Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: What will the linebacker depth chart look like with the departure of Shaq Smith?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

TNET: What will the linebacker depth chart look like with the departure of Shaq Smith?

May 15, 2019, 2:09 PM

What will the linebacker depth chart look like with the departure of Shaq Smith?

Clemson linebacker Shaq Smith has entered his name into the NCAA’s Transfer Portal, affecting the Tigers’ defensive depth chart heading into next fall. Who will step up and earn snaps? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: What will the linebacker depth chart look like with the departure of Shaq Smith?

May 15, 2019, 2:28 PM

Starters: Simmons / Skalski / Chad Smith
2's: Spector / Venables / Jones
All rookies after that.
Injury Bug Not Welcomed.

Vonta Bentley.Mike Jones.Simmons.Skalski.Smith

May 15, 2019, 9:51 PM

Venables. I like your list for starters! I don't have a ton of concern with LB. The newest recruit we have in the fold I want to see the most is a LB. Vonta Bentley! He plays all out and has speed like a RB. System knowledge will be the only thing(barring any injury....knock on wood) keeping him off the field. I expect to see this kid play a bunch later in the season!
Mike Jones and Venables will both have to step up and play a bunch. They have had a year on campus and should now be ready! Can you imagine that conversation if he didn't run the play over dinner, LOL! J/K!
But, I would love to have Shaq Smith - but I think we are fine.

More than his play - many an interview of teammates of his referred to him as a leader on the team. We will miss that! KJ Henry a Sophomore I think is the next more vocal; unless another Sophomore steps up(DK who is also vocal).

Go Tigers! I too can't wait to see how Coach V has these guys situated come opening night! I feel we will be top 10 again; because the raw athleticism coach has to work with is outstanding. He has proven over and over all he needs is some - beast to work with! He will put them in position to make plays; they just have to be beast! Tigers have that plus some!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: What will the linebacker depth chart look like with the departure of Shaq Smith?

May 15, 2019, 3:20 PM

I always liked Skalski. The kid has a nose for the football and LB should be fine if no injuries

May 15, 2019, 4:53 PM

Skalski= Boulware 2.0 I'm definitely ok with that

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2019, 5:49 PM

Venables says Skalski goes after people with bad intentions!! -:D

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Happy to see Chad Smith getting the possible start

May 15, 2019, 3:36 PM

I remember he was pretty active getting some of the other big names on board in class. Can’t wait to see our shiny, new Defense!

Re: Happy to see Chad Smith getting the possible start

May 15, 2019, 8:39 PM

I recall that as well! He's definitely been "All IN" the whole time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2019, 4:52 PM

WTH is going on with all this transferring nonsense. If this kid is gonna be "it" why is the motivation to leave the NUMBER ONE TEAM IN THE COUNTRY??? Someone please clue me in...

May 15, 2019, 5:32 PM

I’m not going to speculate here, I will leave that up to others. However, this makes no sense based on information coming out of camp. There is something else to this story and I am very curious what it might be. Why would he leave such an ideal situation? I know we are going to be fine no matter what so for now I am content to wait for more information...

May 15, 2019, 5:43 PM

I've got no problem with someone leaving if they aren't happy or whatever. Its hard to imagine a guy like this who has close to zero impact thus far going elsewhere and being a key performer with an entirely new team just like that. At some point some of these guys have to face the reality that they aren't going to get paid to play football on Sundays.

Was he P.O.ed because of getting beat out, I thought he was

May 15, 2019, 6:19 PM

a starter? Did Feaster and K.B. influence him?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was he P.O.ed because of getting beat out, I thought he was

May 15, 2019, 7:09 PM

Don’t believe the other two had anything to do with it. Might just be a girlfriend breakup or something or he felt he didn’t like his after spring evaluation?

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

There’s got to be more to this story... hopefully we’ll find out.***

May 15, 2019, 7:32 PM

Re: There’s got to be more to this story... hopefully we’ll find out.***

May 16, 2019, 5:12 PM

Why does it matter if the fans ever know why? It could be anything, and be totally not related to anything Clemson could control. Some things might be kept confidential. Unless he starts publicly criticizing Clemson, I do not care. He knows why, and Dabo likely does as well. I kind of like it when Clemson player decisions and problems are kept private. I think sometimes us fans are just nosy. If he and the other Clemson players and coaches stay mum about it, I will assume it is for personal reasons they understand. Usually hearing a lot about such things is not a good thing. I really liked Kelly Bryant, but he talked too much for just a little while. I still hope he has some success, but I would be pulling harder for him if he had handled the hard decision Dabo made better. Dabo's responsibility to the team was paramount, and I think the results of the decision speaks for itself. Even some who were upset at Dabo know that now.

Re: There’s got to be more to this story... hopefully we’ll find out.***

May 16, 2019, 6:32 PM

Agreed. You can't get upset with these young people. Many of them are maybe getting some bad advice or have people in their ear who had "all but spent the money, they would get one day by being a high draft pick" for them! So, that person or persons give them selfish advice. It happens. You can't be mad. As you said, "just leave without dogging the program or coaches"! Leave with some respect for yourself and the program you helped build/maintain.
I think he is leaving to be closer to "his dad"! Or rather the closest thing do a dad he ever had(to my understanding, tell me if that is wrong).
To some people; nothing at all comes before family! To others; family can wait! Everybody is different.

I agree - "We Too Deep" at this point for these departures to kill us! When you have 3rd string players who would go to certain p5 teams and "start" you aren't doing bad! My bet is Shaq Smith will leave and go "recruit for Clemson"!
By that I mean, "he will reference his time so much despite the fact he is playing for Maryland(probably). Or wherever he lands! I don't think judging by his interviews that he has any animosity toward the team, coaches or university! Quite the opposite probably; so good luck to him!

Go Tigers!

We Too Deep!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 15, 2019, 8:37 PM

What are you thinking Shaq???
Just the same.....good luck.

May 15, 2019, 9:58 PM

Probably headed to Maryland cause his former coach got hired there. His evaluation from the coaches after the spring game must not have been positive.

Re: TNET: What will the linebacker depth chart look like with the departure of Shaq Smith?***

May 15, 2019, 10:23 PM

Telling that Skalski and Chad Smith both played in the Natty

May 16, 2019, 1:37 AM

Don't think Shaq did. If he did, he didn't log any tackles.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Linebacker depth chart

May 24, 2018, 12:56 PM

Shaq was a 4 star according to 247 site. Looking at his overall performance at Clemson on the field he wasn't a play maker. He played in 10 games in '18 with 16 tackles including assists and ranking him 21st overall in the defensive Tackles & Fumbles. He played in only 6 games the year before. Overall he had better performance early in the year than later.

It's likely his decision is based on not moving up in playing order for snaps so as an upcoming Junior now it's his time to move to a team where he might get more chances to play.

So You're Saying That There's ZERO Impact

May 16, 2019, 4:42 PM

At this point, it does not matter which single player leaves the program. We're loaded at every position except for DT. We're still very deep at LB, and those who are inexperienced will be fully seasoned by Game 6 of this upcoming season. So when we enter the Playoff again it's another easy win. I'll say this again.... The real reason why Dabo was so excited after the win in Kyle Field ie College Station last year was because he played our back ups for most of the second half and we still won in a hostile environment. I predict that we will build a ton of depth again this year and if everyone is coached to par then we won't lose a single game again this season.

15-0 LET'S DREAM AGAIN! GO TIGERS!

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

May 17, 2019, 1:50 PM

Always a back story and we rarely get it - as someone said in here, a lot of it confidential material. Still this on is more odd than Feaster - unless reports on what a great spring he had and that he was set to have a major impact are exaggerated. I wish him luck and on we go. As exciting as last year was with everyone coming back (and they were a special group that we won't see again for a while on and off the field), I'm excited to see the new edition and new faces this year! Time to watch a new group grow up in front of our eyes - a great part of college football.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic