Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
THE PRESEASON POLLS: UNJUSTIFIED
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 5,434

THE PRESEASON POLLS: UNJUSTIFIED

Aug 20, 2014, 11:58 AM

Date: August 20, 2014

Travis Hamrick
230 Roper Mountain Ext.
Greenville, SC 29615

Subject: UNJUSTIFIED RANKING

Greetings:

I am writing this letter to Tigernet members in order to express my disliking for the preseason ranking polls for 2014. My complaint is not in respects to Clemson's ranking, but rather the ranking of a few choice teams that seem to become the usual suspects each season.

Below you will find a list and a breakdown of why I feel as if each team selected is unjustified. It should also reflect why Clemson's ranking should naturally move up in the polls if the other teams were removed from the unjustified overall scheme of things.

1.) Ohio State: Why in the world would the sports media pundits select Ohio State to be ranked anywhere near the Top 5? To me this makes no sense unless the entire world of sports suddenly developed a case of amnesia. Do they not recall the very reason why Ohio State is even relevant? Just in case they forgot; they cheated the system. Also, I question the very strength of their schedule. The fact that they took a beating by Michigan State and Clemson says a lot. The win by Clemson wasn't just a normal win. It was a brutal punishment. Not to mention the assistance that Urban Myer was getting from the AAC officials. We still won by 5, so there's that.

2.) Alabama: Did anyone else review the strength of their schedule last season? They hosted one of the easiest schedules out of their conference. They took a beat down in their bowl game to a presumed inferior team. In other words; They "Clemsoned" it. Can someone explain to me why
Alabama is ranked at #2 right now? I can explain it, but I feel that my answer would be too vague. My answer is quite simple. It is media bias. In fact, so much media bias that I now feel as if I am watching Fox or CNN. Give me a break people, and please get a reality check.

3.)Oregon: Let me sum it all up by saying this. They have a weak defense. Stanford beat them last season. The same Stanford team that lost to two non-ranked opponents. (That is another story coming up next.) I can sum up Oregon's recent history with a simple statement. Weak Schedule + 250 Uniform Combinations = 0 National Titles. Someone in sports talk needs a serious reality check.

4.) Stanford: Why are they even ranked this season? The better question is why they maintained their top 15 ranking after 2 losses to non-ranked opponents last season. I even believe that one was a loss to an FCS opponent. This does not make any sense at all to even consider them to be relevant at this point.

5.) Georgia: After their dynamic QB struggled against every ranking opponent they still rank high on the preseason polls. Even worse because Aaron Murray is now gone. This leaves Hutson Mason to carry the offense which only has two weapons to select from. They have a mediocre offensive line and a severely depleted defense. This doesn't count the 8 - 10 players that will be suspended for game 1-3. Again, can someone justify this decision by anyone that has a brain?

6.) South Carolina: Now I know that they have the Ole Ball Coach, but this still does not justify any rank beyond #25 at this point. They lost a ton of production on both sides of the ball. They lost 85% of their offense when they lost Shaw. Sure Dylan started a few games last season and won. However, what they don't mention is that in 3 of those games that Dylan started, an injured Shaw had to come in and win the game for the Gamecocks. By no means am I a dirt ######, but I have respect for Shaw and what he did for that pathetic football program. He actually made that team relevant for the entire historical existence of the program. That says a lot about a team coming off of a 117 year tradition of losing. Call me ill informed about Gamecock football, but I just do not see a strong chance of South Carolina winning more than 8 games this season.

That pretty much sums up the teams I have in question. I truly feel that even with an impressive win in the BCS Discover Orange Bowl that Clemson is placed right where they need to be. I am a huge Clemson fanatic, but Clemson has a lot to prove before a top 5 rank can be considered. If Clemson handles business like they are supposed to in Sanford and Doak Campbell Stadium then they have a strong argument to be at least #2. I say this because we have a mildly experienced offense that has yet to prove themselves as a unit. We have 2 very tough games in the first 3 on the schedule. They are away games that we aren't expected by anyone to win, except Clemson fans. If Clemson entered the season in the Top 5 and lost those two away games then it would hurt the rest of their season pretty severely. If they lose those two and remain a top 25 team then it isn't as bad. So I say let our boys go prove themselves first.

I am sorry if my letter of complaint is long winded, but I simply cannot bite my tongue this season while inferior teams rank higher on the polls than my Clemson Tigers. If a team is going to be ranked higher than Clemson then I expect them to have a proven history of recent performance.

I would like to hear other fan opinions on this matter. Not just from a bias Clemson point of view, but from a logical perspective.

You TIGERS enjoy the rest of the week. It's HUMPDAY!

GO TIGERS,

"Chesty"

Message was edited by: ChestyPuller0311®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Is this a new TNET feature I missed in my

Aug 20, 2014, 12:00 PM

5 month absence?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

there are people, they know who they are, that wished it was

Aug 20, 2014, 12:01 PM

more.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haha. So tell me who is actually good?***

Aug 20, 2014, 12:04 PM

Clemson and Florida State

Aug 20, 2014, 12:05 PM

In that order

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

coot!***

Aug 20, 2014, 12:08 PM

forgive me, I find myself funnier than I actually am....***

Aug 20, 2014, 12:09 PM

ONE MORE THING BEFORE I GET BACK TO WORK

Aug 20, 2014, 12:14 PM

My fellow Tiger fans ask your self these two questions.

1. If Paul Bear Bryant were still living would he feel as if his Alabama team deserves to be a #2 Ranking right now? I don't think so in my opinion.

2. I don't even think Frank Howard would want Clemson to be Ranked higher going into the season. My Grandfather played for Coach Howard and he used to tell me how tough Coach Howard was. He always expected your best, and your best was never good enough.

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller

Show your ####### Chesty

Aug 20, 2014, 12:18 PM

McPullmywang

Re: Show your ####### Chesty

Aug 20, 2014, 12:35 PM

Do you even know who Chesty Puller is? He was a United State Marine Corps General. He earned 5 Navy Crosses and fought in several different wars. He is a Marine Corps Legend

~Chesty Puller

Re: Show your ####### Chesty

Aug 20, 2014, 6:57 PM

Youre

An

Idiot

I know who Chesty Puller Is.....

Aug 20, 2014, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Show your ####### Chesty ]

My 8th Armored US Army father and his company of tanks, along with some green 81st Infantry guys saved Chesty Puller's #### and wwhat was left of his men on Peleliu.

During a twin assault on Angaur and Peleliu, Angaur was taken in a few days, but your Col. Puller and his 1st Marine Division got into the usual Puller mess - surrounded and all shot up. Puller lost half of his men.

After their assault and overpowering the Japanese on Angaur, my father's tank unit and some infantry were loaded back onto the boats and they went to Peleliu to do what they could to stabilize that very, very bad situation. They did what they were asked to do, but were it not for the US Army and some real greenhorns, your Chesty Puller would have never lived to make General, much less Commandant.

You can read a little about it here, but the Army has a better read of that action in it's archives, now used for tactical tank deployment in training:

http://www.rickard.karoo.net/articles/battles_angaur.html

I'm sure you're aware that not everyone was a fan of Commandant Puller.

You do make some valid points

Aug 20, 2014, 1:17 PM

And I agree with most of what your saying. What teams would you put in the top 15?

Re: You do make some valid points

Aug 20, 2014, 1:40 PM

OrangeTiger77 that is a very interesting question. You see, the problem with this form of media bias is that other teams have been ignored for so long, that I do not even know what team would qualify. I will give it my best shot to do the Top 15:

1.) FSU

2.) AUBURN

3.) Oklahoma

4.) Baylor

5.) Alabama

6.) Louisville

7.) Mizzou

8.) Oklahoma State

9.) Clemson

10.)UCF

11.)UCLA

12.)Michigan State

13.)LSU

14.)South Carolina

15.)Oregon

While I know that some of the teams are in the TOP 15 in media polls, they aren't ranked as high, and I have teams ahead which I feel ought to be based on recent performance history.

~Chesty Puller

Aug 20, 2014, 8:05 PM

4.) Baylor
Way overrated, don't see the love here
6.) Louisville
With no Bridgewater and Grantham as their DC?
You're insane
7.) Mizzou
Lost key defensive players and DGB their best offensive play maker. Also benefited from a down East.
8.) Oklahoma State
Okie State will be lucky to win 9 games this season.
9.) Clemson
Strong defense but unproven QB and now one of their RB's is gone for the season. Not a top 10 team
12.)Michigan State
Should be way higher, they probably have the best defense in the country

And Georgia should be in your top 15 if you have LSU, Clemson, and USCe

Aug 20, 2014, 8:07 PM

Well I will remind you that we have a STABLE of Running backs this year... You guys haven't seen the likes of Adam Choice, Wayne Gallman, and Kurt Fleming... It is coming though. Along with DJ HOWARD!

~Chesty Puller

Aug 20, 2014, 8:14 PM

So you're saying if we lost Gurley we'd be the same?

And we've seen a "stable" of RB's like your's. It's called the Four Horsemen. Todd Gurley, Keith Marshall, Sony Michel, and Nick Chubb.

Re: THE PRESEASON POLLS: UNJUSTIFIED

Aug 20, 2014, 1:39 PM

#5, Well that's like your opinion man, but I agree with you on the rest of your post!

Aug 20, 2014, 1:55 PM

I can not answer for the other teams listed, but I can give you a little insight on Georgia. I am by no means one of those people who say my team is the best without needing proof, but we do have much more talent than just two weapons on offense. Also the D should be improved.

"5.) Georgia: After their dynamic QB struggled against every ranking opponent they still rank high on the preseason polls. Even worse because Aaron Murray is now gone. This leaves Hutson Mason to carry the offense which only has two weapons to select from. They have a mediocre offensive line and a severely depleted defense. This doesn't count the 8 - 10 players that will be suspended for game 1-3. Again, can someone justify this decision by anyone that has a brain?"

Aaron Murray is gone, but Hutson Mason played well in his time at the end of last season. He was not flashy but he did manage to throw for 900+ yards in 2 1/2 games, one of which was a very rainy day. The O-Line should actually be improved from last year with a little more quality depth. Greg Pyke is a very solid lineman, our center is not the best in the business but he is a student of the game and very reliable, Theus is playing much better as a left tackle and has elite talent at the position. We actually have fewer players suspended for game one than you do, and I am not trying to slight Clemson by any means at all. I respect your football team and think you have an outstanding program. Our offense features several weapons at running back, Gurley being the most significant. At receiver we have Michael Bennet which is a proven possession receiver. Chris Conley is also one of our receivers that have elite talent and speed. Tibbs is coming on very good as well. Hicks and Rome will do just fine playing the H-back and Tight End positions respectively. I also think that the game pace will change with Mason at the lead, and it will suit his playing style. Defensively, we lost people, but the people we lost were in a secondary unit that they underperformed in. I believe the play of our secondary will be much more refined this year. Our D-line has much more talent and depth than last year, and our linebackers are going to be a force to reckon with. Many analysts believe we will have one of the best front 7's in the nation. Lastly, time will tell and I look forward to next week's test against Clemson. It should shed some light on the heading of both of our programs this season. Good luck and have fun. Ready for game one to be here.

Aug 20, 2014, 2:02 PM

Clayton that was an actual analysis. I have watched Connely make some good plays in the Spring game. However, our secondary will be the toughest he will face all season. Our front 7 will be the toughest that Mason faces all season.

~Chesty Puller

Aug 20, 2014, 2:06 PM

Looking forward to the game. I agree with you in a sense for sure, because unless we can set up the pass game using the run we will be in trouble. Gurley needs a 100+ yard game, and Mason needs to show poise in the pocket. It hurts that we are down two of our best receivers for game one, but I just hope we have the back for the gamecocks in week 3. I can't stand to lose to Spurrier and the chicks.

Aug 20, 2014, 2:09 PM

Tell me about it... I can't stand losing to the ole ball sack either.

~Chesty Puller

Aug 20, 2014, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Re: THE PRESEASON POLLS: UNJUSTIFIED ]

Don't think so, that call would go to Florida!

Aug 20, 2014, 6:27 PM

No more than 8 games? Bookmarked

Way off the mark

Aug 20, 2014, 6:55 PM

You definitely made up the stat about Shaw coming in to win 3 of DTs starts, Shaw being 85% of offense and lord knows what else. Shaw bailed DT out once against Missouri and DT bailed Shaw out once at UCF. The pollsters picked SC to drop about 5 places (4th to 9th) and CU to drop 6-7 places (9th to 15/16th). Neither are way unjustified. Poorly constructed post.

Re: Way off the mark

Aug 20, 2014, 9:53 PM

I gotta agree with you bms2006. You beat me to the punch. Those were some made up stats. Also I think Dylan may have started and finished the Ucf game. I'm old so my memory could be wrong and I don't feel like googling it. He started in Death Valley and won, which is by far his best accomplishment. Yeah he struggled against mizzou but they were top 5 at the time and it was on the road. NFL talent on defense in mizzou too. Even Connor shaw lost two road games a year so I can't use that one bad game as a measure to say anything negative about Dylan. Honestly I think scar has left a lot of points off the board by playing Connor shaw. He did what he had to do to win but most were close games. Dylan is more of a pocket passer and I think scar will score more on average with him at qb. I'm thinking that cole stout may be a Connor shaw type gritty player that won't impress with his arm like Boyd but will play within the system and just do what it takes to make the smart plays, protect the ball, and keep his team in it and allow the defense to impact the game as well.

Re: Way off the mark

Aug 20, 2014, 9:59 PM

Also Connor shaws first start was the first game in Charlotte against ecu, went down 17-0, Garcia came in and rescued him winning the game. Shaw turned out to be a stud after that. I remember willy Korn got rocked his first real games and he turned out to win a national title or two at ngu. Point is you gotta look at the big picture and not judge an impact player by one game.

Aug 20, 2014, 7:58 PM

"2) Alabama"
Saban is their coach and the defense is stout

"3) Oregon"
Weak schedule, toughest game at home, Stanford lost their DC, potent offense

"Georgia: After their dynamic QB struggled against every ranking opponent they still rank high on the preseason polls." LOL Wut?

"This leaves Hutson Mason to carry the offense which only has two weapons to select from." Are you stupid? We have Gurley, Marshal, Michel,and Chubb at runnigback.
Mitchell, Conley, JSW, and stable of receivers. Mason is a 5th yea QB and started the final 2 1/2 games

This doesn't count the 8 - 10 players that will be suspended for game
What?

can someone justify this decision by anyone that has a brain? Manageable schedule, best RB and LB corp in the nation. QB who should be able to manage the game fine. Strong d-line with a new DC who specializes in the secondary.

6.) South Carolina: Sounds like you're just butthurt SC now owns Clemson

impressive win in the BCS Discover Orange Bowl Over Ohio State. The last time they beat a top 10 was in 2006.

Aug 20, 2014, 9:34 PM

Deer Chesty,

1. I am now dumber for reading your post.
2. Get a hobby.

Aug 20, 2014, 10:51 PM

Supposedly the polls will have nothing to do with the national championship committee's selection of the top 4. I seriously doubt it will work out that way though.

Replies: 29
| visibility 5,434
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic