Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Was any one a member of the weight lifting club
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 479

Was any one a member of the weight lifting club

Oct 2, 2014, 10:16 AM

aka "The Dungeon" while you were at Clemson?

Just curious since I was involved with it when I was there

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15902504

Message was edited by: CUtiger2012®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Not personally - but I knew a handful of people that were

Oct 2, 2014, 10:18 AM

Dungeon regulars.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was a member and regular frequenter of the Dungeon

Oct 2, 2014, 10:20 AM

But this is the one we took chicks to after TDs/Genoa closed at night.

Prolly not the same "club".

sidenote: Saw a Cadillac this AM w/ the license plate

Oct 2, 2014, 10:24 AM

"ILUVDEM"....dat you?

Yes-I've been known to go 85 on 85 up in my cadillac

Oct 2, 2014, 10:27 AM

Also have been known to be slammin cadillac do's.

No not me though.

Some Outkast would be nice about now...

Oct 2, 2014, 10:35 AM

thanks

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

here's a good article

Oct 2, 2014, 10:41 AM

http://gawker.com/outkast-contextually-1640538602

BTW, Outkast concert was quite good

Oct 2, 2014, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Yes-I've been known to go 85 on 85 up in my cadillac ]

They opened with B.O.B. and the crowd went absolutely apeshit

ever hear the backstory on BOB?

Oct 2, 2014, 10:45 AM

I think big boi spent a minute in the army when we were bombing Iraq and he didn't really agree with the way we went about it. Prolly had some issues with us even doing it in the first place. In either case, he didn't really like it and thought it was silly.

"don't even bang unless you plan to hit some-thang"

He was lol'ing at the US just spraying bombs errywhere.

That's the way I understand it.

CSB

Naw, intradesting story

Oct 2, 2014, 11:00 AM

Bob your head and ragtop...bob your head and ragtop

just found a tl;dr on it

Oct 2, 2014, 11:06 AM

And then came Stankonia in 2000, an album that truly set OutKast apart from other rappers at the time. It was a new style of hip-hop for the new millennium, and it drew heavily from other musical persuasions, blending funk, jazz, hip-hop, and rock in ways that had rarely been attempted before. The self-proclaimed "coolest mother-funkers on the planet" created a whirlwind of a track in "B.O.B.," which combines elements of electro, rock, jungle, gospel, and drum n' bass in such a way as to create something entirely new and unique. The track almost catches the listener off-guard with a double-speed tempo that blasts in at 135 beats per minute. Dré describes this frenzied beat the best in the line, "like a million elephants and silverback orangutans, you can't stop a train." Indeed, it's impossible to stop the moving high-speed train that is "B.O.B." But what exactly is this song about?

That, friends, is the hard part.

The interesting thing about this song is the way in which it has taken on a completely different meaning than was originally intended by Dré and Big Boi, in the wake of the Second Gulf War (Iraq War). It surprises many people to hear that this song was written in 2000 and not 2003. It has led some people to believe that OutKast somehow correctly predicted the course of American foreign policy under the Bush Administration (which hadn't been elected yet when the song was written). That's crazy, of course. In an article that recently accompanied the online music website Pitchfork's list of the top 500 songs of the 2000s (in which "B.O.B." was ranked #1!) the writer makes the claim that OutKast "wound up effectively crafting a fast-forwarded highlight-reel prophecy of what the next 10 years held in store." The phrase at the heart of the chorus, "bombs over Baghdad," "sounded oddly anachronistic in 2000, sadly ubiquitous two and a half years later," the article explains. It's even easier to view André and Big Boi as prophets considering that another track from Stankonia entitled "Gasoline Dreams," features a searing chorus of André exclaiming, "don't everybody like the smell of gasoline? Well burn, motherf-----, burn American dream." The fact of the matter is that it is practically impossible to hear both songs today without connoting images of the War in Iraq.

It's ironic that a song entitled "Bombs Over Baghdad" came out too late to be directly about the First Gulf War and too early to be about the Second Gulf War. The line that accompanies the chorus of "bombs over Baghdad," "don't pull the thang out unless you plan to bang," could be seen as OutKast's simple and straightforward foreign policy mantra. It could even be interpreted as a dig at the George H.W. Bush administration during the First Gulf War, which succeeded in their intended mission to force Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait, but were unable to disable his dictatorial power in Iraq. The aftermath of Operation Desert Storm was that Saddam survived, remained in power, and would repress local rebels in Iraq (an issue that would come back to haunt George W. Bush later in Iraq). Of course, George H.W. Bush was limited in his options considering that the United Nations Security Council's resolution that sanctioned the war only allowed U.S. forces to oust the Iraqi Army from Kuwait. So it could be vaguely plausible to claim that OutKast is making some sort of statement about Operation Desert Storm in "B.O.B."

But still, that would be a pretty huge reach. According to André 3000 himself, he was inspired to use the phrase "bombs over Baghdad" while watching a news report in a London hotel room while touring for Aquemini. He overheard the broadcaster announce, "something, something and 'bombs over Baghdad.'" According to André, "It sounded good. I knew I could use it somewhere." This description is just a little anti-climactic, right? But is it really true that OutKast only used the line "bombs over Baghdad" simply because it sounded good? It's hard to know whether or not we should take André at his word.

But we can deduce that the news report that André overheard most likely had to do with Operation Desert Fox, which saw the United States and United Kingdom bomb several strategic targets in Iraq in an effort to destabilize Saddam Hussein's grip on power in December of 1998. The strikes were officially made because Iraq failed to comply with United States Security Council resolutions and because Saddam interfered with United Nations Special Commission inspectors. André, critical of the way in which the United States handled this, told Rolling Stone: "The U.S. was trying to beat around the bush. We was trying to scare them by bombing the outskirts. If you gonna do anything at all, do it. If you gonna push it, push it."

Listening to "B.O.B" a decade into the 21st century, it is impossible not to think about the more recent Iraq War. It is particularly eerie considering most of us probably remember watching news reports broadcasting images of bombs striking Baghdad in the early stages of the war. It's even odder considering the fact that CNN used the instrumental part of "B.O.B." as a musical bed for their early broadcasts during the Iraq War. (For real!) The truth is that OutKast's "B.O.B." will never be the same song in the post-9/11 era that we live in today as it was when it first came out in 2000.

But just for a moment, let's imagine that we are in the year 2000 - 9/11 hasn't happened yet, and the United States military has not made any incursions into Afghanistan or Iraq. Understanding André and Big Boi's actual intentions for "B.O.B." requires an exercise in forgetting.

André's part in "B.O.B." contains an interesting medley of images that slowly unveils the American urban landscape ("in-slum-national underground") at the turn of the century. He describes the difficulties and also the joys that come with living in the ghetto. André's part in "B.O.B." substantiates the New York Times' characterization of OutKast's music as "gangster rap with a complicated worldview, not just a macho stance." This is a song about living in the hood, but the subject matter doesn't center on riding around in a black Cadillac with 20-inch rims, while donning the freshest, biggest bling. No, instead, André's black Cadillac is filled with a "pack of Pampers." As the Village Voice argues in one article about OutKast, André and and Big Boi's music is a reminder that there is "more than one way to deal with life's s--t... It's easy to misread, say, Cash Money's paper-chasing imagery as not just a reaction to urban decay, but as the only one." André's images of the urban environment describe the ghetto in all its complexities. There's the image of a street thug who now has to deal with the responsibilities of being a father ("black Cadillac and a pack of pampers"). Or then there's the image of a man who is about to start processing cocaine into crack in order to make some money ("a scale and some Arm & Hammer"). Then Dré describes the helplessness he feels when he reads about AIDS or cancer. But there are also more light-hearted images that reveals that though the ghetto may not be a great place to call home, it still is home: "weatherman tellin' us it ain't gon' rain/ so now we sittin' in a drop-top, soakin' wet." Through all the difficulties, Dré keeps a positive attitude. He concludes his verse with, "thoughts at a thousand miles per hour/ hello, ghetto, let your brain breathe/ believe there's always more, ahhhh!" And with that comes one collective release.

Big Boi's part works off of André's verse, adding vignettes about the American urban landscape, while also making the claim that OutKast's music surpasses that of all other rappers. Big Boi explains that "we still stay street" and that "big things happen every time we meet." Moreover, "Stankonia is on ya...pullin' of a belt 'cause a whipping's in order." Big Boi urges the youth to do something positive with their lives; to "make a business for yourself, boy, set some goals/ make a fair diamond out of dusty coals," long before Kanye West ever started rapping about "Diamonds From Sierra Leone."

So we can see that if we can look at "B.O.B." without the obvious distractions caused by America's involvement in Iraq, this OutKast track is really about describing the American ghetto and all its hardships and complexities. The closing chorus of "power music electric revival" almost sounds like a plea for urban revival, because as they explain on the track "Gasoline Dreams," "youth full of fire ain't got nowhere to go." Or it can also be seen as a call for an "electric revival" in hip-hop, because as André explained to the Guardian, "hip-hop don't have no fresh energy. It's money driven, everybody trying to make that check, nobody putting art in their albums any more." Well, OutKast most definitely brought a fresh musical and artistic energy to "B.O.B.," and in the process, called out all of their hip-hop contemporaries who were busy rapping only about their accessories.

That's so weird. I saw a Cadillac

Oct 2, 2014, 11:06 AM [ in reply to sidenote: Saw a Cadillac this AM w/ the license plate ]

on the road today with a Deadhead sticker. A little voice inside my head said "that might be Luvdemtigers".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hey bro?***

Oct 2, 2014, 11:12 AM

Re: Was any one a member of the weight lifting club

Oct 2, 2014, 10:23 AM

Yes, I was... Nothing better than the broken concrete floors with concrete dust floating around. Great place for a hardcore workout.

Great atmosphere if you ask me. Best lifts of my

Oct 2, 2014, 10:24 AM

life happened there.

When were you a member?

Brother-in-law was. He still wears a Dungeon shirt

Oct 2, 2014, 10:27 AM

from time to time although it has close to 100 holes in it and the sleeves are ripped off. I think he refuses to admit hes in his mid thirties.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

If he wanted newer ones I think I could get a few for him***

Oct 2, 2014, 10:28 AM

May have to arrange that as a Christmas gift for him

Oct 2, 2014, 10:33 AM

From what he said, he was pretty into it during his 7 years (of undergrad) at Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

True dat. I'll have to track down who has the shirts now

but it shouldn't be too hard and if you were interested in it I'm sure I can get one or two

TXTF spent a lot of time in "The Dungeon" in college.***

Oct 2, 2014, 10:28 AM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even tho the weight club had some chains in there,

Oct 2, 2014, 10:29 AM

I don't think it's the same dungeon.

amirite?

Doubt it. It an empty confined space with mud floors and

walls.

12oz. at a time***

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Only 12 oz?? Bro do you not even 24 oz cans??***

Oct 2, 2014, 10:36 AM

only when I'm bum'in it

Oct 2, 2014, 10:50 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

was that the original Crossfit?

Oct 2, 2014, 10:39 AM

i dont lift, nor crossfit.

No. Nothing like crossfit. Don't get me started on crossfit***

What are your thoughts on crossfit?***

Oct 2, 2014, 10:42 AM

Many***

Oct 2, 2014, 10:43 AM

I think it's totes all some. A great and safe way to stay in

Oct 2, 2014, 10:43 AM [ in reply to What are your thoughts on crossfit?*** ]

shape.

Me too. Also, you develop quite the brotherhood when doing

Oct 2, 2014, 10:46 AM

WODs.

If you need weights, you aren't doing it right.

The faster you do the reps, and the more momentum you use

Oct 2, 2014, 10:49 AM

during the left, the more muscles groups you use, which means a greater spot fat loss.

No doubt man. Don't underestimate the cardio you get too

Oct 2, 2014, 10:51 AM

I've pretty much been able to stop running 5 miles per day and have saved my knees/feet. LOVE crossfit, will carry on (God willing) for years to come!

Had this painted in there

Dungeon 1.JPG(192.7 K)
Dungeon 2.JPG(196.3 K)

Had a good friend that was a great artist, I got the ok from Fike and we did this in fall of 2011

yes

Oct 2, 2014, 11:09 AM

still have the shirt

Awesome man***

Oct 2, 2014, 11:11 AM

The one with the barbell

Oct 2, 2014, 11:13 AM [ in reply to yes ]

then they went to some tiger lookin thing for the hoodies

What year did they have hoodies??

Oct 2, 2014, 11:14 AM

We looked into doing sweat pants and hoodies when I was an officer, but it never panned out

99 or 00***

Oct 2, 2014, 11:15 AM

Nice! That really was something I wanted to do

Oct 2, 2014, 11:15 AM

unfortunately couldn't get enough other people to commit to it

Replies: 39
| visibility 479