Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Out coached, bottom line
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Out coached, bottom line

Jan 14, 2020, 9:13 AM

We had the run between the tackles all night. That accomplished 2 things - 6 yards a carry, staying ahead of the sticks, and keeping that potent offense on the sideline. For whatever reason the last 2 years, Coach Elliott will not lean into the running game. We abandoned the run on the second drive in the 3rd quarter. We were only down 3, run ETN. This was ETN’s team. Lawrence was off all night and the receivers weren’t much better, and we were averaging huge yards per carry... so throw every down?

Look, Burrow performed at a superhuman level, so credit to LSU. But they were not the tougher team in the trenches. We had more rushing yards (until garbage time) and more sacks. Their air attack killed us. Even when their guys were covered, they were dropping dimes. Elliott’s answer? Match the strategy. That is the reason we lost. I would love to go back to the 2nd series in the 3rd quarter and replay the game leaning on ETN.

I recall the Orange Bowl vs Ohio State. We leaned on Watkins because he was the best player. Screw balance, just do what is needed to win.

Overall, great season, though! Considering many thought it was a rebuilding year, 14-1 and #2 in the country is a great finish. Book your trip to Miami now. We will be back in the Natty, possibly against tOSU. Most of this team is back and we have instant impact freshmen in that #1 class. The future is bright. Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Out coached, bottom line

Jan 14, 2020, 9:15 AM

What is so hard about believing that LSU just was the better team with a senior QB?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

6 yards per carry and only 15 attempts by ETN

Jan 14, 2020, 9:19 AM

For starters.

No doubt LSU was the better team last night. Coaching had a lot to do with that. Ours didn’t adapt to game conditions. No question that their QB and WRs outplayed ours, but our running game was gashing them. Why abandon it?

Jan 14, 2020, 9:17 AM

OUT PLAYED
BOTTOM LINE PART II

Jan 14, 2020, 9:19 AM

Give it up. LSU has more skilled players than any team in years and Burrow set records that may never be broken. Don't sound like Saban.

Jan 14, 2020, 9:20 AM

I am not even going to read your drivel!! Just shut up and leave!!

Jan 14, 2020, 9:21 AM

LSU's Jimmy's were better than our Joes last night period

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their “Jimmy’s” were better than our TLs and WRs

Jan 14, 2020, 9:22 AM

But they had no answer for our ETN. Pray tell, why did we abandon the run down 3?

Jan 14, 2020, 9:26 AM

Agreed. The game plan needed to be more committed to RUN, limit possessions and shorten the game. It was no secret that LSU's QB and receivers were kind of good. The defense played a solid game.

Jan 14, 2020, 9:27 AM

TL overshooting was not Elliot's fault... a problem could not adjust for but that is the game. Even ETN was hit for no/loss on a couple of runs that set up long passing situations. Dropped passes and just off timing was the reality last night.

If you have a all-time great player, you keep going back to him. Unfortunately, TL was making unforced errors and just could not settle down.

It looked like road-game timing issues (makes sense) and we were outplayed. The D held up as long it could just with the O misfiring, it wasn't our night.

Who calls the game?

Jan 14, 2020, 9:33 AM

When the game plan isn’t working or individuals aren’t executing. How many overthrows did TL have? At least 10. The game was in control until we abandoned the run. Who did that? Either Elliott or Dabo.

Would we have won? Who knows, but it would have been the smarter move to try then try to beat them at the passing game.

With our QB and WRs executing at their full potential we should have been able to match them. However, it was clear to see our QB and WRs were not executing anywhere near full potential.

Re: Who calls the game?

Jan 14, 2020, 9:40 AM

When we lost control of the game 2nd qtr... we were still using ETN heavily...

ETN, 1 and 10 - no gain
ETN, 12 yards + face mask
ETN, Reception for 1 yard.
Punt

ETN reception 14 yard
ETN rush for a loss of two
punt

And then LSU goes up 28-17.

We were trying to feed both TL and ETN to get them going but it just wasn't the case.

WHEN our QB executes to potential we obliterate people. Last night was a bad night for TL. Nothing a playcaller can do about drops and overthrows.

That game was certainly not in our "control" at any point

Jan 14, 2020, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Who calls the game? ]

beyond the middle of the third quarter. You must have been watching a completely different game than me. What I saw is their defense starting to crash down on ETN, catching him for losses on several occasions, and TL misfiring badly while trying to makeup those yards. You could have flipped offensive coordinators last night, and with TL misfiring like he admittedly was, it would not have mattered. Just accept that the better team won, it won't make you any less of a fan or a man. Get over it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reread the original post

Jan 14, 2020, 9:49 AM

No one said the game was in control past the middle of the 3rd quarter. In fact, I called our second drive of the 3rd as the turning point.

The team that deserved to win won, but I maintain that coaching played a huge roll, as did TL being off. Ever think to try Brice? That would have helped determine if it were LSU’s play impacting TL or something unique to TL.

Yeah, yeah, I get it “no need to create a QB controversy,” but when it’s clear you are going to lose you have 2 choice- keep doing what you are doing or try something else. I think we should have tried something else.

Did no one else think a trick play to start the game sent the wrong message? Seemed desperate to me.

We have no Plan B for when our QB has a bad game

Jan 14, 2020, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Who calls the game? ]

LSU probably doesn't either. That's the winner-take-all gamble on the offense we, and especially LSU runs. When your QB is on the mark, you're unbeatable. When he's off, it's not like you practice against anything else. HINT.

Before the game I thought ETN would have a huge night. I thought he would be the difference maker in the game. LSU has a pass-happy offense. Their defense practices against that same pass-happy offense. They WILL be prone to the running game, if well executed. We didn't even try and execute it. Run the ball, control the clock, limit their drives ad time on the field. Totally opposite of "who we are" I guess. But sometimes you get the best success being who you aren't. ;)

Problem is we too have a pass happy offense, and our defense practices against our pass happy offense. So it's a game of QB's and WR's against each other.

Not sure we could have won that game last night no matter what. But I saw a QB crack and fold under the pressure of a system that relies TOTALLY on him having a good day. If things get bad, that system doubles down the pressure on him, instead of letting a RB carry the ball and let him regain his composure. It was the sorriest I've felt for a Clemson player in a long time. A well coached team lets the team help each other out. ETN wasn't given a proper chance to help TL out last night. And that was our coaches fault.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We have no Plan B for when our QB has a bad game

Jan 14, 2020, 11:26 AM

I agree with you there.

I don't think TL cracked. We would have seen INTs etc then.

I think we saw a historically bad game for TL. He tied the most overthrows in a game for this season. Both short and long. I bet we could go through his HS tape and future NFL and never see that again. But hey, it happens and is part of the sport. It stink.

ETN was used, but was also inconsistent. A few times we faced longer passing down situations due to a negative to little gain run/pass. I don't think that he could pull a '17 Cuse game then.

But then this is hind-sight. If TL settled down in the 3rd it would have been moot. Do you stop using the best available player or do you keep letting him (hopefully) find a way.

I fell bad for him as well as you can see him trying to take the weight and carry us to a win when it just was not his night.

Re: We have no Plan B for when our QB has a bad game

Jan 14, 2020, 11:49 AM [ in reply to We have no Plan B for when our QB has a bad game ]

Well said and agree. We made 1 player bigger than the team, when it was not necessary.

Jan 14, 2020, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Out coached, bottom line ]

Agree. but most of the night our receivers were not getting open like LSU's were. And Trevor couldn't throw in the tight windows last night for some reason last night.

Ever heard of an RPO?

Jan 14, 2020, 9:33 AM

Because a ton of our running plays are options off of that. To think we could have just lined up and run the ball down their throat is naive. Did you not notice how many short throws missed off the RPO last night. He made the right reads, just missed the throwd

You are proving my point

Jan 14, 2020, 9:40 AM

Power, draw, counter, sweep- it was there all night. I was shocked how well we ran between the tackles, but more shocking was how we didn’t stick to what was working and were trying to force the things that weren’t.

Jan 14, 2020, 9:44 AM

POTY!!

Jan 14, 2020, 10:38 AM

How you don’t ride the best statical back in Clemson history is beyond me. Etienne should’ve had at least 25 carries or more. He was on the verge When we cut it to 28-25, we had a chance to put it in Travis’ hands and let him take us home.

my thoughts exactly. I was wondering if tony was calling

Jan 14, 2020, 11:09 AM

These last 2 games by himself. We couldn’t get any rhythm throwing. I was so frustrated in the 3rd quarter we didn’t turn the game into the ETN show.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure he had a greater role. These two games were

Jan 14, 2020, 11:11 AM

probably an experiment for the new OC/passing game coordinator combo. Hopefully Streeter has the same impact on Clemson next season as Brady had on Burrow

Jan 14, 2020, 11:27 AM

Completely disagree. For 2.5 quarters our coaching staff did a phenomenal job. Losing Skowlski and Trevor/receivers going cold cost us the game.

We got beaten by a good team that played better.

Jan 14, 2020, 11:35 AM

Looking back and criticizing this or that does not console nor does it remedy. This 'I must have someone to blame it on,' attitude is adolescent and serves no purpose.

Just grieve and get it over with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 12:01 PM

I'm sure that Elliot would love to roll things back to the 2nd drive in the 3rd quarter too. It is a lot easier to say we should have done something, when you take what we did off the table.

Teams adjust to what you are doing, and you try to adjust to their adjustments. Coach Elliot probably tried to stay a step ahead and just over did it. It happens and he would love to have a second chance as much as anyone.

Jan 14, 2020, 12:44 PM

Disagree. Our corners were outplayed by their WR's and their QB played better. Simple as that.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic