Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Pollack senses quiet confidence at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Pollack senses quiet confidence at Clemson

Aug 7, 2013, 11:16 AM

Pollack senses quiet confidence at Clemson

ESPN’s David Pollack spent Tuesday at Clemson and came away impressed with Dabo Swinney's confidence on the eve of 2013 season. What did Pollack say were the keys to beating Georgia? What did he say about the term "pulling a Clemson"? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ughh. The dreaded "quiet confidence" talk!

Aug 7, 2013, 11:27 AM

That was the buzz phrase before we played Bama in the Dome.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

A decade ago? Really?***

Aug 7, 2013, 11:45 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ughh. The dreaded "quiet confidence" talk!

Aug 7, 2013, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Ughh. The dreaded "quiet confidence" talk! ]

Forget the Alabama game my friend this is a different team with more talent across the board!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ughh. The dreaded "quiet confidence" talk!

Aug 7, 2013, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Ughh. The dreaded "quiet confidence" talk! ]

more like ignorant confidence.

Bowden had no idea what was about to happen to him that season and slept walked through august

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He saw more games in Clemson as a kid?

Aug 7, 2013, 11:31 AM

Was he targeting to play at Clemson? Interesting statement about seeing more games in Death Valley. You could almost ride a bike from Snellville to Athens....where he ended up playing. (yes, I exaggerate)

But I agree that Gurley may be the bigger threat overall than Murray's arm.

IIRC, his final two were Clemson and Georgia.*****

Aug 7, 2013, 11:51 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He saw more games in Clemson as a kid?

Aug 7, 2013, 11:55 AM [ in reply to He saw more games in Clemson as a kid? ]

Yea I think the UGA strategy is going to be to pound it down our throats. They've got all 5 starters coming back and potentially the best RB in the nation.

However they've also got an incredibly talented QB with a very good receiving corps.

The defense is going to have its hands full.

Aug 7, 2013, 12:22 PM

Their D will have to contain Tajh Boyd, Sammy Watkins, Charone Peake, Martavis Bryant, Adam Humphries, Our TE's, and maybe some Mike Williams. Hot Rod and Howard will be enough of RB's to keep their D honest. They will see Sammy lined up in the back field with Bryant or Peake flying with the ball in their hand. With the skill we have on our Offense, we can and will scheme for a dog D without many returning starters playing in their first game of the season. I like our chances in this one much better than a dog chance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But yall dont play UGa til week 2...***

Aug 7, 2013, 6:06 PM [ in reply to Re: He saw more games in Clemson as a kid? ]

Aug 7, 2013, 5:13 PM [ in reply to He saw more games in Clemson as a kid? ]

I think both his parents went to Clemson. Or maybe that was Francouer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Francouer definitely committed to Clemson at one point

Aug 7, 2013, 5:41 PM

But I never heard that about his parents. Or Pollack's parents for that matter.

Francouer couldn't resist the Braves' offer and backed out, obviously.

He was recruited by us to play TE, but UGA

Aug 7, 2013, 6:14 PM [ in reply to He saw more games in Clemson as a kid? ]

recruited him as a DE. So, he went to UGA. That's what he said about it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well.....

Aug 7, 2013, 11:36 AM

Iddnt that nice!

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Pollack senses quiet confidence at Clemson

Aug 7, 2013, 12:00 PM

If Pollack picks Clemson to win, there will be a meltdown on the UGA boards.

The opposite of what the coach down the road has been saying

Aug 7, 2013, 12:10 PM

According to him, it is all about Dabo throwing around the words, "national championship."

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Killer instinct

Aug 7, 2013, 12:55 PM

I agree, what we need instead of a "quiet confidence" is an attitude of "let's kick their a$$ back to Athens and take no prisoners". We need a coming out of the old media perception, and show the world what we are going to be for years to come. #getnasty

You mean like Sammy did?***

Aug 7, 2013, 6:07 PM

I would love 2 C

Aug 7, 2013, 2:13 PM

this be the BEST CGD atmosphere ever..

from any game, anywhere- love to see ESPN leave saying, "wow, can you believe that crowd!-we gotta get back!"

Everyone should arrive early and be ready to go.

Gooo TIGERS.

Re: I would love 2 C

Aug 7, 2013, 3:25 PM

I hope that we (the fans) don't go quiet if we get behind. It happened at the last two CU/USuC games at Death Valley. When I went to CU (1982-1984) it didn't get too much more quiet even if we were behind. Visiting teams knew better than to try to audible on the student end of the field...ask Boomer! In 1984, Maryland was in the red zone on the student end of the field. The refs. had just warned us for excessive crowd noise. The head cheerleader told the crowd that we needed to be quiet because Boomer could not concentrate. When Maryland came to the line of scrimmage, 84,000 fans all went shhhhhhhhhhhh at the same time. It was eery/surreal. Boomer brutally overthrew a pass. It was the game where we set the Guinness Book of Records record for the most balloons released at one time (365,000?)...which was broken about a month later by Disney World (I think?). CU was in their last year of probation, and could not win the ACC title, but DV was still deafening!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

it only takes one play to get the crowd back in the game

Aug 7, 2013, 3:34 PM

remember Auburn 2011, we fell behind 14-0 just 7 minutes into the game....by the end of game the whole campus was going crazy

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: it only takes one play to get the crowd back in the game

Aug 7, 2013, 3:37 PM

I agree Kobe, but it may take longer for that one play to occur if Death Valley is too quiet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it only takes one play to get the crowd back in the game

Aug 7, 2013, 3:41 PM

It is the fan's job to keep the Tigers motivated and to make the visiting team wish they were back on the bus...for the whole game.

Pollack the traitor....I hope we beat Georgia

Aug 7, 2013, 7:11 PM

just b/c of him.

Aug 7, 2013, 8:16 PM

I don't trust much of what ole Davey has to say. He isn't saying anything we don't know already. I agree w/ the fans needing to be louder. I was surprised last year when our fans started piling out w/ 4 minutes left. Regardless of BS calls fans should be all in especially in a 3pt game (or a 10pt game w/ 4 minutes + possession).

Aug 7, 2013, 9:22 PM

The whole "pulling a Clemson" thing that certain media started awhile back has always been inaccurate. It is/was at best misguided, and at its worst malicious(one way to steer recruits away from Clemson and to preferred schools/conferences like the SEC.
Clemson has always had an awesome fan base/loyal supporters, but the program/recruiting hasn't always been up to standard. Once Clemson started getting the program headed in the right direction with Tommy Bowden, a lot of folks(competitors) knew Clemson would receive a lot of support, and would thus rise up n start dipping their cup into fertile recruiting regions. That's the last thing the giants in college football want to see, a program on the rise, taking recruits/attention away.

Clemson's program has been rising steadily and if anything have overachieved since the hiring of Bowden signaled a commitment to the betterment of the program.

As the program has continued to improve, so has the recruiting, and now Clemson has finally risen to one of the top 3 or 4 recruiting teams in the ACC over the last handful of years.
It always made zero sense to me how Miami and Florida State would continually get the highest rated recruiting classes by far, but generally weren't any more competitive than Clemson, yet Clemson would get dogged out by the media when they lost a game which they deemed significant.
Check this out... here are the top 5 teams as far as ACC winning percentage over the last ten years: 1. V-Tech 79% 2. Florida St. 65% 3. Clemson 63% 4. Georgia Tech 62% 5. Miami 53%. Clemson has fared just as well as FSU and much better than Miami in the ACC over the last ten years, yet there was always this bogus/unfair perception by the media that Clemson was a team that had too many hiccups or underachieved. If you compare Clemson to FSU or Miami over the last ten years, you would find that Clemson has done just as well or better than those two schools, and they did so with recruiting classes which were considered subpar when compared to FSU or Miami.

Here are the records for the top 3 teams in ACC play over the last 5 years: 1. V-Tech 30(wins)-10(losses) 2. Clemson 27-13 3. Florida State 27-13...as you can see, Clemson has basically caught up to the Virginia Tech standard as far as ACC play, and has tied FSU...Miami is 5th with a 22-18 record. In fact, Clemson has whooped V-tech the last few times they have played, which is pretty telling.

Bottom line is its a long season, and every game is significant, and you need good depth to be consistent over the span of an entire season. If you don't have a deep pool of talent like Florida State or Miami to continually draw from, ur at a disadvantage.

The Clemson program/family should be proud that they have scratched and clawed their way to the solid foothold they now have. They have risen to the point where they have many good things in place...for instance, they now have the players to not only compete with the better teams out there, but the depth to consistently do so.

Makes me think when Pollack says Clemson has an embarrassment of riches on offense...Clemson lost their top two tight ends, and really don't have a single tight end with game experience, and TE is important in this offense. How many big time/game changing plays did Dwayne Allen and Brandon Ford make from the TE spot the last few years???
And losing 2 starting receivers in Nuke Hopkins(NFL first rounder) and Jaron Brown(big plays/great blocker) hurts also... How about losing starting running back Andre Ellington, who was clearly one of the top 2 or 3 running backs in the ACC and a top ten guy nationally.

Embarrassment of riches on offense?? we lost 2 of three starting wide recievers, our starting running back, and our top two tight ends, not to mention the leader of our offense line in center Dalton Freeman(now in the NFL)...how about embarrassment of game-production/offensive starters lost from last year??? You cant say we have an embarrassment of riches on offense until it proves out on the field, because much of the offense is going to be relying on guys who haven't had to produce out there on that field yet.

Do I believe the new starters on offense are ready for an increased load/starter status?? yes, but that's yet to be proven, much less praised as some embarrassment of riches...give me a F-ing break Pollack...does Pollack have any eligibility left?? mebbe he can suit up for us at Tight End :P

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic