Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
WAY TOO EARLY -- what will Clemson look like in 2021?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

WAY TOO EARLY -- what will Clemson look like in 2021?

Jan 2, 2021, 11:24 AM

Tlaw and ETN, it was a great run and I hope you tear it up in the NFL! But, like every year, there will be turn over included those two studs. So what will the roster roughly look like?

QB - DJU
RB - Committee of Lyn J. Dixon, Mellusi (has looked really good this season, might pass Dixon), Pace/Shipley/Mafah (I imagine these three will split 3rd reps early on and someone will emerge)
OL - Everyone needs to come back, yes Jackson Carmen... you too. All of the two deep was Fr. that'll be huge for development, essentially getting the entire two-deep back. Marcus Tate will also be a nice add from 2021
WR - Lightning in a bottle! Ross/Ngata/Ladson/Williams all back and all healthy (hopefully, I understand that Ross isn't a guarantee). This could be a special group and will only last for one season, so we better capitalize on it. But next year, it'll feel like WRU again! A couple of good Fr. incoming for 2021 as well, Collins/Collins.
TE - The group will be stacked with Davis/Galloway with the addition of Briningstool

Will be a very different looking group but explosive. Long rangey WRs with top end speed, a QB with a cannon, several capable RBs, TEs galore, and an OL group with experience and depth (hopefully this group makes progress in the offseason).

DE - hahahahaha embarrassment of riches. Even if XT were to leave, there is a ton of talent here. I imagine Justin Foster will be back to 100% next season. KJ Henry, Mascool, Murphey, 2021 add Denhoff. I imagine there might be some transfers at the position.
DT - Interesting position group. Who comes back? Who transfers? TD and Breese are great and will be the anchors. Is Jordan Williams ok with not being the "the guy"? I have a feeling the answer is "no" but we will see. Does Pickney stay or hang up the cleats? How does Page fit in as a Fr.? What about Capehart? Tre Williams? A lot of exceptional young talent at the position mixed in with some vets. The cream will rise and it'll be a strong spot.
LBs - Does Skalski return? Does Mike Jones move to the WLB position (sorry Spec)? That would enable Simpson to play in the LB/NB spot, like Simmons, where he really showed promise this season. Moving Mike Jones over to WLB and Adding Simpson to LB/NB would upgrade the athleticism of that group a good bit. Venables/Patterson provide depth at MLB or one of them earn the spot if Skalski returns. Where does Trotter fit into the mix?
CBs - DK is gone. I am not sure if he should leave or not, but I am pretty confident he will leave. Andrew Booth is a freak. Jones will do well on the other side. Goodrich will provide depth. Malcolm Greene will play a lot. Fred Davis is coming... Leanthony Williams transfer? Wiggins probably gets few opportunities. This is going to be a strong group with a lot of depth and experience.
S - Major upgrade with the addition of Carter from 2021. Yes, I think Carter will play S and the coaching staff has eluded to this as well. Freak athlete. Does Turner return? Maybe. That'd be a big boost. Zanders is solid but a bit slow. Hopefully he will develop in the offseason. Charleston really showed flashes but was also inconsistent. Will be curious to see how the offseason treats him. Philips/Thorton need a lot of work IMO. I'm not really sure about Mickens, maybe a developmental guy.

TL;DR - Offensive will be explosive with an improved WR group. WRU is back! DLine will be a strength, LBs potentially more athletic across the board, and DBs could be deep with a big boost from Carter on the backend.

What say you TNet?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WAY TOO EARLY -- what will Clemson look like in 2021?

Jan 2, 2021, 11:30 AM

Great assessment. Gonna be a lot like this year. Good enough to win the ACC and make the playoff. But not to win it all.

The oline needs a serious upgrade in recruiting.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 5:05 AM

We are two years away imo.

Jan 3, 2021, 8:56 AM

Agreed! We will have an exciting year next year for sure but world beater??? We are 2022 before we feel that way

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good info but I'm starting to wonder if Day is onto

Jan 2, 2021, 11:34 AM

Something with Venables calling signals. I thought our defense played on their heels, confused and out of sorts trying to get lined up.They set the stage early which was a huge part of OSU momentum.

Re: Good info but I'm starting to wonder if Day is onto

Jan 2, 2021, 11:46 AM

They had 11 games worth of footage to watch amd we had 6. We didn’t know what was coming and they brought the house. Is this hard to grasp?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They had a QB in major pain every throw

Jan 2, 2021, 12:42 PM

Everyone knew run was coming, and we still couldn’t stop it. They were flat out better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sermon had several big runs where our front 7 weren't

Jan 3, 2021, 1:06 AM

Even in position or stance when the ball was snapped. Any running back would love to run behind a quality OL and a DL that's just not set and confused. Go back and watch when we were set, we stopped Sermon for loses and no gains.

Re: Good info but I'm starting to wonder if Day is onto

Jan 2, 2021, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Good info but I'm starting to wonder if Day is onto ]

I think with Venables it is less about stealing signals and more about setting alignments at the last second. We always seem to struggle against offenses that HUNH. We are always trying to get in the perfect alignment and it bites us in the butt when they snap it quick. Syracuse of all teams has caused us problems with this more than once. That being said he is a terrific coach and would rather have him than anyone else. Just have to find a way of dealing with HUNH better.

Ding Ding Ding! Winner winner chicken dinner

Jan 3, 2021, 10:27 AM

Nm

Jan 2, 2021, 11:37 AM

Until we get better at the LOS all that won’t matter.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 11:55 AM

Look for Shipley to move to Rogers spot in the slot, at least get a look. Backup OL looks abysmal from what I saw this year, no dogs in that group other than Walker Parks - did he even play last night? Unless they just cant play at this level, they all need to come back, If they cant play D1 and there appears to be a couple of those, they need to transfer out so that others can get reps. Need to find a backup QB, TP aint it, not at this level.

Defense needs an ALPHA dog to step up and lead and they need to get bigger in the interior, maybe Tre Williams and Capehart can step up? I think they add by subtraction with DK. His "love shack" antics got really old and probably created more distractions than anything. XT - who knows - he's probably gone but he really only had 1 play in his entire career so that loss may also be more addition by subtraction. Jake V - no - need to bring on the younger LBs and let them play, all much more athletic.

Jan 2, 2021, 12:24 PM

Agree with the Shipley comment. I think he is too good of an APB to not integrate him into the offense in some way. I imagine he will get looks on ST as a returner and then play a mix of RB and slot.

The interior next year could be really stout. No BigDex out there but Breese/TD will be a handful. I'm with you, though. Who will step in and provide depth? If they could be a true run stopper, that'd be even better. Tre Williams and Capehart could definitely grow into those roles and provide significant depth. 4+ fresh bodies will be nice for the interior.

XT - who knows. I am not sure if he has gotten a bad image as of late for nothing or if there is some there there. The offseason will probably shine a light on that question. If he comes back and is focused, he could be a handful. I am hoping that's exactly what happens. I hope he comes back and plays for a 1st round draft grade and earns it on the field.

DK was probably my favorite player in his recruiting class. I thought he was going to break out at WR, and Ross just absolutely burst onto the scene. When he moved to DB, I thought he was going to be stellar. He showed flashes early and that kept me optimistic. But as his skills/ability got better, it was like his attitude and commitment got worse. He will likely receive a good draft grade and be gone, IMO. Luckily, there is a lot of talent for that position group. It just needs to be developed in the offseason.

Special Teams Thoughts?

Jan 2, 2021, 12:27 PM

Spiers is senior-appears only Swanson is listed punter?

Placekickers-Potter senior.

I wonder if any choose to return but special teams may have gaps unless you know of others I am missing. Good analysis! September 4 is Georgia so we are only 8 months away from opener.

Re: Special Teams Thoughts?

Jan 2, 2021, 12:30 PM

I left off Punter/PK because I just have no idea how that'll play out. I am assuming BK will be back. Spiers could come back given the COVID eligibility situation. But just don't know what that situation is for him.

Jan 3, 2021, 2:53 AM

Tlaw and ETN, it was a great run and I hope you tear it up in the NFL! But, like every year, there will be turn over included those two studs. So what will the roster roughly look like?

QB - DJU
RB - Committee of Lyn J. Dixon, Mellusi (has looked really good this season, might pass Dixon), Pace/Shipley/Mafah (I imagine these three will split 3rd reps early on and someone will emerge)
OL - Everyone needs to come back, yes Jackson Carmen... you too. All of the two deep was Fr. that'll be huge for development, essentially getting the entire two-deep back. Marcus Tate will also be a nice add from 2021
WR - Lightning in a bottle! Ross/Ngata/Ladson/Williams all back and all healthy (hopefully, I understand that Ross isn't a guarantee). This could be a special group and will only last for one season, so we better capitalize on it. But next year, it'll feel like WRU again! A couple of good Fr. incoming for 2021 as well, Collins/Collins.
TE - The group will be stacked with Davis/Galloway with the addition of Briningstool

Will be a very different looking group but explosive. Long rangey WRs with top end speed, a QB with a cannon, several capable RBs, TEs galore, and an OL group with experience and depth (hopefully this group makes progress in the offseason).

DE - hahahahaha embarrassment of riches. Even if XT were to leave, there is a ton of talent here. I imagine Justin Foster will be back to 100% next season. KJ Henry, Mascool, Murphey, 2021 add Denhoff. I imagine there might be some transfers at the position.
DT - Interesting position group. Who comes back? Who transfers? TD and Breese are great and will be the anchors. Is Jordan Williams ok with not being the "the guy"? I have a feeling the answer is "no" but we will see. Does Pickney stay or hang up the cleats? How does Page fit in as a Fr.? What about Capehart? Tre Williams? A lot of exceptional young talent at the position mixed in with some vets. The cream will rise and it'll be a strong spot.
LBs - Does Skalski return? Does Mike Jones move to the WLB position (sorry Spec)? That would enable Simpson to play in the LB/NB spot, like Simmons, where he really showed promise this season. Moving Mike Jones over to WLB and Adding Simpson to LB/NB would upgrade the athleticism of that group a good bit. Venables/Patterson provide depth at MLB or one of them earn the spot if Skalski returns. Where does Trotter fit into the mix?
CBs - DK is gone. I am not sure if he should leave or not, but I am pretty confident he will leave. Andrew Booth is a freak. Jones will do well on the other side. Goodrich will provide depth. Malcolm Greene will play a lot. Fred Davis is coming... Leanthony Williams transfer? Wiggins probably gets few opportunities. This is going to be a strong group with a lot of depth and experience.
S - Major upgrade with the addition of Carter from 2021. Yes, I think Carter will play S and the coaching staff has eluded to this as well. Freak athlete. Does Turner return? Maybe. That'd be a big boost. Zanders is solid but a bit slow. Hopefully he will develop in the offseason. Charleston really showed flashes but was also inconsistent. Will be curious to see how the offseason treats him. Philips/Thorton need a lot of work IMO. I'm not really sure about Mickens, maybe a developmental guy.

TL;DR - Offensive will be explosive with an improved WR group. WRU is back! DLine will be a strength, LBs potentially more athletic across the board, and DBs could be deep with a big boost from Carter on the backend.

What say you TNet?

QB - DJU no doubt!
RB - Wide open competition with no leaders. Transfer Bowman was far & away 2nd best RB. Can Shipley get in rotation?
OL - More talent than most think. Move Carman to RT (his pro position) if he returns. Rework line and get more athletic Parks, Mayes, Tchio, Putnam and maybe Leigh in the rotation if he's ready.
WR - Lots of potential. Hopefully a healthy Ross. Swinney loves Ngata. Williams, Ladson, and Ajou - who wants it? Collins has chemistry with DJ and may be ready early. Stellato and/or Shipley in slot?
TE - Davis brought it in 2020. Galloway has not blocked.
DE - Murphy is a wonder on one side. The other side = lots of work needed. Would love for J. Foster to return but based upon lack of updates, I hope he's physically OK. Mascoll has not contained. XT is gone. KJ has been physically overmatched. Maybe Denhoff can get some reps. But Venables may need Bresee to lean up and move to DE like CW42 did for Tigers his junior year.
DT - Tyler Davis and a lot of what ifs? Open competition like you state. Can Capehart, Williams, Orhorhoro, or new big man Page get in shape and step up in rotation?
LB - IMHO Skalski's had his 5 years. I hope he'll coach one day. Simpson's speed is needed at SAM. Patterson, Jones, Bentley, Maguire and Venables will fight it out for Mike and Will reps. Hopefully Trotter & Carter (S/LB) can get in rotation quickly. Speed is key.
CB - Booth, Fred Davis, Greene all the way with unsteady Goodrich and Jones as backups. Maybe Wiggins can get in rotation.
S - Amen on Carter. Hopefully can contribute at S early. Maybe not. Will he arrive in Spring? Coaches are building Zanders who is more uncertain than slow and should be more consistent in 2021. The rest have not been factors. Slow, weak coverage & soft tackling. Hopefully newcomer Mukuba can contribute early.

The ACC minus Sam Howell is a free pass. I hope Dabo, Tony and BV will get these young men ready for post-season competition with lots of reps for primarily starters, potential young stars & 2nd string.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 8:19 AM

I like that take. A lot of our differences were my second thoughts too. Skalski could just be done but I hope he comes back. If Carter is as advertised, I think his addition at safety could really change the look of the secondary.

Jan 3, 2021, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: WAY TOO EARLY -- what will Clemson look like in 2021? ]

I really like the idea of Parks at LT and Carmen at RT. I think Parks is the best tackle prospect we've ever had, even better than Hyatt.

I wonder where Leigh will factor into the equation... if Carmen does indeed turn pro, I could see him at RT opposite Parks.

Parks / Bockhorst / Linthicum / Putnam / Leigh

Jan 3, 2021, 9:12 AM

Good post. We will be better and/or more experienced at almost every position except QB and RB, which are going to see drop offs for sure. DJ has shown he can get the job done though, and we have talented depth at RB. Anything less than an ACC championship and New Years 6 bowl would be a big disappointment.

Jan 3, 2021, 10:16 AM

I tend to agree with your post, particularly offensively. I think we will see significant improvement at OL and WR. My only real concern is QB depth. We may be less dynamic at RB, but we will figure it out.

On defense, though, I think you may be overstating things. At DE, particularly, there are a lot of good players, but we need a consistent pass rush and I just do not know where that comes from. XT undeniably has the ability, but he needs to be more consistent (if he comes back at all). Foster, Henry? Possibly, but that is not proven. At CB, we have lots of talent, but honestly I think we were hurt this year by too much rotation. I love creating functional depth, but the starters need to develop chemistry. If your depth chart says “or” all over the place, I think that diminishes that chemistry. A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two isn’t sure.

Good overview. I think backup QB will be interesting next

Jan 3, 2021, 10:33 AM

year. We have proven numerous times we need one!

I hope to see some development or movement on the OL. Underperformed this year.

RB should be OK, but we will miss Travis for sure. Like Melussi out of the backfield, but we will have to see how he runs. Will be interesting to see who the starter is by game 4.

At WR the healthy ones did well. Might have been a good idea to move DK back to man the slot this year and move Amari outside more. Think DK might have been a good bridge there to Spector next year. Next year should rock if they are all back and healthy.

Disappointed in use of the TE this year. Some flashes, but with the injuries at WR, not sure why we didn't utilize TE more.

Hope to see some improvement on the DL as well. Didn't see much push with just the line rushing.

At LB, we still seem slow or confused. They seem to attack the gap early, and the RBs go where they aren't. Also don't seem capable of covering the TE or RB. Maybe that's scheme.

At DB I think we just need experience. DK just is not the answer. Like some of the younger guys.

Will be an interesting spring for sure. Can't wait for the fall. Spot the dern ball!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 10:52 AM

Interior OL and safety play are my biggest concerns. We need to upgrade at C. Stewart was manhandled in our only two losses. OSU really exposed us on the back end. Charleston and Thornton were in over their heads, both mentally and physically. It sounds harsh, but they looked like they didn't belong. Hopefully Carter and Mukuba can come in and make waves early.

Well apparently Stewart wasn’t the one being manhandled

Jan 3, 2021, 5:33 PM

Against OSU since he and McFadden tied for the highest grades in the o-line and his 2nd highest grade of the season

Jan 3, 2021, 6:47 PM

Secondary is our week link, has been for years. Until we shape that up we will need another dominate front 4 to cover up for their shortcomings. its been two years in a row in blow outs because our secondary is just lost or aren't as good as the WRs they are seeing. That's something we need to sure up for certain in 2021

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 8:02 PM

Agree, Secondary is my biggest concern. Believe we will improve on both lines next year and look forward to seeing what DJ can do. I think we see Shipley in the mix plus even more TE action. Bresee and Davis will be a wrecking crew.

Re: WAY TOO EARLY

Jan 3, 2021, 8:22 PM

"pretty good" guys at RB not good enough. Let's hope Shipley comes in and takes over. Need a stud back there.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic