Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone around
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Anyone around

Jun 27, 2019, 11:11 AM

In the days when “Muletrain” McGuirt played for the Tigers? How about Buddy Gore? If you remember seeing them play you’ve been a Tiger fan for a while!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone around

Jun 27, 2019, 11:15 AM

I remember them well !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Muletrain

Jun 27, 2019, 11:20 AM

Only played a season as I recall but Gore was top knotch. Do you think they had the talent to play in today’s game?

I think about some of the great players from the past that I have seen and wonder if the game has changed that much.

Re: Muletrain

Jun 27, 2019, 11:25 AM

withe the resources and training available today? Absolutely.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 11:22 AM

The Bashful Baron always pronounced it M'Gwoyt on his TV show, IIRC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 11:25 AM

Your memory is much better than mine. I can’t remember a tv show back then. But you are exactly right about his pronunciation. Howard could destroy a lot of names,

Jun 27, 2019, 11:42 AM

Ol' Frank ran Buddy Gore every other play. Must have carried the ball 40 times a game. Don't know how he held up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 11:46 AM

Gore is first in my recollection of anything Clemson!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes Sir ! Buddy Gore was from Conway?

Jun 27, 2019, 12:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes Sir ! Buddy Gore was from Conway?

Jun 27, 2019, 12:02 PM

Succeeded by Ray Yauger.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 27, 2019, 12:07 PM

and Chuck Huntley and Smiley Sanders (who played baseball too as I recall)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 1:17 PM

Wasn't Smiley Clemson football's first black player? He was pretty good, but the team not so.

Jun 27, 2019, 2:07 PM

Smiley Sanders was from Central, played at Daniel and the last time I saw him he was still white. I remember the first black player but can't recall his name. I believe he was a DB.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes Sir ! Buddy Gore was from Conway? Marion Reeves

Jun 27, 2019, 2:16 PM

was the first black scholarship fb player I recall. A db from Irmo I believe. I had a couple classes with him. Very nice guy. Intercepted Pat Sullivan once in his Heisman year I think. Seem to recall we played them at Auburn that time

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The Conway Comet"***

Jun 27, 2019, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Yes Sir ! Buddy Gore was from Conway? ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Wayne Mass, Harry Olszewski, Jackie Jackson, Charlie Waters***

Jun 27, 2019, 12:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wayne Mass, Harry Olszewski, Jackie Jackson, Charlie Waters***

Jun 27, 2019, 12:09 PM

And Gary Arthur and Joe Lhotsky ...

Re: Wayne Mass, Harry Olszewski, Jackie Jackson, Charlie Waters***

Jun 27, 2019, 4:08 PM

freddy Kelley.phil rogers.bill sharpe.connie wade.richie luzzi.frank libratore.wayne mulligan.ricky johnson.butch sursavage.and the immortal tom bulwith.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Buddy Gore was a great one back in the day. Would love

Jun 27, 2019, 12:11 PM

to see how he would fare in today's game. I was a kid then, but remember Gore and Yauger in the same backfield.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jun 27, 2019, 12:13 PM

Buddy Gore and JimmyAddison were some of my favorites. Jimmy gave me his chin strap at one of the games...

Gore and Yauger both score in this clip vs. Alabama '68:

Jun 27, 2019, 12:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0l73e816-s

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Bill McGuirt and I were at Clemson together

Jun 27, 2019, 1:24 PM

He was one of the most physically impressive players that I can remember. He was strong as an ox and had great leg drive from the fullback position. He was also a hard hitter on defense. I think he had the potential to be an All American. Howard use to get on him a lot at practice. Also, an end named Bob Poole was there at the same time. Poole was also a very physically impressive guy. Dave Brown was also on the team and the rumor was that he had been a golden gloves boxer. He and Poole were good friends and I heard stories about how intimidating they could be on their trips to places in Greenville. Not sure if the stories were true. Walter Cox (son of the Dean) and Jimmy Howard were on the same team. I was at Boys State with Walter and Jimmy and it was held on the USC campus. I was told that King Dixon and Alex Hawkins (great players at USC) tried to help recruit them during Boys State and told Walter and Jimmy they wanted them to come to South Carolina. Again, I hear that their reply was, "we're coming down here to beat your A.." Those were good days from 1960-1964. But the football team wasn't great.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 1:29 PM

I don't remember "Muletrain" but I remember seeing Buddy Gore and Ray Yauger when I was in Junior High School.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 2:09 PM

Let us not forget Harvey White (QB), Joel Wells (RB) and Bill Mathis (RB) from the '50's.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 5:25 PM

Also QB Lowndes Shingler from about the same years as White and FBs Pat Crain and Charlie Dumas from the early 60s. Coach Howard ran those two quite a bit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Jun 27, 2019, 2:23 PM

Are you referring to William "Punchy" McGuirt from Lancaster? I was a senior at Lancaster when Punchy started making headlines.
He was freshman all-American at Clemson. Never did anything after his freshman year. The word at home was girls and partying too much.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2019, 4:52 PM

Remember Buddy Gore well. Loved watching him play - first 1000 yard rusher for Clemson iirc....

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jun 28, 2019, 12:08 PM

I do remember Bill "Muletrain" McGuirt, and Buddy Go', and all of the other players mentioned - that happens when you get old, as I am. Joe 21, I'm not quite at your level, but "in the neighborhood".
This is my first post, and probably my last for a while. I am still working full-time and am too subject to distraction by social media - I'd spend all of my time on TigerNet and simliiar media once I start - so I have consciously avoided doing so until I retire. I celebrate my 72nd birthday next week, and will be retiring one of these years, once I get old enough to do so. My daddy ran his little country store (oldest in the state - the historic marker says 1837, but it was probably started around 1822)until he was 90 - so the genetics are there. That will be the time for joining in the fray.
Now, credentials: Born and raised in the metropolis of Ware Shoals (Mother taught Jerry Butler), "Center of the known universe"; was supposed to study Ceramic Engineering at Clemson but chickened out at the last second and went to my mother's alma mater, Erskine; spent 21 years on active duty in the Navy, retiring in 1990; live in Anderson; work as a lawyer in Greenville; and, have been a Tiger, well, always. Usta listen to basketball games from The Cow Palace on AM radio, with the broadcast voice of Bill Goodrich fading in and out due to nighttime atmospherics; can name all four of the Mahaffey brothers from LaGrange GA, the only quad of brothers to letter at Clemson in basketball (the football equivalent is the Ducworth boys (Ronnie, George, CH, and Tommy) from Anderson); lived for football games on the radio on fall Saturday afternoons; have been a member of IPTAY continuously since 1964; was stationed in D.C., and drove to Richmond VA to pick up most of the football broadcasts during the first national championship season (1981); have served on a Clemson board; have intended to eventually have a degree from Clemson and have been "admitted" three times, but have not yet attended a class at Clemson (as a student); have had the same Death Valley seats since the year of the Puntrooskie Game, at which a dear friend of mine, now deceased, was inducted into the Clemson Athletic Hall of Fame (we were in the box (end box, west end of the North stands) where the inductees and their families were seated and pounding on the glass as the play was developing) - my tickets were originally a part of his family seating; attended mostly away games and bowl games while on active duty, and raised two Tiger sons that way; have attended almost all home games and bowl games since retirement - but neither of the recent championship games; saw my first game in person at Death Valley in the mid-50's, after the first expansions of the north and south stands (to raise them above ground level), but long before upper decks were even a vision; sat in the "new" west stands for my first real date; saw the miracle comeback against Weak Florist when George "Pogo" Usry scored the winning TD; saw incredible opposing QBs in Death Valley (Norm Snead (WF), Roman Gabriel (NC State), Kenny "Snake" Stabler ('Bammer); watched The Needle throw the most pure, beautiful long balls that I have ever seen, and he didn't weigh 165, soaking wet; sat under the big tree at the top of Section GG (as Frank Howard cslled the bank - Section Green Grass) with Anderson County Sheriff E.E. "Duck" Cooley on many a Saturday afternoon; attended the first home game against USuCk with my uncle - only game he ever took me to; and have watched play all of the names mentioned thus far in this thread.
NOW, two quick Clemson stories, and I'm gone for a while. First, when Coach Howard was in Anderson Regional Healthcare (AnMed, previously Anderson Memorial)during his last illness, I went by to visit him, with my youngest, who was then around 10 or so. When we got to his room, the door was open, and coach was sitting in a straight-backed chair in orange athletic shorts and a white t-shirt, head leaned back, and a wet white towel over his eyes - with a headache. He still looked like he could have suited up for his Crimson Tide team - big, strong, barrel-chested. Because he had his eyes covered, I said "I know you can't see us Coach and don't know who we are, but I'm XXXXXXXX and this is my son, YYYYYY." In that gravely voice, he immediately replied "H#$%, I wouldn't know who you are anyway, buddy!!" The ultimate squelch!!!
Now, the real reason for breaking radio silence - Bill "Muletrain" McGuirt - or, as someone has aptly noted, "McGoiyt" in Howardese. Following "recruiting" through the Greenville News, as was all we had to go by in those days, I was thrilled when it was announced that he was coming to Clemson - the prototypical fullback/linebacker, in two-way football. And his freshman year he did not disappoint - lighting it up. And then he just kinda disappeared, and I wondered what had happened to him. Now, fast forward a few years until either 1967 or 1968 - I was at Erskine and, among other things, worked for the Chemistry department as a student lab assistant. One of the Chemistry professors, Mr. William Pressley was a dear friend - I had helped him learn a little about football - he loved the term "red dog" and wanted to know what it meant, so I taught him some of the basic elements of the game, and some of the terminology. (I also taught him the easy way to remember the difference between stalactites and stalagmites - it's like ants in the pants - the mites go up and the tights come down). One day Mr. Pressley came to me and told me he would like for me to help a student of his who was having difficulty in freshman chemistry. He gave me an address in Due West and asked me to look in on this guy. Sometime that week I went by the house and found out it was a student boarding house, with 4 student apartments. My contact lived upstairs, on the right. I went up the steps and knocked on the door, and it opened to this massive, chiseled physical specimen - Bill McGuirt. I was spellbound, of course. I had recognized the name, but thought "Naw, couldn't be him." But it was - one of my childhood heroes. I had a wonderful semester, working with him and swapping what little I knew of chemistry for his football stories. And then the semester ended, and I lost track of him. He was a gentle giant. I can't imagine facing him on the football field - scary. But in person he was very quiet, almost shy, with a deep, bass voice and gratitude for even the smallest favor done him. Reminded me very much of the dark-haired, chiseled actor in "The Dirty Dozen".
I also had the pleasure to meet Buddy Go', the Conway Comet at Gov. Robert McNair's dove shoots on his farm near Jamestown, SC. This "bigger than life" hero from my childhood was much the same way as Bill McGuirt - a true physical specimen, but just as gracious as could be. I do remember the stories of Frank Howard riding him, after he got married and, many thought, slowed down a step or two - and Frank, in his ribald manner, attributing it to getting married - or, at least, the effects of being married! And he was a comet, too - very fast, even by today's standards.
OK, you see why I can't afford to engage in conversations on Tigernet - but simply couldn't let the story of Bill McGuirt pass without at least some comment. Keep up the good work, bring the Tigers home a winner every time, avoid "constant bearing, decreasing range" TigerDug, reel'em in Ole Spud, and God Bless Tiger Nation. R/TLM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic