Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Was everyone this excited when Deshaun came in?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Was everyone this excited when Deshaun came in?

Jul 3, 2018, 5:09 PM

I don't remember there being a big portion of the fan base calling for him to start from day 1. Maybe it was because he got hurt and the hype would have been unreal if he hadn't, but I remember everyone being excited about 3 and out Stoudt because of the limited action that we got to see him in.

And now, we have a QB who took us to an ACC championship, playoffs, but lost to the eventual national champions, and everyone is calling for Lawrence from day 1. Stoudt was awful and people stood behind him, but now everyone is beyond ready to get rid of KB.

Just seems weird to me. KB is so much better than what Stoudt was.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The difference is that Deshaun didn't break

Jul 3, 2018, 5:11 PM

Trevor Lawrence's high school records.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: The difference is that Deshaun didn't break

Jul 3, 2018, 5:13 PM

Trevor is further along than Deshaun at the same Freshman level. No doubt KB is ahead of Cole and would be a darn good starter for most P5 teams. However, you don’t sit a talent like TL.

Is this a fake thread, or news?

Jul 3, 2018, 5:23 PM

Seriously? DW4 was ALL the talk when he came in...with the spring injury the only issue that tempered expectations. To my recollection, there was all the belief he was going to take Clemson to the Natty, until the injuries.

Let's really put this in perspective (at least in my view): DW4 is why folks ARE so excited about TL. They're generational talents, TL is physically further along...and, most of all, the fact TL broke DW4's records only fans the flames of possibilities.

That's my take.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ Attorney "logic" ^^^***

Jul 4, 2018, 7:25 AM [ in reply to The difference is that Deshaun didn't break ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^ Attorney "logic" ^^^***

Jul 4, 2018, 11:44 AM

Did you just cuss me out?!? ;) Attorney logic?

Doesn’t understand the concept of time.***

Jul 4, 2018, 11:46 AM [ in reply to The difference is that Deshaun didn't break ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Was everyone this excited when Deshaun came in?

Jul 3, 2018, 5:24 PM

People are just afraid that KB wont be able to make the big throws when needed down the stretch to another potential championship. Some of it was on the OL's inability to create space for KB to work and the running backs inability to block, but the onus was on KB to pull the team through by making ridiculous throws to pull them out of the massive hole they fell into. We've watched other teams, namely UGA and Alabama, use freshman qb's with arm talent and running ability to win.

KB is a gamer but we all, including him, know that he needs to step up in the passing game to make it more complete. He CANT lead the team in carries this season again. We were too one dimensional at times, and it made it relatively easy for opposing defenses to key in on what was going on pre-snap. If KB improves in the passing game, which I believe he should, we won't be having this debate come fall.

Jul 3, 2018, 7:07 PM

Being able to get the ball out quickly also slows down the D.... being able to throw deep keeps them from crowding the line and sending 8-9...nobody can block that.... just sayin

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jul 3, 2018, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Was everyone this excited when Deshaun came in? ]

Being able to get the ball out quickly also slows down the D.... being able to throw deep keeps them from crowding the line and sending 8-9...nobody can block that.... just sayin

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jul 3, 2018, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Was everyone this excited when Deshaun came in? ]

Facts of Kelly Bryant:

ACC Championship Game - Completed first 15 passes of the game
Lop sided win in a huge game
Threw for 254 yards/ 7.5 per attempt/ 10.2 per completion
Total offense of 331 yards in 75 plays
No interceptions

Receivers caught the ball which did NOT happen in the semi-final game
Offensive line and running backs blocked in this game and did NOT in semi-final
game
The facts are he deserved better from his team in the semi-final game to give
him a chance to win!

NET YARDS PASSING 254
Completions-Attempts-Int 14-29-2 25-34-0
Average Per Attempt 7.5
Average Per Completion 10.2
Passing Touchdowns 1
TOTAL OFFENSIVE YARDS 331
Total offensive plays 75
Average Gain Per Play 4.4
Fumbles: Number-Lost 3-1
Penalties: Number-Yards 2-13

Trevor Lawerence or Deshaun Watson could have done no better with the support Kelly received.

Jul 4, 2018, 10:34 PM

I'm sorry...there's KB doesn't compare to DW4 and TL. He doesn't. "But"...he doesn't.

a guy named waterboy not know what he is talking about

Jul 5, 2018, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Was everyone this excited when Deshaun came in? ]

lol

My take is last year's team had 3 1st team O-linemen

Jul 5, 2018, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Was everyone this excited when Deshaun came in? ]

Unsure Clemson has ever had that distinction. So I do not buy into last year was a poor O-line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our 2015 offensive line was all first year starters yet we

Jul 5, 2018, 3:47 PM

still went to the natty and had bama on the ropes. It is KB's inability to keep the defense on their toes with the passing game is the difference between he and watson. Lawrence is a potentially a NC level, first round draft talent, KB is not. It's that simple.

I was. I knew he was going to be the best we ever had.

Jul 3, 2018, 5:36 PM

I know TL will be top 2 we ever had at worst.

Re: I was. I knew he was going to be the best we ever had.

Jul 3, 2018, 7:17 PM

Same

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was, we had been waiting for 3 years***

Jul 3, 2018, 5:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2018, 6:10 PM

I wasn't for a couple of reasons.

Trevor had more national hype. Part that had to do with breaking Watson's record which grew greatly in significance thanks to Watson's success here and in the pros. It was a hugely important record thanks to DW. The other part of that is, and maybe this is faulty memory, that I saw more of Trevor's high school games on national TV.

The other reason is that while I did have high hopes for DW, they were tempered by his injury history in HS and then here. That was compounded by the fact he was (and still is apparently) prone to non-contact injuries, which was compounded by his slight build- I was quite fearful he would be able to withstand college level hits.

Injury History in HS?

Jul 3, 2018, 7:16 PM

He tore his meniscus in his next to last HS game. Was he slight in build...yeah, a bit. Regardless, you don't set state HS records being injury-prone. The broken finger was a fluke injury, if ever there was. Back in the day for Joe21 it wouldn't have happened...real men didn't wear face masks...or real helmets, for that matter! ;)

Regardless, DW4 was and is an incredible talent...and with fortune, he'll have a long career! TL, with similar fortune, is about to take the Tigers on another 'Fantastic Voyage' over the next few years.

Jul 3, 2018, 6:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ou_6nweow8

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes, fell in love right here^^^***

Jul 3, 2018, 7:00 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2018, 7:16 PM

Yes

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2018, 7:21 PM

I think that was bc of DW4's size when he come in!!!

Think you answered your own question...

Jul 3, 2018, 8:28 PM

...DW4 suffered a "slight" crack in his collarbone during a freshman year Spring scrimmage. So that certainly tempered the expectations somewhat. Had that not happened, the hype would have reached TL proportions and I'm guessing DW4 would have started. I think most accepted Cole starting the year due to that injury and the coaches made the best of it. But, everyone knew DW4 was the future sooner rather than later. Good question though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Jul 3, 2018, 8:31 PM

It really isn't about Stoudt's ability. It's about TL's, and they are light years apart.

Jul 3, 2018, 10:42 PM

Everyone was excited about DW4, but it doesn’t come close to the level of hype that TL is receiving. And that’s for a number of reasons.

1) Clemson fans hadn’t seen what a Cole Stoudt offense would look like because he was a 3 year backup to the most productive QB in school history.

2) Chad Kelly was still on the roster and many Clemson fans, myself included, were still optimistic about his chances to become the starter of Stoudt.

3) DW4 became the best QB in Clemson history. He was a high school legend in the state of Georgia. Trevor Lawrence broke all of his records.

4) Dabo said that, from a physical standpoint, TL is way ahead of where DW4 was.

5) TL’s pass to Tee Higgins in the spring game was a thing of beauty.

6) Georgia’s Jake Fromm led them to a SEC championship and the national title game as a true freshman. Tua Tagovailoa came in after halftime and led Alabama to a comeback against Georgia as a true freshman.

7) Finally, and most importantly, Kelly Bryant was underwhelming last year. His weakness as a passer shined throughout the season. The offense wasn’t as explosive because he wasn’t very good.

Folks were even more excited about DW imho***

Jul 4, 2018, 1:07 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 4, 2018, 1:54 AM

One of the biggest differences is the talent on the rest of the CU team. Everyone was over the moon about the potential of DW4. Everyone wants TL to start right now because our talent can win right now.

Jul 4, 2018, 9:25 AM

Here is how I see it. TL will only be here 3 years. If he starts early he will be better more quickly. Looking back, wouldn’t you have started DW4 against UGA? I would have.

Jul 5, 2018, 3:52 PM

Yep Lawrence is the future. I'd much rather him start this season and maybe lose 1 or 2 games due to freshman mistakes than have KB start and lose 1 or 2 games (including playoffs). IF KB starts this year that means TL will start next year will little experience which sucks because 2019/2020 are for sure potential national championship seasons

I believe TL will be a better as a freshman than DW was.

Jul 4, 2018, 10:03 AM

I don't believe he will start but I honestly don't believe Dabo can go wrong however he handles working TL into the lineup. I think Dabo will hold him back a bit. Perhaps it will be two or three games before Dabo believes that TL has proven to himself that the stage isn't too big for him and settles into the role.

Imo, it would be fine to throw him in the mix. Dabo didn't deal with DW that way. He either didn't have command of the playbook or didn't have his self-confidence established soon enough.

Maybe Dabo is just playing this safe to assure there's no mistakes. It may be Dabo's self confidence and not the kids'.

I don't care.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Almost, but

Jul 4, 2018, 5:41 PM

we have even more talent on both sides now.

Yes, everyone was just as excited and Yes, a large

Jul 4, 2018, 10:51 PM

portion of the fan base wanted him to start right away. Three years, two ACC Championships, two CFP appearances, three wins over South Carolina, two semi-final victories in Orange and Fiesta, two national championship game appearances, one national championship and two Heisman ceremony appearances later, I can sum up Watson's entire time here in two words by borrowing the headline from the Gainesville,Georgia newspaper the day after we won the national championship.

DESHAUN DELIVERED!!!!!!!!!!!

May God always bless Dshaun Watson.

Deshaun Watson***

Jul 4, 2018, 10:52 PM

Stoudt was actually not awful and he dropped the mic on

Jul 4, 2018, 11:02 PM

Oklahoma and Clemson fans, especially me, with the incredible performance in the 40-6 waxing of Oklahoma. He was brilliant in that game and he was a fantastic representative of Clemson, always smiling through the criticism he came under. He carried himself with pure class.

But he truly dropped the mic on everyone and Oklahoma in that finale and was always happy for Clemson fans. It was not a told you so vibe from him at any point. Just a big grin for Clemson and the win.

Yes, of course we were just as excited to have DW4***

Jul 5, 2018, 3:53 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

DW4 and HJ came in with comparable player ratings

Jul 5, 2018, 3:54 PM

# 16-17 ESPN in overall class ratings. TL came in as #1 in most recruiting rankings and #2 in ESPN. Many including me had high expectations for HJ last year, but he was not given play-time opportunity due to lack of being ready, coach's preference or a lack of maturity. He will do well at NW.

But to the point, this 2018 team's starting line-up is better than the 2015-16 line-ups inherited by DW4, and DW4 deserves lots of credit for that. As Bama defender Jonathan Allen stated, DW4 was the only QB Bama ever faced that stood up to the Bama beat-down with backing down. Without DW4, Clemson doesn not beat Bama, and Clemson does not have the 2016/17 championship. DW4 is the GOAT. And hopefully TL will be Steve Young to DW4's Joe Montana.

Clemson fans understand this year's team is positioned to win it all with standout QB play including the ability to hit clutch vertical passes. Along with TL's #1 ranking and loyal commitment to Tiger Town when every university wanted him, and the D-Line #1 quality, it all brings a sense of urgency to the 2018/19 season that has not existed in many years.

I was concerned DeShauns health would hold him back

Jul 5, 2018, 7:54 PM

But now we have seen how important a great qb is. However I'm still pulling for KB too. I pull for the Tigers not a certain player or even just coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic