Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Uncle" Bill Greenlee
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,047

"Uncle" Bill Greenlee

Aug 21, 2020, 5:46 PM

Some of you older posters may remember "Uncle" Bill Greenlee, almost as well known as Clemson University. "Uncle" Bill did odd jobs for the people o Clemson, including plowing their garden spots in the spring. His horse drawn wagon with about six dogs flowing along was a common sight around town. "Uncle" Bill sat erect on that wagon seat and always greeted people with a sharp salute.

It was said that many of the townspeople gave "Uncle" Bill a bottle of booze at Christmas. Someone asked him how was the booze and he responded, "just right". "What do you mean it was 'just right'? "If it had been any better they would not have given it to me, and it had been any worse I couldn't have drunk it".

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was great seeing Uncle Bill come by the house on Riggs

Aug 21, 2020, 6:08 PM
Uncle Bill.jpg(140.7 K)

Drive. He would let us jump on the back of the wagon and catch a ride. Great memories.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have never heard this story - what years ?***

Aug 21, 2020, 6:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Unfortunately, most Clemson folk are too young to remember

Aug 21, 2020, 7:04 PM

him, Joe. Good ole times though.

Uncle Bill and the "case quarter"

Aug 21, 2020, 7:34 PM

I was blessed to have grown up in Clemson and certainly remember Uncle Bill Greenlee and he befriended me as a five year old.

He regularly came down the street with his horse and wagon with dogs following as Joe21 says.
One day, my father and I saw Uncle Bill coming towards our house in his wagon and my dad said to me,
"Come on, I want to introduce you to Mr. Greenlee".
When my dad introduced me as "Bill" to "Uncle Bill", Mr. Greenlee got a huge smile on his face and said,
"Well, we have the same name! It's such a good name, I'm gonna give you a case quarter".

And with that he gave me a shiny quarter and I cherished that coin for years and still cherish the memory of that encounter and the man who served people in Clemson for many decades.

**For those tigernetters too young to know about a case quarter, it is a single 25 cent coin as opposed to any combination of coins adding up to 25 cents...aka a "25 cent piece"...aka "a quarter dollar".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Uncle" Bill Greenlee

Aug 21, 2020, 8:09 PM

Uncle Bill Greenlee hauled our garbage during my early years growing up in Clemson. He was asked by some people to come to their children's birthday parties and drive them around the block. He would wash his wagon out and dress up and appear at the home. I attended at least two parties and rode his wagon with the other kids. I have many favorable recollections about him. One he told us was that he shined Thomas Greene Clemson's boots when he was a little boy. He was a Clemson highlight during the 1950 era. Everybody knew him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2020, 8:53 PM

Oh My, I hadn’t thought of him for years. Thanks for the pleasant memories, Joe.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2020, 9:57 AM

I also was raised in Clemson. Uncle Bill Greenlee was a local legend. He was tall, slender and straight as an arrow. He either rode in his wagon or rode his horse. He always wore cavalry style boots with his pants tucked in tied nearly to his knees. One day in the 50's we had a fairly mean dog that jumped on a possum in the front yard. I didn't know whether the possum was dead or was playing dead, but he looked dead. During the commotion between the dog and the possum Uncle Bill rode up on his horse and asked us what was going on. I told him that my dog had killed a possum. Uncle Bill walked over to the possum and asked what we were going to do with him. We said we weren't going to do anything with him. At that moment, Uncle Bill planted one of his boots on the possum's neck, grabbed its tail and gave it a jerk, breaking its neck in the process. Then he picked it up, tied it behind his saddle and rode off with it. Until then I didn't know people ate possum.
Uncle Bill lived to be about 100 and died in the late 60's. There is a famous photo of him as a boy driving Thomas G. Clemson in a horse drawn cart. On FaceBook, there is a group called "The Uncle Bill Club". It has a lot of info and photos about him. There is a movement afoot to erect a statue of him in Clemson. He is quite a legend.

Aug 22, 2020, 10:29 AM

Uncle Bill could be seen riding around in his horse drawn wagon. It is one of my childhood memories growing up in Clemson. Did not know he was a Greenlee, just knew him as Uncle Bill. Those were much simpler times.

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,047
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic