Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cole vs Tajh comparison
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Cole vs Tajh comparison

Jul 11, 2014, 4:51 PM

Superdawg51 raised the question "how many of Cole Ctoudts passes crossed the LOS"?

IDK but it caused me to pull up the Orange Bowl win and do some deep analysis. Here's what I found. It may shock some folks. I wrote down every pass attempt, where the ball was caught and yards gained after the catch. Had had Tajh for 27 of 38, 365 yds, 4TDs, 2 Int. But that doesn't tell the story.

29 comp. in 37 attempts. 365 yds. 12.58 yds per completion.
23 of 38 attempts were behind the line of scrimmage.
23 of 29 completions were behind the LOS
1 attempt was just to the LOS
13 attempts were beyond LOS, only 5 were more than 5 yds down field.
Of those 5, a 34 yd TD, a 30 yd TD, 2 incomplete, and 1 interception.
(Note: another ball throw more than 5 yds was called a safety for intentional grounding from our end zone)
Sammy Watkins, 236 yds on 16 catches.....caught 2 beyond the LOS!

Now it gets good:
As a team we had 350 yds "after the catch"
Even with a 30 and a 34 yd TDs which, our average catch was made 1.93 yards from LOS.

BUT HOW CAN THAT BE? Watch the game. The 23 balls caught behind the LOS, were caught an average of 3.43 yds behind the LOS!

Just pointing out facts. In no way taking anything away from Tajh........Just saying our offense is what it is. And it works!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can't make a comparison because Cole Stoudt still has...

Jul 11, 2014, 4:55 PM

yet play a full season as a starter. And will be starting his first game this season. No need to compare, anyway. Tajh did great things for us and left his mark as a Clemson Legend, and Cole has the opportunity to do the same this season.

Orange Bowl isn't the best game to look at as far how deep our passes are. The play calling in the Orange Bowl was different than the rest of the season. In the Orange Bowl we threw a lot of short passes to take advantage of the spend advantage we had over OSU's defense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You can't make a comparison because Cole Stoudt still has...

Jul 11, 2014, 5:03 PM

I agree 100%. Tajh took some deep shots down field all season. In the Orange Ball our objective was clear get the ball in Sammy Watkins hands. Our coaching for that game was great. If we can coach like that against UGA and SC this year we will be just fine.

I like Cole but I wouldn't say he has a cannon of an arm. I think we will still see throws behind the line of scrimmage because we have a lot of speed on the outside. If we can pick up 6,7,8 yards every wr screen we throw than i'm fine with that.

Re: You can't make a comparison because Cole Stoudt still has...

Jul 11, 2014, 5:53 PM

I agree with much of your post, except I think Cole Stoudt has a great arm, and he seems like a very accurate passer. Granted, I base that on the limited game experience I have seen him play in since he has been at Clemson and in the Spring games I've seen him play in. IMO, he is a much more accurate passer than Boyd. I don't see him as being as productive at running the ball as Tajh, but we should have a better OL, and we have several very talented RB's we haven't had in the past. (I know McDowell did run pretty well, but I see us as a better running team this year with the talented RB's we now have.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very interesting breakdown

Jul 11, 2014, 4:55 PM

Thanks for the effort.

Do you also have the other WR after-the-catch numbers?

TIA

Re: Very interesting breakdown

Jul 11, 2014, 5:29 PM

Didn't break down individual stats crept Sammy cuz we know they were great. But I can figure pretty quickly

If Sammy had 187 YAC, THEN then the others totaled about 163.

Re: Very interesting breakdown

Jul 11, 2014, 6:57 PM

I was hoping you had done the other WRs individually as you did with Sammy.

No worries.

That was the gameplan for that game

Jul 11, 2014, 4:56 PM

Get the ball to Sammy, let him do his thing. Easiest way to do that is screens. I don't think that's the case for the entire year.

Clemson

^^^exactly^^^***

Jul 11, 2014, 4:58 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My interpretation of your breakdown ...

Jul 11, 2014, 5:03 PM

1) The goal of The Chad's offense is to get the ball to playmakers in space.

2) The large majority of the gameplan is an extension of the running game if you just think of all the behind the LOS passes as long hand-offs.

3) In essence, he's stretching the field horizontally instead of vertically to create space. The converse of this is a play-action, deep passing game that UGA favors which concentrates on stretching the field vertically to find that space.

4) DB's getting off blocks and sound tackling on the perimeter is the key to slowing the Clemson offense down.

Re: My interpretation of your breakdown ...let me clarify

Jul 11, 2014, 5:21 PM

Poor choice of title.......I AM NOT COMPARING COLE TO TAJH

I was trying to point out to superdawg51 that "no matter who the QB is.....THIS IS WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO....AND WE DO IT VERY WELL

I've started doing the same with other games and the numbers will still surprise you!

I'm not being negative at all. I love this offense. One poster very accurately said, "doesn't matter wether you spread the field vertically or horizontally, just spread the field! I hope those of you who thought I was being negative in any way, read this post.

Love Chad Morris's offense, Tajh and Cole. By using "Comparing Cole and Tajh, I just anted to point that superdawg51 may be right......but no matter the QB, in virtually every game Our offense will indeed get the ball to the receiver about 50% of the time. It's how we run outside and it's pretty #### affective!

Jul 11, 2014, 5:26 PM

Wow, I'm thinking faster than typing. Meant to say........

Invite ally very game, no matter the QB, we will get the ball in our receivers hands behind the LOS 50% of the time or more.

Like I said, I've begun looking at my recordings to see what the game by game numbers are. Thus far, the Orange Bowl is a pretty good sampling.

Jul 11, 2014, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Re: My interpretation of your breakdown ...let me clarify ]

I think the secret to Morris' offense is finding what the other team is weak at and putting our strengths in the areas of their weakness, and doing it very quickly, very often. That is his formula, and it works, especially when the pace wears the other team down. Heck, they even will fake injuries just to get some relief, and their coaches don't even mind the dishonesty at some schools.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My interpretation of your breakdown ...

Jul 11, 2014, 5:34 PM [ in reply to My interpretation of your breakdown ... ]

Totally agree. You're missing my point. Just explaining "our style". My title did not properly represent the point I was trying to make.

I will say that maybe the numbers were a bit higher against OSU, but you'd be surprised. Because we pick up yds in such big chunks we as fans tend to think we throw the ball all over the field.......We Don't !
We spread you out and wear you down running 90 plays a game! Again, I love it!

To be fair to Cole

Jul 11, 2014, 7:11 PM

I am not sure Tom Brady could replicate Boyd's numbers this year at CU. Remember, Tajh has Nuk and Sammy to throw to. That cannot be discounted.

cole is undefeated***

Jul 11, 2014, 7:20 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: cole is undefeated***

Jul 11, 2014, 10:05 PM

and also never started a game in almost 5 years, which means he was not as good as the other qb's we played ahead of him. if he was better why did he not start or play more? he may lead us to a nc, no one knows for sure how good or bad he will be. but many questions still remain, and the one thing that is for certain is that RIGHT now he is the best we have.

Jul 11, 2014, 10:19 PM

Why don't you ever use the return key?

Just one long paragraph every time.

You see how spaces between the lines make it easier to read?

HTH that helps

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2014, 10:40 PM

lets get real...even if he was just a smidge behind Tajh he would not have played! No back up does.. And hundreds of teams every year have to replace the starter with a backup and you know what? College football rolls on. Cole will be just fine. No offense but what a ridiculous statement.
You ask why didn't he play????? Did you see the last 3 seasons? We had the best QB in our schools history! It's not like Cole was backing up Kyle Parker..... And even if he was right there with Tajh,,,,,,, you don't just bench a guy like him.

Tajh was the best ever. Cole.... certainly we have to wait and see what happens. But to make an argument that if he was good why wasn't he playing, when he had the best ever in front of him......not a really fair question. As a fan, I choose to be optimistic until I'm given a reason to worry. I have faith in Cole, as a lot of Clemson folks do......no less than Dabo and Chad and the receivers and the OL and the backs and the D.

Jul 12, 2014, 8:00 AM

did you see boyd against the coots and fsu? if he was just a bit worse than boyd why not try him? stout has virtually no experience at all! I just think if he had a lot of talent he would have been used more when boyd struggled. but as stated he IS the best we got RIGHT now. how good that is will be determined starting at Athens.

cole is undefeated***

Jul 11, 2014, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: cole is undefeated*** ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cole vs Tajh comparison

Jul 11, 2014, 10:55 PM

I think that Cole doesn't have as much ability as Tajh; however, I also think that he'll make smarter decisions at times and not throw as many bad balls...something Tajh was notorious for. The question for this year's offense to me is who can replace Sammy for those yards after the catch that the OP mentioned.

Re: Cole vs Tajh comparison

Jul 12, 2014, 8:16 AM

Tajh Boyd was the starter for one reason and one reason only.

REASON: Clemson did not have depth at Running back. Clemson recruited more WR than anything over the past 3 recruiting seasons. Clemson's offensive scheme required a Dual Threat QB to run during short yardage situations.

Now Clemson has a wealth of Running Backs with talent. Cole will not have to run the ball much if any. If you see Cole running the ball then our Offensive Line needs some serious work done to it.

In the Pocket: I believe that Cole Stoudt is a better QB than Tajh Boyd hands down. He is more accurate and throws the ball quicker than Boyd without forcing a play. He isn't afraid of taking a sack or throwing an incomplete pass.

Underneath: Most of Cole's passes I predict will be underneath to a TE or slot receiver.

The Run Attack: With a RB by committee we can continually feed fresh legs onto the field and use a balanced attack against the opposing defense. This will eventually open up an opportunity for Cole to launch a 40 yard pass down field to an open receiver for a huge gain or even a score.

In the RED ZONE: Tajh Boyd hardly threw the ball in RED ZONE Situations. Cole Stoudt will throw in RED ZONE situations underneath. I don't see him throwing a screen pass on a goal line situation.

Check Downs: The key to executing a good check down is finding a weakness in the defense. Then throwing to a man who is open or covered by someone who is not evenly matched with our Wide Receivers. This is Cole Stoudt's best attribute to his skill set.

CONCLUSION: Clemson's offense will do great this season if the following criteria is met.

1. Offensive line provides adequate protection

2. RBs gain at least 4 yards each play on average

3. WR make the catch and attempt to gain yards after catch.

4. Cole Stoudt is able to throw accurately out to a minimum of 40 yards.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic