Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How "safe" do you feel in your job?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 684

How "safe" do you feel in your job?

Mar 30, 2020, 6:36 PM

I feel really good unless this creeps into July/August. Then there are going to be huge issues.

My wife is about 100% untouchable in her work, so we are good there for long term.

We looked at savings and retirement and what we have in the bank and have some strategies that we can implement if we both were out of work, but I just dont see that right now. Super lucky overall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Job? I've hand 3 interviews canceled ............

Mar 30, 2020, 6:39 PM

in the last 2 weeks. Which is understandable with all that's going on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Job? I've hand 3 interviews canceled ............

Mar 30, 2020, 6:42 PM

lowes is supposed to hire a bunch of folks, i have always like that company

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Used to be a great company.

Mar 31, 2020, 8:51 AM

The Ellison guy they brought in from JC Penny has ruined the place for the long-time experienced workers who used to enjoy working there. Home Depot is a much friendlier place to shop now. It used to be the opposite.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Used to be a great company.

Mar 31, 2020, 9:24 AM

There is a Lowe's ten minutes from my house but I'll drive the twenty minutes to Home Depot rather than go there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had two interviews last week

Mar 30, 2020, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Job? I've hand 3 interviews canceled ............ ]

the jobs were cancelled late last week and today. Also had a few irons in the fire on the federal level -the jobs were cancelled there last week as well.

Good luck.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lolutz..just got a turn down letter from Michelin in

Mar 31, 2020, 3:53 PM

Greenville that i never even applied to.

This is the second time I remember this happening with them. Any you people work there? That place seems like it would suck due to their arrogance alone.

Re: How "safe" do you feel in your job?

Mar 30, 2020, 6:40 PM

90% sure I wont miss any work

Oddly, hospitals are starting to lay off

Mar 30, 2020, 6:43 PM

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/sc-s-largest-hospital-system-lays-off-more-employees-as/article_3791e352-3891-11ea-9d6c-0f9ac1dbd58c.html

Wife is a nurse in Columbia. She and a bunch of her

Mar 30, 2020, 6:47 PM

RN friends were told to go home early this week and use their PTO if they want to get paid.

I didn't see that one coming...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Re: Wife is a nurse in Columbia. She and a bunch of her

Mar 30, 2020, 6:53 PM

that is strange, thought they would be needed

That was my thought! *******

Mar 30, 2020, 6:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2020, 6:53 PM [ in reply to Wife is a nurse in Columbia. She and a bunch of her ]

Do we know why? That seems crazy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

She says that the patient load is VERY low at this time

Mar 30, 2020, 7:03 PM

since folks were told to only show up to the hospital if they're dying.

All elective surgeries and procedures have been postponed, etc.

I bet this is a temporary lull between when people avoided the hospitals, and when they are inundated with COVID-19 patients. She thinks by Mid-April, they'll have her working overtime to cover shifts..

Once this is over it will be crazy

Mar 30, 2020, 7:12 PM

or everyone else covid didn't kill will be dying too.

Mar 30, 2020, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Wife is a nurse in Columbia. She and a bunch of her ]

OT starting to spike? Non insured needing help?

Heard about some other areas seeking hazard pay also.

If these folks start striking, or leaving, we're in trouble

Wife mentioned something called "disaster pay"

Mar 30, 2020, 7:24 PM

I think it would basically be $50/hour or something much higher than she currently makes.

She said that they're considering activating it......

Not saying whether or not they should, but if THIS isn't a disaster, then what are they holding out for????

Re: Wife mentioned something called "disaster pay"

Mar 30, 2020, 9:46 PM

I agree!

Hope it works out in your (y'alls) favor.

Not like anyone needs extra stress too

Dated Jan 16th

Mar 31, 2020, 12:42 AM [ in reply to Oddly, hospitals are starting to lay off ]

they might get hired back really soon

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was going to post a few other links

Mar 31, 2020, 10:00 AM

from last week stating basically the same thing, but that one was local. You can google and see the same thing everywhere.

Its funny how everybody’s 401k’s started dropping

Mar 30, 2020, 7:02 PM

Right before the layoffs started. I feel about 99% confident that I’m good as long as this doesn’t go on for about a year. The good part is my job can be done remotely, which I’m doing now and it’s virtually impossible to train someone new remotely, so hiring a new person for less money to cut costs isn’t something I’m worried about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not very.

Mar 30, 2020, 7:06 PM

Been there one year. Almost been killed twicet.

Oh. Having a job-wise.

Mar 30, 2020, 7:25 PM

I’m okay for now. I have about a five month emergency fund and my company that I work for has no debt and millions in reserves. The thing for me is that things are much better for me and my division of my company when gas prices are high. That doesn’t look good right now at all and hasn’t really since about 2015 when oil first tanked. I got out of oil back then voluntarily because I hated the swings every 4 years or so. Now I’m indirectly back in it but have some project work that is non-oil related. Oil does s drive the work for my particular group though.

Mar 30, 2020, 7:08 PM

Not too positive overall, but confident enough I won't starve.

Some may recall my post of giving notice to quit my job a couple months backs. I agreed to give them 4 weeks, and starting hunting for new work. I've been gone from there since the middle of February.

I interviewed a few places, and one finished due diligence checks and was ready to formalize an offer. Then this crap. They're privately owned, and big boss out of country so delayed the offer approval a little. Then they get told that not even visitors are allowed in right now, so postpone the offer till the air clears. So, now I wait. Really want this job, so not looking to replace just yet. Living on a savings cushion that should last a few months, so I'm ok.

If this goes into fall, I'm gonna have to find some temp work or something.

Gratitude is the attitude I guess. I feel sorry for so many without a job, cushion, any savings or otherwise. I feel lucky to have what I have right now. Could always be worse.

I do hope everyone, and your families, in here are all safe, healthy, and this moves quickly out of our way.

TS...

Mar 30, 2020, 11:15 PM

If things go too long for you, contact me back. I could have some temp work to be done starting in the summer.

Re: TS...

Mar 31, 2020, 9:25 AM

Will do! Thanks, Joe!

100% for 3 reasons

Mar 30, 2020, 7:09 PM

1) I deliver above budget at better than ave margins
2) I manage 2 of the largest 5 global accounts in the company.
3) I’m the oldest Global Acct Mgr in the company = Untouchable &

Italians hate employee related lawsuits....

Probably like 90%

Mar 30, 2020, 7:16 PM

because. 80% of that is confidence in my abilities. 10% is the industry we serve.

The unknown 10% is what my company is going to do when they start trimming down the product line, so to speak.

Wife may lose her job***

Mar 30, 2020, 7:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wife may lose her job***

Mar 31, 2020, 12:06 AM

Gave you a TU for sharing, not because of what you shared btw

Stuff like this is hairy when you’re in sales.

Mar 30, 2020, 11:07 PM

There’s a name for salespeople not generating revenue, regardless of fault.....”overhead”.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And for my biz, March is gonna be down 50% off Feb.

Mar 30, 2020, 11:10 PM

No need to pull the fire alarm yet, but I am already slipping into frugal dad mode, where you yell about leaving lights on.

Intradasting...

Mar 30, 2020, 11:14 PM

I am always frugal dad i guess.

I’m a battle-picker.***

Mar 31, 2020, 8:51 AM

Re: And for my biz, March is gonna be down 50% off Feb.

Mar 31, 2020, 12:09 AM [ in reply to And for my biz, March is gonna be down 50% off Feb. ]

Looked at our budget for the first time ever and I’m embarrassed by how much we spent eating out in Feb. I feel bad for small businesses, but this is going to change how much we spend going forward.

Re: Stuff like this is hairy when you’re in sales.

Mar 31, 2020, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Stuff like this is hairy when you’re in sales. ]

I am lucky with my account. No one knows them as well or been in the industry as long. Luckily all my bosses understand that too.

When the lift happens and things start ramping back up, if I am not standing there, there are going to be some large issues with a Top 3 account. I am playing my cards right, staying busy, running reports and keeping my worth up as much as possible.

If this lasts long enough, there aren't many that won't be

Mar 30, 2020, 11:12 PM

looking over their shoulder.

Mar 30, 2020, 11:34 PM

Interesting question.

My job isn’t going anywhere, at least right now. I leave residency and start a 1 year fellowship in July, still don’t foresee anything with that being out on hold unless we go full apocalypse or something. Will be curious to see how the job market looks after fellowship. Have something I think is pretty solid lined up, but fall 2021 is still a ways away. Will be curious to see how 401k losses change retirement plans, happened back in 2009 for sure.

Job security isn’t the thing keeping me up at night though. I’m worried, not really about myself, but about my family. I have two young kids and I really don’t want to take this thing home and get them sick god forbid. My specialty is relatively low risk all things considered, not on the front lines... yet. But 34 employees have contracted this thing, just announced tonight.

Our hospital has “centralized” (read, stashed) all of our masks, gloves, gowns, wipes, sanitizer, and dole them out as they deem appropriate. PPE is being rationed, and I’m seeing people with just a pair of gloves that I’d normally be in mask, gown, gloves, hat. Elective cases have been out on hold but we’re still doing some cancer surgeries. Mostly old, higher risk people.

Do I go live in a hotel away from my family? Send them up to stay w family? Doctors and nurses are dying from this thing... I’ll probably be fine though right?

Just hope this peaks soon and doesn’t get out of hand.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 31, 2020, 12:17 AM

You know this thing better than the rest of us, but if I were in your shoes I think I would send the wife and kids to shelter with family so you could do the job without worrying about them.

As an aside, I was looking at deaths per capita and the US looks to be doing better than many others at the moment. Any insights/advice you can share would be appreciated. One would think that densely populated cities with a lot of people relying on public transportation are going to be the hardest hit. I’m guessing most smaller cities and rural areas will fare much better.

Mar 31, 2020, 12:20 AM

Been laid off once in 20 years since finishing school-textile job at the time. Never thought it would happen to me. That sucked, but was only out of work for a month and everything worked out for the better.

Right now, my wife and I are pretty secure in our jobs. However, I realize nothing is for certain judging from that past experience.

I'm in construction. We always call it feast or famine.

Mar 31, 2020, 12:49 AM

We are about to enter famine. My goal will be to find enough work to keep the bills paid and not burn through too much retirement dollars saved.

I'm not too confident in mine and just waiting on the

Mar 31, 2020, 8:48 AM

other shoe to drop for Sharkgirl's.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty safe for now.

Mar 31, 2020, 8:52 AM

My industry is considered an essential industry and we supply other essential industries such as health care, power, water/sewer.

If this goes too long they could start to look at head count, but i don't think my position would be one on the block. I could be wrong, but i don't see how they could operate without it.

If this turns into a real recession (which seems inevitable)

Mar 31, 2020, 8:58 AM

it's going to hurt. I run a wholesale plant nursery and our business is almost directly tied to the strength of the housing market. I expect to take a pretty big hit.

Re: If this turns into a real recession (which seems inevitable)

Mar 31, 2020, 9:03 AM

Sorry dude. That stinks.

If it gets bad enough that you have time, I'll

Mar 31, 2020, 9:06 AM [ in reply to If this turns into a real recession (which seems inevitable) ]

pay you to come gently remove my holly bushes and replace them with most anything else.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replace with pampas grass, got it.***

Mar 31, 2020, 9:09 AM

Hell nah, I've got 3 of those too.

Mar 31, 2020, 9:15 AM

I think I missed my window to trim them.

Some day, 2 will be gone but one provides some good privacy from the road.

Replace with bamboo, got it***

Mar 31, 2020, 9:15 AM [ in reply to If it gets bad enough that you have time, I'll ]

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, I do need something to build cages with...***

Mar 31, 2020, 9:20 AM

I'm GOOD

Mar 31, 2020, 9:03 AM

Wife of is good too until all of these baby boomers stop moving to the beach from Ohio which isn't going to stop anytime soon.

Only thing we are hedging for is if she comes in contact with the virus and is out for 2 weeks.

But thanks to Trump we are about to have 2 months worth of buffer fund!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

We're concerned, but we've got 10-12 months

Mar 31, 2020, 9:22 AM

quarantine lifestyle cash on hand so not overly concerned about that. The big concern is the baby due July 2nd. One of my wife's team members was furloughed yesterday and on furlough they get 90 days of benefits. Of course we're looking at birth in 95 days plus a few days in the hospital, call it 100. So really we need her not to be furloughed for at least two more weeks.

She could always hop on my insurance, but that would require me still being employed then which is 50/50 at this point depending on when/if we shut down for this thing.

ROH

Thats our biggest concern at the moment

Mar 31, 2020, 9:53 AM

We are both on my insurance plan. Regular bill money isn't the issue I would be worried about, it would be the cost of delivery and everything that comes along with it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

NC have PEBA?

Mar 31, 2020, 9:57 AM

if so, 3k for natural birth.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

There will be no natural birth for us. My wife has requested

Mar 31, 2020, 12:43 PM

all the drugs.

ROH

oddly, so do I***

Mar 31, 2020, 12:45 PM

Fortunately very good.

Mar 31, 2020, 9:26 AM

I'm able to work from home during this time.

I hope you don't have to dip into your savings, especially your savings until it is on your terms and not this situation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

industry wise - buy; family average - hold

Mar 31, 2020, 9:30 AM

we're still selling systems to customers and I'm seeing a lot of our products on the news when talking about the grocery and medical supply chain. I'm still the new guy, so looking over my shoulder, but my book of business is still backlogged and I'm working just as many if not more hours than before all this. Our execution teams have been re-allocated to our "essential" customers (~60-70% of our business in NA).

If this continues and companies have to start squeezing capital, could be trouble (for everyone). Hopefully JPow keeps printing and capex stays readily available and that debt bubble just keeps growing.

1 - 10: prob ~7

dawghater2she not so much. hospitality corporate role. still employed, already taken a pay cut, and now we're scrambling trying to find her a job as we've concluded it's a matter of time. she's got one offer on the table and in second rounds with two other firms.

1 - 10: 4.5

Pretty safe...

Mar 31, 2020, 9:41 AM

we will have a lull in cases settling and new intakes over the first month or two, which will affect income in the short run, but once the industry adjusts to the new conditions of doing business, which it is already doing, things should get back to "normal."

I mean it's a good thing that there are fewer people getting hurt in accidents.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty safe at the moment

Mar 31, 2020, 9:50 AM

We've had to make a couple layoffs, but thats more thanks to NCDOT rather than COVID.

I looked into our savings and we have about 28 months of cash available if both of us are out of work.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

I feel pretty safe. My company manufactures goods, and I am

Mar 31, 2020, 11:33 AM

aware that people can't really buy stuff right now - but I think I would be one of the last people at my company to go if things got really bad.

Wifeof is retired from the state, so she collects a pension (which is nice).

Assuming no inflation - we have cash to last 3-4 years if I got laid off.

We're very fortunate - but we've also never lived extravagantly, so we could have cash if we needed it....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

power industry- aftermarket side- feel somewhat ok for no

Mar 31, 2020, 12:55 PM

team is pretty thin anyway from layoffs. have a buffer of contractors on our team as well.

but the more 'safe' I feel, the more anxious I get feeling like I feel TOO SAFE..and then I freak out.

Also,wife of is in medical devices...some for essential procedure, some not. So it will depend on how jammed up the healthcare systems get..a little worried there. but we can make it on one salary. as long as we have healthcare to cover the kid and wifeof's autoimmune disease (<---scariest part of all, TBH)

*edit...maybe spoke too soon...*

Message was edited by: 3timeTiger®

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Replies: 61
| visibility 684
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic