Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,572

Watson

Oct 18, 2015, 1:41 PM

While there is no doubt about this kid's talent, the completion percentage is outstanding at just under 70%, but the one thing that is a little concerning are the turnovers. 7 int on the year, 5 straight games with at least one. Definitely need to get that cleaned up before playing a team in Florida St. that rarely ever turns the ball over. The other thing is the inaccuracy on some of the deep passes. I wonder if this is just a result of losing his top receiver and not quite being used to the other guys yet.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watson

Oct 18, 2015, 1:47 PM

He didn't get a lot of work this spring and summer throwing. The fact he had ACL surgery in December and is playing this well is amazing. I think he's made a lot of progress since the Louisville game and should only get better as the season goes forward.

Oct 18, 2015, 1:49 PM

I believe Watson is fine. He has made a few mistakes absolutely, but nothing horrendous. All of them I would also consider productive mistakes as well. When you try to force the ball into Dbl coverage as he did at LV and DON'T get away with it, a smart qb learns from that. A few you can't put on him, like if the WR falls down, runs won't route or gives up on a ball. You can throw a perfect oass, but you also need a WR to do his part. A tipped ball is there for the taking. And sometimes the DB just makes a heck of a play. I think we are still seeing a part of the maturation process of DW4, and as good as he is now, I drool at the thought of how good he will be next season after a year of maturity, strength and gaining weight, and maybe most importantly, a bit more confidence and healing for his knee. Go Tigers, beat the Canes!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2015, 1:56 PM

We, at times, go for the long ball too much. I cannot understand a 30 yard pass when it is 3rd and 5.
A 5 yard pass is much easier to complete than a 30 yarder. All teams do this though and I guess that's why I'm not a coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2015, 2:01 PM

Right. The defensive coverage dictates which pass has the greatest chance of success! You don't throw a 5 yard pass into double coverage.

Oct 18, 2015, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson ]

Element of surprise is all I can think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Understandable thought, but

Oct 18, 2015, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson ]

I would counter with attacking the weaker part of the defense, whatever they may be. The front 7 of that team is darn good. Plus by stretching the field it also allows more underneath stuff and running game to open up. Even a bad team can dominate one area if they sell out. That is when you have to Mae them pay. Get them thinking, crap, what do I do now?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2015, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson ]

We went for the long ball because that's what BC was giving us. Credit to the Eagles, they were the first team - all year! - that decided they were going to pressure the LOS, erase the run, and play in our receivers' faces. They decided that Watson was going to have to beat them with pressure in his face, and they decided that Wayne Gallman was not going to run on them. BC is more than good enough defensively they can do that...the question always was, was Deshaun Watson going to be able to make them pay when they gave us 1-on-1's on the outside and brought the heat?

In the first half, the answer was no. In the second, he got dialed in and those balls over the top started connecting, and that was that.

He did take a beating, but the fact that he threw for 420 yards and 3 TD's - and ran for another - definitively Made A Statement to opposing DC's - don't try it. Which presents a quandary - if you sit deep, Wayne Gallman will beat you. If you try to blitz, Watson and Company will fry you over the top.

DC's will not like what they just saw there. Only Bama, of all the teams I've seen (except for maybe Clemson), is as good as BC on defense...say what you want about the BC defense, they were vicious.

Oct 18, 2015, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson ]

Just as quozzel said, it's all about keeping trams honest. The teams we will play and the team we were playing. If it's 3rd and 5 (or 4 and 1) and we bomb one over the top (or dump it long for 6) it will make the LBs and DBs think twice before going into the hole or jumping underneath routes. Even if we don't complete the pass the threat and the willingness to go long is there. Same with the run. If you pound it, the D will cheat up regardless of if it works because they don't want a huge one to break. Luckily we have the option to pound it and bomb it in the same drive or even the same play.
There are also times where it's 3rd and short and DW just picks it up with his legs to play it safe. But it's up to him. If he has been watching corners jump routes and safety's cheat up, he's gonna dial up a long ball.

Oct 18, 2015, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Watson ]

I sometimes think that the Tigers are using a lot of these games such as the BC game as a scrimmage to get DW back in the groove. He did miss a LOT of practice time healing from the injury. The OC's have really mixed up the plays in each individual game plan. You will see something different in the Miami game I am sure. DW is getting ready. The coaches are seeing to that .............I think

Oct 18, 2015, 2:10 PM

It is frustrating not being able to complete each and every downfield pass but think about the QBs that we have had through the years and compare them to where we are with Watson. Most QBs have a redshirt year, then it takes at least one full year as a starter to even be average. Watson is already doing things that we haven't seen with other QBs. He has thrown into coverage a little more than I would like and he sure missed on a number of long passes last night but he turned that around in the second half and threw some mighty pretty passes. I am still waiting for him to reach his potential and I believe when he does that he will be setting records that will be hard to match for our future QBs.

Oct 18, 2015, 2:15 PM

The slight struggles with down field passed at times is not nearly concerning as the turnovers. I just feel like we will need to protect the ball better against a still very good Florida St team.

Let us not forget that he still does not have a whole

Oct 19, 2015, 7:20 AM

college football season under his belt as a starter. He will get better, which is a scary thought for other teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 'other,' guys have to get used to him.

Oct 19, 2015, 7:32 AM

He's the standard here. We've seen a bunch of errant route running since Mike when down. Virtually everyone is working a new position. The freshmen don't know their routes from a hole in the ground same as did Nuk the first half of his freshman year. That's life and not intended to impeach the talent of either of the three. It's just freshman stuff.

DW's missing deep on the pass this game was the way it's supposed to be missed. One of those interceptions this week was a bad route by a WR. It was a timing play where the ball was to be thrown before the receiver turned his head.

DW has done a stellar job of coming back from knee surgery, imo. Somehow I can't see him performance being a negative for us.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/755

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The important thing is he does not dwell on the turnovers...

Oct 19, 2015, 7:57 AM

That makes me think that no matter how bad he plays, we'll never be out of a game this year.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,572
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic