Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Steele talks problems against Terps and previews UNC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Steele talks problems against Terps and previews UNC

Oct 18, 2011, 6:57 PM

Steele talks problems against Terps and previews UNC

Tiger defensive coordinator Kevin Steele fielded questions about Maryland and UNC in his session with the media Tuesday. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

somebody make sure kevin sees this

Oct 18, 2011, 6:59 PM

wait
nevermind

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, evidently I was watching a different game Sat. night ****

Oct 18, 2011, 7:08 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's don't be making our guys having to score 70 to win

Oct 18, 2011, 7:13 PM

Thanks,

HTH

:)

That sounded like one of Obama's explanations

Oct 18, 2011, 7:52 PM

the paragraph that starts out "What happened in a nutshell". My head was spinning by the end of that explanation.

I think the idea was...

Oct 18, 2011, 8:04 PM

If I can confuse the fans (and tell them that only 14 plays out of 81 were bad), then they'll forget about the 38 points and assume that the defense is fine.

And the Maryland coaches can say that they were only 2 plays away from winning that game. (Thanks for those 2 plays, Watkins!)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here, this helps

Oct 18, 2011, 7:54 PM

Re: Here, this helps

Oct 18, 2011, 7:59 PM

Yep, that done it, now I completely understand even less of it.:):):):(:()

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no idea what he said there - can't tell if he was

Oct 18, 2011, 8:03 PM

making excuses, saying everything was okay, or if he was upset with the performance and promising to get it fixed, or both or something in between.

But I do know Maryland's offense lit our defense up pretty good and he's the DC and it's his job to see to it that things like that don't happen.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I hear "a bunch of BS gobblygoo" instead of I screwed up BIG

Oct 18, 2011, 8:04 PM

Be a man, sack up and don't blame the kids for your lack of preparation. Coach Steele is going to lose a lot of respect from Tiger Nation if he can't admit & fix the mess we saw last week.

Most of what he said was that our DL were undisciplined, and

Oct 18, 2011, 8:09 PM

getting out of their rush lanes and areas of responsibility. The Maryland QB was so quick and fast, and I don't think we were prepared for that. We only had one half of film on him, and they did not name a starter until warm-ups.

All that aside, I thought our Defense was caught off-guard, and I think that was Maryland's plan all along. Sometimes you lose the battle and win the war.

One thing to remember, though: their last 5 possessions were 3 lost on downs, 1 punt, and a TD, so we ended up making some plays, even though we were statistically bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

Back off, Dude

Oct 18, 2011, 8:34 PM [ in reply to I hear "a bunch of BS gobblygoo" instead of I screwed up BIG ]

The first thing he said post game was "this was my fault and I'm gonna fix it."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Back off, Dude

Oct 18, 2011, 9:21 PM

the problem is we have heard that a lot out of Steele the same old excuse the past couple yrs ; if he confused us with his jargon imagine what a freshmen linebacker is understanding

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You think he talks to us the same way as a player?

Oct 18, 2011, 9:43 PM

People read way too much into this. They know what they are doing. Steele didn't forget how to coach defense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Um, did he ever? Never been that good of a DC. Saban sent

Oct 19, 2011, 12:01 AM

Dabo a thank you card for hiring somebody he was going to fire. Bama's defense got immensely better after he left.

Re: Um, did he ever? Never been that good of a DC. Saban sent

Oct 19, 2011, 8:51 AM

I usually don't even attempt to read anything KS says. Totally confusing. Never thought he was a good coach for college kids. They appear confused too.

Re: Um, did he ever? Never been that good of a DC. Saban sent

Oct 19, 2011, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Um, did he ever? Never been that good of a DC. Saban sent ]

saban will fire anybody who's light shines as bright as his defensively. by the way you do know why we got rid of ellis johnson don't you?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Back off, Dude

Oct 18, 2011, 9:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Back off, Dude ]

Those freshman linebackers know a lot more about football than almost every poster on this site so I would not be worried.

Agreed

Oct 19, 2011, 10:45 AM

Everything he said is common defensive terminology. If you don't understand it it's because your experience with defensive formations probably comes from video games.

Re: Why didn't he talk about the missed tackles

Oct 18, 2011, 10:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Back off, Dude ]

Tons of missed tackles...primarily due to the fact that most of these players cannot wrap up. They are poor fundamentally. Also, they take HORRIBLE ANGLES!!!!!!

many of those players are still young

Oct 18, 2011, 10:32 PM

and they don't coach this very well in high school.

Thats garbage. Who's young? Hawkins? Christian? Willard?

Oct 19, 2011, 12:05 AM

Hall? Coty? Meeks? Xavier? Brandon? Rennie? Goodman? Branch?

Where's the young player there? Everybody there is in at least their 3rd year here. I'm so sick of people using that "we're young on defense" excuse.

Yes a few of the backups are young, but they play so few snaps they are almost irrelevant.

get over yourself... dude is experienced, we'll be fine.

Oct 18, 2011, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Back off, Dude ]

nm

I personally saw blown assignments on a few plays

Oct 18, 2011, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Back off, Dude ]

One in particular was when the DE crashed in on a zone read play and Brown kept it and got outside. I don't know the scheme but I say keep contain and make them hand it off inside to try their luck against Renni and Brandon.

Steele isn't describing anything complex...it's

Oct 18, 2011, 11:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Back off, Dude ]

fundamental defensive football. Our defensive players have heard that terminology since HS. They ain't confused..just young and and undisciplined.

Here's that garbage excuse again. WHO IS YOUNG????

Oct 19, 2011, 12:06 AM

The second string is young, but they only play 10 or so snaps per game. The starters are all 3rd year or more, several are 5th year players.

STOP USING YOUTH AS AN EXCUSE!! IT SIMPLY ISN'T TRUE!!!

Are you making it your life's work to take down Steele?

Oct 19, 2011, 8:10 AM

I smell a coot. We have a good coach, why are you so angry?

I don't know "Who is young?"....but is is becoming very

Oct 19, 2011, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Here's that garbage excuse again. WHO IS YOUNG???? ]

clear "who is annoying"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I promise you that a freshman LB

Oct 19, 2011, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Back off, Dude ]

understands much more than you do if you do not understand basic technique.

Just because you do not have a clue does not mean Anthony does not.

Why let facts get in the way of a rant?***

Oct 19, 2011, 3:00 PM [ in reply to Back off, Dude ]

"I think I got a niner in there somewhere."***

Oct 18, 2011, 8:07 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

What the..............????

Oct 18, 2011, 8:26 PM

I like him but Bravo Sierra

Honestly this probably came down to preparation.......

Oct 18, 2011, 9:19 PM

Do you prepare for the reigning ACC rookie of the year or some guy who ran pretty good the week before and is not known as a good passer. I think CU prepared all week for Obrien and got Brown instead. Not having much film on Brown also limited them as well.

This...+1***

Oct 18, 2011, 10:33 PM

This guy has more non-excuses than anyone I"ve ever heard!***

Oct 18, 2011, 9:27 PM

Not trying to start anything....but again WHY was Vic

Oct 18, 2011, 9:29 PM

Koennig let go?

not trying to start anything but...

Oct 18, 2011, 10:28 PM

who cares?

Vic didn't respect Dabo. Dabo knew it and tossed him***

Oct 18, 2011, 11:31 PM [ in reply to Not trying to start anything....but again WHY was Vic ]

Re: Vic didn't respect Dabo. Dabo knew it and tossed him***

Oct 19, 2011, 12:55 AM

The staff is supposed to be a team as well...
If not, remove the problem people.

"We eat sleep and fight as a team!" and
"This individuality stuff is a bunch of CRAP!"
as quoted by "George C. "Dabo" Patton"
:)

Third and Long...***

Oct 19, 2011, 1:20 AM [ in reply to Not trying to start anything....but again WHY was Vic ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope the heels bring the cheese this Saturday.

Oct 19, 2011, 9:46 AM

Tigernet is obviously bringing the whine.

Harley

How is that whining?***

Oct 19, 2011, 1:44 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not trying to start anything....but again WHY was Vic

Oct 19, 2011, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Not trying to start anything....but again WHY was Vic ]

I think he was p-ssed that he didn't get the HC job instead of Dabo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His defense at Illinois

Oct 19, 2011, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Not trying to start anything....but again WHY was Vic ]

Gave up 35 to Northwestern this year. Most points NW has scored other than against Eastern Illinois

Re: Front Page Story: Steele talks problems against Terps and previews UNC

Oct 18, 2011, 9:40 PM

If I were being paid the $$$$ to do this job, I might have looked at the previous week and guessed CJ Brown would start. Why?

9 124 13.78 1
He had 124 yards rushing on 9 attempts and 1 TD - and HE ONLY PLAYED IN THE FOURTH QUARTER.

Now maybe the fans would miss that little stat - but no way should a DC ignore that stat. 124 stinking yards in 1 quarter. CJB came in when they were down 21-3 and almost beat GT. Honestly - I thought GT was playing the 4th string guys and ignored that stat - but again - I'm not the DC.

So next time - maybe Steele needs to look at some basic stats of the team that he has to prepare for.

Of course - it might just be that our guys couldn't catch CJB and he was plain BETTER than our D. PERIOD.

The GT game will tell more. But that's next week. Steele will be fine vs UNC and the pro-style O.

JMO.

all very good points, good post.

Oct 18, 2011, 10:29 PM

nm

you should've applied for the job when it was open after Vic***

Oct 18, 2011, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Steele talks problems against Terps and previews UNC ]

Fire Steele

Oct 18, 2011, 9:45 PM

And hire TNET posters for DC.

Shakin the Southland for DC!***

Oct 18, 2011, 11:32 PM

One day, his age will catch his IQ***

Oct 18, 2011, 9:54 PM

D had a bad game, we'll be fine. KS knows what he's doing.

Oct 18, 2011, 10:26 PM

nm

Seems to me the D is having a bad 3 years under Steele

Oct 19, 2011, 12:09 AM

Averaging about 400 yards per game since he's been here.

Over 400 this year. That's TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Re: Seems to me the D is having a bad 3 years under Steele

Oct 19, 2011, 12:47 AM

Steele usually does an excellent job of making in game adjustments. Not sure what happened at Maryland but ordinarily I think hes pretty good at figuring out other teams O and stopping the bleeding. We've been weak at linebacker position and now have a lot of young talent I think he will develop well and keep getting more effective at stopping the run.

Also last year the Defense kept us in games and the high yardage they might have given up had much to do with the frequent three and outs by Offense or Kyle Parker's infamous throw ball across field as going out of bound play.

Just look at the BC game last year. The Defense even put 7 on the board for the O.

We are 7-0 man! Relax, we're gonna be fine!

Oct 19, 2011, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Seems to me the D is having a bad 3 years under Steele ]

Kevin Steele didn't forget how to coach defense. When we need to get a stop, we get it. Not sure what the point of bashing coaches when we are undefeated is really doing for ya... If it makes you feel better, then more power to you. Maybe you can bring your XBOX 360 defense skills in to help us out next year?

Oh yeah, can we fire you after the first game if you give up 400 yards and we still win?

Re: D had a bad game, we'll be fine. KS knows what he's doing.

Oct 19, 2011, 9:44 AM [ in reply to D had a bad game, we'll be fine. KS knows what he's doing. ]

I have seen a few Defensive lapses with KS's teams, but up until Saturday he had done a much better job of making the right adjustments to shut the other teams down pretty good, at least in the 2nd halves. I certainly didn't care for Koening's defenses which always were the "bend but don't break" prevent type defenses that were pretty much certain to give up points in the end. I want KS to tighten it up and teach some tackling drills, and I want our players to be disciplined in their assignments. Our coaches need to hammer that into these guys so they don't have the missed coverages. That is what I expect out of a DC - to make certain our coaches are preparing and teaching these guys what to do, before they learn the hard way what not to do.

LOLOL!!! I am SOOO glad that I wasn't the only one confused

Oct 18, 2011, 11:36 PM

!!!!!!!

I truly, truly thought that I'd get to ask some people on the board to interpret this. I figured that this simply was something that I in my novice way just didn't understand.

I am still laughing.

In a nutshell, what the man is trying to say in a nice way

Oct 19, 2011, 12:58 AM

is the d-line was trying to pad there sack records because they were playing a rookie QB in his first start and did know the boy was fast! Linebackers and CBs were out of position because they were leaning on the D-line to contain and trying for the big play. It took 3 quarters for them to realize they had to play in their lanes and assignment if they wanted to stop them. Once they contained the QB they couldn't really do anything. That's my take on Coach Steele's comments. Some of you need to enjoy the win and be thankful you have the coaching staff you do. How quickly you forget about VT. A season isn't judged on one game alone. It was a win. The Defense made the stops when they absolutely had to and we got the W. End of story.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: In a nutshell, what the man is trying to say in a nice way

Oct 19, 2011, 6:32 AM

You are absolutely correct. Our D was pushing for sacks throughout the first half, pushing a bit too hard and opening up the lanes. It took far too long for them to correct it given the scrambling yards they were giving up but they got it corrected. Brown is as slippery as any qb i have seen this season. He is quick and has great vision/situational awareness. But the offense had their back and we got the W. I doubt we will have these problems with UNC.

Re: In a nutshell, what the man is trying to say in a nice way

Oct 19, 2011, 6:35 AM [ in reply to In a nutshell, what the man is trying to say in a nice way ]

Being in a whole at the beginning of the game didn't help because then the defense was pressing to make big plays. One thing I have noticed is that we don't blitz a lot. We do take a lot of bad angles this year. That could be because the guy they are trying to catch is faster than they think or in practice, they don't run full speed and tackle, so the defense really doesn't get to practice plays like the offense. Guys are so much stronger today than they use to be, so they are harder to bring down too. We do have poor tackling technique and little gang tackling like in our defense's hayday. Look at old school defense and everybody was going to the ball until the whistle blew. Look at the defenses we are playing against and we are blowing them up too. I am sure they are trying to stop us, so it is all relative. Just win the game. Go Tigers!

None of that explains why we remained in man coverage

Oct 19, 2011, 1:13 PM [ in reply to In a nutshell, what the man is trying to say in a nice way ]

throughout the game despite getting burned with the TE screen and the QB read, both of which could have been helped out by keeping the LBS in a zone.

(I like Steele, but I don't like the way he's handling this.)

Oct 19, 2011, 11:25 AM

Needs to bring 5 at all times.Maybe run a Strong Nickel package they have the speed and size with the freshmen LBs.

Oct 19, 2011, 11:27 AM

This is the game Bellamy needs to use his speed,along with Peak and Bryant:time for a fresh infusion.

Oct 19, 2011, 11:30 AM

Clemson needs to have a good front 4 rotation on D you can tell the season and the media distraction has taken its toll.

He doesn't know about Wake?

Oct 19, 2011, 1:11 PM

I mean I know he was just giving coach speak to the media so I really shouldn't pay much attention to what was said in this interview....

but how can he say he doesn't know what Wake's offensive style is?

I think what he meant is he hasn't studied film on them yet

Oct 19, 2011, 2:53 PM

this year because he has been going game by game.

Just my 2 cents.

Oct 19, 2011, 2:59 PM

That made my head hurt.

Perfect example of when reporters should paraphrase

Oct 20, 2011, 11:50 AM

instead of using quotes. This quote from Steele:

"What happened in a nutshell is very easy to explain. It's not like we didn't know what was happening. You've got the two Y-screens [tight end screens] that were big plays. And basically what happened was, the backside guy away from it, for whatever reason - and we've done it I can't tell you how many times - the guy carried the three [technique]."

What??? It may be easy for coach to explain but the sentence is so clumsy and jagged and barely makes any sense.

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic