2018, 10:48 PM [ in reply to Re: We obviously want him...... ]

Tiger links I would agree Zion likely needs two years to perfect his overall game, work in the weighroom and generally get better. Hope he stays!

Go Tigers!

Because if he is good enough he is one and done.

Jan 19, 2018, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Re: We obviously want him...... ]

That's the way it works now.

Would it shock you if he stayed multiple years at Clemson?

Jan 19, 2018, 10:22 PM [ in reply to We obviously want him...... ]

Talk to Christian Wilkins about how special Clemson is.

Cooters will NEVER understand the draw of a REAL college campus, especially one as beautiful as Clemson's campus.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would it shock you if he stayed multiple years at Clemson?

Jan 20, 2018, 2:18 PM

The hoops culture is different. If we're lucky enough to get Zion, we should hope he's a 1 & done.

why worry? Love to have him but if not we are still Clemson Basketball***

Jan 19, 2018, 5:43 PM

Let me guess...you’re a motivational speaker, aren’t you?***

Jan 19, 2018, 7:25 PM

Do I need to be? Why would you worry about it? I hope we get him but

Jan 19, 2018, 7:31 PM

What is worrying going to do?

I thought you were saying that Clemson basketball will always suck regardless.

Jan 19, 2018, 8:03 PM

Sorry if I misread that.

Don’t worry, he is coming to Clemson.***

Jan 19, 2018, 7:20 PM

Re: Don’t worry, he is coming to Clemson.***

Jan 19, 2018, 8:00 PM

The more I've read and thought about it... we are gonna be dissapointed tomorrow night. The weight of the world will be in this kids shoulders if he chooses the Tigers. As a freshman he will be expected to take us to the sweet 16 or more. It's too much. The other schools offer a better supporting cast. Tiger fan for life and yes he's a program changer, but it won't be this program.

Jan 19, 2018, 8:03 PM

Big time players don't feel pressure

Jan 19, 2018, 10:46 PM

Well of course we do , we just rise to the occasion.

DB23

He is very confident in his abilities and has loved Clemson’s coaches all along.

Jan 19, 2018, 8:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Don’t worry, he is coming to Clemson.*** ]

We were the first major program to recruit him a few years ago. He likes the staff and campus a lot. The fact that it is close to home is a big plus. He also wants to be a program changer and not just another top recruit at a blue blood program.

I will be absolutely shocked if he doesn’t chooose Clemson.

Plus the fact that Tigers have improved and have a 6 11 4*

Jan 19, 2018, 10:07 PM

coming in...I hope so, however I don't like his quote on ESPN today, about how he likes the in State school, but hopes they will not be disappointed if he chooses elsewhere...

Re: What worries me about Zion..........

Jan 19, 2018, 10:15 PM

Worrying serves no purpose other than making yourself miserable and junking up the board

Jan 19, 2018, 10:31 PM

What should really worry you about Zion Williamson is his low post moves .

You can not defend .

DB23

Jan 20, 2018, 6:23 AM

In an interview, Zion commented about one and done's. IF he comes here, I believe he will be here at least two years. Just my opinion of course.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic