Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We are a Good baseball program. We are not an ELITE yet.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

We are a Good baseball program. We are not an ELITE yet.

Mar 17, 2018, 5:42 PM

And don’t get me wrong- I firmly believe Monte is the man for the job to get us there in the next few years. But the reality is you have to be able to beat teams like what we’re facing this weekend in NC State in order to truly be elite. Unfortunately, we still just don’t have the ability to consistently hit elite pitching and to consistently pitch at an elite level. We’ve shown glimmers of it. But we don’t have that kind of talent and experience up an down the lineup and all throughout starting pitching and the bullpen in the way that programs like Florida, NC State, UNC, Louisville, Texas Tech, Oregon State, and FSU do; to name a few. Until we can consistently beat and win series against these caliber of CBB origrams then we won’t be elite and should not consider ourselves elite...yet. The time is coming, for sure. It may just not be right now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're playing NCST. We should win this series.

Mar 17, 2018, 5:47 PM

ELITE has nothing to do with winning this weekend. Next weekend @ Louisville that is very much the case.

We don’t stack up with State. Have you looked at their

Mar 17, 2018, 5:52 PM

starting lineup? Outside of Beer and Williams it’s no comparison.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NCST will do what they do almost every year...

Mar 17, 2018, 5:56 PM

they'll win some games and make a Regional. That's it. It's not like they're Omaha destined or anything. To suggest that we need to be ELITE to win a home series against NCST isn't accurate.

Re: We're playing NCST. We should win this series.

Mar 17, 2018, 5:56 PM [ in reply to We're playing NCST. We should win this series. ]

maybe ncs is really good. seems a team that has a team batting ave of .340 and the pitching staff they do might be pretty good. we are also very good. it is the acc. every week is a dogfight. hence us being the only sweep last weekend

They are solid top to bottom and make the most of their

Mar 17, 2018, 6:55 PM

Base runners. You’re right. Sitting here behind the screen watching how methodical they are.

Re: We are a Good baseball program. We are not an ELITE yet.

Mar 17, 2018, 5:47 PM

I agree that I don't think we are a title contenter this year but i def see this team in a super and maybe a trip to Omaha this year. Don't think we will make it long in Omaha due to your reasons listed but this team is a very good team. I believe in them having a good season as described above. I see Omaha in the near future for this team might not be this year but very soon. Go Tigers!!

Mar 17, 2018, 5:51 PM

Never said we won’t have a good season. Never claimed we weren’t going to make a Super Regional or go to Omaha. Just exclaimed that we weren’t elite. Good teams can make Super Regionals. Good teams can even make it to Omaha. Elite teams are the ones who year in and year out are hosting Supers and going deep in Omaha. I do think we have a chance to make it Supers this year, and definitely next year. I just know we are not elite yet. We’re not saying different things here, you and I. Just the same thing in different ways.

Mar 17, 2018, 5:55 PM

I never said that you didn't think they would have a good season by making super or further. I was stating how I feel about how I see our season going. I agreed with you that we aren't elite/title contenders then went on to say how I felt about where I see the season going. Feel we might have had a misunderstanding.

Mar 17, 2018, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Re: We are a Good baseball program. We are not an ELITE yet. ]

Sorry, but I don't think they get to Omaha. NO consistency in batting, fielding or pitching. Unless this changes, they will not win a super regional IF they get there.

The approach by just about every single Clemson batter is showing me they don't have a clue about advancing runners. Doing that is what wins consistently!

Agreed, we are not close offensively. After the top half of

Mar 17, 2018, 5:49 PM

our lineup just not much there. Batting averages below .250 in college will not beat elite teams.

Re: Agreed, we are not close offensively. After the top half of

Mar 17, 2018, 5:54 PM

Bottom half of the order is the only thing producing today... if you can call 1 run production. We have 4 hits and 4 BBs. 6-9 in the order have 3 of those hits and 1 of those BBs.

What drives me nuts is when we don't move men around or get them in from 3rd with less than 2 outs. We can score w/o hits if we execute, but we strike out WAY too much. And that's top to bottom. There is no reason for us to be this bad right now with the bats.

Re: Agreed, we are not close offensively. After the top half of

Mar 17, 2018, 6:09 PM

Agreed.

Look at NC St’s team..each and every position in that lineup WILL give you a quality AB...

Some in our lineup don’t even have an approach.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Monte's 3rd year, he and his young men are doing a fine job.

Mar 17, 2018, 6:10 PM

Not to dig too deep, but Monte & staff have made some really nice strides in important areas, Fielding % for one, as Coach Jack's small ball teams struggled some with the leather in his last years.

2013-14 214th
2014-15 238th
2015-16 246th
2016-17 123rd
2017-18 26th

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

A lot of baseball to be played yet this year, the tourneys and beyond, but the arrows seem to be pointing in the right direction.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Monte's 3rd year, he and his young men are doing a fine job.

Mar 17, 2018, 6:24 PM

Facts is what they DON'T want , DSP .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

there are a number of ways to coach baseball

Mar 17, 2018, 7:12 PM

Usually it depends on the kind of talent that you have available . Clemson does not have a lineup loaded with sluggers yet every batter seems to swing for the fences. Apparently coach Lee sees things in this team that haven't surfaced yet. He obviously is not a station to station coach and there is nothing wrong with that .... If you have the right players. If Beer could learn to hit the ball where it's pitched he would become a big time hitter. Trying to pull those outside pitches to right field often ends up in weak pop flies or grounded easily fielded .
As I write this he just hits an easy pop up. Wasted at bat

Yep, we are probably the worse 16-2 team out there.

Mar 17, 2018, 6:50 PM

Those 8 to 10 teams that are 18-0 or better, those are the real elite teams.

??

~JKB

someone shoulda told BC they couldn't beat NCSU 11-3.

Mar 17, 2018, 7:15 PM

it's inconceivable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: someone shoulda told BC they couldn't beat NCSU 11-3.

Mar 17, 2018, 7:23 PM

That is the great thing about baseball. On any day, a good pitcher can have it and beat anyone. Some days, things just don’t go your way regardless of how good you are. Undefeated baseball teams are a rarity and I assure you there will be none in college baseball this year.

Mar 17, 2018, 8:10 PM

You got that one right. And we won’t know if this is typical of this year or if it’s just one of those anomalies you just described.

There is one thing we seem to consistently do as a team, strike out looking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 11:09 PM

And may I also add....take too many "right down the middle" first pitches for a strike. Many times it's the best hittable pitch thrown to a batter.

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2018, 12:01 AM

Yes we do. Especially after a pitcher walks a batter or two. I listen to all the games on radio and all too often I hear our broadcasters say we missed a hanging one etc. or couldn’t pull the trigger on a good pitch.

And Beer, my goodness teams play that shift. I know he has power and they pitch him inside but I really wish he’d learn to pop it the opposite way. Since they give him that much room.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic