Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Unless you are just chasing $$'s there is absolutely no
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 3,399

Unless you are just chasing $$'s there is absolutely no

Dec 4, 2017, 11:40 PM

reason to accept a coaching position in the SEC West in the current environment. Little Nicky Saban has that division on lockdown in terms of recruiting, talent, and overall "program". You will not beat him in that game and will be at a constant disadvantage. So long as Saban roams the sidelines of Alabama and continues to feed his program with a constant supply of 5* recruits, they will have more/better talent than anyone else in that division. Since Saban was hired in 2007, it has been darn near impossible for any of the other schools not named Auburn or LSU to seriously compete on a yearly basis for the SEC West.

The likes of Arkansas (complete dumpster fire), Ole Miss (large propane tank fire), Miss State (trashcan fire), and Vandy (a fire that no one cares about) will not be competitive in the SEC West for the foreseeable future - regardless of who those schools hire as head football coach. Time will tell if Texas A&M can buy a competitive ability but I'm somewhat skeptical of their recent hire to get the job done.

Bottom line - I don't think Venables is going to touch the SEC West or SEC East with a ten foot pole in the current environment - the headaches would be many, the fanbase expectations unrealistic, and the ability to sustain any long term success slim.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Almost 0 chance Vandy wins the SEC West

Dec 4, 2017, 11:45 PM

Since they play in the SEC East

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

please... go on..

Dec 4, 2017, 11:47 PM

we’re listening

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you don’t think BV could beat Nick Saban at his own game

Dec 4, 2017, 11:53 PM

You must have missed last years NC

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you don’t think BV could beat Nick Saban at his own game

Dec 5, 2017, 12:23 AM

> You must have missed last years NC

Umm.. In case you missed it BV beat Alabama with a Clemson defense full of developed 3*, 4* and 5* talent. Do you seriously think Arkansas, Ole Miss, or Miss State will be able to pull the same level of talent and depth together in the next 5 years to match Clemson or Alabama? Because anybody taking one of those SEC West jobs is only gonna have about 5 years to produce before they get fired - including the newly ordained Saint Jimbo Fisher at A&M.

Don't get me wrong, BV is a great coach and he is out of this world at developing talent. But BV did not beat Alabama with a roster of average to slightly above average talent at Clemson. Instead, he beat Alabama with a defense of comparable talent. The fact is Clemson is as talented as Alabama with even better talent at specific positions. Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Miss State aren't in the same league in regards to the raw talent on the Clemson and Alabama rosters nor will they be anytime soon. That, among other things, is why they will not compete in the SEC West for the foreseeable future regardless of who is at the helm of those programs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unless you are just chasing $$'s there is absolutely no

Dec 5, 2017, 12:04 AM

Do people really think someone with the personality and ability of BV would turn down the Arkansas job out of fear of opponents? He may very well turn down the job if it's offered, but I seriously doubt it'd be out of fear of competition.

Dec 5, 2017, 12:35 AM

I don't think BV is afraid of competition, but I do think he wants to go somewhere that he can be successful and compete for championships.

Listen for yourself to the interview this afternoon (go to the 38 minute mark):

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/sportstalkwithbo/episodes/2017-12-04T15_32_18-08_00

My honest opinion after listening to the whole interview is that he knew he was talking to an Arkansas "homer" radio crowd and was doing his best to be polite without saying "Arkansas - #### no!".

You gotta also remember, Arkansas didn't cover themselves in glory with the way they fired Bielema. In case you missed it, Bielema was fired as he was walking off the field at the end of the Missouri game. The fact that he was fired is not surprising, but to not have the courtesy to do it in a private setting in a private meeting with his boss probably tells prospective coaches a thing or two about the Arkansas administration/AD.

Dec 5, 2017, 7:02 AM

I kept wondering why they didn’t fire him at half time it’s not like he didn’t or should have known it was coming.His record was not good and any way the ax fell was deserved.No nice way to fire him

Dec 5, 2017, 5:35 AM

IMO.....i have watched coach V during the games and this guy has such a passion for his side of the ball..
?? he gets that glazed over look and he is sitting on dead ready for a fight..
Being a HC will stifle that passion because with it comes alot of headaches and distractions.
I could be wrong but I just don't think that is where he wants to be right now.
He is very happy here and I don't see him leaving; especially with his son on board.

Replies: 8
| visibility 3,399
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic