Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
THE G.O.A.T!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

THE G.O.A.T!

Feb 4, 2019, 12:50 AM

Who knows, maybe Trevor Lawrence wins 10 Super Bowls. If he has a good support system around him on the O-Line and a few decent skill position players I don't see why not. I think he's far better than Tom Brady and the scary part is that he hasn't even come close to his ceiling yet.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

We also have a pretty good QB in the NFL right now***

Feb 4, 2019, 1:54 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We also have a pretty good QB in the NFL right now***

Feb 4, 2019, 3:50 AM

Who has yet to get to his first, let alone win one.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In 2 seasons

Feb 4, 2019, 4:02 AM

If you think TL is making the Super Bowl in his first 2 seasons, I'd take that bet. I'm not saying he won't be good enough; it's not just likely.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In 2 seasons

Feb 4, 2019, 4:15 AM

Yeah, he'll be playing for the worst team in the league.

Re: In 2 seasons

Feb 4, 2019, 7:06 AM [ in reply to In 2 seasons ]

Yea, me too, I will take a bet on TL getting to the super bowl in his 1st two years, cause he will be drafted by a terrible team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We also have a pretty good QB in the NFL right now***

Feb 4, 2019, 6:55 AM [ in reply to Re: We also have a pretty good QB in the NFL right now*** ]

The thing that separates DW4 and TL is Trevor protects the ball with very few turnovers.

DW had a 14/2 TD/INT ratio his freshman year. TL was 30/4

Feb 4, 2019, 7:01 AM

Watson had a shortened season, of course, but was on pace for similar #s.

We'll see how Lawrence fares in years 2 and 3.

Feb 4, 2019, 11:22 AM

Watson didn't win the heisman because of all of the picks he threw. He was great but made bad decisions often that led to close games.

Re: DW Had 35/15 TD/INT As Sophomore

Feb 4, 2019, 11:27 AM [ in reply to DW had a 14/2 TD/INT ratio his freshman year. TL was 30/4 ]

DW played the entire 2015 season as a sophomore but didn't do nearly as well as TL as far as taking care of the football. 41/16 as a junior.

Re: THE G.O.A.T!

Feb 4, 2019, 1:57 AM

As a Clemson grad from Massachusetts I'm extremely fortunate. I get to pull for a college QB who has one of the highest ceilings in history, and I get to root for the best, most accomplished QB of all time.

TL played an incredible second half of his freshman year and we all know that there's really no limit to what he can accomplish. However, if you're going to set him next to Tom Brady at this point and feighnly suggest there's a comparison, you're delusional. You're talking about the greatest QB of all time and it's not even close. I hope that TL will continue to grow and reach for greatness, but at this point, let's just relax when it comes to putting him next to Tom Brady.

Feb 4, 2019, 3:09 AM

I'm starting to accept that Brady may be the GOAT, up until now I've favoured Montana, but he keeps winning SBs, so eventually I may have to change my view.

Of course the intangible is that American Football is probably the most team orientated game, and the Coaches probably have more input than any other sport. How much of any team's success is down to the QB, compared with the Coach, is difficult to determine.

As for TL. Well he's already achieved more in his College career than Brady did, but when we're talking about the NFL and the GOAT, there's a long way to go. I hope very much that in 15-20 years time, TL is considered the GOAT, but let's wait and see how his pro career spans out.

In the meantime, let's enjoy the next (hopefully) 3 years, and more success at Clemson.

Feb 4, 2019, 3:49 AM

Your starting to accept it. Montana might have the edge in percentages won (4-0 .1000) to Brady's
(6-3 .666 percentage)but Brady has been to 9, Montana only 4, and Brady has taken the Patriots to 3 consecutive appearances, and not even Montana could do that.
So when does eventually become reality?
Oh, and if the coaches probably have more input than in any other sport then his coach is the GOAT.

Feb 4, 2019, 7:45 AM

When the league allows defense again and qbs are fair game to hit, then I'd move him closer to Montana. Until then, Montana played real football and never lost a Super Bowl. Montana also didn't have rules made up just for his protection. Brady CAN say he is better at losing Super Bowls and crying for flags. If Montana could've had a longer run with the 49ers' best teams without the missed injury seasons, he possibly could have been to more Super Bowls.

Feb 4, 2019, 10:43 AM

The fault in your logic is that you're acting as if the offense-friendly rules are only in place for Brady. All the other teams in the league are playing the same game and he keeps beating them. There's no doubt the game is different than when Montana played, but it's the rules for the league, not just the Patriots.

In terms of Montana being undefeated as an advantage over Brady, I'll never understand that logic. You're saying Montana was better because he lost earlier in the playoffs rather than making it to the Super Bowl. If he wasn't good enough to win a Wild Card game, he wasn't magically going to win the Super Bowl.

Feb 4, 2019, 11:38 AM

I didn't say the offense happy rules were put in for Brady. Just that he's been the reason for some of the anti-defense rules. The rule for hitting a qb below the knee was after he was out for an entire season after getting hit below the knee. There was also the weird 'tuck rule' interpretation to save them once as well. But you are entitled to thinking Brady is halfway decent if you want and I'll continue to not watch the NFL until they fix the league which will never happen.

That was also before the salary cap

Feb 4, 2019, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: THE G.O.A.T! ]

Prior to 1994 super teams could exist in the NFL, and the 49ers were definitely one of those. The Patriots have done this for two decades now and they've done it in an era where the rules promote parity and prevent super teams. The Patriots rarely have an impressive roster outside of Brady and maybe one other star (Gronk recently). Stephon Gilmore might be the 2nd best player on that team right now with Gronk clearly near the end of his career.

The 1989 49ers had Montana, Rice, Roger Craig, Charles Haley, and Ronnie Lott. Their starting LG made 5 Pro Bowls. Hell they had Steve Young sitting on the bench for 4 full seasons before taking over for Montana in 1991 because you could actually do that back then.

All of those guys were in their prime too. That can't happen anymore because they would all be getting paid at that point in their careers. The only way to get anything close to a super team in the NFL now is to draft incredibly well and get a bunch of young stars on rookie contracts. Look how quickly the Seahawks fell apart when those guys started getting paid. They chose to pay and build around Russell Wilson and the result of that was letting almost all of the key guys from the "Legion of Boom" go because they couldn't afford to keep them.

Re: That was also before the salary cap

Feb 4, 2019, 11:57 AM

Great point about the salary cap. I remember a few years ago Trent Dilfer mentioned that the 49ers used to go out and sign more players than was allowed...it wasn't to better their team, because they didn't even play the guys, it was just to prevent them from going elsewhere to help someone else.

Feb 4, 2019, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Re: THE G.O.A.T! ]

Brady is a system QB. You can’t give him sole credit for team achievements. He didn’t hold the Rams to 3 points. He didn’t play a good game. He owes all of his success to Belichick. Peyton Manning would have won twice as many Super Bowls as Brady in New England.

Feb 4, 2019, 10:44 AM

Have you been drinking paint?

Cortect, BIlL WALSH never had a system.

Feb 4, 2019, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Re: THE G.O.A.T! ]

He just called plays from an Atari joystick. Never ever invented an offensive system.

Montana also never had any good receivers or backs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

There's no arguing the fact that Brady is the worst QB ever to win 6 SBs***

Feb 4, 2019, 4:28 AM

Re: There's no arguing the fact that Brady is the worst QB ever to win 6 SBs***

Feb 4, 2019, 4:58 AM

No, he's the only quarterback to win 6!

Yeah that was pretty much the joke right there***

Feb 4, 2019, 6:44 AM

Re: Yeah that was pretty much the joke right there***

Feb 4, 2019, 6:46 AM

What joke!

That does make him the worst to do it!

Feb 4, 2019, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: There's no arguing the fact that Brady is the worst QB ever to win 6 SBs*** ]

Also the best, but i like the glass half empty approach more here.

Feb 4, 2019, 5:38 AM [ in reply to There's no arguing the fact that Brady is the worst QB ever to win 6 SBs*** ]

Yep - and he’s also the best !! -:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Feb 4, 2019, 6:42 AM

You could also make the argument they are the best franchise of all time:
10 Superbowl appearances.Most of all time.
6 Wins, tying Pittsburg for most all-time wins.

Feb 4, 2019, 7:11 AM

I think you could also make the argument that Brady would not be the success he is without the organization .

By the same token , the Patriots organization might not be as successful had they not come across Brady .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got can make that argument about every team

Feb 4, 2019, 11:13 AM

That has ever won anything in any sport

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Thank you for posting this pig

Feb 4, 2019, 6:53 AM

I will use this often. You see, I have some UGA buddies that for some reason don’t believe in our tigers. Called Bama an overrated and subpar Bama team. They also seem to think that UGA is something they are not. You wanna talk about overrated and subpar? Lol! Every time I talk Clemson it seems to bother them......I love it.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic