Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Im sick of hearing people blame our defensive woes on talent
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

Im sick of hearing people blame our defensive woes on talent

Sep 23, 2012, 11:15 AM

or lack there of.

We're 93 in total D and 68 in scoring D. Since points is what really matters, we'll use that stat here. We've played FSU, thats it. Auburn is terrible on offense and we played a mid major and FCS school at home. Again, we're 68 in scoring D. Are you people suggesting there are 67 other schools with more talent than us on D? I dont believe that at all.

The D's problem is coaching. I remember just 7 short years ago in 2005 (Vics first year) when we were littered with 2 and 3 stars and finished with a top-25 D. He had ONE top-25 class to work with and they were true FR. I was on that team and I can remember Vic being incredibly frustrated with his players. He wanted to run a more aggresive set than he did, but didnt have the talent he needed to do it so he adapted and ran strictly zone coverage. That's coaching. He adapted to his players and their strengths. And before you complain about Vic, get your facts straight. His Ds finished top-25 in every major D category every year he was here. That was 4 times. Before him, that only happened ONCE in Clemson history. His last two years we had a top-10 D nationally.

I see a little variation, but for the most part, Venables is trying to run the same crap that didnt work under Steele. He needs to find something that these players can do right.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Im sick of hearing people blame our defensive woes on talent

Sep 23, 2012, 11:17 AM

So let me get this straight. If you have a group of kids who can't read because their last teacher sucked, if they can't read a quarter of the way through the next fall it's the new teacher's fault?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didnt seem to affect Chad last year when he inhereted...

Sep 23, 2012, 11:20 AM

a dismal Napier offense. No difference here with Venables inhereting a terribel Steele D.

Yeah Napier couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag with a

Sep 23, 2012, 11:22 AM

knife.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Didnt seem to affect Chad last year when he inhereted...

Sep 23, 2012, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Didnt seem to affect Chad last year when he inhereted... ]

Big difference. Morris inherited fantastic players and Sammy Watkins. BV doesn't have that luxury right now. for a former Clemson player you sure sound like an idiot right now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So Venables DOESNT have just as many 5* starting on D...

Sep 23, 2012, 11:34 AM

as the offense does? Your argument is that we ONLY have six 4* and a 5* starting on D. Please enlighten me on how Venables is short of talent on that side of the ball. I understand that stars dont mean everything bc sometimes they can rated wrong, but you cant miss on that many recruits.

Those guys aren't making plays

Sep 23, 2012, 11:38 AM

Venables can't go out there and play. That is what makes you a good player. You just have to be able to beat the guy in front of you.

exactly who was 5* on D except Anthony?

Sep 23, 2012, 11:40 AM [ in reply to So Venables DOESNT have just as many 5* starting on D... ]

and don't say Steward, he should be redshirting given the injury. Who on the D line or in the secondary is a 5*?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just named one 5* and its Anthony. I didnt count Steward

Sep 23, 2012, 11:45 AM

bc Im not sure his knee is well enough to really help us right now.

Travis Blanks 5 star, Corey Crawford 4 star, Tavaris Barnes

Sep 23, 2012, 11:49 AM [ in reply to exactly who was 5* on D except Anthony? ]

4 star

Im using the Rivals rating. Blanks was a high 4* on that

Sep 23, 2012, 11:51 AM

service. I think he was a 5* on ESPN though.

freshman and sophomores***

Sep 23, 2012, 11:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Im using the Rivals rating. Blanks was a high 4* on that

Sep 23, 2012, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Im using the Rivals rating. Blanks was a high 4* on that ]

ESPN has not got a clue about anything!!

Actually, when they rank the classes after seeing what they

Sep 23, 2012, 12:44 PM

do in college, ESPN turns out to be the most accurate of the services. I just use Rivals on here bc everyone else seems to.

Re: I looks like recruiting gurus gave them too many stars***

Sep 23, 2012, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Travis Blanks 5 star, Corey Crawford 4 star, Tavaris Barnes ]

Re: So Venables DOESNT have just as many 5* starting on D...

Sep 23, 2012, 11:40 AM [ in reply to So Venables DOESNT have just as many 5* starting on D... ]

Those guys are RS FR, FR and SO!!!!! The experienced guys are not 4 and 5 stars. It takes time. There's a reason you're talking on a message board and not still on the football field.

Four of our 4* are SRs, the other 2 are RS SOs, guys with

Sep 23, 2012, 11:44 AM

three years of college under their belts. How much experience should they have?

Recruiting stars don't mean ####***

Sep 23, 2012, 11:46 AM

In some cases, but you cant miss on that many highly touted

Sep 23, 2012, 11:47 AM

kids. At some point you have to look at this staff and realize they arent developing these guys at all.

At some point the players have to make plays

Sep 23, 2012, 11:50 AM

I don't care who is coaching you. If you can't beat the guy in front of you its on you not anybody else.

Re: In some cases, but you cant miss on that many highly touted

Sep 23, 2012, 11:51 AM [ in reply to In some cases, but you cant miss on that many highly touted ]

You're blaming development on BV who has been here for 4 freaking games. He has Steele's development to work with. Steele's fundamentals sucked and it is still showing. Give it time. You're being ridiculous.

I blame development on the STAFF. It's Venables job to...

Sep 23, 2012, 11:53 AM

find a scheme that these guys can run. Venable's is only responsible for the LB play bc thats what he coaches.

Re: I blame development on the STAFF. It's Venables job to...

Sep 23, 2012, 11:56 AM

How many times did you see our guys make contact or corner a ball carrier only to get beat? Alllll nightttt longgggg

Thats not scheme. Scheme is working if you have guys gettIng to the ball carrier. If a guy gets beat or doesn't bring them down that's talent and strength issues as well as fundamentals. Not scheme.

In the first half they killed us with sweeps bc of our...

Sep 23, 2012, 12:02 PM

alignment. In then second half we went with more three man fronts to get a little more speed on the field to stop the sweeps. That allowed them to beat us up inside. On the sweeps, we're NEVER outside to force them back in. NEVER. Thats FB 101. And its no matter who we put on the field. Its the same broken assignments. I find it hard to believe we've got an entire first and second team of guys who just dont listen to what the coach tells them to do. I will agree with you though that we have a ton of guys that cant tackle. But that comes from practicing fundamentals. Doesnt look like theyve done that since HS.

Re: Didnt seem to affect Chad last year when he inhereted...

Sep 23, 2012, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Didnt seem to affect Chad last year when he inhereted... ]

Agree!!! We have not had a lot of D-talent added. We have a few players playing descent but they do not have that killer instinct. We are playing to safe.

We dont have a defensive tackle on the roster

Sep 23, 2012, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Didnt seem to affect Chad last year when he inhereted... ]

that would scare anyone right now. Sad. It all starts there man.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We dont have a defensive tackle on the roster

Sep 23, 2012, 12:55 PM

I agree. Our D-line has no push to them. I watched the game again this morning and they never get off on the snap.

you misunderstood his post, ie if you have a bunch of people

Sep 23, 2012, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Im sick of hearing people blame our defensive woes on talent ]

who cannot read, you teach them to dig ditches.

The world needs ditch diggers too.

just sayin

more than likely a combo of the 2***

Sep 23, 2012, 11:19 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: more than likely a combo of the 2***

Sep 23, 2012, 12:36 PM

its definitely a combination. i wouldnt say venables has the perfect scheme but player devekopment isnt his fault. at least not yet. there are guys on the clemson defense that have some bad habits and venables hasnt been around long enough to fix all that. a 2 or 3 star with good technique is better than a 4 star with bad technique. all these guts are athletes. there is very little difference in a 2 or 4 star recruit. usually its some measurable like a 40 speed or an inch of height. recruiting stars are not guarentees. steele let the fundamentals get sloppy. i would think venables is spending practice time to correct those things but i dont know. if he isnt, thats his fault. still the players have to be sonewhat accountable for their own development. scheme is not the only problem.

and the 3 and outs on offense don't concern you? How does

Sep 23, 2012, 11:21 AM

the offense get a pass? It was a special teams play and lack of offensive production that turned the game.

The offense put up 37 points. When you put up 37 points...

Sep 23, 2012, 11:23 AM

you should win.

Our D only gave up 14 points until that kick off return

Sep 23, 2012, 11:27 AM

in the 3rd quarter. Granted, we were lucky that FSU missed two field goals, but the D wasn't costing us the game until the botched kick off coverage. The 3 or 4 in a row three and outs really cost us.

The D got lucky that FSU missed out on some wide open...

Sep 23, 2012, 11:37 AM

passes

It was 31-21 when we gave up the KO return

Sep 23, 2012, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Our D only gave up 14 points until that kick off return ]

We were up 28-14 and had FSU 3rd and long, and they reeled off a big gain.

That's when the defense failed.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.cutigers.com/2009/football/virginia/slides/_KWB7614a.jpg

The D had given up 21. That kick return came after we...

Sep 23, 2012, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Our D only gave up 14 points until that kick off return ]

kicked the FG to go back up 31-21. Our offense really did stall. Thats why you build around D bc they have the potential to ALWAYS be consistent. The D was folding before we started going 3 and out. And once we went three and out the first time, the D folded. Its not like it took three 3 and outs in a row before our D got tired and broke. They were already broken. The lack of offense the second half was the turning point of the game, but its still noe xcuse for how bad the D played.

and we haven't recruited as well on defense, so how is that

Sep 23, 2012, 11:47 AM

Venebles fault?

Like I said, we're 68 in scoring D. So there are 67 schools

Sep 23, 2012, 11:50 AM

that have out-recruited us on that side of the ball? UAB's one of them. Theyve played USuC and Ohio St and yet theyre still better on D then we are. Kent St, N Texas, W Mich, Kansas, Tulsa... need I go on?

your right... bring back Vic Koenning, I'm sure UNC would

Sep 23, 2012, 12:01 PM

give him to us for free.

Haha... Vic doesnt call the defensive plays on that team...

Sep 23, 2012, 12:03 PM

I guess you didnt notice that though before your uneducated shot at Vic.

I guess UNC doesn't think he should call the plays either***

Sep 23, 2012, 12:05 PM

They already has a DC when Vic became available. They asked

Sep 23, 2012, 12:09 PM

him to come on though so he could instill some of his zone coverage. Go look at how much he improved KSTs D in his first year there, then look at what he did at Ill. He had a top-10 D at Ill!!! Look at what he did here. Im sorry you dont know good coaching when you see it.

I shouldn't have said anything against Koenning.

Sep 23, 2012, 12:18 PM

I don't disagree that he is a good coach. I wasn't one of the people on this board calling for his head. I am not calling for Venebles either, it is way to early to judge him.

I simply think the offense should not get a pass for last night. Win as a team, lose as a team. Coaches can only do so much. FSU has out recruitted us nearly every year. I didn't expect to beat them in Tally without being perfect.

Im not complaining about the game, or trying to point...

Sep 23, 2012, 12:49 PM

fingers at one unit as to why we lost it. Years when we play in Tally and FSU is really good, I can live with not winning the division as long as we beat USuC. But had we been beat 49-0 or won 52-49, the D still played awful and thats what Im pointing out. Last year proved that not having a D will eventually bite you in the butt no matter how good your offense plays. Offenses tend to go into a funk at times, but defense should never. I dont mind that we lost, I just dont like the way that we lost, giving up all those points was just awful.

When we were up 14pts, the D allowed FSU to break a huge run

Sep 23, 2012, 11:27 AM [ in reply to and the 3 and outs on offense don't concern you? How does ]

and get down to the 10. They cut it to 7. Even though we kicked that 50 yarder to go back up 10, the game had already turned. The offense was brutal after that FG, but its really not fair to expect them to score everytime when we're at the house of top-5 team. When youre to the place where 37pts isnt enough to win, its the Ds fault.

The D was awful ALL game. Remember that they missed two FGs. And another time in the first half they had a false start that stalled their drive. The only reason FSU didnt rack up points in the first half is bc THEY stopped themselves.

that was special teams kick off coverage - Not D, that

Sep 23, 2012, 11:30 AM

allowed them to get to the 10.

What are you smoking? Our Offense would put up 63 on our D

Sep 23, 2012, 11:34 AM [ in reply to and the 3 and outs on offense don't concern you? How does ]

Nuk would be our best DB if he played both ways. Most of our skill players less Anthony are on Offensive side of ball. And yes Chad is our best coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I respectfully disagree ... Brent Venables has proven his

Sep 23, 2012, 11:29 AM

capability at Oklahoma. He is stuck with mostly deadbeat players and a holdover staff from Dabo and Steele. Still he has accepted full responsibility for our ongoing poor play. Willard and Hawkins/Wright are slow and most DB's are timid, overmatched and afraid to tackle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe Willard save a long touchdown run - he looked fast

Sep 23, 2012, 11:32 AM

to me. He was the only one that was going to catch their RB. We have bigger problems up front and in the secondary.

The RB he ran down weighed 240 !!***

Sep 23, 2012, 11:35 AM

and yet no one but Willard could catch him.***

Sep 23, 2012, 11:44 AM

You got me there !!***

Sep 23, 2012, 11:52 AM

I'm sick of hearing people blame the coaching

Sep 23, 2012, 11:36 AM

Sometimes you just have to take responsibility, line up, and beat the guy in front of you. Coaches can only do so much its not like they're out there teaching those guys the wrong thing.

Sep 23, 2012, 11:39 AM

2005 Defense
Gaines Adams (1st Rounder
Charles Bennett
Cory Groover
Tramaine Bille
Michael Hamlin
Tye Hill (1st Rounder)
Phillip Merling (2nd Rounder)
Darrell Scott
Anthoney Waters
Nick Watkins
Jamal Fudge
A. Clay

This Defense didn't have talent? Those are just off the top of my head. Every single one of those players would start over what we have now with the exception of A.Clay. But he would be better than our second option at MLB (shey). I did like Koening, but he did have quite a bit of talent.

Its called player development. A concept that has slipped

the defensive staff's mind over the last several years. Now that you cant put on Venables bc he hasnt been here long enough to develop.

Re: Its called player development. A concept that has slipped

Sep 23, 2012, 12:39 PM

I am amazed at how smart some people are on here, but yet they didn't coach a day of their lives. Give me a break. Our D-line is our biggest problem. We have to do all sorts of stunts and blitz to get in the backfield. That makes the rest of the D have to cover more field. We need D-tackles and D-ends!!!!

I think a big part is coaching, the guys miss to many tackles, but I also think there was a big talent difference. I can't really remember the 05 team but I do know that there was a lot of nfl talent on those teams , Justin miller Ty hill chris Clemons etc. I just don't see that type of talent anywhere on the d. And it would be great if they could sit back and just run zone, problem is with 0 pass rush and db coverage issues it's a lose lose situation . My 2 cents

Agree, we have too much talent to be this bad.....***

Sep 23, 2012, 11:58 AM

Well, that's what it is. Your last sentence speaks volumes

Sep 23, 2012, 11:59 AM

and sums it up pretty well: "He needs to find something that these players can do right. "

Couldn't agree more - I wish him luck.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Sep 23, 2012, 12:04 PM

Exactly like stop the the pass across the middle and the run in between guard and tackle. Football 101.

I, Phillip, a small boy of twelve, lay exhausted, not knowing if I was sleeping or if I was daydreaming that I was sleeping. Gently I rocked back in forth in my hammock, a hammock woven out of the eyelashes of 1000 deer.

Sep 23, 2012, 12:28 PM

I agree BV needs to find something that the current talent does well, but it isn't from lack of trying.

They went to the 3-4 last night, and it just didn't work. Who knows if it would have been worse if they stayed in their base?

The reality is the 2009 recruiting class is down to 9 seniors. And those 9 aren't really that good. Imagine if we had the typical 20+ seniors, and 3-4 of those extra 11 seniors were good defensive starters that we don't have now. It suddenly becomes a different defensive team (not to mention maybe a starting OL or two).

Unfortunately, we will have to wait until next year.

Go Tigers!

It's ATTITUDE more than anything

Sep 23, 2012, 12:36 PM

...if a player gets beat enough he will begin to believe he can't do it. I'm convinced a HUGE part of this is mental with FITNESS, QUICKNESS and POWER playing a big role as well.

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic