Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
USuCk Dominance
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

USuCk Dominance

May 22, 2013, 3:06 PM

In 1900, Clemson won for the fourth consecutive time against USuCk. It was only the 5th time the two teams had met. When the teams next met in 1902, USuCk finally won again, whereupon its fans announced, “Well that ended that embarrassment. It won’t happen again for a long time.” They were correct, as the teams did not play one another from 1903-08. When they did meet again, Clemson won three straight. USuCk stopped the bleeding in 1912, only to see the wound reopened from 1913-19, with only a tie in 1915 saving them from seven straight losses. In 1921, USuCk shocked the world with its first win streak in 19 series games. USuCk fans proclaimed, “Now it’s our turn baby!” USuCk promptly lost the next two. In 1926, USuCk capped a three-game run. Feeling they were officially the dominant program, USuCk fans approached the next season with shouts of “one for the pointer finger!” USuCk promptly lost four straight. Again, they righted the ship from 1931-33, dusting off their foam pointer fingers for the 1934 season. The last pointer finger was burned in 1940 in an attempted exorcism as they lost their seventh straight. (Shortly afterwards, UsuCk head coach Rex Enright was seven-bombed by a Westminster elementary school student during a visit to the state capital.) During this time, World War II began taking its toll on Clemson, which produced more Army officers than any other institution except America’s service academies and Texas A&M. With so many Clemson students fighting abroad, UsuCk managed wins in ‘41 and ‘43. It then pieced together a two-game streak in 1946-47 and an impressive five games without a loss from 1949-54, with a tie in ‘50. Having essentially gotten "one for the thumb,” UsuCk fans shouted their superiority to anyone in orange. Clemson then ran off streaks of three (1955-57) and two (1959-60 and 1962-63). The teams traded two-game streaks in 1964-65 (UsuCk) and 1966-67 (Clemson). UsuCk’s seeming last multi-game hurrah came with a three game streak from 1968-70. After that, Clemson ran off streaks of two (1971-72, 2007-08), three (1976-78), and four (1980-83, 1988-91, 1997-2000, 2002-05). UsuCk would not manage back-to-back wins again until 2009-12, evening the ten-game series at .500, raising their twenty-game average to .400, and their series average to .395. Moral of the story: UsuCk is obviously the most dominant program in South Carolina. Always has been. Always will be.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reality strikes! +1.***

May 22, 2013, 3:11 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This post is the awesome. Should be HOF!***

May 22, 2013, 3:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Needs the perpetual 'bump' program.***

May 22, 2013, 3:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bump off

May 22, 2013, 3:32 PM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

pron site?***

May 22, 2013, 3:35 PM

And that, my Friends, is exactly why this older Tiger

May 22, 2013, 6:53 PM

hasn't batted an eye about this little, four-peat episode. Clemson will right the ship soon enough...and all will be right in Tiger Land once again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Harry, you are the Man!!!!

May 23, 2013, 10:05 AM

Numbers don't lie, do they?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and wise beyond your years ! knowledge is gained over time,

May 24, 2013, 6:28 PM [ in reply to And that, my Friends, is exactly why this older Tiger ]

as well as in books. and you, my clemson friend, have done very well with both.

Message was edited by: sgt tiger®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reminds me of this:

May 22, 2013, 7:21 PM

Reminds of the breakdown of how even a 4-year winning streak really didn't change the historical outlook:

http://www.thetigerswag.com/2012/11/a-feat-so-rare.html

What is our record vs usuc in columpia***

May 22, 2013, 7:37 PM

can we get that on a tshirt?***

May 22, 2013, 7:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you are a real tiger fan

May 23, 2013, 10:19 AM

I agree tiger fans al

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Lol

May 23, 2013, 10:21 AM

Posted too quick .... I think I now have myself ignored.... Any point this post it's hof material....

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

2013 begins a NEW Tiger winning streak...

May 23, 2013, 10:30 AM

...the rise of middle earth is OVER and the age of men begins AGAIN.

This needs to be a streak that sends OBS to the showers for the final time.

7 in a row is the magic number for me, although I'll take 8, 9, or 10 with just as much joy.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Re: 2013 begins a NEW Tiger winning streak...

May 23, 2013, 11:18 AM

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

A fifth place ring, that is :)

Bump.......***

May 24, 2013, 7:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ broke out his ohio players album & bell-bottoms.***

May 24, 2013, 7:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent write up, but coots don't understand facts.***

May 24, 2013, 7:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You made a coot so mad that he donated just so he could

May 24, 2013, 4:42 PM

TD you. Well done.

Re: USuCk Dominance

May 24, 2013, 6:15 PM

Of course there was that little 35 year stretch from 1941 until 1975 where Carolina won 52% of the games to Clemson's 42%. That stretch ended when Carolina went independent and Clemson used some questionable recruiting tactics. The next 20 years were 14-5-1 in Clemson's favor. Since joining the SEC, the record is 12-9 in Clemson's favor but that's rapidly closing. Since 1940, Carolina and Clemson have won the exact same number of games if you exclude our independent years. So far as the war is concerned, USC suffered the same loss of able bodied men as every other university in the country did.

on paper, you can make a lot of things look good.

May 24, 2013, 6:33 PM

fact is, since joining the sec, this is your 2nd hof coach, and first winning streak of significance, albeit, while we are ojt'ing a new hc, and i'll take ours all day long !

Message was edited by: sgt tiger®

May 24, 2013, 6:41 PM

I think going forward the rivalry is going to be very even. Once our current streak ends I dont know that we will see a lot of long streaks either way. Both sides are too commited now and any advantages either of us have are balanced by advantages on the other side. With the GOR for the ACC ensuring yall a stable, potentially very good conference going forward neither school is going to be left behind in the the forseeable future.

so, florida, uga, and tennessee are going to stay down?

May 24, 2013, 6:48 PM

usuc will resume it's rightful spot as 4th, 5th place in their own div, not even adding the western div teams, and you think high 3,4 star kids (and a 5 star every blue moon) will still flock to usuc? i just don't see it, when they know they won't even get to sniff a championship.

Re: so, florida, uga, and tennessee are going to stay down?

May 24, 2013, 7:30 PM

We will be ahead of UT for a long time. Not sure they will ever be the same. One of the schools most affected by parity rules and with both of our schools being decent at the same time we both take a lot of kids from sc, nc, and ga that ut needs. This is the new reality for ut. As for us the biggest change has been our administration. Probably no school has historically squandered more resources than us. We are not going back to that now that the administration has seen we can compete. Our problem was always being satisfied with mediocrity. Thats no longer an option. We will continue to make money and spend it on facilities and coaches. Spurrier will leave behind a very attractive job. Things are fundamentally different in columbia now. It is not a coincidence that our football and baseball programs are in their best years at the same time. Basketball will soon follow. I know you wish it were untrue but we are not going away.

To be fair, as much as some of my fellow gamecock fans disagree, clemson wont go away either. The only chance we had to totally pull away was for clemson to get shuffled out in realignment. That isnt happening now. Clemson is an easy location to sell, will remain in a stable conference, and has enough resources to stay competetive. As long as the administration completely supports athletics yall will continue to field good teams.

Both programs have a lot going for them and want to win. Neither has any advantage that will allow them to leave the other behind. Thus, I see a close competitive rivalry going forward.

May 24, 2013, 7:16 PM

we'll win 6-7 games out of 10 for the forseeable future. With the SEC network money we'll be able to continue to upgrade facilities at a much faster rate than Clemson. These facilities and lure of the SEC will continue to attract top recruits and coaches in the future. I don't see anything on the horizon that points to Clemson surpassing us anytime soon. Nothing that happened 10-100 years ago will have any bearing on that.

May 24, 2013, 8:12 PM

I agree Mark. Clemson is not going to be as good to us as we were to them. We fielded terrible teams for most of a 100 years and allowed Clemson to dominate us on a couple of stretches. I don't see Clemson ever fielding teams as weak as we were so they won't make it easy but I just feel that we have too much of a revenue advantage to not win more than we lose going forward for the forseeable future.

May 24, 2013, 8:26 PM

There's no doubt when the Ol' Babbling Coach is retired, coots will regain their original place in the college football world as IRRELEVANT! GO TIGERS!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2013, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: USuCk Dominance ]

I feel pretty good about our chances too. I think in the near future there is a big advantage being in SEC with the brand and revenue. Going forward though I could see the ACC becoming much stronger now that is has been stabilized. If that happens then clemson will be in a really good spot too. Plus, historically, clemson has shown alot of fight when it appeared the ##### were going to pass them. Even though I like where we are there is still an expect the worst attitude for me sometimes when thinking about the gamecocks. I think how our program reacts after losing again will tell a lot about where its headed.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic