Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If college athletic programs are so profitable
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

If college athletic programs are so profitable

Mar 27, 2014, 9:56 AM

And they provide so much cash to the universities, then why do tuition costs continue to spiral out of control?

So we are going to pay athletes on the backs of the academic community? Just where is the money to pay these athletes going to come from?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

500 million dollar bathrooms in the

Mar 27, 2014, 10:04 AM

Girls lacrosse indoor training field.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

University and athletic departments

Mar 27, 2014, 10:05 AM

While both depts. represent the univ. the two are funded almost completely from separate sources and entities

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: University and athletic departments

Mar 27, 2014, 4:01 PM

Athletic Departments get funding from the school, otherwise it wouldn't be the "Clemson Tigers" we would be the "Whoever-foots-the-bill-this-season Tigers". Of course athletic departments receive subsidies from the school budget.

Very few athletic departments turn a profit

Mar 27, 2014, 10:17 AM

as a whole.

The football, basketball, and in some cases baseball programs generally turn a profit and subsidize soccer, tennis, track, volleyball, etc.

Re: Very few athletic departments turn a profit

Mar 27, 2014, 10:52 AM

and ALL women's sports

I bet UConn and Tenn WBB make money***

Mar 27, 2014, 1:40 PM

My point exactly

Mar 27, 2014, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Very few athletic departments turn a profit ]

Our athletic department as a whole is not throwing off cash, so where is this salary expense going to get funding from?

1) higher ticket prices/donor levels
2) elimination of non-revenue teams
3) some other source, which inevitably will result in higher tuition/fees

Can't get blood from a turnip!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My point exactly

Mar 27, 2014, 2:44 PM

The groups that will suffer will be non-revenue sports and schools with lower sports revenues. What this will do is increase the gap between the haves and have nots in revenue producing college sports.

But the players don't see that. They see their boss

Mar 27, 2014, 2:49 PM

making millions of dollars are year. They see the tv contract numbers, then they see any thing they do to try to make money is some compliance issue.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

baseball loses money***

Mar 27, 2014, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Very few athletic departments turn a profit ]

Re: Very few athletic departments turn a profit

Mar 27, 2014, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Very few athletic departments turn a profit ]

Well, and they aren't actually designed to "turn a profit." They "reinvest" excess funds into stadiums, AD and Coaches' salaries. If they had to pay players presumably they would spend less on other things and still break even. If they couldn't afford salaries then they wouldn't offer them. There may be some issues with violation of the minimum wage laws, but I would assume something could be worked out on that point.

Athletics as a whole is not profitable.

Mar 27, 2014, 3:07 PM

We're talking about football. Football is not only profitable but it has turned into a business model for these schools.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

And football is the reason schools have Olympic sports

Mar 27, 2014, 3:08 PM

on scholarships...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Not all schools have a football program

Mar 27, 2014, 4:02 PM

they manage just fine.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I beg to differ***

Mar 27, 2014, 4:04 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Evidence of this please? Most schools cancel their

Mar 27, 2014, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Not all schools have a football program ]

Olympic sports programs and do not offer scholarships.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got any proof of that?***

Mar 28, 2014, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Not all schools have a football program ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: And football is the reason schools have Olympic sports

Mar 27, 2014, 4:04 PM [ in reply to And football is the reason schools have Olympic sports ]

But what you're saying is that football players should work for everybody else and get nothing.

I can't agree with that stance.

Football players aren't working for everybody.

Mar 27, 2014, 5:16 PM

You're under the premise people are paying money to go watch one person, they're there to watch Clemson football.

Re: Football players aren't working for everybody.

Mar 27, 2014, 5:20 PM

By that logic, teams shouldn't bother paying coaches a couple million a year, since fans are just there to see clemson football anyway. Who cares how good they are. Bet there will still be 80k in the stands when the team is 5-7 for the season, because who cares.

How is it "by that logic"?

Mar 27, 2014, 5:26 PM

The coach is like the CEO of the team, he's the one making the product of Clemson Football entertaining and good to watch. Ever see how much more a CEO makes over his entry-level employees? Football coaches aren't even making close to the difference a CEO to entry level as Coach to player.

Re: How is it "by that logic"?

Mar 28, 2014, 9:19 AM

Isn't the more analogous situation an NFL coach and his players? I agree that college players would probably make less relative to a coach than in the NFL, but at least the NFL is still football, unlike any random corporation.

Re: And football is the reason schools have Olympic sports

Mar 27, 2014, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: And football is the reason schools have Olympic sports ]

I can't agree with the stance that they get nothing. They get tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship money, an opportunity to get into a school they might not be competitive for academically, the opportunity to enter a training program with trainers and nutrition designed to make them the best they can possibly be at a sport, the opportunity to travel all around the country and receive gifts from bowls, and the opportunity to showcase their talent across the country in the hopes of getting a job in the NFL or in sports media. That doesn't seem like nothing to me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Scholarship money, education, housing, books, food,

Mar 27, 2014, 5:29 PM

specialized tutoring, travel, adoration from everyone.

They get probably about $65,000 worth of compensation to play an effing game.

To those making the argument that they make millions of dollars to the school for just their compensation...

I make $50k a year and bring my company millions of dollars...welcome to the real world.

Re: Scholarship money, education, housing, books, food,

Mar 27, 2014, 5:34 PM

I can't hardly take anything seriously Tiger Woods says anymore since he wants the athletes to split 50% of the revenue their individual sport brings in. I like college athletics. I don't think we should let it be ruined because football brings in a lot of money and doesn't pay the players in accordance with how much they bring in.

If his ideas were put into place, the universities with the 10 biggest stadiums and name brands would be kings for life because players would only be interested in how much money they could make.

Did you like watching Spiller and Watkins in a Clemson jersey Tiger Woods? I did. You wouldn't see that under your plan of paying them based on the revenue the school brings in by individual sport.

I only say 50% of the football player has to pay for

Mar 28, 2014, 9:26 AM

everything including equipment and travel. Which others have suggested.

Re: Scholarship money, education, housing, books, food,

Mar 28, 2014, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Scholarship money, education, housing, books, food, ]

My point is that the open market should set the rate of compensation for players. What that ends up being is another story. I think we can guess what it might be, but the main point is that the players should be paid what they can negotiate for. Right now they are prohibited from entering a true an open market for their services.

Because they are amateur athletes. Unless you want to take

Mar 28, 2014, 9:41 AM

the Amateur out of college sports. Then, you can get former pros and people who are good at this level but never made it in the pros to come in and take up spots. After all, this is now a business and a professional one at that.

Re: Because they are amateur athletes. Unless you want to take

Mar 28, 2014, 9:47 AM

There's no need to remove "amateur" from college football, because it has already been removed.

"Amateur" and its cousin "student athlete" are labels
created by the NCAA in the 50s to avoid workers compensation laws. The point of these recent court decisions is that people have realized that there's nothing amateur about it. These are multi billion dollar businesses.

####, I wish I made 50k.***

Mar 28, 2014, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Scholarship money, education, housing, books, food, ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Track Athlete gets the same

Mar 28, 2014, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Re: And football is the reason schools have Olympic sports ]

scholarship as a football player.

Yet the football player is the one bringing in the revenue to support the track athlete.

This is the problem. At least, as a capitalist I see this as a problem.
A communist probably has zero issue with this scenario.

You act like these kids see playing a game or sport

Mar 28, 2014, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Re: And football is the reason schools have Olympic sports ]

that they love as a chore. They don't. College athletes (at least they should) do it for the love of the game/pride in their school/scholarship opportunity/a possible chance to go pro...and most of all...because they're there to get an education.

Or you could ask the question, if football

Mar 27, 2014, 4:13 PM

programs can pay their coaches millions of dollars a year, could some of that money go to the players who are actually generating the income?

Great point. If Dabo and Spurrier both made $1 million

Mar 27, 2014, 4:16 PM

a year, that would leave a couple of million for other sports.

Yea, and why doesn't my CEO take a paycut and actually

Mar 27, 2014, 9:53 PM

fund the project I want him to?

Re: Yea, and why doesn't my CEO take a paycut and actually

Mar 28, 2014, 9:48 AM

At least a business still has to pay market rate for his employees' services.

There's the answer: We pay the coach and he pays the players

Mar 27, 2014, 4:36 PM [ in reply to Or you could ask the question, if football ]

whatever he wants. He hires and fires them when he wants if he is allowed to by the union. Simple and real world

Each player is paid a wage based on performance and playing time since we have said the non-revenue sports don't deserve pay why should the beach warmers.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah. Don't you know that will work perfectly??***

Mar 27, 2014, 9:50 PM

Much of the athletic income goes to fund...

Mar 28, 2014, 9:56 AM

activities I don't consider sports, golf, fishing and such.

We should definitely add wet t-shirt contest as our only women's sports program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic