Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
VERY DISAPPOINTED
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 4,838

VERY DISAPPOINTED

Jul 28, 2012, 12:52 AM

About the recent cancellations of the ole miss and Oklahoma st series. In my opinion, with our location, our history against some of these schools, we should be playing at least two sec schools a year. A yearly series with Georgia would be nice, but not gonna happen. I'm tired of hearing about the nine game conference along with our annual series with the gamecocks. I know were no USC( the real usc), but go look at their schedule over the last decade. 9 conference games, Notre Dame every year, and usually go out and play not one, but two BCS conference opponents. Most years they only play six home game. There's a reason they're considered a national contender year in and year out. They go out and play like one. If we want to be considered one of the big boys ,it's time we started going out playing like one also. We would still have a seventh home game every other year if we scheduled just one. Southern cal laid the ground work on how to be considered a national power in an otherwise weak conference, maybe it's time we followed their lead.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we want to be a contender yearly we also need $

Jul 28, 2012, 1:29 AM

it'd be nice to make the money USC does and be in a big city and not have to worry about maximizing profits, but unfortunately that's not reality for us. An extra home game means a lot financially and while it'd be great to go out and play teams like that, we need to do what's best for our program!

Re: VERY DISAPPOINTED

Jul 28, 2012, 8:08 AM

totally agree with the Op'r ... Clemson Football would survive with 6 home games every other year . It is greed based economics on the part of the BOT , because we lose a single home game we would fall on difficult times ? Hardly . Sure , we are saddled with the ACC contract and there is a large disparity between ours and some other conferences , but when its all said and done I believe we would benefit much more from a top heavy OOC schedule than we would falter for not scheduling a 7th homer every darn season. Recruiting is up , facilities are on par ... why not continue to grow in national perception and take one for the team . Economics is a cop out on this one .

Jul 28, 2012, 8:42 AM

I am with you!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm with you, too.***

Jul 28, 2012, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Re: VERY DISAPPOINTED ]

Jul 28, 2012, 8:41 AM

You are very accurate. Another example of a team that got relevant because of their tough schedule is FSU. One thing Daddy Bowden did in his career was to schedule tough opponents, and FSU built a name based on that. Now, you do need to win the games, but that sends a message that there is no fear. I, too, would love to see tougher OOC opponents, but with the coaching incentives nowadays, I doubt we see a lot of tough OOC opponents. JMHO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is the norm everywhere now

Jul 28, 2012, 8:44 AM

Conferences are moving to a 9 game schedule which will mean most schools won't be playing 2 non-conf BCS teams and if they do one of them will be neutral site. Say what you want but losing $2+ mil every other year is not a trivial amount of money. I guess if you have an extra mil to donate every year they could adjust the schedule though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That is the norm everywhere now

Jul 28, 2012, 8:13 PM

Big 12 is at 9 games and so far it hasn't been so bad (so far). I have to give it to OU...they got ND this year and next followed by Tenn., Ohio State, and LSU in the next 10 years...although I know this could change at anytime.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHO we play is not nearly as important as HOW we play.

Jul 28, 2012, 9:09 AM

Just win the games we play ... no matter who the opponent ... and sit back and enjoy where we end up at the end of each season.

WHO we play is not nearly as important as HOW we play.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WHO we play is not nearly as important as HOW we play.

Jul 28, 2012, 7:58 PM

Tell that #### to the Boise st and TCU of the world. Who you play means everything!

When we go undefeated, THEN let's worry about it ...

Jul 31, 2012, 1:13 PM

Your arguement doesn't apply to a team that loses 4 games, several by big scores.

For right now, I still say, it's not WHO you play, but HOW you play that matters.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a much bigger fan of the 12 Saturdays that we line up

Jul 29, 2012, 8:56 AM [ in reply to WHO we play is not nearly as important as HOW we play. ]

and have at it than the one game at the end of the season. If we're a championship worthy team then we'll be there at the end regardless of who we play during the season. I hate to see our entire slate get even more watered down every year with the loss of quality OOC games due to a larger and overall weaker conference. I for one don't think the trade-off of having a greater number of weaker teams on our schedule and the opportunity to pad a record is good for our program over more stout competition week in and week out.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2012, 9:21 PM

I can't agree with who we play is not important as how we play. I would love to be in a conference like the SEC where you would have 5 really good home games a year. I would much rather have that than our setup of two good games a year and a better chance for a conference championship. Yes, I know it isnt likely to happen.

We can schedule better than 'Ole Miss / Osu. Bring on LSU

Jul 28, 2012, 10:43 PM

or 'Bama. Let's start making some noise.

Re: We can schedule better than 'Ole Miss / Osu. Bring on LSU

Jul 28, 2012, 11:06 PM

I would like to see the Clemson Football program play another solid team from another conference (other than the SEC) every year.

There are a number of programs that would be fun match ups to see IMO. I think alternating teams from the PAC 10, Big 12, & Big 10 would be fun.

I would also like to see Georgia on Clemson's schedule again, (I think the geographic closeness of the two universities makes the rivalry unique) but understand it's not in Clemson's best interest to make their schedule so difficult that they can't win another national championship.

Thrilled we canceled Ole Miss - ultimate trap series

Jul 29, 2012, 12:12 AM

Ole Miss is easily the weakest program in the SEC and one of the five or so weakest programs in the top six conferences. We would have gained nothing by beating them and lost a lot if we had somehow lost to them.

So, you know they would be weak when we would have played?

Jul 29, 2012, 7:17 AM

Their new Head Coach, Freeze, has a good track record.

We all want to join the SEC. Yet, when we have an opportunity to play a SEC team, we throw that out the window. Go figure.

Good track record?

Jul 29, 2012, 7:27 AM

Is this based on his 2 years at Lambuth, his 1 year at Arkansas St, or his high school days?

You also know we get the opportunity to play an SEC team every year, right?

Uh, a 30-7 record is good, in my book.

Jul 29, 2012, 8:04 AM

What was Dabo's track record prior to becoming our Head Coach.

So, we play our rival every year, which happens to be a SEC team. THAT should preclude us playing other SEC teams?

When did someone say Dabo had a pretty good

Jul 29, 2012, 8:16 AM

track record before he was hired here?

Re: When did someone say Dabo had a pretty good

Jul 29, 2012, 8:24 AM

The fact is that to assume that Ole Miss will be weak in the future is ridiculous. No one can predict the future with certainty.

I never said anything about that

Jul 29, 2012, 8:28 AM

I just questioned your comment about Freeze having a great track record and pointed out that we play a SEC team each year.

And I questioned

Jul 29, 2012, 8:37 AM

the other poster's assumption that Ole Miss would be weak when we were scheduled to play them and stated that playing our SEC rival yearly should not preclude our playing another SEC team.

Yeah I know, I read that, but since then you've been

Jul 29, 2012, 8:49 AM

hitting reply to what I've posted. And now I'll move on with my day.....

Re: Yeah I know, I read that, but since then you've been

Jul 29, 2012, 8:50 AM

Touche.

the kids need

Jul 29, 2012, 8:40 AM

to be separated this morning.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Replies: 25