Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let's talk match up's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Let's talk match up's

Aug 21, 2013, 3:57 PM

It’s the first game of the year. We both have high expectations for our teams. The USC game last year proved to us that you have to be ready for each and every game and a team that’s fired up can make you look stupid!
Let’s look at the head to head positions. I know a little about Clemson (I live in Charleston but not us much as I do about UGA) I would welcome some constructive comparisons.
QB’s – Can’t think of 2 better QB’s to lead a team. Murray has yet to win the big one and we are on the road. Slight advantage Clemson
RB’s – Not sure I would trade our first 2 for any others in the country. CU is replacing a great back in Ellington. No proven replacement. Big advantage UGA
OL – UGA returns all of last year’s starters and several key back-ups. We will rotate 8-9 guys. CU – Solid OL but not as deep and experienced. Slight advantage UGA
TE – UGA returns 2 very good ones. CU has been decimated with injuries. Advantage UGA
WR – UGA was more depth and speed here than ever before. Murray spreads the ball around to several. CU has a rare talent in Watkins. If the light comes on for him in big games, look out. Slight advantage CU
DL – UGA has tons of talent and depth but little game experience at the nose. The jury is out until I see them play. CU – has talent and I’m not sure about the depth. Advantage CU
LB – UGA has size, speed, experience and depth. CU – Solid group with some young talent. I’m going to call it a push until after the game.
S – UGA has talent, little experience and the suspension is going to hurt. CU is in a similar position with not much experience. Push
CB – UGA is solid with Swann and Dawson starting with some talented reserves Frosh. CU is rebuilding and had some troubles in coverage last year. Advantage UGA
Kicking – UGA Our place kicker is suspended. CU is very talented. Big Advantage CU
Return game – Hard to bet Watkins. We have no clue who will return for us. Big Advantage CU
Coaching – PUSH
Intangibles - Advantage Clemson. We still have to prove we can win the big one.
It should be a great game. I can see who either team could blow the other out and also can see it being a close game. We all can talk trash but we need to let it play out on the field. Here’s to a great game!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably the most break down I've seen so far

Aug 21, 2013, 4:00 PM

I agree with most of your points. These are two very closely matched teams.

I would say that the CB is a push or a slight to Clemson because we return 3 starters from injury in Robinson, Jenkins and Breeland, two of whom are our best cover corners. Most of the injuries were to the freshmen that we hoped would help with depth early in the year and push for a starting job by the end of the year.

Did he not play agaisnt UF last year?

Aug 21, 2013, 4:04 PM

"QB’s – Can’t think of 2 better QB’s to lead a team. Murray has yet to win the big one and we are on the road. Slight advantage Clemson"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

that's a neutral site game***

Aug 22, 2013, 12:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's talk match up's

Aug 21, 2013, 4:04 PM

I do think we have more than a slight advantage at WR, and that our OL will surprise some people this year and I'd place it as more of a PUSH. But overall, not unreasonable - for a dawg fan!

One little thing that might be in our favor. Will your team

Aug 21, 2013, 4:08 PM

be looking a little ahead to the following week's game?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Seems like a pretty fair breakdown to me***

Aug 21, 2013, 4:12 PM

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Well thought out IMO. Good job***

Aug 21, 2013, 4:16 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wr's - huge advantage clemson. you act like nuk is all we

Aug 21, 2013, 4:16 PM

had; lb's- we have a #1 rated inside (steward) 'backer, and a #1 rated outside 'backer (anthony) , with a very formidable group to go along with'em. how can y'all top that when y'all haven't even gotten the experience our guys do? huge advantage clemson; intangibles- we have lost 1 game in the valley in 2 yrs. 8 p.m. kick, gameday,opening game- HUGE advantage clemson; rb's- y'alls are very good, our's are not chopped liver, hotrod avg'd more ypc than ellington did, just in case you didn't know.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: wr's - huge advantage clemson. you act like nuk is all we

Aug 21, 2013, 4:35 PM

We can all talk about what we think our WR's will do this year. I based it on the facts. CU's top 4 returning WR's had 1465 yds last year UGA's top 4 had 1446. Peake had a whopping 187 yds last year. He's still unproven until he does it on the field.

That's right. We play in a soft conference against...

Aug 21, 2013, 4:40 PM

inferior defensive players and coaching. Now, run along and don't hump my leg on the way out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2013, 4:50 PM [ in reply to Re: wr's - huge advantage clemson. you act like nuk is all we ]

I pretty much agree with the original post's analysis.

Skill positions are loaded with talent on both teams.

I don't think either secondary has a chance in this game. Front 7's are each team's only hope and I'd call them a push. Going to be a hell of a game.

however, y'all didn't lose the # of yds. nuk had, MEANING

Aug 21, 2013, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Re: wr's - huge advantage clemson. you act like nuk is all we ]

the other guys could only catch the passes that we threw to them. they didn't "just drop" many passes,it's just that since nuk was open so much, he got the ball. why not ? humphries is a faster tyler grisham, (who stuck with the steelers for a few yrs), bryant is a freakish 6'5",200 lb SPEEDSTER, that not even y'alls jhc could beat in a race,peake has been flying under the radar,if you will, like i said earlier, he isn't dropping passes, it's just that tb has many other options (and i won't even say anything about our freshmen), so i wouldn't look at just yards or catches, if i were you. just a word of advice from a huge tiger fan, don't put a lot of hope into the " well, we play in the sec,bs" it ain't gonna help y'all in this game!

I wouldn't expect you to think otherwise before the game

Aug 21, 2013, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: wr's - huge advantage clemson. you act like nuk is all we ]

But I know you will see what I am talking about after. Peake's whopping yardage total was due to the fact that he had 2 All-Americans and a 5th year senior playing ahead of him on the depth chart

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2013, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Re: wr's - huge advantage clemson. you act like nuk is all we ]

CU only had 200 more passing yards than UGA last year. We are very close in that category. That's why I said slight advantage. Murray will own almost every SEC passing record at the end of the year. We throw a lot too! Again, it's easy to debate before the game. I'll return after the game and eat crow where I was wrong. I'm wrong a lot!

nice to hear you admit that. ok, well i am ,too, so i won't

Aug 21, 2013, 5:21 PM

take any high ground on this one, we'll just agree to disagree about our respective teams. dang, sure wish more opposing fans could talk football without trying to get my blood pressure up. good job. not sure what site i'll need to go on to admit the same if y'all win, but let me know, and i'll do it, but i sure am glad i won't have to do that!

Re: nice to hear you admit that. ok, well i am ,too, so i won't

Aug 21, 2013, 8:29 PM

Thanks! Some people love to spout off at the mouth. I love giving my friends of opposing teams $hit, but it's all in good fun.

I'm on the Dawgvent. We always welcome intelligent post from other fans.

"We always welcome intelligent post from other fans."

Aug 21, 2013, 9:07 PM

So, no posts from the coots eh.

WRs are closer than most Clemson fans think

Aug 22, 2013, 12:53 AM [ in reply to Re: wr's - huge advantage clemson. you act like nuk is all we ]

However, Clemson has more talent at the WR position and returns a star that UGa doesn't have. Mitchell, Bennett, and Conley are a pretty good trio of WRs, but none of those guys has even matched what Watkins did during his "down year" last year (let alone what he did as a freshman). Conley has similar numbers to what Bryant did last year, as did Bennett during his freshman year. Adam Humphries also had pretty similar numbers to Conley.

Georgia probably has a slight bit more proven experience, but the difference is in the talent level at Clemson, where, even after guys like Watkins, Peake, and Bryant (all of which were top 100 players), you've got guys like RS Fr Germone Hopper (#75 overall player in 2012) and Mike Williams (#222 player overall in 2013).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WRs are closer than most Clemson fans think

Aug 22, 2013, 1:05 AM

Bennett was a huge loss last season, he was Murray's security blanket for the long third down plays. Having him back greatly improves our already deep receiving core.

You're barkin' up the wrong tree here partner. We lost one

Aug 21, 2013, 9:29 PM [ in reply to Re: wr's - huge advantage clemson. you act like nuk is all we ]

receiver that had more yards than your top two combined. Hard for Peake to get too many when Nuk,Sammy,Brandon,Humphries,and Martavis are on the same team.

Re: You're barkin' up the wrong tree here partner. We lost one

Aug 21, 2013, 9:36 PM

It should be fun. We'll check the stats after the game. Not before.....

LOL. Dawg brings up stats, said stats get refuted, Dawg says

Aug 21, 2013, 10:33 PM

we will talk stats after the game, not before. You ever hear the joke about the two Clemson fans and one of them married a coot.........

Good analysis

Aug 21, 2013, 4:20 PM

Except I think we have a bigger advantage at WR. Bryant and Peake are as good as anybody in the country, and Humphries is solid as well

CU only lost 1 starter on O-Line, but I would still give the advantage to UGA, if only slight

Clemson LBs are deep, talented, and experienced. Push

Clemson CB isn't necessarily rebuilding...we have 3 CBs with lots of experience returning, they had just missed time last season with injuries

Blanks forCU will be the best safety on the field, IMO

Aug 21, 2013, 4:43 PM

I agree with most of your points - but the WR comparison indicates you know little-to-nothing about CLEMSON's WR corp. I almost quit reading at that point, but other things were okay once I managed to continue.

But just an FYI: CLEMSON has a MAJOR advantage at WR. UGA has NOBODY that can stop 2-3 of them. But - Boyd must have time to find them. They WILL be open.

Good analysis otherwise. Thanks.

nice post. we could use a thought-provoking outsider

Aug 21, 2013, 4:55 PM

such as yourself & would be willing to make a 5 for 1 trade.

any chance your home bored is running low on coots?

several of the tiger posters here are major industrialists that might be willing to sweeten the deal with cash if needed.

let us know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: nice post. we could use a thought-provoking outsider

Aug 21, 2013, 5:04 PM

I like in 'coot land. I know what you mean......

Re: nice post. we could use a thought-provoking outsider

Aug 21, 2013, 5:05 PM

live....

the match ups are close but

Aug 21, 2013, 5:52 PM

There really are some unknowns which remain. These Georgia DBs are a question with some new faces and suspensions. JHC is out and his replacement could be a huge factor here. Todd Grantham knows this and I'm guessing he goes with a heavy blitz.

The unknown is how Tajh responds to the pressure. Expect him to use underneath mismatch routes such as Peake, Humphries,and TEs. These matchups seem favorable as we definitely dont want big #10 taking as many hits. But how will his running attack go? Will the larger ThUGA LBs be able to close the running lanes?

I'd have to assume the lanes will be there, as we spread out the field. I believe the younger DBs will be focused on coverage. Its something Clemson has been burned by as well. But if this game is close kicking could be the key.

As you know, ThUGAs K Marshall Morgan is suspended .... for now. The backup has one Spring game FG to his credit. The Valley seems like an intimidating place to attempt a first career kick, wouldn't you agree? Huge advantage for Clemson!

Aug 21, 2013, 6:10 PM

I actually agree with you on everything you said from beginning to end. point for you dawg

Most of this thread has nothing to do with "match ups".

Aug 21, 2013, 7:22 PM

Comparing the two teams by position is not a discussion of match ups. Georgia's passing game against Clemson's pass defense is a match up, and vice versa. I think the absolute key will be Clemson's front 7 against the Georgia running game. Personally, I think Clemson will slow the UGA running game down enough to outscore the Dawgs. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

cal ripken's not going to like this post; his 336 day streak

Aug 21, 2013, 7:31 PM

might be in jeopardy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Most of this thread has nothing to do with "match ups".

Aug 21, 2013, 8:33 PM [ in reply to Most of this thread has nothing to do with "match ups". ]

I was talking more position match-up than offense/defense match ups. I can think of many for either side. I think it will boil down to which team can stop the others passing. I won't say it will not happen, but I would be shocked if CU stopped our running attack. Whatever happens, it should be a great game!

Am I the only one worried that the suspended kicker

Aug 21, 2013, 8:55 PM

may actually help UGa? I'll bet Richt goes for more 4th and mediums on our side of the field, especially in a track meet, which, given Gurshall, may ultimately sustain drives and lead to an additional TD or two. Sometimes, a FG is a win for the defense.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2013, 9:33 PM

QB- Clemson
RB-Georgia
OL-Georgia
WR- Clemson
TE-Georgia
DL-Georgia
CB & S- Push
ST- Clemson
Coaching- Georgia

My take on it

Curious on the reasoning for the DL

Aug 21, 2013, 9:37 PM

especially since, form what I've gathered, you're using to running a 3-4 and how it'll be a 4-2-5. Only new starter is at center for CU, where your line is new as well, but by all accounts we've heard, he's as physical as our most experienced lineman.

Clemson

Coaching is not even close

Aug 22, 2013, 3:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Let's talk match up's ]

See my post below...

good analysis. BUT

Aug 21, 2013, 9:33 PM

dont forget Death Valley, SC !!!

Great analysis.

Aug 21, 2013, 9:45 PM

I think all of your points were fair and I'm pretty sure I said "fair enough" in my head to every line. Should be a great game and if you are coming to death valley I hope you enjoy everything about it (except the final score of course)!

Aug 21, 2013, 10:09 PM

i've said it before and i'll say it again: uga fans are the only sec fans that i actually like. everybody knows what the two offenses can do--they both score at will. BUT neither defense is going to give anything for free either. you still have to execute. 90,000 people screaming could make that very difficult for murray and co. home advantage in death valley is never to be underestimated.
to me, the position battles that will determine the outcome of this game are in the front 7. both teams have really good o-lines and questionable secondaries. but if gurshall is breaking through to lb's all day we'll get burned. if boyd has all day to throw, you'll get burned. i like our lb's and d-line better than yours. advantage: clemson. we get the w.

im guessing you are under 25?

Aug 21, 2013, 10:17 PM

hold off on your opinion until after the game....

Re: im guessing you are under 25?

Aug 21, 2013, 10:52 PM

says the guy making assumptions about people he's never met...

Aug 22, 2013, 3:04 AM

I think this will be one of the best matched QB's all season long. Lots of upside to both. Boyd has the ability to run so I would give slight advantage to him for that reason.

RB's is not a contest, even though I like ours. UGA just has two great ones.

OL- I think you underestimate ours a little here. We return 4/5 and they are the best group we have seen here in years. They are coached by one of the best OL coaches in the country. We also have depth here like we have not before. I would say we will be rotating 8-9 as well. I would call this a push to be honest.

TE-you nailed it here. Injuries have hurt. I am excited to see Seckinger. A guy that was a WR turned TE, much like we did to Ford last year and he turned out good. Seckinger has also put on a lot of weight from what I hear.

WR-Mot even close here. I would compare our lead here to your lead at RB. Sammy, Bryant, G-Hop, Williams, Cherone, Humphries is a very deep and talented group.

DL-I do not know about UGA DL so I can only comment on ours and say this is the best group we have had in a few years. We had really strong DL's a few years ago. This group is not as good as that group, but they are close.

LB-Same with DL, I do not know about UGA's LB, but this is the best, deepest group we have had in 10+ years, and they are also coached by a #### good LB coach in Venables. He has coached two Butkus award winners.

S-We have moved Blanks back to his natural position and the first real safety we've had in a while. I think he will do well, but the jury is out.

CB-We are talented, and have more game time experience here than UGA does. I would put this as a push, if not advantage Clemson.

Kicking-We have one of the best in the country. UGA is playing a backup guy. No question here

Coaching-Huge advantage Clemson here. You could say push at the HC pos (maybe), but The Chad is the best OC in the country and Venables had a rough go last year, but it was his first year and he really did not have a lot to work with. He is still the same guy that coached a lot of great OU defenses. I do not know about UGA position coaches, but Hobby, Brooks, and Caldwell are regarded as some of the best at their respected specialty as far as coaches are concerned. Hobby was a DC, Caldwell a HC (in the SEC), and Brooks anchored some #### good UT teams when they were regarded as one of the best teams in the country and when they won it all. He also coached an Outland trophy winner. Coaching to me is not even close-Huge advantage Clemson.

Intangibles-Night Game, Home, College Gameday, opening day, crowd noise. It is all in our favor.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic