Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
USC vs USC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

USC vs USC

Oct 17, 2019, 4:26 PM

There is a reason why nationally people are confused when folks refer to the University of South Carolina as USC

University of Southern California (the real USC)

Seasons: 131
Bowl Record: 34-18
Conference Titles: 39
National Championships: 11

University of South Carolina (the trailer park version of USC)

Seasons: 127
Bowl Record: 9-14
Conference Titles: 1
National Championships: Yeah right, like that'll ever happen

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: USC vs USC

Oct 17, 2019, 4:36 PM

Outside of the state of south carolina, no one, I repeat, NO ONE refers to the univ. of south carolina as USC.

My roommate freshman year kept saying things like "when we play USC.." and I remember thinking "### Clemson doesn't play USC." I had to be sat down and explained what was meant

During my time at CU in the 60's we always

Oct 17, 2019, 4:36 PM

referred to South Carolina as the Chickens, Carolina or USC.

We called Southern Cal just that, and UNC as the Tar Heels or North Carolina. So did the freaking media!

Though die-hard Clemson, I was surprised when the Trojans claimed USC for themselves, as well as when UNC started calling themselves, Carolina. I looked at each as a West Coast space cadet usurp and a typical North Carolina snobby thumb-in-the-eye.

The Gamecocks might be our rivals, but my attitude was we had a right to call them as we pleased, and they as they had always called themselves...and screw Southern Cal and the Tar Holes!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: During my time at CU in the 60's we always

Oct 17, 2019, 4:44 PM

It's just making fun of the Coots, never gets old

Oct 17, 2019, 7:55 PM [ in reply to During my time at CU in the 60's we always ]

So, during that time there wasn't much tv exposure for football at all except 1 game per week. So you never heard how the rest of the country considered USC to be in LA. Now it's obvious that 49,5 states know that USC is in California and laughable when some fool describes SCU as USC. It's their feeble attempt to try to sound big time, because the real USC is big time. They have scores of national championships in all sports.

Oct 17, 2019, 9:39 PM

This is a better representation of South Carolina to the average Tiger fan

Finally a new and fresh, completely original thought!

Oct 17, 2019, 4:41 PM

Just kidding. Like that ever happens around here AMIRITEORWHAT

Here's a little history lesson...

Oct 17, 2019, 4:45 PM

Southern Cal was established and began using the USC acronym first.

In 1801 uof5c was chartered as South Carolina College. The voluntary enlistment of all students into the Army of the Confederacy forced the College to close in June of 1862. After re-opening in 1865, the institution went through six reorganizations and name changes during the last decades of the 19th century, while legislators, administrators and faculties reassessed the institution's goals and struggled to define its mission. Finally in 1906, at the beginning of its second century, the school was rechartered as the University of South Carolina.

The University of Southern California (The REAL USC) was chartered in 1880.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Here's a little history lesson...

Oct 17, 2019, 5:12 PM

So they stole it, the same way the Tigers of LSU stole the term Death Valley from us:

Memorial Stadium has become known as “Death Valley” across the country. It was tagged by Presbyterian College Head Coach Lonnie McMillian during the late 1940s. After bringing his teams to Clemson for many years and getting whipped, he said the place was like “Death Valley.” A few years later, the name stuck.

Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, LA, opened in 1924 and, according to the Associated Press, was situated near a gas station named “Deaf Valley.” It’s clear that, even back then, LSU fans were a boisterous bunch, and it’s possible that the stadium was given that nickname as a result – but it’s still unclear. Tiger Stadium wasn't referred to as Death Valley by anyone in the press until the 1980's, so they stole it from us.

The next time uof5c has an original idea...

Oct 17, 2019, 5:16 PM

will be the first time.

One of their best known traditions is stealing ideas from other more respectable schools.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The next time uof5c has an original idea...

Oct 17, 2019, 5:19 PM

^ditto

So basically, they had no mission until Clemson was created,

Oct 17, 2019, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Here's a little history lesson... ]

and then their mission became to try to compete with us.

Sounds like they were better off when they had no mission.

Re: So basically, they had no mission until Clemson was created,

Oct 17, 2019, 6:14 PM

Oct 17, 2019, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Here's a little history lesson... ]

During one of those reorganizations your excerpt mentioned we actually used the term University of South Carolina.

So we technically used the term USC before California was even a state.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Oct 17, 2019, 7:49 PM

I've heard this argument, which I think makes you look even worse. i.e. If you were first, then why does the entire country (national media, etc.) refer to Southern Cal as USC?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 18, 2019, 4:51 AM

So, as you can see here from 09’s response, even facts seem to get in the way of the typical UofSC fan’s narrative. So desperate to seem relevant, yet not. Just laughable...

Re: NOBODY---I repeat nobody---refers to U of SuCk as USC

Oct 17, 2019, 4:54 PM

outside of Sakerlina.

HTH

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: USC vs USC

Oct 17, 2019, 5:49 PM

No joke. As an out of state freshman, I thought we were going to play the trojans at the end of the season. I was several weeks into the semester before I figured it out.

Defend the coots here:

Oct 17, 2019, 6:24 PM

Bbbbut if they played this year, would be quite the battle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ZERO Bowl victories for USuk for their first 103 years.

Oct 17, 2019, 7:49 PM

A veritable cornucopia of ineptitude.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ZERO Bowl victories for USuk for their first 103 years.

Oct 18, 2019, 2:29 PM

The Country Fried Roosters of Columbia have still never appeared in a major bowl, the Florida Citrus Bowl, maybe it's called the Capital One Bowl, is the Coots best bowl they have appeared in

I fixed it for you: uofsc bs usc.***

Oct 18, 2019, 8:00 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I fixed it for you: uofsc bs usc.***

Oct 18, 2019, 4:25 PM

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic