Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watching the Bristol NASCAR race Saturday, I noticed the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Watching the Bristol NASCAR race Saturday, I noticed the

Aug 20, 2018, 11:54 AM

stands were probably 65% full. I know the popularity of the sport has dropped and that's hard to imagine. What crossed my mind, these drivers and their crew members support our military, pray before each race and everyone stands during the singing of the National Anthem and they do not complain about their salaries. The NFL is pretty much sold out each Sunday and they complain about their salaries, kneel or boycott the National Anthem, etc. I'm sure there are arguments for both sides and not everyone is going to agree with me. I just wonder what you all think about it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't know the answer in totality but..

Aug 20, 2018, 12:03 PM

do know NFL football probably has been around much longer “Officially” in the Nation whereby the Southern Sport of Car Racing (Nascar, etc) was Nationalized much later..hence a possible stronger & older fan base.

Oops, may I say I don’t know except one sport goes Around in a Circle while the other goes Up & Down the Field. ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watching the Bristol NASCAR race Saturday, I noticed the

Aug 20, 2018, 12:06 PM

if there were more accidents I am sure viewership would improve. My advice would be to add on the track obstacles, a few jumps, and some fire.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2018, 3:41 PM

Have a "rabbit lane" from the stands to the infield. Drunks can 'judge' whether they can make it across. Winners get a case of natty and a folding chair in pit row.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2018, 4:08 PM

now we are thinking outside of the box, they should also be able to perch themselves in the upper decks with a bazooka to take out drivers that have strayed from the pack.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

cause the popularity of a sport (or event)

Aug 20, 2018, 12:13 PM

Has absolutely nothing to do with the national anthem

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2018, 12:13 PM

I think people have to travel further distances for Nascar races, along with the races being too long, season too long etc probably plays a part in smaller crowds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2018, 4:18 PM

Season is way too long. If they got it done before football and quit going so far outside the south where their main fanbase is they’d do better.

Aug 20, 2018, 12:14 PM

Nascar has been in flux for several years now, trying to find the combination of rules that still makes the series fun to follow. I personally don't like the new way . .but it is what it is. That is where they have lost some fans.

Re: Watching the Bristol NASCAR race-- yeah they

Aug 20, 2018, 12:51 PM

fluxed it up. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2018, 12:15 PM

Bristol seats 160,000 plus so at 65% full you probably still had as many there as at an NFL regular season game.I agree with you the popularity of the 80s,90s, 2000s is way down. Nascar has mainly themselves to blame, with the direction Brian France took the sport.Ticket prices, hotel gouging fans, all finally caught up and fans have had enough. Bristol was once a long waiting list to get a ticket to the night race, but not anymore.

Aug 20, 2018, 12:28 PM

Brian Frances DUI might be the best thing to ever happen to NASCAR.

Good riddance.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Aug 20, 2018, 12:19 PM

Ticket prices need to be dropped for NASCAR IMO.

They have made changes over the last year to improve the product on the track and are continuing to do so.

They currently have an influx of very talented young drivers that will push NASCAR forward.

Aug 20, 2018, 12:23 PM

Brian France killed NASCAR. It was doing really well and he started changing everything. Changed the championship 3-4 times, mess with the flow of the races. When it was really popular, you might have 3-4 drivers you liked/pulled for... if they finished in the top 10, it was a good day. Now, if you dont win the race it doesnt matter as much where you finish so it takes a lot of the fun out of the races.
The playoff deal they have for the championship now is terrible. The reset the points 4 times. It is so gimmicky now. I used to never miss a race .. but I havnt watched one in a few years.

NASCAR is hurting for several reasons, and they've

Aug 20, 2018, 12:47 PM

always been 'America First'. They've alienated a lot fans by choice. When NASCAR decided to 'appeal to more of the country' they quietly said 'screw off' to the southern people who made the sport what it is/was. They priced a lot of people out of attending, they took races away from many of the traditional tracks and put them elsewhere in the country, they took on more drivers who weren't from the south, and basically said 'hey, you rednecks who devoted your lives to us and gave us every entertainment dollar you ever earned...F off'. The whole thing was an attempt to attract more people but it failed.

NASCAR sucks now and the NFL sucks now. Just don't mess with my college football. I might have to hurt you.

True...North Wilkesboro and Rockingham say hello.

Aug 20, 2018, 7:30 PM

They were sacrificed for new 1.5 mile cookie cutter tri-ovals that produce boring results.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

In the end it's all about entertainment, not politics.***

Aug 20, 2018, 12:50 PM

The very thing(s) that made NASCAR great no longer

Aug 20, 2018, 1:03 PM

exist. That was the old rivalry between Detroit auto manufacturers (Ford vs Chevy/GM vs. Mopar), and then how that translated into car sales. Also, there was a time when the race cars had something in common with the cars that were sold to the public.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

AMEN. Change car wrap,

Aug 20, 2018, 2:42 PM

change manufacturer.

Re: AMEN. Change car wrap,

Aug 20, 2018, 2:50 PM

That is idiotic.

No

Aug 20, 2018, 4:35 PM

Making these cars more street 'identical' is absolutely the way to go. Now they fall apart if they barely get touched. The sheet metal on the cars now is something similar to a can of pepsi. In addition to that they have new rules where if you're too damanged you have to park and can't go back out on the track. While the rule is good, the cars fall apart so easily it takes out too many good drivers if they get into a minor accident. Nascar tried too hard to be F1.

It's almost like it's a multi-million dollar corporation that was inherited by a drunk/drugged son/grandson who ran it into the ground....Oh wait..

They need real lights, real metal, and to drive in the rain.

Aug 20, 2018, 6:04 PM [ in reply to The very thing(s) that made NASCAR great no longer ]

If the cars looked different from each other and like the cars on the streets, that would help. Need to use thicker sheet metal so they don't fall apart so easily. And they need to drive in the rain like we have to do. That would be a good start and maybe bring the fans back.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They need real lights, real metal, and to drive in the rain.

Aug 21, 2018, 9:25 AM

driving in the rain or a dirt track would be great!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NASCAR sold out it's base to "grow the brand"

Aug 20, 2018, 2:49 PM

It backfired.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Re: NASCAR sold out it's base to "grow the brand"

Aug 20, 2018, 2:58 PM

I live within 30 minutes of both Darlington and Rockingham. I've been taking Myfavjr. to Darlington for four years (counting this year). Would love for him to see a race at The Rock!

I get the tradition of Rockingham.

Aug 20, 2018, 3:04 PM

I went.. I completely understand shutting that one down. Pit on front and back, the cars spread out, and it was eff'ing FREEZING. lol.. I guess the new rules would prevent the whole spreading out problem though so maybe that would help..

Add to that sitting on a concrete step for 4 hours, and that was my Rockingham experience.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

Re: I get the tradition of Rockingham.

Aug 20, 2018, 3:10 PM

Back in 91, I stayed on the infield just off of turn 1. I froze my tail off too. Had a great time though. Maybe they could race there once every two years or have a truck race or something.

Nascar needs to go to heat races, like small time tracks do

Aug 20, 2018, 3:03 PM

long runs where nothing happens puts people to sleep ... short 25 lap shootouts keep things entertaining.

Re: Nascar needs to go to heat races, like small time tracks do

Aug 20, 2018, 4:23 PM

That’s what they’ve attempted with the stages. It’s worked a little bit. They need to figure out how to keep the cars closer together. The restrictor plate at the all star race earlier this year made it entertaining and then they didn’t use it for the 600.

Re: Nascar needs to go to heat races, like small time tracks do

Aug 20, 2018, 4:39 PM

That's their problem...they've been chasing improving racing with things like restrictor plates, aerodynamic modifications, etc but the real problem is with the cars, tracks, and drivers. They could be racing honda pilots for as much as I care, as long as it isn't the same cookie cutter track layout over and over, the cars don't fall apart after a handful of laps, and the drivers start having more personality (without the fear of nascar trying to protect its own image).

Message was edited by: A912®

Aug 20, 2018, 3:17 PM

It is kinda funny,but when Alabama started winning football games again, NASCAR went down the Toilet...just sayin

But NASCAR doesn't respect the men of the South who

Aug 20, 2018, 3:44 PM

volunteered to served when their country was invaded.

Aug 20, 2018, 3:57 PM

Not one person has boycotted the national anthem, if you are going to comment on it at least know what you are talking about.

Aug 20, 2018, 4:35 PM

you don't call players not going out on the field or staying in the locker room for the National Anthem a boycott? And if I'm right, they have even mentioned the word "boycott".

Aug 20, 2018, 4:42 PM

I do not, and you shouldn't either. This movement was never protesting the flag or the anthem, you know this but you twist it to for reasons unknown to me.

Aug 20, 2018, 4:59 PM

ok. whatever.

Regardless of politics, nobody cares about anthem status

Aug 20, 2018, 4:52 PM

All this hand wringing from both sides amounts to a bunch of tiddly squat. Fools that say they will boycott football ... won't.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic