Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Value of Clemson's Nike Deal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Value of Clemson's Nike Deal

Aug 28, 2017, 5:34 PM

Just read this article (http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/louisville-adidas-announce-10-year-dollar160m-extension/ar-AAqHAsx?OCID=ansmsnnews11) about Louisville's 10 year 160 million extension with Adidas.

Got to wondering what Clemson's deal with Nike is worth. The only thing I could find was a Forbes article from last year ranking all schools contracts. This article (https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlybenjamin/2016/07/12/the-65-most-valuable-college-sports-apparel-deals/#3b478fdf308f) says Clemson is ranked 40th at 2.83 million per year behind schools like Wake Forest, Pitt, Syracuse, SC, etc.

Can somebody in the know explain this to me. I hope that I am somehow comparing apples to oranges and that our deal isn't this bad. Thanks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Value of Clemson's Nike Deal

Aug 28, 2017, 5:51 PM

Addidas has no choice but to pay more because schools are leaving them left and right. With that said Louisville is a major national basketball brand. But I am with you our deal with Nike seems to be pretty bad considering our recent success.

Aug 28, 2017, 6:05 PM

We need to be the first to team up with sketchers. Someone will and for WAY more than 3 million per year.

Actually Adidas has been expanding into the NCAA.***

Aug 28, 2017, 9:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Value of Clemson's Nike Deal ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Aug 28, 2017, 6:04 PM

Let's don't underestimate basketball here. It's not like kids flock to the mall to buy football shoes.

Aug 28, 2017, 7:23 PM

I somewhat disagree. Nike is not on our unis to sell football gear they are there to promote their brand. Right now our brand is yuge. I'm not sure if schools negotiate with nike in the middle of the contract but its worth a shot.

Aug 28, 2017, 6:31 PM
IMG_1282.PNG(187.7 K)

It's all about market size, demand

Football doesn't sell enough apparel for a small school like Clemson, our basketball program being mediocre doesn't help either

I mean look at Texas and nike 15 years 250mil

Michigan and Nike 173mil

Our deal with nike is mostly equipment too not cash heavy like bigger schools

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic