Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Venables' plan for Muse/Turner
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Venables' plan for Muse/Turner

Jan 8, 2020, 9:28 AM

How do you think Venables' will scheme with these guys? They are great players that love Clemson and I'm thankful for that, but I'm worried about LSU exploiting them in pass coverage.

Last year we had the luxury of getting a pass rush with the DL, which may have masked some of our weaknesses in the secondary. This year we don't have that luxury.

So how do you scheme/protect Tanner and Nolan in man to man situations? Look for LSU to try and get these matchups all night.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Venables' plan for Muse/Turner

Jan 8, 2020, 9:46 AM

I'm not as smart as Venables, and he rarely does what I expect him to do, but I think a quick easy fix would be to run the same defense we ran in the second half of the Fiesta Bowl but switch Wallace and either Muse or Turner.

Wallace was essentially pushed into the LB position when Simmons went back to safety. I think Wallace is a little better than Muse in coverage and he has typically been strong in run defense and covering backs on flare routes and screens.

Seems like an easy switch which is again why I'm sure Venables will have a very different plan than this.

It will be interesting to see for sure.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look for Venables to bait Burrow into throwing to Muse or

Jan 8, 2020, 9:49 AM

Turner's man only to get it picked like he did on the pick Fields threw to Simmons.

Our safeties are going to give up some pass plays. That's why they're safeties. But, once they get into the red zone, that's where our safeties will force them to kick field goals.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2020, 10:16 AM

Clemson had 41 sacks this year, LSU 30. You think our Dline is getting a little tired hearing about how good they aren't? I know, the sack numbers were helped by blitzing lbs and Isaiah, But come on, our Dline isn't chopped liver. Something tells me they go out there on Monday and kick some cajun ash.

Jan 8, 2020, 10:31 AM

Only 13.5 (33%) of those sacks came from our defensive lineman.

The rest came from our secondary. Also, I never compared our defensive line to LSU, so I'm not sure why you're pulling them into this discussion.

Message was edited by: E36Tiger®

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2020, 11:35 AM

College Football Reference says our Dline had 18.5 sacks, or 45%. LSU had 8. We had 12 of our Dlinemen contribute, while 8 of LSU's chipped in. Our guys made 222 tackles, LSU 176. We had 51 TFL, LSU 25.5. Clemson's Dline had an INT, LSU did not. We had a TD, LSU did not. Clemson had 10 passes defended, LSU had 8. We had 5 fumble recoveries, LSU 1. We forced 1 fumble, LSU 2. Seems to me Clemson's defensive line was much more involved over the course of the season than LSU's. Yet, the ongoing narrative is that our Dline is under the gun. GoooooTigers!!!!!!!! (CU)

Only let Muse cover a tight end or lineman.....

Jan 8, 2020, 10:29 AM

who is treated as a receiver. Do not let him cover any fast receivers.

Re: Only let Muse cover a tight end or lineman.....

Jan 8, 2020, 11:23 AM

the Muse match-up has been mentioned as an opportunity for LSU.

LSU has 3 WRs to cover, the slot is excellent w/ 18 TDs. WRs have 18 & 12 (because he was injured and out much).

Next problem is TE and RB.

TE Moss don't have daddy Rsndy's speed but has great hands, and at 6'5, 250 is difficult to cover.

RB CEH is short but runs routes and catches as well as any WR, he is the matchup nitemare.

Drop many into coverage and TE + RB will be targeted. This is what was not being done until late in the AU game when AU was stopping LSU in the Red Zone. LSU started using these guys and broke thru. In the next game bama tried to drop many into coverage, CEH got 4 TDs.

Yes, you have identified one of the great match-ups of the coming game. Gonna be fun.

LSU broke through Auburn's defense because they were tired

Jan 8, 2020, 11:37 AM

because their offense had no passing game and they could not stay on the field and score points.

Alabama's defense is their most pedestrian since Saban's first year, according to Alabama beat writers.

How much man to man coverage will we actually play? With 4 safeties on the field at once, I would expect Burrow to have a hard time identifying the coverage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2020, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Only let Muse cover a tight end or lineman..... ]

One key piece you nor no one here is placing into this...

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/993

Total Interceptions - Tanner Muse tied for #17 (#38 in order)

Jan 8, 2020, 12:49 PM

One key piece you nor no one here is placing into this...

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/993

Total Interceptions - Tanner Muse tied for #17 (#38 in order)

...2 behind LSU's Stingley and TIED w/ LSU's Vincent.

Jan 8, 2020, 10:24 PM

So you are saying both of them are exploitable then? Must be... That's the logic you are using for Muse. ??

Jan 8, 2020, 11:32 AM [ in reply to Only let Muse cover a tight end or lineman..... ]

Tiger77

Only let Muse cover a tight end or lineman.....
Posted: Jan 8, 2020 10:29 AM

who is treated as a receiver. Do not let him cover any fast receivers.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT COACH VENABLES. SMFH.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2020, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Only let Muse cover a tight end or lineman..... ]

I don’t get why everyone thinks Muse is slow. He is fast.... #### fast. His problem in coverage has to do with ability to change direction quickly, which is a function of hip movement. Speed is not what necessarily makes a good back in coverage.
Speed has nothing to do with Muse struggles in coverage. Muse has plenty of speed. He’s a legit 4.4 guy..... maybe a tad quicker. Anyone that thinks differently obviously doesn’t understand the difference in speed and the ability to cover really well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

I expect the 3-man front we've been utilizing plus

Jan 8, 2020, 11:31 AM

a rotation of blitzing secondary or LB's. Personally I think Muse will have a huge game considering all the plays that should be supposedly coming his way. I expect to see him making plays in LSU's backfield also, i.e. Burrow looking downfield to see who 19 is covering only to have him show up in his grill.

Who knows though. BV is a master and will surely give all of us something to study after the game and further his praise when we hold LSU to 20.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard he is gonna' mess with their minds by

Jan 8, 2020, 11:32 AM

having Muse and Turner paint their arms with dark skin tones while having Wallace and Simmons add lighter "white" skin paint.

Use their racist tendencies against them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Jan 8, 2020, 11:35 AM

The inverted Tampa 2 and Simmon's versatility will allow for BV to move Muse around quite a bit and disguise coverages. They may get burned on big plays a couple of times, but as long as they aren't long TDs, we can stop them in the redzone.

Turner and Muse have to be a little slow jumping the early move so thay don't get totally burned on the double move. Keep 'em in front of you !

Jan 8, 2020, 10:10 PM

Honestly I think anyone of our DBs most likely get beat with the defense we were in and everyone selling out on the run.

There was quite a bit if wide open field to run to for the post. Tough to hang with the receiver on that route with that much open field.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2020, 10:20 PM

Obviously talking about the play where Turner was beat for the TD.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2020, 10:21 PM

Not a popular opinion but Turner is the definition of a liability. Muse at least has speed and size to make up for his short comingS. Turner is just completely outmatched physically. Kudos to him for making the play at the end of the game but he was abused the rest of the OSU game. That attempted open field tackle on the long 3rd down conversion was atrocious.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic