Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Violence-OhSt Lettermen Row's Austin Ward, Birm & Tim May
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Violence-OhSt Lettermen Row's Austin Ward, Birm & Tim May

Dec 29, 2019, 1:18 PM

I spent several hours watching Ohio St's versions of David Hood before the ball game. They spoke among themselves and interviewed others incl. Herbstreit.

A common theme was the Buckeyes were going to VIOLENTLY hit Clemson in the mouth. Violence is part of football, and I have always loved violent Clemson Defenses especially during the Ford years. The game has moved on. And Clemson has been primarily a finesse team during the Swinney years - a much more talented finesse team in recent years.

This post gets to why the Buckeyes and Day especially are SO BUTTHURT. Violence was central to the Ohio St game plan endorsed by Day and coaches. Live by the sword; die by the sword. Buckeyes knocked the crap out of Clemson in general and specifically on several hits vs. Tee Higgins, ETN, and TL16. And against TL16, it was called. Unless this is the first time the Buckeyes have watched college or pro football over the past few years, no referees will abide by hits to the QB's head area with the hands or especially the crown of helmet.

Day endorsed it, and now he's BUTTHURT. It is what it is. And the crying is now mostly confined to Buckeye/B1G chatter, excuses, and sour grapes, and the rest of the country has moved on to pro football and LSU vs. CLEMSON. Only Buckeye die-hards (and Northwestern/B1G sportscasters like Mike Wilbon & Joel Klatt) believe it's an issue of national importance. Day is a bright coach, and after his hurt dissolves, he will realize that he and the Buckeye coaches over-endorsed the VIOLENT game plan. It is challenging for coaches to regulate on the field. And it cost Ohio St when their CB was tossed from the game.

If Mr. Dave Hood reads this post, or Mr. Rhymer, I'd love to hear your first-hand perspective based on pre-game and game-time events. TIA ...

In the end, Oh St settled for field goals in red zone 3 times, and were outscored 29-7 to close the game. The Buckeyes has chances to stop Clemson and chances to drive and score. It's over. Clemson coaches and players are prepping for LSU. Beyond the crying, Ohio St players played one he11uva game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You forget that THOSE refs did not call targeting

Dec 29, 2019, 1:24 PM

on that play - it was the replay guys. Also - I saw two earlier plays that could have been called targeting that were not reviewed. Add to that, OSU players also came across Trevor's head with forearms and elbows that were never called.

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama played like that. Didn’t help them either.

Dec 29, 2019, 1:25 PM

But it was a similarly close score in 2016.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Yep, I though Ohio St was a dirty as Bama***

Dec 29, 2019, 1:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep, I though Ohio St was a dirty as Bama***

Dec 29, 2019, 4:30 PM

Remember this from last night? Check out this cheap shot the Bucknuts won't talk about

https://mobile.twitter.com/BuccoAficionado

Message was edited by: saddis56®

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 2:01 AM

BIG TIME cheap shot

Dec 29, 2019, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Yep, I though Ohio St was a dirty as Bama*** ]

Duplicate

Message was edited by: saddis56®

Re: Violence-OhSt Lettermen Row's Austin Ward, Birm & Tim May

Dec 29, 2019, 1:25 PM

It was Bama in the Championship game and now OSU in the semi-final game. How does Clemson always draw the whining and crying excuse makers?

BTW, Clemson showed they are more than a finesse team and punched back when needed. The only difference, it was within the rules of the game.

Violence is the wrong mindset. Physicality making football

Dec 29, 2019, 1:55 PM

plays is the correct approach.

The term violence will predispose officials to look for targeting calls and other unsportsmanlike actions. Officials know dirty teams and players.

Players need to be focused on making football plays ... being sidetracked by trying to violently hit someone will lead to missed assignments and bad plays. Great example in the LSU game ... an Oklahoma DB got ejected for a blindside helmet to helmet hit on an LSU WR ___ meanwhile Joe Burrows was scampering 20 yards up the sideline for a first down. Had the OK DB not been preoccupied with hitting the WR, he could have easily pushed Burrows out of bounds for a 5 yard gain. Lots of missed tackles when players go for a big hit and not wrap up.

Intensity, domination and generally kicking ### making FB plays is essential.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 29, 2019, 2:08 PM

While I agree with 90% of the OP, I could not disagree more with:

SocMan2® said:

And Clemson has been primarily a finesse team during the Swinney years - a much more talented finesse team in recent years.

That description fits the Tommy Bowden era (the reason we were like a yo-yo every week). We are no longer that version of Clemson (thank the Lord) nor have we been for the majority of the Swinney era.

We ARE a highly talented, well coached, fundamentally sound football team that will line up and hit you in the mouth but do so within the left and right limits of the rules. We ARE NOT a finesse team that relies on gimmicks and pure skill to beat you. If that were the case we would not have beaten physical teams like Alabama who have more talent on their roster than we do. Finesse teams don't win 2 out of the last 3 (hopefully 3 out of last 4 very soon) National Championships - only hard nosed, skilled, fundamentally sound football teams that are capable of lining up and whipping you in the trenches do that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 9:49 AM

Yes Socman, had too much rice wine when he typed that. Dabo set Desmond Howard straight on that one.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic