Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson basketball/ Rick Barnes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 51

Clemson basketball/ Rick Barnes

Feb 10, 2019, 10:00 AM

I read a lot of negative posts concerning Rick Barnes. I’ve followed Clemson sports for about 60 years. I’m still proud of Rick for confronting ACC basketball officials and Dean Smith for the preferential treatment towards UNC when Smith was coaching. Sure, they were the best team but they had ACC officials in their pocket. Barnes was not intimidated by Smith or the Zebras. My regret is that Barnes didn’t stay 5 of 6 more years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson basketball/ Rick Barnes

Feb 10, 2019, 10:19 AM

he was a good coach, but he was always looking for another job. he played us vs Ohio state for more money.His departure for Texas left a sour taste in most Clemson fans mouths. He was a little two faced with the media and Clemson fans. He has appeared to mellow in old age.

Feb 10, 2019, 10:51 AM

I can’t say anything bad about coach Barnes. He was a straight shooter in my opinion. He was smart enough to see early in his career what we all know to be true. ACC basketball in controlled by the powers that be in the league and likely always will be. There have been several chances to bring down Duke and UNC in recent years but it hasn’t happened. If Clemson had a mess like the Duke soccer program or the recent Chapel Hill fiasco we would be in deep s&,/ .

Feb 10, 2019, 12:48 PM

What’s the issue with Duke soccer?

Prolly meant lacrosse***

Feb 11, 2019, 11:13 AM

Feb 10, 2019, 10:26 AM

I agree. He made a very positive impact on our program, and every other one he coached at. Took over teams with limited talent and got the best with hand he was dealt. What he has done with the Vols is amazing. Very deserving of the recognition he is finally getting.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson basketball/ Rick Barnes negative posts?

Feb 10, 2019, 11:27 AM

a lot of negative posts about Rick Barnes? Doesn't look that way except for what I said today. He gets too much praise. As per standing up to Dean Smith. I don't think losing his sh?t and trying to fight Dean Smith was standing up to him. There are better ways to stand up to UNC and getting a thrown out of games and challenging Dean to a fight isn't the best way. That's the reason why he apologized because it was out of line.

He should have drop-kicked old Deano right then and there.

Feb 10, 2019, 11:49 AM

I think his apology was just lip service, and I think that, in spite of everything else that happened (and was said to have happened), that moment was needed, and endeared Barnes to Clemson fans forever.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

lmao!!

Feb 10, 2019, 12:35 PM

I'd have paid big money to see Rick throw just one haymaker in Smith's direction

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lmao!!

Feb 10, 2019, 12:39 PM [ in reply to He should have drop-kicked old Deano right then and there. ]

I'd have paid big money to see Rick throw just one haymaker in Smith's direction

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have only had two basketball coaches who have stood up to UNC coaches.

Feb 10, 2019, 11:48 AM

Rick Barnes was one of them. Brad Brownell was the other.

In my opinion, they are the two best basketball coaches we have had. Coincidence? I think not.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: We have only had two basketball coaches who have stood up to UNC coaches.

Feb 10, 2019, 12:58 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We have only had two basketball coaches who have stood up to UNC coaches.

Feb 10, 2019, 3:33 PM [ in reply to We have only had two basketball coaches who have stood up to UNC coaches. ]

I'd put Oliver Purnell in that group too. We were in terrible shape after the Larry Shyatt years as HC. He brought respectability to the program. We're in the rankings the last three years and hosted College Gameday hoops version. Brownell has gone on record he wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't see OP's success here. He did a lot...

Purnell definitely did some good things.

Feb 10, 2019, 8:33 PM

There is no doubting his ability to turn around programs. He ran a system that worked well to generate easy points, and recruited athletes to fit that system. As great as he was at turning programs around, his coaching left a lot to be desired in my opinion. We had no offensive identity, and I felt that he failed to make in-game adjustments when necessary. His winless record in the NCAA Tournament is a good example of that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

He was also good at generating excitement. Fans were excited

Feb 11, 2019, 11:12 AM

to see his teams compete.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 10, 2019, 11:59 AM

The coaching job he did in his first year with Buckner, Iturbe, Code, Bruce Martin, and Bill Harder will never be replicated again at Clemson. Unfortunately he never took his foot off the gas with the players and the admin and he wore out his welcome. He is an amazing BBall coach that was still learning some things while he was here. He and Shyatt were awesome together.

Agreed, and wasn’t it Dean’s mouthing at Harder that set Barnes off

Feb 10, 2019, 1:05 PM

I’m glad he lit into him...

And the Buckner dunk in the ACC tourney was an epic moment never to be forgotten in tiger town.

Re: Agreed, and wasn’t it Dean’s mouthing at Harder that set Barnes off

Feb 10, 2019, 1:09 PM

It was Iturbe because he was abusing their players on rebounds and screens. He had kind of that nastiness to his game that Europeans do and Dean Smith Started barking at him for playing dirty. Barnes was not pleased.

Yes, it was Bruce...Dean was "coaching" him to stop pulling

Feb 10, 2019, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Agreed, and wasn’t it Dean’s mouthing at Harder that set Barnes off ]

and holding during screens and Rick told him not to talk to our players and Deans replied he didn't know we had any players and that set Rick off

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been closely following & attending Clemson basketball

Feb 10, 2019, 12:07 PM

for well over 60 years, have attended about 15 ACC Tournaments going as far back as 1975, been a hardcore ACC basketball fan for equally as long and fortunate enough to have seen games at all of the original ACC members' coliseums (still haven't been to Syracuse, ND, Louisville or Miami)---in some cases, more than one gym. Have seen a ton of basketball talent roll through the conference over the decades.

That night in Littlejohn when Barnes challenged Deano to a fistfight at center court was without question the greatest Clemson basketball moment in my lifetime. Rick was expressing the sentiment of every Clemson fan (and a BUNCH of others) who have endured decades of one-sided, biased, officiating and especially the almost dictatorial attitude and behavior of Coach Smith.

I don't know how many young Tiger fans are aware that many years ago, every ACC basketball coach could submit a "blackball list" of three conference officials to the ACC office who, under most circumstances, would be assigned other games to work. EVERY ACC ref bent over backwards to stay on Smith's good side because of the number of great Christmas tournaments, exhibitions etc, that unc was involved in put extra money and travel tix in the refs pockets.

So, the average Clemson fan felt great vindication when Barnes slammed his sportscoat down on the floor in a physical challenge to Smith....and I suppose that it also drew those same fans closer to Barnes so that when he said those stupid things about the local education system upon departing for Austin they felt a bit betrayed. I think Clemson would've paid Barnes whatever he sought to have kept him in Tigertown and would've agreed to any capital improvements within reason.

Anyhow, I was ready to take on the Smith's longtime assistant coach--the elderly Bill Guthridge--whenever the fisticuffs began....amazingly, no Clemson fans were arrested that evening. And fortunately it was far more huff'n'puffery than action because the Conference commissioner would have had to issue suspensions to coaches and players rather than inviting Smith and Barnes to his Greensboro home to "smooth things out" had any punches been thrown

BTW, second on my list of all-time greatest Clemson basketball moments was Buckner's last second dunk to defeat unc in the Tournament.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

Re: Been closely following & attending Clemson basketball

Feb 10, 2019, 12:55 PM

The famous Barnes/Smith confrontation happened at the tournament in Greensboro, not in Littlejohn.

Considering I was sitting about 6 rows from the floor

Feb 10, 2019, 1:49 PM

at LJ during the confrontation between Barnes and Smith, I'll have to disagree

Re: Considering I was sitting about 6 rows from the floor

Feb 10, 2019, 3:27 PM

The Littlejohn incident did not happen at center court. Smith lectured Bill Harder on something, Barnes took offense. Barnes called a timeout and walked towards the scorer’s table. Referee Tim Higgins put his hands on up as Barnes approached and said “no, no, no...we’re not doing this now.” Barnes agreed but confronted Smith after the game off the court in the way to the tunnel.

(The above information from John Feinstein’s book “A March to Madness: A View from the Floor in the Atlantic Coast Conference”)

So yes, there was an incident at Littlejohn, but not a center court.

The famous one which almost resulted in Barnes taking a swing occurred in 1995 at the ACC tournament in Greensboro.

i don't remember the ACC tournament one, i'll have to look

Feb 11, 2019, 10:21 AM

that up.

The littlejohn one is the one we always see when Dean Snaps at Rick at the scorers table. and then all h3ll about broke loose. I remember bill harder slinging rasheed wallace around on a wide open layup and in that game among other fouls...it was great. I wasn't there to hear dean smith yelling at our players so from the TV it just looked like we started head hunting. I was all for it though. That UNC crowd was and is about as pompous as it gets. I'll pull for DUKE all day over UNC.

Re: Been closely following & attending Clemson basketball

Feb 10, 2019, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Been closely following & attending Clemson basketball ]

They got into it twice, bud. The gent is correct. One of them happened in LittleJohn.

No ... it did not. It happened in Littlejohn.***

Feb 10, 2019, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Been closely following & attending Clemson basketball ]

Barnes got right up in Dean Smith's face at mid court, in front of the scorer's table and pointedly told him to keep his mouth shut because Smith had been shouting admonitions at Clemson players including Iker Iturbe. It was the same night that Bill Harder yelled "F You Smith" from the court at Dean.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The Dunk" was on my wedding night. Only old-time ACCers can truly understand what it all meant.***

Feb 10, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Been closely following & attending Clemson basketball ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen

Feb 10, 2019, 6:03 PM [ in reply to Been closely following & attending Clemson basketball ]

and Amen!

Feb 10, 2019, 1:16 PM

I have seen dozens of coaches fired by Clemson. Mr Barnes left on his own. He is the only one I recall trashing our school and state on the way out the door. He is not a “Clemson Man” .

Feb 10, 2019, 1:34 PM

I've been closely following Clemson sports for over fifty years. I can't come up with "dozens" of coaches that have been fired including all sports.

Interesting interview with CRB about “the incident”...

Feb 10, 2019, 1:20 PM

https://youtu.be/Mae_MPnbA58

Amen. Until Dabo arguably our best ever coach in any sport.***

Feb 10, 2019, 1:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Ibrahim deserves strong consideration as well.***

Feb 10, 2019, 1:51 PM

He does have two nattys!***

Feb 10, 2019, 1:55 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tates Locke - Greensboro News & Record

Feb 10, 2019, 3:40 PM

Tates Locke is still crying foul.

Locke coached Clemson for five seasons in the early '70s, and he hasn't stopped harping about the officiating since.

``They were phantom calls,' said Locke when remembering Clemson's 61-60 defeat on Feb. 2, 1974.

Locke was never happy about what he perceived as officiating favorable to Dean Smith and the Tar Heels. In the previous season, Locke had pulled his players from the floor in the closing seconds of an 84-69 loss to UNC in the North-South Doubleheader in Charlotte.

On this night, however, the shooting of Van Gregg (20 points) and the fierce inside presence of mammoth freshman Tree Rollins had the Tigers poised to steal victory. Clemson led by as many as six in the second half.

But according to Locke, Rollins and many less partial observers, the officials got in Clemson's way.

Four significant calls took the ball out of the Tigers' hands and led directly to Tar Heel baskets. The refs whistled Clemson's sure-handed guard Jo Jo Bethea for palming and a double dribble and twice called three-second violations - once while the Tigers were still in the backcourt.

``You can't have but one count going on at a time,' says Locke.

Says Rollins, who finished with 15 points and seven rebounds: ``It was definitely a home-court advantage. Who knows what the officials were thinking? They were certainly questionable calls.'

Carolina took advantage, finally taking the lead at 57-56 on two Bobby Jones free throws with 2:19 remaining.

UNC still led 59-58 with 18 seconds left and guard Ray Harrison set to shoot one-and-one free throws. Harrison missed, but Jones tapped the rebound out to Darrell Elston. Nine seconds later, Elston drained two free throws, leaving Rollins' tap-in at the buzzer a moot point.

After the game, Locke voiced his complaints about official John Russell: ``This game was ours, no doubt. But the same official took us out of it just like he did at Clemson.'

Locke brought his Tigers back the next year and nearly won it again. This time Rollins, Stan Rome and sensational freshman Skip Wise - who scored 25 - left as 74-72 losers.

This time the Tigers couldn't complain about the officiating, only their own pathetic attempts to take advantage of it. Clemson made only 14 of 32 free-throw attempts.

The Tigers let a five-point halftime lead slip away, and UNC tried to hold onto a 70-68 lead with 5:14 remaining by dropping back into its fabled ``four corners.'

The gambit failed, as a Rollins block and a Wise layup gave Clemson a one-point lead with 2:19 left. Rollins missed two free throws that could have extended the lead with 1:45 to play and Rome failed on the front of a bonus chance one possession later.

Trailing 72-71, UNC turned to Walter Davis, who had been stuffed by Rollins on two previous shot attempts. Davis made a move to the left baseline to get away from Tree, then swished a 20-footer over 6-6 Wayne Croft with 15 seconds left.

``The Greyhound came through for them that night,' said Rollins.

Says Locke: ``Davis made one that was just remarkable.'

Clemson's last chance ended when Rome charged into Mitch Kupchak. John Kuester sank one of two foul shots for the final margin.

Locke, who currently scouts for the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers, left after that season and can only wonder what Bill Foster might have been able to do with a full complement of returning stars.

Wise, the first freshman to make first-team All-ACC, only lived up to half his name. He skipped out to the pros.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

ACC officials made it clear to Barnes that he would never

Feb 10, 2019, 3:59 PM

be successful at Clemson with THE FOUL GAME at loser hill. ACC record 41 fouls were called in an 88-79 loss that ended with just four players on the court for the Tigers. ACC officiating made it clear that night that they were for dean smith and against him. It was time to go.

Feb 10, 2019, 5:25 PM

Rick's wife was going to divorce him if he didn't leave Clemson. And my dislike goes back to a comment he made before he left about the Clemson/Pickens county school system.

Feb 10, 2019, 9:54 PM

The comment made about the school was absolutely correct and ended up getting a new elementary school for Clemson to replace the Dilapidated building they were in.

Rick Barnes is the best coach Clemson has had

Feb 10, 2019, 6:20 PM

since Edward "Jiggs" Donahue.

Feb 10, 2019, 8:14 PM

heh...OP, you must have seen Rick yesterday when they showed him on the Tenn sidelines after our game which got you reminiscing as well. I did a double-take when I saw him looking like the Crypt Keeper there since I haven't kept up with college basketball outside of our games and hadn't seen him in a decade or two. Man, I know it's been a good while since I was in school (while he was coaching), but he sure seems to have aged quite a bit more physically than I was expecting.

Replies: 39
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic