Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watched a little bit of 1st half of Va Tech vs ODU game....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

Watched a little bit of 1st half of Va Tech vs ODU game....

Sep 27, 2017, 9:49 AM

Ferrell, Bryant, Wilkins and Dex can completely control this game. Young Jackson will get rattled easy and we can keep their O off the field.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL4Heisman

Re: Watched a little bit of 1st half of Va Tech vs ODU game....

Sep 27, 2017, 10:47 AM

Bad gauge of a team considering the vanilla-ness that a lot of teams play with when the game isnt ever in doubt. Just like Clemson didnt cut loose the whole playbook until the 4th when it was tied 7-7. By your logic, then VT can easily stop clemson's run game since BC shut it down in the first half.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think a freshman qb is going to get rattled and make

Sep 27, 2017, 10:48 AM

mistakes

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Re: i think a freshman qb is going to get rattled and make

Sep 27, 2017, 10:56 AM

Josh doesnt really get rattled. He is a redshirt freshman and has only made one mistake this year and that was trying to get greedy on a curl route last week. He will be okay. Not saying he will light it up, but I dont see him making mistakes.

You haven't faced what you're about to face.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:01 AM

On Saturday night around midnight, if he still hasn't been rattled, you can crow (or whatever noise genderless turkeys make) then.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: You haven't faced what you're about to face.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:07 AM

This Clemson team isnt as good as last years team and no sane fan can say otherwise. That is a misconception that the "Hokie" is a castrated turkey. The word Hokie started out as a yell and was developed into a "superbird" in the later years.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:10 AM

Same thing week after week... Opposing fans come to troll, make bold claims, and then are nowhere to be found Sunday morning.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2017, 11:12 AM

not coming to troll. come to have football conversation with people. I will be back on sunday win or loss. even if we get our teeth kicked in i will be back on here giving props where props are due. I dont believe it will be a rout either way.

Sep 27, 2017, 1:06 PM

What teeth?

Sep 27, 2017, 1:47 PM

A full mouth of teeth. Are you looking in the mirror? Blacksburg and Clemson are very similar in terms of a lot of farms around and a smaller town.

Sep 27, 2017, 2:18 PM

I truly thought he was talking about turkey teeth.

Birds dont have teeth

Sep 27, 2017, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: You haven't faced what you're about to face. ]

part 2

The defense is better this year.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: You haven't faced what you're about to face. ]

Which is the premise of the thread about your your QB who won't be able to handle all the pressure.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The defense is better this year.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:13 AM

how is your defense better this year? You lost your best linebacker and best DB.

Best LB is subjective

Sep 27, 2017, 11:22 AM

Ben Boulware was the heart of the defense last year, but he had extreme deficiencies when it came to athleticism, specifically in pass coverage. We are much better in that area now, which is big considering how much Fuente exploited that last year. Losing O'Daniel hurt us big time once Fuente could start picking on two LB's instead of one. Despite losing Tankersley on one side, our secondary is definitely improved. That being said, our depth will be tested if 3 of our top 4 corners are out. But, even if they are out, it will still be the best secondary VT has faced so far. Luckily, the secondary won't have to guard very long considering the DL is ferocious this year and improved over last season. Overall, the defense is definitely better than last season. Player development is key to reloading.

Re: Best LB is subjective

Sep 27, 2017, 11:35 AM

okay. nice breakdown. I am interested to see the defense is that is the case. So Clemson has some injuries in the secondary? I saw one player was in the concussion protocol. We just lost one of our safeties for the year.

I would recommend you go back and watch the Auburn and

Sep 27, 2017, 3:09 PM

Louisville games this year. Defensive domination.

TL4Heisman

We also had a DT playing DE last year

Sep 27, 2017, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Best LB is subjective ]

We've upgraded speed at Dline and LB.

I don't care what that bird is. It's a bird.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Re: You haven't faced what you're about to face. ]

What is it with schools that have birds for mascots? #########.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't care what that bird is. It's a bird.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:36 AM

I dont know. There is only one Hokie. There are sooooo many Tigers. See, it can go both ways. :)

I want to like VPI. You seem like nice people.

Sep 27, 2017, 12:30 PM

But ever since your ###### band blared their Hokie song during pre-game when our Alma Mater was being sung, I can't.

Re: I want to like VPI. You seem like nice people.

Sep 27, 2017, 2:35 PM

Get a grip man!! You are so bent out of shape over the band playing during your school song. Let's talk football!!

Why would even one team use a turkey as a mascot?***

Sep 27, 2017, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't care what that bird is. It's a bird. ]

Why would even one team use a turkey as a mascot?***

Sep 27, 2017, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't care what that bird is. It's a bird. ]

Sep 27, 2017, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: You haven't faced what you're about to face. ]

Our defense is better. We have more depth an talent at running back. Kelly Bryant is no slouch. We may be better than last year.

Nobody on here has said otherwise. However, one could argue

Sep 27, 2017, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Re: You haven't faced what you're about to face. ]

that our defense is better. Which is what the OP was about....tighten that chin strap Joshy!

TL4Heisman

Sep 27, 2017, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Re: You haven't faced what you're about to face. ]

No sane football fan could think VT will hang with us for long. Amirite?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

he will be the first qb in history not to get rattled

Sep 27, 2017, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Re: i think a freshman qb is going to get rattled and make ]

Tom Brady should take note

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

You are going to have to help me understand...

Sep 27, 2017, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: i think a freshman qb is going to get rattled and make ]

Josh Jackson seems like a good kid with a decent head for football, but for you to say "Josh doesn't really get rattled." is a bit presumptuous. The best defense you have faced this season is WVU and let's be honest, the only good thing about that program right now is Will Grier. How can you be sure he "doesn't really get rattled" when he has faced NOTHING close to what he will see staring at him on Saturday.

I will be the first to eat crow if he stands in that pocket, takes his licks, and plays mistake free football this Saturday...but I just cannot possibly seeing this being a career game for him. I wish him the best of luck, but if I am being honest with you and myself...he is DESPERATELY going to need all the luck he can get.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIGER BALLS.

Re: You are going to have to help me understand...

Sep 27, 2017, 11:09 AM

The coaches even stated in practice when the 1s were against the 1s that he didnt get rattled. Up to this point, he has remained poised and his stats certainly reflect that. He throws the ball away when there is nothing there and other than one pass he hasnt forced the issue.

Your 1s do not = our 1s on defense.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:32 AM

That's what I'm saying. I mean zero offense to your defense, nor do I mean offense to a promising young talent in Jackson...but I do mean offense to your assessment of the situation VT finds themselves in.

Josh Jackson statistics through 4 games:
1127 yards passing
11 Touchdowns
1 Interception
75 for 115 (65.2% passing)

Defensive Rankings of Opponents through 4 games:
West Virginia ranked 110 in total Defense
Delaware (Unranked due to being an FCS school)
East Carolina is LITERALLY RANKED LAST, 130 in total Defense
Old Dominion ranked 105 in total Defense

Clemson is ranked 13 in total defense. We have also faced the 6th ranked Offense and held them to 21 points and over 150 yards less than their average. You still want to talk more football? At least come at me with some actual arguments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIGER BALLS.

Re: Your 1s do not = our 1s on defense.

Sep 27, 2017, 1:20 PM

Actually, we are #3 in total defense, not 13.
Also #2 in sacks.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

Sep 27, 2017, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Re: You are going to have to help me understand... ]

Your 1s in practice < our 2s on Saturday.

Period

null

Sep 27, 2017, 3:25 PM

I know you can come up with something better than that. So hows your 2s better than our 1s when our 1s are going to beat your 1s saturday night? :)

Sep 27, 2017, 2:40 PM [ in reply to You are going to have to help me understand... ]

I would agree. Josh has done quite well for a RS freshman but he hasn't faced a defense the caliber of Clemson. And he will likely not face another D this year (sans the ACCCG if we make it) as good as Clemson.

One thing I'm fairly certain he won't do is force plays and make the dumb mistakes that typical young QB's commit. He's a huge upgrade as a passer and decision maker versus Jerod Evans. What he doesn't have (even though he's decently elusive) is Evans' running ability. He's not a shake and bake guy that's built for the pounding. The fact he's still young doesn't help matters.

Like I said in another post, the play calling is going to be critical for him to have success. If our OC can put him in positions to have some success, he can be an effective passer.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: i think a freshman qb is going to get rattled and make ]

> Josh doesnt really get rattled. He is a redshirt
> freshman and has only made one mistake this year and
> that was trying to get greedy on a curl route last
> week. He will be okay. Not saying he will light it
> up, but I dont see him making mistakes.

I don't mean to be condescending but he has literally played NO ONE. West Virginia is your typical Big 12 team; they have the #106-ranked D (out of 129 teams) in FBS football, allowing 451.0 yards per game.

Old Dominion is in their first season in FBS. They rank #97 of 129 teams, allowing 425.0 yards per game.

Delaware is FCS. They aren't even at the level of those 129 FBS teams and only carry 63 scholarships to FBS's 85.

Oh, and ECU. They're dead last of those 129. They allow 624.8 yards per game and are pace to set all kind of records. None of them good.

So, if your Top-25 teams are the "A" level defenses, the next 25 your "B" level, VT has faced two teams from the "F" category (one of them dead last in all of football), an FCS team below even that, and Old Dominion - with one of the lowest-possible "D-minus" grades would be the best defense you have faced.

Clemson? Clemson ranks third overall in FBS, allowing just 227.0 yards per game...and this is after facing Auburn, BC, and Louisville, one of the most explosive offenses in football. That's an "A-plus" defense and maybe the most frightening defensive front in college football.

I know VT can only play who is scheduled but that is as massive a jump in level of competition and pace of play as is literally possible in college football.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:21 AM

ODU is in their 2nd season as FBS and West Virginia is not a good defensive team. they are okay. Clemson has played some offensively anemic teams so far this year as well. Kent State, Auburn, and BC are all bad offensively. The only offensive team that Clemson played was Louisville and they are pretty much a one man show. Both teams have inflated stats due to competition. I dont go by competition level to gauge whether he was poised or not. I simply go by when he has had pressure, he has remained calm and either completed a pass or threw it away. He isnt really taking unneccessary sacks. That is all.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:38 AM

> ODU is in their 2nd season as FBS and West Virginia
> is not a good defensive team. they are okay. Clemson
> has played some offensively anemic teams so far this
> year as well. Kent State, Auburn, and BC are all bad
> offensively. The only offensive team that Clemson
> played was Louisville and they are pretty much a one
> man show. Both teams have inflated stats due to
> competition. I dont go by competition level to gauge
> whether he was poised or not. I simply go by when he
> has had pressure, he has remained calm and either
> completed a pass or threw it away. He isnt really
> taking unneccessary sacks. That is all.

If you think Auburn is a bad offense I would invite you to play them sometime. If Gus Malzahn gets you on roller skates and gets you moving backwards he will run up 600 yards of offense on you, most of it on the ground. We know. They run pretty much the exact same offense we do (Chad Morris got most of it from Malzahn), but theirs is more run-heavy whereas ours is a lot more sophisticated in the passing game. Auburn actually ranks 68th in total O, and if you take that 117-yard game out of the equation they had against us (that's right, they got 117 total yards...all game!), War Eagle would average 509.0 yards per game...which would put them at 13th overall...two spots ahead of you guys, who are averaging 507.3 yards per game against significantly worse competition.

Louisville is 8th overall, even after they played us, at 550.3 yard per game. They only got 403 against us, more than half of it in garbage time because Petrino, as he does, kept his first-stringers in while we were emptying the bench and playing our third team.

Boston College is a bad offense, but they're going to get what they're going to get because while they have zero skill or speed they're still enormous up front, pretty much like they always have been.

So yeah, he may have shown composure, but I watched those games, and nobody was really getting near him on 90% of the throws and VT was literally playing F-level (or below) competition.

He will be jumping up literally four and a half grades from anything he's seen, into the pressure cooker of a night game with ESPN Gameday parked overhead and the pressure cranked up to 11. It's just too much. If he had been tested, if he had faced some kind of live bullets, maybe, but you just can't prep for a D and a situation like that by playing the fluffiest of cupcakes and expect the kid to do anything but die ugly.

He's pationate, just not rational***

Sep 27, 2017, 11:39 AM

Sep 27, 2017, 10:56 AM [ in reply to i think a freshman qb is going to get rattled and make ]

On paper, we don't really stand much of a chance to win. Anybody that knows anything about these two teams would understand why most people would pick Clemson to win and do it convincingly. But, as we saw last year, games can take weird twists to where the underdog actually has a real chance to win it in the end. That's just college football.

I was reading some article and it said Clemson was 70% plus likely to win Saturday night. A pretty fair estimate IMO. I, like most Hokie fans, am not expecting a W for a variety of reasons....lack of depth on D (particularly the Dline), Clemson's Dline being so strong, not having an established run game, lack of experienced depth at the receiver position. But again, that's why they play the games

If Clemson plays mistake free football, we win big.

Sep 27, 2017, 11:02 AM

If not, anything goes. Hokies should pray that their Metallica album, rattling keys and Aladdin lunch boxes make a difference.

Big difference b/w BC and ODU.***

Sep 27, 2017, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Watched a little bit of 1st half of Va Tech vs ODU game.... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Big difference b/w BC and ODU.***

Sep 27, 2017, 11:22 AM

ODU would probably beat BC. BC is not very good. Just look at who their OC is. He is terrible.

Sep 27, 2017, 2:45 PM

No they wouldn't and that is with OD having their best player, Ray Lawry. You know the running back y'all did not have to face. BC beat Northern Illinois this year, which is definitely better than OD. Northern Illinois has had a solid D1 Group of 5 team for about six year's, now. They had one off year during that time, mostly injury related. You will get your chance with BC and their "terrible" OC soon enough, though. BC is having injuries along the O-Line. I think 2 or 3 O-linemen got hurt against us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2017, 3:27 PM

Same ole BC as last year. 49-0 that could have easily been 63 if starters played in the 4th quarter at all.

Sep 27, 2017, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Big difference b/w BC and ODU.*** ]

Can't say I agree either, tbh. Looking at the S&P+, the only slight advantage OD has over BC is offense, but there's a bigger differential between their defenses than their offenses.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa2017

Sep 27, 2017, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Watched a little bit of 1st half of Va Tech vs ODU game.... ]

"Just like Clemson didnt cut loose the whole playbook until the 4th when it was tied 7-7."

VT guy does not understand CLEMSON football. He will understand much better Saturday night.

Sep 27, 2017, 2:14 PM

So in other words, if yall dont win we can call this game "clemsoning"?

Sep 27, 2017, 2:18 PM

it's abundantly clear you don't know football

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Sep 27, 2017, 2:33 PM

I know football in and out. What about that tells you I dont know about football?

Sep 27, 2017, 2:38 PM

for starters, the defense here is better than last year. not sure how you don't know that considering that's all any pundit talks about. and you best realize, like notre dame realizes, that bc will knock the #### out of you - win or lose. you don't beat a bunch of pushovers and then pretend you can just up and beat bc. we are so much smarter than that. we recognize you can lose to an inferior opponent - vt for example is an inferior opponent to clemson - that's not even up for debate - and still win the national championship. on the flip side, clemson is your national championship game.

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Sep 27, 2017, 3:23 PM

high and mighty much? reminiscent of the miami fans of old...

clemson is our national title game? as a quick reminder... Clemson won the national title LAST year. This year, you still have some work to do.. as do the Hokies.

Sep 27, 2017, 3:25 PM

considering we have played the toughest schedule in the country and are undefeated - nah

and - we have a little less work to do

but keep on keeping on

Sep 27, 2017, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Watched a little bit of 1st half of Va Tech vs ODU game.... ]

This is the biggest game of the year for both teams. BC is soft. Notre Dame ran for over 500 yards against them.

Sep 27, 2017, 3:34 PM

no - its not

Sep 27, 2017, 4:02 PM

ESPN says otherwise. Do you listen to ESPNU radio on sirius? Or just tiger radio? VT is the highest ranked opponent Clemson will have faced at this time. Louisville was 14th and Auburn 13th, VT is 12th so tell me how it isnt.

Sep 27, 2017, 4:06 PM

S&P+ says he's right....seeing Auburn is ranked higher than VT at every single spot. ^_^

Do you do advanced statistics?

Sep 27, 2017, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Watched a little bit of 1st half of Va Tech vs ODU game.... ]

i am more concerned with nc state in raleigh. vt - not so much. doesn't mean we can't lose to anyone. we could turn the ball over 5 times and keep your inferior team in ballgame for a chance in the 4th qtr. straight up and no mistakes, you are no match. louisville would run all over you

Is Dex healthy?***

Sep 27, 2017, 10:59 AM

Sep 27, 2017, 11:09 AM

Our O and D have been typically slow to get started in games this year. A few say that is by design to feel teams out. I just think Fuente has been holding his cards close. But if we are slow against you guys, it's going to be a long day with no catch up like last year. We haven't played anybody in your league, but if we can get through this game win or lose looking decent, we have a chance to claim our Division and play you again in December. If you give us an #### whoopin', then it's back to the drawing board for this season.

Sep 27, 2017, 2:08 PM

VT can't afford a slow start, that goes without saying. Given our opponents to date, I believe Fuente has gone with a vanilla offensive game plan more often than not. Why put all your cards out there when you don't have too, and.. it gave Jackson some time to get his feet under him. He's played well, and now the big test awaits. He's a student of the game, so I think he will take it all in stride regardless of the outcome... and in no way do I think it's back to the drawing board if VT takes the L.

Clemson is on top, reigning ACC and National Champs... obviously coming off a history making season. They deserve a lot of credit for taking it all last year. This year however, is a new year. Kelly could be another great QB, very similar to Watson, but he's not there yet. He's got that mobility factor that makes me nervous, all those QBs do, but... In Bud I trust. If there's a way to get under Kelly's skin and rattle him, force him into a mistake, or two.. that's when an away game with a crazy crowd can make a difference. I think the VT defense will make a big play or two, historically... that's what they do.

The key and difference maker in this game boils down to how the VT OL handles the Clemson front 7.

Sep 27, 2017, 3:32 PM

The key difference maker in this game is your D against the Clemson offense. You better trust in Bud a lot, because I watched you get drug up and down the field by WVU (the only decent offense you faced) to the tune of almost 600 yards. You better get that figured out, if Kelly gets any time it will be a long night.

Your o line won’t handle our front seven, period.

Sep 27, 2017, 2:05 PM

We will be just fine in this game.
The Tigers will control from the get go because VT will not score much.
I think it's a close game with VT getting a junk TD late to make it look closer than it really was.
I say 24-13 with the Tigers leading 17-3 at half .
It will be just like the Auburn game but we score a few more points.
In control in the second half and very conservative play calling.

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic