Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
WHO now warning against lockdowns
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

WHO now warning against lockdowns

Oct 12, 2020, 6:07 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WHO now warning against lockdowns

Oct 12, 2020, 6:09 PM

He's a regular nostra-dumbass

Oct 12, 2020, 6:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

more worthy sources

Oct 12, 2020, 6:46 PM

I guess, you have to dig to find it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/10/11/covid-hospitalizations-up-11-state-records-who-questions-lockdowns/5960078002/

I could really find it mentioned in other reputable sources:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1556&bih=982&tbm=nws&sxsrf=ALeKk015z36X5mn1Scmw4gRA6-QK_hceug%3A1602542289095&ei=0dqEX6ObBe6s5wLItZ3oDw&q=WHO+warns+against+lockdowns&oq=WHO+warns+against+lockdowns&gs_l=psy-ab.3...8886.28966.0.29299.27.26.0.1.1.0.129.1678.25j1.26.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.11.640...0j0i433k1j0i3k1.0.7f1PINOy35Q

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: more worthy sources

Oct 12, 2020, 7:06 PM

I can't imagine a presentation of a circumstance being more

Oct 12, 2020, 8:17 PM

politically or ideologically motivated than this one has been. Truth can be found, but not in the msm articles and reporting. They have done a fabulous job of equating "cases" with "fear", and reporting only those without any context of testing methods/volume and actual health effect.

This link is just about the only information I follow. https://covidtracking.com/data/state/south-carolina

The link is to the SC data, but clicking on "Our Data" at the top left takes you to the national data. And one can see any state as well.

The trends over the last three months are clearly in almost free fall. New cases drops if fluctuations in testing volume is accounted for, and usually, as with SC, it drops anyway.

What is really dropping is the number of fatalities. From a high of 50 daily on about Aug 1, we're down to about 10 daily and falling. Nationally, we've dropped from a high of 1200 daily to about 700, also falling. That is not as dramatic a fall as SC has but if you look at individual states you'll see that a few states are experiencing Western Europe type curves: draconian lock downs early on, second waves now. Compare states like SC, GA and FL to states like MI and WI. A few states seem to be keeping the national fatality rate from falling as fast as SC's

In July SC was testing 10,000/day, and we were having 2000 cases/day. Testing is now up to 20,000/day, but cases are down to 700/day. I am not exactly sure what those two graphs going in opposite directions says, but it has to be good news.

Regarding hospitalization numbers, that one seems to be an enigma. As the hospitalizations rise, the fatality rates continue to fall, with little regard to the "lagging indicator" factor (no more lectures on that, please: we got it then and we get it now. Prof Yandle taught us all about it in Econ 101.). In SC, the hospitalizations have risen a little lately even though number of cases is dropping (especially if rising testing numbers is accounted for). I will let someone else speculate on how things are counted and reported, but something else needs to happen before I will think that number (1) is signifying anything or (2) is being consistently measured.

Anyway, when you look at those graphs over a period of time, then read the headlines, it's apparent that the story was decided before the numbers were even considered.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Re: more worthy sources ]

T3Tiger® said:

Lol that caption for the link says it all. Nothing but doom and gloom.

“ Coronavirus hospitalizations are on the rise. WHO discourages lockdowns. 11 states set 7-day records for new infections. World also struggling.”

Somehow they failed to mention that deaths are continuing to fall. All they can talk about now is cases. Those will likely keep rising or stay about the same as long as all these colleges are continuing to test entire student bodies and spot check.

SC is now down to about a 10 percent positive.

Message was edited by: T3Tiger®

Eveytime the cases go up the Pub's say "but the deaths are going down." Every time the deaths go up the Pub's say "but the cases are going down." Never fails.

It's cyclical. Everytime the cases go up, the deaths go down. They're dying off from the previous wave. Next, when deaths start rising, cases go down. It comes in waves. Peaks and valleys my friend.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clever, except you overlooked something. Fatalities are

Oct 12, 2020, 8:46 PM

going down. Period.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clever, except you overlooked something. Fatalities are

Oct 12, 2020, 8:54 PM

going down. Period.

The virus comes in waves, peaks and valley's. Everytime the cases go(peak) up the deaths go down (poeple from the previous case wave die out). Everytime the deaths go up(result of previous peak in cases), the cases go down.

It's cyclical and I'm amused that Pub's keep pointing that out as if it's good news somehow. And when the deaths start going up, you'll say "see, the cases are going down." You do it every time.

It comes in waves, of course deaths are going down. And after this wave of cases has past it's peak, some of the infections result in death so the deaths go up, while, as the wave has passed the cases go down.

How do you guys not get that?

Addressed in my answer, w/ charts and graphs and everthang.***

Oct 12, 2020, 9:13 PM

Above.

Re: Addressed in my answer, w/ charts and graphs and everthang.***

Oct 12, 2020, 9:23 PM

Re: Clever, except you overlooked something. Fatalities are

Oct 12, 2020, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Clever, except you overlooked something. Fatalities are ]

Are you running for the senate with babbling biden, just curious?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Re: more worthy sources ]

Any left leaning news sources would have ignored that, so

Oct 13, 2020, 10:06 AM [ in reply to more worthy sources ]

you won't find it from many other sources.

Left or Right leaning news sources don't necessarily lie - but they will fail to report on news that they think their readers/viewers don't want to hear.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you run your mouth as much as he does

Oct 12, 2020, 7:01 PM

hour after hour, day after day, you're definitely going to get something that aligns with reality when searching for a line to justify.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 7:53 PM

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-spread-herd-immunity-unethical-who-chief-says/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Oct 12, 2020, 8:03 PM

How come every time I address your post,

Oct 12, 2020, 9:34 PM

you change the subject?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Re: How come every time I address your post,

Oct 12, 2020, 9:42 PM

Re: How come every time I address your post,

Oct 13, 2020, 5:50 AM

My post is the head of WHO saying don't just open everything up.

- Jonathan Swift

Interesting statement. On one hand, agreement seems obvious.

Oct 12, 2020, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: WHO now warning against lockdowns ]

Can't just "let" people get a disease, right? However, what is the difference in "letting" something happen and deciding how to deal with its inevitability?

If one assumes that WHO's statement right (aside from the irony of "Tedros" and "ethical" being in the same sentence), he has just called Sweden unethical, and as we now see, W Europe is headed to the same total numbers Sweden had, but with a crappe load more trouble and cost. We all know that this is because the question is not whether a certain number of people will get this, but when.

One can and should assume that social distancing is effective for what it can do, and act accordingly. Put me down for masks. What it cannot do is make the virus go away. It will not decide "Eff these masks, let's go home". A certain number of people will get it, have to get it, before the virus loses its epidemic characteristic. That's not my opinion: that is everybody's understanding for the last 200 years. There are only two variables: who actually gets it, and over what period of time.

What is unethical about imposing harsh measures on those most vulnerable (say, over age X, and not shipping sick ones into nursing homes), while allowing low risk individuals to make the informed decisions they deem best for themselves? Or is Tedros virtue signaling by making glorious pronouncements that address no known circumstance?

Re: Interesting statement. On one hand, agreement seems obvious.

Oct 12, 2020, 8:48 PM

I agree with you except for one thing. The virus needs hosts or it dies out. Social distancing and wearing masks gives the virus no place to go...and it dies out. The CDC said that if 90% of people did those 2 things it would save approx. 40,000 lives before New Year.

I disagree. It won't just die out with social distancing and

Oct 12, 2020, 9:09 PM

Masks. It wont even go away and die out if you have social distancing, masks, and a lockdown. But social distancing and masks can make it barrable and not a strain on hospitals. No one is locking down again anyway. Heck we never did in SC. We still had 50 cases a day locked down. But the difference between 2400 cases a day and 500 are masks. The difference between 500 a day and 50 isn't worth shutting down the states economy.

But I do know several kids with it now. 4th graders.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting statement. On one hand, agreement seems obvious.

Oct 12, 2020, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting statement. On one hand, agreement seems obvious. ]

I have heard no one say it will die out. Contact viruses

Oct 12, 2020, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting statement. On one hand, agreement seems obvious. ]

like ebola can be isolated by denying hosts. No one thinks that can happen with something as contagious as this is. Hasn't ever happened.

We even have flu epidemics from time to time, viruses that have been around since forever, and this one is way more contagious than that. My guess is that the common cold is not epidemic because enough people have had those viruses: They run through grade schools but not outside them, for that reason. And after all that, the common cold viruses are still there. No, they don't die out. And if this one is anywhere around, an epidemic will result. In the US it started with what, a handful of people?

The idea that we can have this virus 'die out' is a manufactured lie used for political purposes: "Its Trumps fault." But no, or almost no, physician, however pro distancing they might be, buys that.

I agree with you. I will not question that idea at all.

Oct 12, 2020, 9:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Interesting statement. On one hand, agreement seems obvious. ]

However, that comment by the CDC, if right, does not say that doing so will reduce the number of people who get it. All it can do, I think, is spread out the time the X number of people will get it. Otherwise, one will have to explain how it is that W Europe, which the left called a model of how to respond, now has more cases than we do. Sweden sits there with almost no activity, while W Europe around it is now catching up.

What could perhaps happen, though I haven't heard anyone discuss this, is that if immunity is achieved at, say, exactly 150 million cases, with extreme social distancing we can reach that number without going too far over. Without distancing, we might have 200 million (takes a while to stop a battleship). Maybe. But you're still looking at a very long time with huge costs to do the former. If the at-risk population is protected, what is the angst about cases in the segment of the population for whom covid is less risky than the flu?

I'll come back to my basic point: the msm has equated "case" with "fear" to the degree that there is no discussion taking place about what trends are actually taking place. The administrative docs like Fauci - the "scientists" we're supposed to listen to - sit there and don't say a danged thing. "Masks are good. Yeah, wear masks. But it won't go away until we have a vaccine. We will have one in November. No wait, June." Really out there on a limb, eh Tony? And really, we're blaming each other for something that is exactly no one's fault.

Forgive my two responses. One was just addressing the issue. This one was more to you personally. You know, because you're a fun guy to talk to. :)

Oct 12, 2020, 8:55 PM

only 3 more weeks until the danger is over, the masks will fall from our faces

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 8:59 PM

only 3 more weeks until the danger is over, the masks will fall from our faces

And peppermint will rain from the skys while little angels flitter about.

Oct 12, 2020, 9:00 PM

even Kalifornia is reducing restrictions

i wish we had more hand washing stations, should be everywhere

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Angels are big. But still, yeah.***

Oct 12, 2020, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: WHO now warning against lockdowns ]

Dear leader says they can’t be trusted...***

Oct 12, 2020, 9:52 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dear leader says they can’t be trusted...***

Oct 12, 2020, 9:59 PM

WHO

Oct 13, 2020, 6:09 AM

are you? Who who, who who

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Or, the obiligatory, Wave Hatthews Oand.***

Oct 13, 2020, 6:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Oct 13, 2020, 6:47 AM

Percent positive was only 9.1% in S.C. yesterday but the libs are still acting like it’s getting worse.

A few weeks ago when it was steady around 20% it was supposedly the only number that mattered.

Got a little bit still on your chin.***

Oct 13, 2020, 7:55 AM

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

WHO answers to China

Oct 13, 2020, 8:06 AM

China must want the shutdowns lifted

Business must be bad in China

I'n not too proud to admit when I'm wrong.

Oct 13, 2020, 8:47 AM
map.jpg(75.6 K)

I'll admit, at first I said this virus wasn't political. I mean it's a virus, right? I have grossly underestimated our capacity as Americans to make it political. On that I will admit an error. I had no clue we had it in us, but evidently we do. The "Republican L" is beginning to show up nicely when you look at cases per 100K by county. You can argue if that's a good or bad thing a million ways until you're blue in the face. But it is a political thing. Will be interesting to map Trump versus Biden counties when this is said and done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I speculated just this morning that 75% of COVID cases were

Oct 13, 2020, 10:14 AM

probably conservative folks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I speculated just this morning that 75% of COVID cases were

Oct 13, 2020, 10:41 AM

Could be. Would be interesting to do some data mashups if you could get the data.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic