Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Undergrad Turnout at Basketball & Baseball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,876

Undergrad Turnout at Basketball & Baseball

Mar 1, 2015, 1:15 AM

I've read posts from our old-time alums, our recent alums and current undergrads. What we have here is a failure to communicate. There is a generational difference of opinion which is pretty normal. As a 53-year old alum, I played football, basketball and baseball religiously growing up. I was good at football, bad at basketball and had some good moments at baseball in high school but loved them all. I collected and traded pro cards as a kid, followed ACC basketball religiously growing up in VA and followed pro sports.

As for getting to the root of the generational differences, I have a 15-year old son now. The world is much different. As one example, when I grew up, they held baseball little league, pony league and colt league try-outs. The volunteer coaches gave their time, some were better than others, and every year they first drafted the kids who could hit and field the best - eventually most were drafted. Most teams had a chance because the best players were divided among various teams by age group. At the end of the year, the best players made the all-star team and played other league all-star teams.

As my son has grown up, I've discovered we are now in the age of fathers and full-time coaches creating super teams. Every league now has one or two stacked regular season teams that annihilate all the other teams by 20+ runs per game. These kids are winners, the balance of teams, players and coaches are losers. The winners and their coaches are brash, poke their chests out, peacock and often peak at 12 to 14 years old, but in doing so they turn entire generations of kids into kids who give up on the game. The scenario in baseball plays out in other sports as well. So by the time most of these kids make it to college, they have lost interest and love of the game. They may have interest in watching the best of the best, but they have little interest in average play.

And so the world turns. Any similar or opposing thoughts? Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting take on the issue...

Mar 1, 2015, 1:24 AM

Thats just not what is going on here. Our basketball team is boring to watch and we're not that good. The time of games also is not very attractive. Not too many students are going to make 9:00 PM games during the week and noon games on Saturdays. Studying and hangovers are in effect here. Football is not comparable.

I don't think students who don't attend "hate" the game now since they lost as kids. I can say this because I am student and I know A LOT of kids who love the game just as much as I do, they just don't want to go. Many reasons are given, like school work, other things to do, or watching it on TV is just more attractive. Another possible explanation given a lot is the fact that a lot of out-of-state kids come here. I don't think this is really true either, just an excuse.

Like I said, interesting take on the issue but I have never heard someone say they weren't going to a certain event because losing as a kid to recreation league bullies hurt them too much to start hating the game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK. Agree the pace of play and talent level of teams is down

Mar 1, 2015, 1:39 AM

One and done college careers for the best players mean there is much less talent on the court. I had exciting times watching Gminski, Banks, Spanarkel, Jordan, Sampson, Worthy, Perkins, etc. Now the real talent is in the NBA. Even if Tiger team was average back in the day, the talent of other teams made it worth turning out and Clemson usually found a way to compete.

Not trying to be too psychological, but kids who play all sports usually are more prone to follow all sports. The mindset to play all sports whether you are good or average IMHO seems less prevalent today. Not saying today's kids are bullied ... just bored by predetermined coach-speak and game outcomes and more interested in the video game than the real game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

9pm game not attractive to a college student? LOL.***

Mar 1, 2015, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Interesting take on the issue... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Oooh, quick trigger TD there...well done.

Mar 1, 2015, 11:02 AM

Tell me Mr. TD'er, do you disagree that a 9pm game is not attractive to a college student? Who typically is up until 1-2am?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

good post, I enjoyed your analysis

Mar 1, 2015, 2:41 AM

I think the kids don't come out because of the growing sense of entitlement in these millennial kids....see my rant here... http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1445147&ref=front

I see what you are saying about the youth sports these days. I work at an indoor sports complex and run our youth flag football program. You wouldn't believe how some of these coaches and parents act. In our K-1st grade league, we had coaches running up the score, altering their flags to gain an advantage, not playing all the kids equally, and a host of other shenanigans that made me sick. Some adults still behave like children

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is a chicken and egg argument. Here is my take...

Mar 1, 2015, 6:50 AM

when the team plays well then the fans are more likely to come out and support the team and fill up Littlejohn. But you can also argue that when the fans come out to fill Littlejohn with that energy then the team takes that energy and elevates their game and plays well.

There is no obvious solution since in both cases, one feeds off the other. The bottom line to me is simply whether the fans love Clemson sports enough to care how the team does and come out to support the team. I graduated in 1996 and see how many more things (distractions) there are for students to do now (2015) compared even to when I went to Clemson. Clearly academics is the first priority, however, we always knew when the big games were coming up and made sure to clear time to attend those big games; anyone remember Wake Forest vs Clemson being a Top Five battle at Littlejohn? We all got to see Tim Duncan up close and personal. It was a great game even if we lost a close one.

Anyway, if Clemson sports teams are a priority then the folks (old time Alums and new time students) will come out to cheer on the Tigers. This is not an issue unique to Clemson. How many schools would love to have 6000 regularly come out to cheer on the basketball team or 5000 to cheer on the baseball team. And as for football, an off-weekend for Clemson is 70,000 plus! That is pretty good for any school!

Go Tigers!

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Re: Undergrad Turnout at Basketball & Baseball

Mar 1, 2015, 3:15 AM

Truth.

The love of the game doesn't exist anymore.

As a coach, I have seen athletics deteriorate over the years at the high school level. It's to the point now where your average hs kid can't play on his/ her team for the simple enjoyment of playing. There are 2 main factors in this:

1) peer pressure. Kids hear from their own classmates how bad they "suck" just because they're not an all star (which is quite ironic and comical coming from a kid who wouldn't play to begin with).

2) parent pressure- the "s" word has ruined many a kid. All anyone worries about is a scholarship. And it comes from the top down. Kids are being pushed too hard to be perfect in athletics and the sheer joy has disappeared.

What most fail to acknowledge/recognize is that if you can play, a school will find you. Also, if you don't play with passion then you won't perform. I have seen the love die; parents are doing the exact opposite of what they intended. ...Hurting their child's chances.

As Ten Bears said to Josey Wales - There is Iron in your word***

Mar 1, 2015, 6:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree for the most part ...certainly a contributing factor***

Mar 1, 2015, 9:05 AM

we have a different type of undergraduate now at clemson

Mar 1, 2015, 9:14 AM

Smarter, elite, and "nerdy" ( in a good way). Additionally, there are a lot more entertainment options for them compared to our time at Clemson. Let's face it, we did not have much else to do. Kids today don't play outside like our generation. They sit behind a gaming screen

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point!

Mar 1, 2015, 9:48 AM

It took me a long time to say the same thing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I think there are 3 main reasons we see lower turnout:

Mar 1, 2015, 9:46 AM

1. A generation that doesn't play outside anymore. About a year ago, I was riding through a neighborhood with a coworker when he asked if I noticed anything strange. It was a beautiful sunny day, and he pointed out that there were no kids in sight - not a single one. I'm 55, and when I was a kid, on a day like that you didn't want to be in the house; you wanted to be outside, playing basketball or baseball or football or riding your bike. There was nothing to do in the house, and with only 3 tv channels, it was like being in jail. A kid that had a good basketball goal always had a bunch of other kids at his house showing up to shoot some hoops. We spent hours and hours playing basketball at my best friends house. Now, there are so many other distractions and entertainment options. ####, it's hard to shoot hoops while staring at a smart phone. When these kids grow up, going to a basketball game is just one of many, many options available. Back in the day, there were more kids who grew up following college basketball (and the NBA), and those kids had limited entertainment options when they became college students, so more of them cared about and attended college basketball games.

2. All of the games are on TV. This ties into #1 above. It's just easier to watch a game from the comfort of your own couch or recliner or with friends on TV. I'm sure this affects student attendance to some degree (and attendance in general).

3. Our basketball team just isn't that good. Sorry, but it's true and when combined with the other factors, it's a killer at Clemson. Some schools have great traditions, and consistently good teams; basketball is therefore an important part of the culture at those schools, and hordes of rowdy students pack out the arenas at those schools. It all started with the winning, however; it's a culture built on winning. We have to start winning. Once we do so with just a little consistency (I'm talking about winning more and at a level beyond what we've really ever seen at Clemson), getting students to games won't be a problem. Right now, we have a losing culture at Clemson, built on year after year after year of disappointment. Right here, right now, we have many good, well intentioned fans who are actually happy and excited about being very mediocre; that sums up the basketball culture at Clemson perfectly - that says it all. At this point, with a culture that has very understandably and predictably developed over decades of disappointment, the product on the court must change in order for the culture to change; it CAN NOT and WILL NOT happen the other way around.

Before somebody brings up the fan and student support for football, consider that our football culture and tradition is very, very different. Plus, Clemson football games are huge social events, so naturally we have no problem getting people from all walks attending football games.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Well stated as usual ST, it takes a coaching spark

Mar 1, 2015, 9:18 PM

Agree with your thoughts about kids playing outside. Miss those days.

It usually takes a coach who has the magic touch and the electric personality to recruit and turn the recruits into true believers. See Rick Barnes, Tony Bennett, Gregg Williams.

It takes a coach with strong charisma and presence, and it takes a coaching philosophy that the players buy into and build upon.

Clemson cannot build a program by lucking into a KJ McDaniels type quality player every few years. They will not be in Clemson long enough to make a difference. I'm not sure how Gregg Williams pulled off the program he has built at Wichita State, but he has.

University of Northern Iowa HC Ben Jacobson has built a steady program. He will be a hot coach this year. My belief is D-Rad will hire a coach in next year or two if Brownell does not finish in top 5 of ACC and win an NCAA tourney game.

Re: Undergrad Turnout at Basketball & Baseball

Mar 1, 2015, 10:40 AM

This is a very liberal OP, and I'm confused, bc I'm younger (25) and I feel like all I've ever heard from the old folks is sports aren't sports anymore bc everyone's a winner and everyone gets a trophy and participation medals and ect. And this post is the exact opposite of that and most are agreeing with the OP.

I'll give my personal take on sports. BBall is irrelevant at all levels to me. I did play when I was younger but never real competitively. I just don't care to watch it. Other than March Madness. And Of course I watch every clemson game and attend a few each year but just bc I'm a clemson fan. Not a basketball fan.

Baseball- I attended more baseball games while in school that bball. This probably has a lot to do with the tailgating scene. I'm a big fan of baseball tailgates. Our fraternity like most others would set up our tent. Get the grill going. The tunes rolling. Cold beer. Hot women. Man I miss college.
And honestly I'm not a big fan of baseball in general either. I do follow clemson baseball very close however. And i really enjoy watching abd attending clemson baseball. But MLB does nothing for me. Baseball in general is just slow and boring to me. It's why I quit playing it after my first year of travel ball and stuck with travel soccer. I did have pretty bad ADHD as a kid, could have something to do with it.

The ACC has done that in Basketball for 50 yrs.***

Mar 1, 2015, 11:38 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there may be other factors but the #1 issue is winning

Mar 1, 2015, 11:56 AM

People want to watch winners. I am very involved with a SC high school with a great girls volleyball team. More students show up for their games than boys basketball.
I know ill get the comments about the girls shorts but attendance wasn't like this when they didnt win.

Good input ... Winning. Cannot disagree. Seriously***

Mar 1, 2015, 9:21 PM

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,876
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic