Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Am I the only one concerned about the QB situation?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Am I the only one concerned about the QB situation?

May 24, 2017, 2:38 AM

When I watch the Spring Game, I cannot help but to feel uneasy about our QB situation. So far, I've watched the Spring Game 9 times. I took comparison notes expressly for the QB position. From a technique standpoint it's almost neck and neck with Zerrick Cooper and Hunter Johnson. Israel is just not athletic enough to beat either of those two out. However, I've yet to see Bryant throw an accurate pass beyond 15 yards. I would also like to add, Hunter Johnson had horrible snaps from the center for most of his time out on the field. He still managed to launch accurate deep balls down field. He also looked poised and able to read zones and check downs quickly. He and Cooper have the same level of quick release and IQ of reading a defense but Johnson appears to have more arm strength than Cooper.

My greatest fear of this season is that Coach Swinney decides to continue to start Kelly Bryant when it's obvious that one of the lower class men is more talented. Sort of a Deja Vu from 2014, when it was obvious that a True Freshman was more talented and equipped for our program than Cole Stoudt. Cole Stoudt did redeem himself in the bowl game against Oklahoma, but that credit belongs to Coach Streeter who worked with him tirelessly until the bowl game. However, let's not forget that single handed gave us a loss against GT with two back to back pick 6 pass plays. On Watson's very first play he threaded a needle to Charone Peak who was covered by two defenders. It was obvious to God and everyone that Watson should have been the starter for us. I'm not saying that I don't trust Coach Swinney in most all matters pertaining to Clemson Football, but in my opinion he puts loyalty before success. Not that it's a bad thing, but he's hired to win games not give people 200 chances to lose a game for us. Imagine had Watson stayed healthy and started every game. You have to figure that we would have beaten UGA, GT, and FSU with ease. Nope, Coach Swinney kept Watson on the bench while we all watched a train wreck in slow motion. I almost believe we could have won a National Title that year because our defense was Number 1.

Anyone else share my view in this assessment?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Re: Am I the only one concerned about the QB situation?

May 24, 2017, 3:29 AM

TU for Chesty and the Frozen Chosen

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We for sure lose 3 games with K Bryant at QB.

May 24, 2017, 4:53 AM

Maybe he is the best option though.

Re: We for sure lose 3 games with K Bryant at QB.

May 24, 2017, 5:21 AM

We for sure lose 3 games with Bryant? LOL

Man, it's May, and you can review the spring game a 1000 times and you still have no say so about who starts and who doesn't. Bryant would most likely start on any other ACC team not named Louisville or FSU simply because they return their starters. You can't go by the spring game. Not a single person on this entire tnet board has the ability or knowledge to know who will start and who won't.

Whoever starts will have a ton of talent around him and all he has to do is get the ball to the playmakers. Bryant can make things happen with his feet. He got a finger injury on his throwing hand the first day of the spring game. I think that kind of had an effect on his throwing.

Sit back and relax, and layoff the "we will for sure lose 3 games with Bryant" comments. The tigers are loaded everywhere. And you're right, Coach Swinney is there to win games, and he has won 10+ each of the last 6 seasons without your input. Maybe you should go to the signing day BBQ next year, approach him, and give him all your thoughts on what he is doing wrong. I will be there to record his reaction. ;)

Message was edited by: fencebusters®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post.*****

May 24, 2017, 5:25 AM

Re: We for sure lose 3 games with K Bryant at QB.

May 24, 2017, 7:31 AM [ in reply to Re: We for sure lose 3 games with K Bryant at QB. ]

Agreed! It's only summer so a lot can happen between now and then. I have faith in Dabo and staff.

May 24, 2017, 5:18 AM

You are also assuming Dabo is the all seeing all knowing leader here. Surely Tony, Jeff and Brandon have no say in this.

why don't we start Feaster at RB? Because he cannot block and has not fully grasped his duty in the offense.

There are a lot of things which go into being a QB. Is KB our future? No he isn't. But until ZC or Hunter pull things together, we need someone to handle the offense. Maybe ZC is having difficulties reading defenses. Hunter still doesn't know the playbook. So the choices are, go with someone who can manage an offense, be quality in short to medium throws and not make poor choices. But your down field game will be off.

Or take two other guys who have more talent throwing the ball but will make lapses in judgement and identification of the correct calls.

Who can make the defensive calls and be a leader on the field. Yes it's easy to make 2014 comparisons, but DW4 was next level. We don't have next level sitting on the bench (yet). That'll come next year.

So at the end of the day, am i worried about the QB situation? Yes i am. But i also know that KB is our best choice at the position for right now. I have confidence that he will manage the game and give us the best chance for our defense to win games for us. I think ZC and Hunter will make too many initial mistakes which will put us in poor positions.

May 24, 2017, 7:38 AM

This makes too much sense. Good post.

I share your concern. Remember KB had a hurt thumb

May 24, 2017, 7:19 AM

In that game

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As long as we Have Brandon Streeter as our

May 24, 2017, 7:57 AM

QB coach we will be fine. Please refer to Cole Stout Ok game.

May 24, 2017, 8:02 AM

you have watched the spring game 9 times huh. where they got you locked up. they must not have cable there. lol

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We go full Bama this year.

May 24, 2017, 8:02 AM

Win with inexperienced QB play

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: We go full Bama this year.

May 24, 2017, 6:46 PM

Lol fans need to follow suit. Playoff or bust

I'm concerned, but on account of the spring game

May 24, 2017, 8:43 AM

You can't take any meaningful conclusions from our spring game format. Don't drive yourself crazy any longer.

My concern is replacing a star like DW. Fact is, you can't. Doesn't mean we can't Taylor the offense to the QB who gets the start, however. And we could wind up being more than adequate on O.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

You've watched the spring game NINE times?

May 24, 2017, 8:47 AM

Do you not have a job or a life or something?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

commented on plenty before

May 24, 2017, 9:11 AM

Basically the "Stoudt" philosophy that was used, to our demise. Then of course the DWat lights came on. There's really no way any coaches can look into a "real bullets flying" crystal ball and know for sure who is the best until actual game conditions UNDER PRESSURE. We'd love for them to have this amazing discernment, but they don't - it's part of the mystery and the fun.

I disagree on Israel

May 24, 2017, 9:16 AM

He is very accurate ... if the O-line is solid, he shouldn't have to run around too much.

I ask myself, which is the better group .. Clemson WR or Clemson RB ?

The answer means we need a QB that can throw an accurate forward pass.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2017, 11:11 AM

I love how so many Clemson "fans" are ready to dismiss a kid before even giving him a chance.

Pathetic.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

May 24, 2017, 11:20 AM

Spring game performances are about as significant as the halftime score of a college football game.

Spring game performances are about as significant as preseason college football rankings.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

You watched the spring game 9 times?

May 24, 2017, 11:22 AM

I'm impressed.

May 24, 2017, 12:33 PM

In the spring game the squads were split evenly. That wasn't a fair judge of Bryant's talent. According to his own qb coach, Bryant needs to become more of a pocket passer and not think run first when pressure comes his way. Opposing defensive coaches will pick up Kelly's tendencies and use it against him. I hope Streeter can change Bryant's tendencies. Johnson can do both but is young. Cooper and Israel are passers with limited running skills. Brice is the wild card. We are not Alabama in this sense. We don't have the power backs to support a running game . The qb has to be a playmaker. The strength of this team is the wide receivers. They need a reliable passer to get the ball downfield. The Auburn game will be the real test for our starting qb. May the qb who can execute our offense win. I have faith that the coaches will make the right choice.

May 24, 2017, 12:50 PM

We could have won it all that year if Watson starts, I agree

I hope and pray that I am worng, but I tend to agree at this

May 24, 2017, 12:56 PM

point in time. If I had to bet my house, I would say Johnson is starting by the Va. Tech game.

Cooper is going to win the QB1 eventually...

May 24, 2017, 6:37 PM

I don't see Johnson making it past him or KB this season.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cooper is going to win the QB1 eventually...

May 24, 2017, 7:06 PM

I could see that. Cooper is said to be a better passer but a decent runner.

Muschamp is highly concerned.***

May 24, 2017, 6:38 PM

May 24, 2017, 7:02 PM

KB broke a finger on his throwing hand on the first play of the game. Maybe that hurt his ability to throw the football more accurately.

May 24, 2017, 7:31 PM

Nope you are not alone.
But not because of Spring Game, it should be because we have 3 brand new inexperienced, untested QBs.

But we should have one helluva Defense.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic